Hitman: Subtitle Disguises Agent 47 As A Murderer

By Jim Rossignol on October 19th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

God, I love disguises. I can’t go the shop without putting on a beard and some elf ears. It looks like Agent 47 shares the same enthusiasms, too, because in the latest Hitman: Absolution trailer (it’s around here somewhere, I know it) we get to see him dressed as a policeman, a worrying janitor, a hotel porter you would not trust with your luggage, a hired killer (not sure if that’s really a disguise), a lab technician, a samurai, a chef, a… scarecrow? A judge, a cowboy, I don’t know what that is, Robocop, that guy who works at the pub, a hazmat person, a builder, a murderer, a tinfoil hat man, a wrestler/gimp, a chicken…

And so on.

I can’t help looking forward to it. Even if I just end up playing Blood Money again. Because:

, , .

1. Henke says:

Is it just me or does it look like they’ve modelled 47 after Timothy Olyphant (who played him in the movie) in this entry?

• QualityJeverage says:

Maybe a version of him that’s a few decades older. Maybe. Otherwise, I don’t really see the resemblance.

• Miltrivd says:

I think it’s just you. He was a bad fit (aesthetically) for the character and didn’t look anything like it. If they modeled the character according to him it would hardly look like 47 at all.

• Serpok says:

Yes, I saw that too in that and previous videos.

The head shape was definitely altered. Not sure if towards Olyphant, but it does seem that way.

• woodsey says:

He looked different when they changed the engine for Blood Money, this is no different really. He looks absolutely nothing like Olyphant to me.

• Cyrius says:

I think he looks A TON more like Timoth Olyphant now, although 47 is a lot more beefy than Olyphant still.

I think it is more in his facial features than head shape though, Olyphant’s shaved head just looked ‘off’ somehow.

• masidab5154 says:

I thought the nun trailer was in poor taste in the context of the serious tone of that particular trailer, but after seeing this trailer I wonder if the series is taking a turn for the more surreal and silly, and whether the nuns are in keeping with this.

• SavageTech says:

I knew something was different about 47 but I wasn’t sure why, thanks for pointing that out. Never watched Hitman or seen Timothy Olyphant, but there were clearly some design changes to bring him closer to Olyphant’s appearance. His face used to be more gaunt, especially in the cheek area, and he didn’t have suck a wide jawbone/thick neck. Looks like he’s been lifting barbells with his face.

I’ll concede that they started to shift him towards this look for Blood Money, but that was released while the first movie was in production so I’m sure it was a conscious decision. He looks more like the old 47 on the box art for that one, but in-game he’s transitioning to the more Olyphant-esque version.

Personally I liked him better before. He looked a little more “normal” and that helped me suspend my disbelief that a change of clothes let him stroll past guards in high-security areas. This version seems like a bodybuilding murder machine; I wouldn’t even let him into a bake-sale without three forms of photo ID.

2. Chandos says:

Oh giant chicken costume, how I missed you.

• Premium User Badge Carra says:

Hehe, déjà vu there.

• tomeoftom says:

IT RETURNS

• Premium User Badge jezcentral says:

If this had been the first trailer they released for the game, I wouldn’t have had to spend months anguishing over whether IO were getting it horribly wrong and action-y.

Or maybe just a screen-shot of him in the chicken-suit. That’s all it would have taken.

3. LeMonde says:

The arrogance of Agent 47!

Rather than make him more inconspicuous, the undersized plaster (AKA “BAND-AID”) he’s slapped over his bald pate actually make his tattoo stand out EVEN MORE.

Which is nice.

• dee says:

Ohhh, it’s a bandaid. I thought they just normal-mapped his tattoo, for some reason.

4. phelix says:

Dress up for grown-ups! Or serial killers. Your pick.

5. Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Feelins? Look mate, you know who has a lot of feelings?

6. hypercrisis says:

At this point the trailers constitute spoilers. I lose confidence with every post I see on here.

7. Squirrelfanatic says:

I like the chipmunk outift.

8. Pie says:

“The sentence is death!”
    ……..omg what have I done?

9. SuperNashwanPower says:

A judge? If anyone starts making puns I think they should be bar-red.

• MiniMatt says:

LAWFACE

• MiniMatt says:

Hitman: Subpoena

(i’m here all night)

• The Tupper says:

Dreddful.

• The Random One says:

*applauds* This is the best pun this year in RPS. You’ve set the bar pretty high! All rise to match with it now.

• Lanfranc says:

I’m going to acquit this discussion before it gets out of hand.

• tomeoftom says:

I know everyone here’s a bit bit prima facietious about the trailer, but to me it actually seems pretty good. In attorney between this and the new Splinter Cell, the jury is in.

