Now With More Jumping Puzzles: 14 Minutes Of Far Cry 3

By Nathan Grayson on October 19th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Gaze upon its majesty. It beckons to you. Climb.

Yes, jumping puzzles. Far Cry 3 has them. Apparently as something you can do fairly often, no less. That’s one of the many revelations that spring up while two of the shooter/arrower/shanker/lawnmower’s leads play 14 minutes of their game and chit-chat. It’s an impressively illuminating look at many of Far Cry 3′s open-world aspects, including base capture and crafting. A lot of it reminds me of Assassin’s Creed, oddly enough. I mean, there’s jumping. And bears! That’s pretty much all of Assassin’s Creed III, guys.

Seriously, though, doesn’t the GPS tower climbing to reveal the map remind you of AC’s general structure? It should, because it’s the same thing – right down to the stylish exist (EAGLEDIVE in AC’s case, zipline for Far Cry). Death from above also hearkens back a bit, but in a far less blatant way. Wildlife-hunting, too, which seems brutal to a point I’m not sure I’m really comfortable with. But then, that doesn’t make a lot of sense, seeing as games have had me doing the same stuff to humans for years. So I suppose we’ll see/have horrific existential meltdowns over it when the time comes.

Beyond that, however, Far Cry 3′s obviously its own animal. The stealth looks pretty well-tuned – with enemies advancing cautiously to investigate instead of instantly swarming on you and psychically alerting all of their friends in the area – and the prospect of coordinating elaborate traps has me quite giddy. Also, fire. I remain in a state of disbelief over the fact that more games haven’t implemented slowly spreading conflagrations along the same lines as Far Cry. Why not, developers? Why not?

Much like all-consuming fire, Far Cry 3′s November 29th release date is rapidly approaching. Is it on your radar?

Thanks, GameSpot.

, .

1. Ninja Foodstuff says:

I noticed Guild Wars 2 also refers to them as “jumping puzzles” now. Is “first-person platforming” too passé? Or is it just the stigma of really unenjoyable gameplay?

Harlander says:

They’ve been called “jumping puzzles” for a long time, but as far as I knew, rarely positive. It’s always stuff like, “Half-Life was a great game, but all those jumping puzzles really sucked”

• Text_Fish says:

Yeh. Also, I get the “jumping” bit, but are they really puzzles? Surely by the same standards you could call 90% of the rest of the game a “shooting puzzle”.

I’d prefer a smaller world filled with less repetitive tasks tbh. Then again, I loved Far Cry 2′s burning/driving/shooting puzzles, so I’ll probably be equally pleased by this.

Harlander says:

At the risk of sounding tautological, it depends on how puzzly they are.

If you have to move parts of the environment and plan which things you’re going to jump on to get to the right height to get to the next thing, and so on, it’s more puzzly than just having to time jumps to get over a series of gaps…

I dunno, maybe

• MistyMike says:

I’m getting tired of the meme ‘platforming in an FPS, oh noooo!’ (see also: escort missions). I never found it to be that difficult to be able to time the jump to when you are about to reach the edge. It’s not significantly more difficult than platforming from a side view, where I tend to miss jumps/jump to late all the time. In general it’s better when and FPS is not exclusively about shooting. COD has no jumping puzzles, does that make it good?

• Highstorm says:

I’d like to cut off your jib.

Did I use that right? What I mean is: I agree.

• Twoflower5 says:

GW2 is third person, though.

2. Spider Jerusalem says:

his hand looks huge.

3. Cytrom says:

Stealth in FC2 was impossible and broken. Even if you were completely invisible (blocked by several terrain objects) everyone instantly knew where you were exactly even the furthest away enemies began instantly shooting at you, and there was no way to re-hide.

Looks like they went in the opposite extreme. Enemies don’t see you in plain daylight right in front of their eyes within 10 meters. I guess its still an improvement…

Also, lol at the burning guy. Any sane human being would have started rolling around on the floor.. or you know in all that fresh green grass all around, but instead he stands around screaming and burns to death.

• Ucodia says:

I don’t even know if we can call it improvement but FC2 ennemies with a superhero sight surely was irritating and could basically ruin your nicely planned outpost takeover.

But what’s the most shocking to me is that now, we can actually see ennemies throught walls… really Ubi, what the hell is that?

