Headshotter Well Good: Sniper Elite V2 Expands

By Alec Meer on October 19th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Hey, that actually looks pretty great. I should probably play it instead of just indulgently posting cat photos

Rebellion’s Sniper Elite V2 was quite good but not great, wasn’t it? Come on, do my job for me, I’m tired. Also lazy. Also playing Retro City Rampage (WIT very soon) has fried my ability to concentrate on anything. Kill me, basically.

My point, if indeed I do have one, is that the quite good Sniper Elite V2 has some DLC, and hopefully that is quite good too.

It is called ‘The Landwehr Canal mission’, it is set in night-time Berlin, and it offers three new weapons, one of which is confusingly an assault rifle rather than a sniper rifle. Hmm, that doesn’t sound very snipery to me. The mission also sounds a little Hitmanny, in that you need to take out three high-ranking generals having a secret meeting.

I can tell you no more, though this link can. Jim asked me to post about this and so I have. But this post feels far too short now, so I’ll extend it by posting some photos of my cat:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sheng-ji says:

Your cat is cute :)

• DarkFenix says:

Though in that second last picture the look in its eye does seem to say “remove the hat, or I remove your face”.

2. Shooop says:

It was an OK game. Hinted at much more potential than it ended up having – I mean, the longest range I’ve ever shot anyone at in that game was about 300 meters. That’s still designated marksman’s range not sniper’s.

And goddamn them for that flak tower level. That was the opposite of fun.

This is one game that absolutely needed to be a sandbox.

3. Phelioz says:

Really cute cat you got, brings a smile to my face :)

4. aamosnyc says:

FUS RO MEOW!

5. subactuality says:

Your cat looks exactly like my cat. That is all.

6. LeMonde says:

Meow.

The second picture is my favourite.

Cute, but dogs are better…

7. serioussgtstu says:

That second photo could be a meme.

8. QualityJeverage says:

I enjoyed the game, the presentation and everything was great. But the levels were so linear and strict, it really hurt the game. I’m not always opposed to linearity, but a game about sniping really begs for a bit of freedom. It ended up feeling like Call of Duty with longer corridors. I would have preferred just a big environment (i.e. any Hitman level), a target, and the freedom to find a good shooting position.

I still had fun with the game, I don’t regret playing it. It’s just a bit sad how awesome it could have been.

• belgand says:

I feel like it also really missed out by not making it Eastern Front. The Russians are the ones who really got into the whole “cult of the sniper” around the time of Stalingrad. Plus working with a large, chaotic urban environment like that really feels like one of the ideal ways to go.

• Shooop says:

That’s exactly what all the talk about the game pre-release made it sound like it was going to be.

If there’s only one game that should have been a sandbox this year, it’s this one.

9. skyturnedred says:

I hope the next DLC adds support for Windows XP.

10. sinister agent says:

Why is your cat hoarding wine? I would keep an eye on this if I were you. The antics of a drunken cat are seldom benign.

11. fabrulana says:

Yay for more Sniper Elite… that is one cool cat BTW.

PS. If those wine bottles got corks you should really store them on their sides – otherwise the corks will dry out if stored for a long amount of time. If you’re like me however they won’t even see next week, in which case it doesn’t matter :)

12. Hodge says:

This of course means that Alec’s cat is now an RPS contributor and should be written into the XCOM diary.

Comment on this story