10. SuperNashwanPower says:

Also, the ending of the hitman trailers is ripped off of this
    Ripped off, but still cool.

• ALPHATT says:

who cares? It’s way better than it was in that movie mind you.

11. Crazy Horse says:

That I must go on a rampage is certain.. but what ever shall I wear?

12. Phantoon says:

This reminds me of this comic: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/944

With Kratos being like Agent 47 in this case.

13. Premium User Badge maninahat says:

I feel so bad for that poor man who just was cleared of prostate cancer. Why did they have to put that in? Now I can’t bring myself to gavel everyone to death.

Speaking of which, when I finally get Dishonored, I want to not only ghost it all, but also not steal or permit a person to die. Is it possible to win the game that way?

• Askeladd says:

If the game’s as flexible as they say it’s possible.

• kament says:

Nope. Opening assassination aside, in the very first mission people got eaten alive by rats and there was nothing I could do. People die in droves in the game, and those left alive envy them.

But when it’s not scripted, there’s always a non-lethal way to eliminate your targets, or a way to help someone who is about to be killed, sure. Without “stealing” you get too little money to buy upgrades for your gear, but it’s definitely possible to beat the game without them. Although there’s no stealing per se. No one gives a damn about you taking stuff.

• Locust says:

To put it simply, you cannot reliably finish the game without stealing. You’ll have no money for upgrades which will gimp your combat ability and non-magic powers. You can however finish the game without being directly or indirectly responsible for anyone dying, there’s just a few instances where you can’t save individuals.

• Low Life says:

Except that those combat abilities and non-magic powers are absolutely useless anyway if you’re going for a non-lethal playthrough. Well, they were for me, anyway.

However, if the OP wants to be really pedantic about it, at least one non-lethal option requires carrying the target’s body, and carrying a body automatically loots the money pouch attached to it. So there’s at least some stealing that can’t be avoided..

And of course some runes could be considered someone’s property (hanging framed on the walls etc.), and without those you’d be having a hard time unlocking the skills that make a non-lethal playthrough much less frustrating.

• SavageTech says:

I’ll throw my hat in the contrarian ring and say it can probably be done. There are tons of gear upgrades that are unnecessary if you’re ghosting and going non-lethal (like all the lethal weapon upgrades, body armor, etc). Choosing the non-lethal option for your main targets also tends to get you some good rewards, including the runes you need to upgrade your powers (which again, you’ll need less of because several of them are useless to non-lethal/ghost players).

There are plenty of good items in abandoned areas, so as long as you don’t think stealing is “looting an apartment whose occupants are clearly dead according to the journal on their table” then you should be alright.

As Low Life noted, you do automatically steal from people when you pick up their bodies (and you’ll need to do that if you’re going non-lethal, because rats can kill an unconscious person if you don’t move them to a safe place). Certain areas also require keys, and while you can bypass some of them with other means I’m not certain that applies to all of them since I didn’t try. There’s also one upgrade that silences your footsteps which you’ll really want for ghosting/non-lethal; I don’t remember if the locations it shows up in would require “stealing” or if it’s in a garbage can somewhere ;p

As long as you aren’t super strict about it then you’ll be fine.

14. The Random One says:

I am an assassin. I like to shoot people. I am in charge of assassinating people who figure things out. My motivations are clear only to myself. Sometimes I work for the government. Oh no, they got Freddy. Poor Freddy. He was such a good secret agent. I mean assassin.

15. ChiefOfBeef says:

Inception horn still in there.

*HOOOOOOOOOONNNNK*

16. Hilden2000 says:

Just wanted to say the Scarecrow disguise is bloody brilliant, would be great if you could hide bodies by dressing them up in it.

17. Discopanda says:

That trailer is just fantastic.

18. SketchyGalore says:

Ah, how far we’ve come from lingerie nun shooting. Kudos.

• Eddy9000 says:

• The Random One says:

There is a difference between being attacked by nuns and being able to dress as a hamster. The difference is that you are not forced to dress as a hamster if you don’t want to. One means you can play the serious game in a silly way, the other just means the game is silly.

The real question is, can 47 dress up as a bondage nun?

• Shooop says:

Context. It’s all about context.

The nun thing was just stupid because why the hell would something like that ever happen?

Things like mascots and whatnot are things you can find in some everyday life. And so it makes sense to be able to use those as disguises. Mascots are allowed into certain places the general public can’t go, so that would be perfect if your target’s a sports player or something.

19. Shooop says:

Promising, but I’m still leery about scripted sequences like that escape mission after you kill a target.

I’ll be patiently awaiting the RPS verdict.