It’s A Plan: PlanetSide 2 Launching November 20th

By Nathan Grayson on October 19th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

First we will capture this miserable planet, and then we will finally take down GI Joe once and for all.

Right then, it’s official: PlanetSide 2 isn’t facing a delay or staying in closed beta until 2013 just to taunt you. One day more than one month from now, it’ll be live and freely available for all (well, those with gaming PCs herculean enough to handle it, anyway). It’s been quite some time in coming, but – during SOE Live’s opening keynote in Las Vegas – John Smedley announced that this is it. So the day of reckoning is nearly at hand, but what exactly will it entail? Well, wouldn’t you like to know. And you can, after the break.

Impressively, PlanetSide 2 will launch with all three of the originally planned continents. Right now, Indar and Esamir are in, but soon, the boggy, foggy swamplands of Amerish will splat – like a plate of spaghetti flung at a wall – smack dab in the middle of your never-ending war. Also on the menu: a built-in live-streaming service and a heap of new vehicles. Meanwhile, continents called Searhus, Oshur, and Hossin will be inbound post-launch, as will player-owned bases.

Now then, the question of the hour: will it actually be ready? Jim’s a big fan of the recent spawn overhaul, but there’s still plenty of other bits that need equally well-thought-out nips and tucks. Happily, SOE’s promised to do just that, but a month isn’t a whole lot of time in game development terms. Members of the eventual PlanetSide 2 Totalitarian Holy RPSian Empire, what do you think? Is PS2 a few tweaks away from being in a fit state to launch, or is SOE jumping the gun and shooting itself in the foot?

, , .

1. ch4os1337 says:

I’m in the beta, it’s really great if you get some friends and work together. Right now besides polish I hope they make it easier to level vehicles/weapons because it takes forever.

2. killuminati says:

I got a beta key this week, just played 20 mins, nothing more for loss of time. I’ve never played PS1 before and I was very curious.
    I must say that the first thing that hit me is the performance and the scope of the game. Mine is an average Gaming PC this day (i5+gtx 560ti OCed+8gb). I don’t think you need an HERCULEAN hardware to handle it. Was perfectly fine at high lvl detail for me.
    Maybe if you look for 80 steady FPS in any condition you may need more power.

3. jplayer01 says:

The game isn’t ready. o_O They JUST released a patch which completely removed one form of currency, and they’re planning to release in only a month. There are plenty of other things that need fixing, balancing, and whatever else. That’s insane. Am I the only person who has zero faith in Smedley?

• Schiraman says:

No, it’s not just you.

Smed seems to have some pretty fixed ideas about what will make the game good – and they don’t feature much from the original Planetside, which is a big shame – and a bit mistake IMO.

Also, I’ve not played the beta very much, but the game seems a long way from finished from what I’ve seen and read. As it stands I’m expecting a pretty soft launch and then another six months or so of more-or-less-extended-beta before some kind of re-launch promo when it’s actually ready.

• perilousrob says:

if you’ve not played the beta very much, it seems likely you’ve not noticed the rapid pace of development. Big changes are happening but a great deal of them seem to be tweaking – even if their impact is wide-ranging.
        I’m not saying the game will be perfect on launch, but it’ll be better adjusted than most MMO’s. I just hope SOE dont do their usual & under-provide launch capacity.

• Schiraman says:

I’ve been following the game pretty closely on PSU, and I’ve got to say I’m not convinced (and clearly I’m not the only one). The beta has certainly seen lots of changes, but even now it seems as if various fundamental aspects of the game are still somewhat up in the air.

With only a month to nail all that down, improve performance, introduce final textures, patch in and test a third continent, etc. etc. the dev team are going to need to seriously burn the midnight oil if they hope to launch in any kind of decent state. Can’t say I envy them.

• Ta'Lon says:

Well, I wouldn’t say zero faith but I very much doubt that they will release a well-polished game.