• desirecampbell says:

It looks like that’s the “tagging” system. Using the camera (04:42) or getting the enemy in your crosshairs for a second or so (05:29), will “tag” the enemy with an icon denoting his combat type. In addition to knowing what he’ll be shooting at you, it looks like it allows you to see his silhouette through solid objects (06:28). If you don’t take the time to tag your enemies you don’t get to see them through walls. I think it’s a nice touch. It gives a clear and definite advantage to taking your time and scouting the camp.

I agree that the stealth is way too easy, though.

• Vraptor117 says:

I noticed that those molotovs look seriously weak, there’s almost no flames that spread out on the ground.

• El_Duderino says:

That stealth thing along with the pop-a-mole spawning of enemies ruined FC2 for me (Not only the roadblocks mind you). If those two are fixed this might be an ok game.

• woodsey says:

It was very difficult, it wasn’t broken.

• haradaya says:

The problem with the stealth in Far Cry 2 was it was very reliant on your movement speed. On the PC you’re forced to walk at fixed speeds, they really messed that up.
      The AI was actually pretty sophisticated by standards today. But they didn’t give you any pointers about how it all worked, and I only found out after many many hours of play. They do search the area they last spotted you and such, and they communicate somewhat to let you know what they’re doing.
      I use a Logitech G13 gamepad, it gives me analog movement in all games that support it (which are so few, fekken Xbox controllers). In Far Cry 2 it made it possible to sneak successfully 75% of the time.

• sinister agent says:

Yeah, stealth could be done to a limited extent in Far Cry 2, but not in the “take out everyone without a hitch” sense. It was more in the “hit one, move, hit another, move. Move. Move. Hit another two. Move” sense. Still had its problems, though, and the way enemies could see through dense concealment was very annoying.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

@ Cytrom – I used to think that too, until I figured out the AI responds totally differently at night in FC2. If you want to go stealth, night time is the only option. It makes stalking enemies and slowly headshotting them with the silenced pistol a viable approach. The game looks less pretty at night, losing all those dynamic shadows, but depends what you like really.

• AoXo says:

Actually, you can use stealth in Far Cry 2. The problem was there iss only a handful of guns (silenced Makarov, MP5 and a dart gun) in which you can actually, silently, take down targets. But, believe me – 100% – you can use stealth. You can sneak into camps, AND you can lose them. Try playing Fry Cry 2 again (I have been re-playing it recently, PC). One really good tactic is to displace. One really good tactic is to fire off a round near a gas canister, and then leg it out there (trying to take a route they don’t see you). The guards will go and inspect the area they heard the shot come from (the gas canister)… I’m sure you can guess the rest. Other than that displacement is still a good tactic, you just have to try and stay hidden behind rocks. The true stealth approach (no shooting) is possible, but difficult (as it should be). Using the machete though is pointless as it takes 2 stabs to kill someone and they usually fire off a round or alert others before you can kill them.

The secondary problem with it was that enemies could see you through bushes and stuff (what games don’t have that issue?).

But be sure: you can use stealth in Far Cry 2… it’s just not the same as in other games where the AI is programmed to ignore you if you are in “stealth mode”.

4. Nemon says:

Why can’t they just call it annoying filler?

• Prime says:

When you break a game right down, shoving a group of enemies iin-between you and your objective is also filler, so I’m not entirely sure what your beef is. Face it, you’d be bored if you just had to monotonously climb a tower with nothing to think about on the way up, wouldn’t you? They make sense in the world and grant the player a chance for a good look around. as well as being places where you can loot items. Win win, as far as I’m concerned.

• Nemon says:

You have annoying filler, and you have good filler. I find jumping puzzles the former and shooting, torching, stealthkilling, firebombing, sneaking past etc (hopfully) clever AI the latter. I was not referring to climbing a tower an annoying part of it, as I quite enjoyed that in AssCreed for instance. But that is a game about climbing and jumping, with some weird mega conspiracy story somewhere within.

• Yosharian says:

Well I have to disagree there, I’ve had fun in other games with such gameplay. For example the game Mirror’s Edge is almost entirely made up of jumping puzzles, and that game was awesome.

• Vraptor117 says:

The hunting/crafting BS is definitely filler. I need to craft a holster? Why can’t I just buy one or take one off a dead guy?

