Gaming Greeks: Capsized Creators Show Apotheon

By John Walker on October 18th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Alientrap, they behind the absolutely superb Capsized, have released a trailer for their new game – Apotheon. Sit up and take notice, because if you didn’t play Capsized, you missed out on one of the best PC platformers in ages. Apotheon is calling itself a 2D Action RPG.

Sword-n-spear based combat is already looking lovely in the 2D paper-craft animation. Embracing the Black Figure style of Greek pottery art, it uses silhouetted figures to what looks like splendid effect to me. We first mentioned it back in February, and now you can see it moving. Take a look:

So Hera has overthrown Zeus, and is taking out her rage on the mortals. You play humanity’s last champion, side-scrolling through the land of the dead in order to infiltrate Mount Olympus. Apparently said mountain is to be a “massive open world”, for the single player campaign. And there are plans for multiplayer deathmatch and team-based modes. Not a lot more is known at this point, but we’ll be hounding Alientrap for more details.

Meanwhile you should definitely check out Capsized via Steam. There’s a demo too.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Hmm-Hmm. says:

That’s a really neat artstyle.

• Eddy9000 says:

Really does look amazing doesn’t it? I always think you can tell a good idea when it makes you think “why hasnt this been done before?”

• Tatourmi says:

Actually what really bugs me is that their style is almost perfectly coherent, appart from the effects they use for weapons and fires, and animal bites. And it really put me off quite a bit. Don’t make sort of “fancy disappearing lanes” behind weapons, none of that ever existed back in the day. Nothing should be transparent, or colourful. They should, in my opinion, have stuck with it to the end.

• Brise Bonbons says:

Have to agree with this, those elements felt very jarring to me. Especially when combined with the fast gameplay and frantic movement…

I guess I just like action and movement a bit more restrained/naturalistic for my slow old eyes.

• crinkles esq. says:

Agreed, that’s definitely the one bit that stood out to me. That, and I’m a bit leery about the combat mechanics. But generally, I love what I see here.

• Magrippinho says:

It certainly looks beautiful, but it’s also a bit confusing from a gameplay standpoint, as your character, and your enemies as well as other things of interest, don’t really “pop”.

It’s not too bad though, thanks to everything being pretty clean & crisp… I bet that wouldn’t have been possible before the trend of high-res sprites… and that’s why we haven’t seen it that much.

In other news, if we were actually using Greek letters, the title in the end would read: “AROTHEOP”

2. Oozo says:

“2D Action RPG” in a world inspired by Greek mythology? Gives me a very welcome “Battle of Olympus”-flashback. Even if it’s nothing like it, though, at already looks absolutely lovely.

3. Crazy Horse says:

I trust not games bearing Greeks.

4. Everyone says:

So Hero has overthrown Zeus

Hera surely?

2D Action RPG

Uh, Diablo was 2d, so was D2, D3, Torchlight …. I could go on. I think they mean “Side Scrolling Action RPG”?

It looks amazing!!

5. Cytrom says:

Nice way to turn a greek vase into a videogame.

6. Ansob says:

That plot has some really unfortunate undertones.

7. El Mariachi says:

Do they know that the logo at the end of the trailer says “LROTHEOP”

People, stop using Greek and Cyrillic letters as the Latin ones they resemble, it looks stupid.

The game looks lovely though.

• Gap Gen says:

Yes, this game looks neat, but its official title is now LROT-HEOP.

• zbmott says:

Actually, transliterated to English it’d be closer to ‘LROTEEOP’– the Η is a capital η (eta). The Greeks didn’t have a letter for our ‘H’, just a diacritical to indicate aspiration/rough breathing. What bugs me most if they had just done it right (‘ΑΠΟΘΕΟΝ’), it’d still look pretty cool.

But yeah, I’m really stoked for the black figure style, and I’ll be buying this one as soon as it comes out.

• Berzee says:

They probably didn’t want everyone referring to their game as Anooeon.

• particlese says:

Moldy physics memories (mostly just lower-case letters and trying to figure out how to write ξ) made me read that as “Apotheop” at first glance, which I think sounds much more amusing, but I like your “ΑΠΟΘΕΟΝ” proposal.

Looking forward to playing this, at any rate!