The content is probably there but the technical side still has some way to go before it is release-worthy in my opinion.
      They still have to:
      - implement and test a whole new continent
      - implement the metagame they announced and test it
      - add the rest of the weapons and balance them
      - add the rest of the certs and balance them
      - further improve performance
      - fix a lot of bugs (warping people. non-functional ammo packs, broken platoons, etc….)
      - etc.

I predict a rough launch which is probably going to keep some people from dropping money on this game but maybe the magic code-monkeys at SOE can make it happen.
      I’d like to be proven wrong here.

Crimsoneer says:

Partly agree. Too many massive changes are still being made, and they haven’t even begun to address optimisation and balancing. Amerish probably won’t even begin being tested until early November.

It seems they still haven’t figured out what the game is actually going to be about – the metagame isn’t even implemented yet. They still don’t know how currency and certifications are going to work. There is no way this is going to be ready in a month.

From reddit planetside:
      Zero meta-game implementation/testing. (AKA THE REASON PS1 WAS SO FUN).
      Base designs are disappointing, I thought these were just a “first pass” attempt.
      The HA weapons are a joke as of right now, especially the Lasher/MCG. (Jackhammer is nice, but needs balancing.)
      Platoons are STILL barely functioning, arguably one of the most important features in the game. What happened to drawing on the map, mission system?
      Sound effects need a lot of work.
      Low res textures everywhere.
      Endless amount of misc. bugs.

The vast majority of weapons and certifications aren’t even in the beta yet. I think they’re just going to have to focus on bug-fixing and fix the actual gameplay post launch.

SOE really need to learn from Red5. Having a working game is far more important than a released game.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

As a former SWG player who experienced NGE, I am contractually obliged to have no faith in Smedly.

• Stochastic says:

To answer Nathan’s question, they’re shooting themselves in the foot. I don’t know why so many of these openly developed games end up releasing far too prematurely. I think a better plan for SOE would be to keep the trickle of incoming, fresh beta recruits steady and just keep doing more of what they’ve been doing. Honestly, I think their communication has been top notch and I have faith that, eventually, the game will be fun for the average gamer (myself included). However, as commenters above have noted, at this stage the game needs a few more months in the oven before it’s ready for primetime (blargh, mixed metaphors). Something like an early 2013 release sounds more reasonable to me.

4. Screamer says:

But will it release the 20th on all sides of the planet?

5. Amun says:

I was going to write something long and rambling about how I feel about playing PlanetSide 2, but then the perfect comment came to me — “I’d rather be playing ARMA2.”

Sums it up perfectly I think.

6. Mbaya says:

Well, less negative and more wanting the game to be as good as it can be, I feel the game has a ways to go before I’d call it launch ready.

I’m a Planetside Vet and I’m rather happy with my experience with PS2 and I feel every patch is getting closer and closer to creating a really great game, but it just seems too soon to release, especially with the most recent patch removing the main form of currency for a more accessable progression system.

There’s certainly a lot more I’d love to see in the game too, larger indoor area’s, more objective based gameplay (again, recent improvements to the whack a mole capture system seem slightly better), better access to ‘quick fight’ situations and the like.

What I will say though, is the development team seem brilliant, the interaction with players and the player driven patches is wonderful, it’s clear they’re very passionate about the project and that’s a great thing to see.

Also, as with Planetside…whomever handles their netcode is some sort of wizard.

Needless to say, I’ll be there at launch, unless they do something crazy like add BFR’s between now and then… *whimper*

7. caddyB says:

Too soon, Executus. Too soon!

8. NooklearToaster says:

I think what’s more exciting for me is the announcement that the original Planetside is going free to play as well sometime in the near future. From what I’ve heard it’s a much more tactical game, without all the BF3 mechanics layered in on top of PS2.

Shakermaker says:

I really don’t get what all the fuss is about. I have been in the beta for a week now and I am seriously underwhelmed. It’s a capable shooter at best. The scale makes it interesting, but the gameplay is mediocre.

10. -Spooky- says:

Imperium Thought for the Day: “Happiness is a delusion of the weak.”

