A New “The Iconoclasts” Alpha Is Out – Go Play!

By Jim Rossignol on October 18th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Konjak‘s beautiful freeware platformer, The Iconoclasts, has a fresh alpha out, PCG has spotted. It’s right here for you to play. It seems to have been in the wilderness for a while, but no longer, as dev Joakim Sandberg explains: “This game is not abandoned. I released the first alpha version when I was losing some motivation on it and have since decided to come back to it, and I’m giving my best. That version is already quite inferior to what I have now, and you can check out the 2012 alpha for more up-to-date quality, and help me out by telling me if you have problems with that one! Keep in mind, the newer alpha is a bit shorter.” It really is a lovely-looking thing, as you can see in the trailer below.

, .

1. Serpok says:

Best news of the week.

2. kyrieee says:

That header image looks kind of like an opposite sex self portrait, if that makes any sense.

• Droopy The Dog says:

You should probably see a doctor about your eyes then, might be a thyroid problem.

3. TsunamiWombat says:

Yesssss

4. Bhazor says:

Konjak is right up there with the best indies.

I’d support any Kickstarter he started.

5. crummy says:

Immediately searched for this on Greenlight but didn’t find it. Maybe he’s waiting until it’s more complete?

• Dominic White says:

He probably doesn’t need to go through Greenlight – he already has a decently successful game on Steam, so likely has a line straight to Valve.

6. Mr. Mister says:

“Iconoclast”… Hadan’t seen that word since Fallout 3.

• Ross Angus says:

I read it as “Igonoglasts”, because of the trailer typeface.

7. Dominic White says:

I don’t think the game is going to be freeware – last I heard, this is going to be his biggest commercial outing. The current alpha demo is free, though.

8. squareking says:

Not playing this makes you a bad person. Fix that, starting today.

9. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

also, everyone should play Noitu Love, and Noitu Love 2 Evolution, one of which is free, and the other should be owned by everyone through some bundle or other. great games!

10. Wedge says:

I take it this the same one that was in an indie bundle a while back? Had less content than the original, but was more cleaned up and refined iirc.

11. ramirezfm says:

I miss Superfrog

12. Suits says:

Alpha 2012 runs great on Vista, no problems. Gameplay is really slick too from what I’ve seen so far, often reminded of Cavestory in it’s visual combat. Also some Ace Attorney references and Half-Life 2, “settlement 17″.

13. MikoSquiz says:

This looks lovely, but I’ve played enough alphas and betas for a lifetime. I can wait for the final release.

14. Randomer says:

Oh, my my. This does look quite lovely. I’ll probably skip the alpha (so much to play, so little time!), but I look forward to checking out the finished product some day.

• Wedge says:

It’s more like a polished demo than an alpha, less than an hour to play through the most recent one.

15. nemryn says:

The demos of this thing just keep getting shorter, it seems like. Eventually we’ll be down to just the title screen.

16. pupsikaso says:

I don’t mean to Demotivate the author, but in a world full of indie platformers what he’s shown just doesn’t impress. Or rather it doesn’t really stand out. In any creative medium you have only two choices. You either make something new that nobody has ever done before, or you do the same, but you do it better. Like hundreds other indie platformers out there, what I’ve seen here is neither. Please don’t take this in a negative way, but rather use that to motivate yourself to do better.

• Treymoney says:

And you’re giving all of this motivation away for free? Move over, Tony Robbins!

• Totally heterosexual says:

“Just to motivate you: this game that you have but great deal of time, work and love into is going to be complete and utter shit. You may now thank me for the motivation.”

-Pupsikaso 19/10/2012 at 04:11

Lambchops says:

Hooray. Got stuck by a bug in previous alpha but enjoyed what I did play of it.

Oh and if you haven’t already you should really check out Noitu Love 2 and Chalk (which I would absolutely love to see an extended and refined version of as it really was excellent(.