• Danny252 says:

Thank god I’m not the only one who was confused no end by that letter. Right pain to pronounce, and it sounded like half the other letters, too… (“Ksi!” “You mean Kai?” “No, Ksi!” “Psi?” “No, Ksi!”)

• Grargh says:

I just witnessed this problem again today… and it’s even more fun with people who can’t even paint a convincing curly bracket, but are forced to fight that monster of a letter ξ .

• Prokroustis says:

Ξ(ξ) is ok, who I pity are the Chinese..

• particlese says:

One Greek (not US fraternity “Greek”) guy I know said that a lot of people just make a scribble, and everyone knows it’s ξ. No idea how universal that is, but it certainly sounds reasonable. And even better, it makes me imagine writing huge, elaborate scribbles in place of ξ, and nobody thinking anything of it.

Prokroustis: Here, have some biángbiáng noodles.

• Prokroustis says:

Well, the most common thing is something between a scribble with close resemblance and the actual letter. It really depends on one’s handwriting. It still is not that hard…

• Prokroustis says:

That h would surely be Χ(χ), no?

• zbmott says:

I have read this comment over and over again, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what you mean by it.

• Prokroustis says:

Something about some comparison between some latin and some greek alphabets.

• The Random One says:

How does it compare to qrth-phyl?

8. TomxJ says:

Looks nice! immediately thought of the game Gods if made by Terry Gilliam.

9. Lokik says:

Capsized was a beautiful game and so is this. Happy to see it looks pretty good in motion as well.

10. Lemming says:

I swear this has been done before, and wasn’t there some sort of dispute that two games were doing the same thing? I’m sure RPS covered it or I’ve gone into an alternate reality again.

• Milos says:

If you follow that link to the post back in February you can see it mentioned in the comments. I don’t think there was any dispute, simply two games that happened to have the same visual gimmick

• Nathan_G says:

Aye, that was me that brought that up. The other game was Hellas, and the similarities were acknowledged as coincidental and everyone behaved like a grownup about it and it was all very lovely.

Still, look at Hellas though, being the underdog and all.

11. Idiot says:

The hero should be nude if they are following greek pottery aesthetics.

• Grargh says:

Also, following videogame greek pottery conventions, shattering the whole gameworld should yield a medipack and some ammunition.

12. MrNash says:

Now this looks nice. Always liked this art style. Capsized was really fun from what I played of it, so I’ll be keeping a close eye on this game.

13. Lucretious says:

I’d play this just for the art. Looks fantastic.

14. deadly.by.design says:

It looks pretty neat.

FWIW: The “best PC platformer in ages” only supported 360 controllers. Is it really that hard to support those of us with Logitech, etc, gamepads?

15. Thirith says:

For anyone who likes the visual style and has a PS3: check out Outland. It’s not exactly the same, but visually it feels similar – plus it’s a joy to look at, listen to and (for the most part) play.

16. Andrew says:

While working on this it’s a shame they couldn’t find the time to fix the broken achievements on Capsized.

17. bdd458 says:

I’ve been following an indie game like this, that’s been in development for a while, called Hellas. The dev said this after someone said it looks like Apotheon.

“I’m glad you like the look of the game. The superficial similarities with Apotheon are unfortunate, but they announced after I was already months into development. It was discussed in the devlog thread if you want to know more: Forums.tigsource.com”

Link if you’re interested: http://www.moddb.com/games/hellas

18. ScoutAbout says:

I’d buy this right now.

19. wodin says:

Looks cool. SPARTA! Would like to see a Spartacus game similar with arms and legs flying off..oh and sex..Or Clash of the Titans..or Jason and the Argonauts..

Seriously though the only bit that seemed odd and stood out was the sword swipes..

• Jackablade says:

Someone had a crack at a Jason and the Argonauts game a while back. It managed to be even less accurate to Greek mythologies than God of War is, and didn’t have the most jaw dropping of gameplay, but it was still quite a fun world to explore.

20. purifico says:

The visuals are VERY reminiscent of a 2011 metroidvania-style game Outland. That game was beautiful. Too bad that it’s only available on PSN and XBL.

21. Stackler says:

What a cool idea. I really like the art style!

Comment on this story