5. noodlecake says:

This looks fun. Definitely interested. I think the tower climbing things are a good idea. They break up the action and let you take in the gorgeous landscapes.

• dee says:

Yeah, by yanking your eyes out of your head and shoving them in the interesting bits. Then they mark out enemy locations with nice ambient smoke stacks, so does it balance out?

• Yosharian says:

Yeah that part is really stupid, I guess we can overlook it as long as the core ‘fun’ parts of discovery are there?

• Grargh says:

Agree that the tower mechanic is a nice idea, also that forcefully showing all the stuff is very silly. But what I found most disturbing is the suicidal zipline exit. Seriously, how is that any less lethal than jumping straight down?

6. Network Crayon says:

Wish my digital camera let me tag people and see them through walls….

• Vraptor117 says:

I’m pretty sure tagging people was in FC2, despite what that guy was saying.

• Flukie says:

Yeah I think you had Binoculars that could do the same.

• haradaya says:

No, you could tag things like ammo stands, first aid boxes, and vehicles. You couldn’t tag people.

I might avoid the tagging in FC3, because that really seems to take out all the chaos of combat when you know where everyone is at all times.

• woodsey says:

You tagged equipment drops, sniper nests, vehicles, stuff like that. But you’d only be able to see them if you physically pulled out the in-game map.

This is a pretty big leap.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Its much closer to the binocs in Far Cry 1 which were awesome. When you looked through them you would get a little green indicator showing up the enemies (even through undergrowth, but not through walls), and a parabolic microphone effect so you could hear their conversations or if jeeps / choppers were moving in the area. Mercs have boring conversations. Once tagged, they showed up on your HUD radar.

Even once the AI was added to your HUD, it wasn’t easy peasy though – guessing range from it could be hit or miss. It wasn’t so much knowing where everyone is all the time, more a general “there’s a dude somewhere round here”. They could still get the drop on you, and that lead to some awesome tense moments in the undergrowth, wondering if it was you sneaking up on the enemy, or vice versa. It actually added to the game, rather than taking away.

God I loved that game, mutants and all! (Just whip out the auto shotgun, no more mutie)

• Yosharian says:

This kind of thing always makes me think, why can’t the bloody developers think of a way to insert this into the game with a REASON. I mean, I struggle to think of what that could be, but surely they could try. Perhaps a heartbeat monitor that you find during a particular quest or something? I don’t know.

7. Jason Moyer says:

This looks better than all of the previous videos/trailers had let me to believe.

• Ross Angus says:

I agree. I was lukewarm about the game, until now. Good commentary too.

• Donjo says:

Yeah, I’m interested again after the last few terrible videos. And yes, the commentary was great! “A plucky young hero who hears the call of duty and an opportunity for a medal of honour so he heads out into the battlefield to try and resolve the crisis in uncharted territory… and it’s kind of the borderland between…” I was giggling :)

8. Stormbane says:

This looks amazing! If every game added open world and rpg elements it would be fine by me. :D

9. Prime says:

Finally, Far Cry 3 does something to get me interested. I think I’m going to enjoy playing this one, yay!

10. Jason Moyer says:

That HUD has to be the worst thing I’ve ever seen in a first person game.

• Vraptor117 says:

Agreed. All of those arc indicator things look more confusing/obscuring than helpful. Another “feature” that needs an off switch.

11. strange_headache says:

Looks nice but that mirrored menu makes me feel uncomfortable.

12. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I’m quite intrigued in this title, it’s not a confirmed purchase like say Dishonoured was but it does seem, to myself at least, what Far Cry 2 could have been. Seeing as this features far more refined (I would say, actually functional) stealth, a more lively environment and the makings of a genuinely compelling narrative with psychological elements and delectable psychedelic consumption.

I know many have complained about the more scripted content but it does seem to be in small parts and arguably helps to ameliorate the repetitious quality of its predecessor with more authored content. I’m very hopeful but I’ll still wait for reviews to confirm any potential purchase.

• voidmind says:

This would have been an easy sell if it included a co-op mode. So would have Far Cry 2 for that matter. Unfortunately, I think that it will be one of those games that I play for the first 2 hours and then never feel any compulsion to play again.