11. Thysios says:

I wonder if they’ve fixed the bug where you can fire faster if you have higher FPS.

12. zino says:

If they drop the new pay-2-win subscription I’m up for joining an RPS outfit.

• Dominic White says:

You do realize that you had to pay $50 PLUS a subscription if you wanted to play Planetside 1 at all, right? They’ve dropped the box price and made the subscription optional, and that’s still too expensive, somehow?

People seem to have very strange expectations of F2P games these days.

• zino says:

I don’t mind them taking any amount of money they care too, in fact I prefer it over F2P. The problem is this was not supposed to be a pay-2-win game but turned in to one anyway. Now we have a situation with two strata of players, and I won’t enjoy either side.

• Ergates_Antius says:

It’s not a 1-on-1 game, it’s a team game – any concept of “pay-to-win” is meaningless.

• Dominic White says:

Also, even if someone is a subscriber with every single cert unlocked, they’re maybe 10% more death-resistant than a F2P grunt with the starting loadout.

And F2P grunts will outnumber paid players ten to one. The only big advantage paid players have is that they can deploy vehicles a little more often, but they still have to fight.

• Phantoon says:

What about how some vehicles absolutely need different weapons?

Flash didn’t even start with one, last time I played.

• Asurmen says:

Name a vehicle that needs a different weapon than the default.

• zino says:

Pay2win users deploy vehicles 50% more often than normal users. That is a gamebreaking difference.

The other advantages of paying are not pay2win, XP and all that is just paying for convenience.

• L3TUC3 says:

With the recent change from auraxium to cert points it’s more like play to win.

It’s a smarter choice and the cert gain is dependent on the player and not on the empire’s performance to hold on on to biolabs/techplants. The passive (offline) gain is pretty nice for folks like me who can’t dedicate their life to the grind. It’s fun to log in and have some certs to play with a new gun.

What’s however still a little weird to me is some class/vehicle upgrades. A lot of those use the same slot and any points you put in them I find wasted. For example, if you specced them in the turret for any tank, you can pick either a faster reload speed or more ammo or bigger clip size (if applicable), but cannot use them together. I just stick with more ammo since this allows me to stay in the fight longer. The points spent on the reload can instead be used on something more universally useful like faster repair on the nano-tool or the vehicle repair system.

Anyway, I played PS up to the freebie battlerank limit for a week and then never touched it as there was no incentive to keep playing without paying. Why would I if I could play bf42 or any other same gen shooter for no additional cost but the initial investment? I find PS2 a lot more interesting in it’s current form.

• Phantoon says:

Yeah, it needs to be better about telling you when something isn’t passive, and needs a slot.

• BarneyL says:

I don’t think you can describe a game as play to win if there’s no way of winning.
      Right now what we’ve got is a 1984 style war without end.
      But more to the point there is an issue with the subs\cash purchase scheme. While technically everything is a “sidegrade” many of these make you far more effective at killing things e.g. I can have power armour that can shoot planes and infantry at the same time for free or you can sidegrade to killing one of these twice as fast. When I picked up my second anti air gun my experience game rate increased by a good 50% or more. More experience means more weapons which meand even more experience, the gap is just going to get wider and wider.

13. Tei says:

Some people figure this out months ago. Its not the best decission for the game, but companies must make happy the rich people that own it (shareholders), and a release now will look good in the books.

What this means for us gamers, is that the game will be release in a unfinished state, with gross bugs we gamers never experience because are fixed in alpha. The game is very fun, and I hope at release theres enough people for epic battles every day. Stuff like tank columns with 30 vehicles or infantry zergs trough the land. The game is a screenshot generator, has the rare epicness you only see in that other game EVE.

14. Stargazer86 says:

Way too soon. The game is going to release buggy, unfinished, and untested, and is going to scare off quite a few people by giving a bad first impression.

SOE is well known for shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to MMO’s. *cough*NGE*cough*BFR*cough*.

15. Ateius says:

Alright! Looking forward to getting back into this. I loved the first one.