13. Xardas Kane says:

This is the first western-developed FPS I am actually looking forward to since Bioshock. Took the industry long enough…

Surlywombat says:

Played this for a very few minutes at Eurogamer, I’m pretty sure I shot a goat, and when I ran over the corpse was a human. It was rather surreal, not sure if he was hiding in the bush and I missed the goat or he turned into a goat. Then I jumped of a cliff and died. True story.

15. -Spooky- says:

FARFACE! *will grab it from a nearly by to release discount table*

16. Vraptor117 says:

Meh, this looks pretty slick, sure. But so did FC2. I’m also disappointed that they got rid of the gun wear mechanic and the buddy mechanic. Did they have flaws? Sure. Were they interesting and made the game unique? Sure. So let’s just strip them out wholesale and throw it away instead of polishing it.

And I remember how Ubi barely supported it after release. So I’ll be waiting until this is a bargain title, if it’s even judged to be worthwhile.

17. Cable says:

Judging from one of the accents at the start this island is New Zealand?

cai says:

I’m pretty uncomfortable with the idea of a lone white tourist “liberating” an entire island “for the locals”. Unless it’s done in an interesting way, which seems unlikely based on these trailers, it’s a completely uninteresting story to me, and has rather unpleasant undertones and implications.

Also, a personal preference, but I greatly preferred FC2′s “tag PoIs to static map” stealth to the “realtime track + xray” stealth of FC1 and Cryses. But I guess that’s optional, so that’s ok.

The fire tech and distraction mechanics look awesome.

19. Moni says:

I’m pretty sure ‘getting shot straight up the arse with an arrow’ is second worst way to die.

The first is ‘being touched with a stick with a bit of poo on the end’.

20. DeanLearner says:

Haha, love their RPS style pun run. Also enjoyed actually seeing some open world footage, it’s a farcry from what has been shown so far!

21. BreadBitten says:

As fun as the game might eventually turn out to be, the bullet impact leaves a lot to be desired. I guess Max Payne 3 kind of ruined me…

• Yosharian says:

Awesome game, got a lot of unfair stick in my opinion. Plot was awful, though.

22. Shooop says:

And the AI is par for Ubisoft’s course, meaning of course it is the very worst possible.

• sinister agent says:

The AI is so bad, it sneaks into your house while you’re asleep and does a poo in your sink.

• Shooop says:

More like it forgets where my house is and just shits itself while yelling, “There I showed YOU!”

• Yosharian says:

Perhaps there will be tougher difficulty levels where the AI is more perceptive?

Yeah right, lemme just go and saddle up my flying pig.

23. EBass says:

Far Cry 2′s stealth was actually pretty sophisticated, its just the mechanics for you getting “spotted” were so borked. Take the silenced pistol, if you killed someone with one shot to the head you were fine, but if you wasted someone in 0.2 seconds with three shots to the back the whole base went on alarm. Just another one of the terrible design implementation in FC2.

Earl-Grey says:

That field of view feels very off to me.
    It’s like your avatar is wearing spectacles with weak zoom lenses in them.
    I hope it will be adjustable on release.

I belive Far Cry 2 suffered from the same ailment but was later fixed by an official patch.

• Derezzedjack says:

There was a widescreen option you could tick on or off, I don’t know the exact numbers but it probably turned the field of view from 60 to 75, could be higher though. Never really played the game with it on off so I don’t know exactly.

I have to agree, the current field of view they’re using is the standard console-60. I wish all games had something like the sliders in Borderlands 2 where not only size but also the spacing of the HUD is somewhat chaneable, field of view also has one of course.

25. harmlos says:

It seems to me that they’ve fixed what I found most annoying about FarCry 2, namely that nothing you did felt like it had any real consequences (i.e. clear out a roadblock only to have it completely restaffed a few minutes later). Let’s hope Ubisoft won’t saddle this with their craptastic DRM.

• Derezzedjack says:

You have to register the game over Uplay but it has an offline mode where you can still play singleplayer, but you don’t need to be connected. A one time activation.

26. Yosharian says:

This is BY FAR the most interesting FC3 video I’ve seen, god knows why they’ve been shoving the other cutscene-laden videos down our throats when they’ve got this up their sleeves.

However, can I just express vehemently my contempt for these modern FPS conventions like quest markers, intrusive stealth detection meters, etc? If you can turn all that stupid shit off I might actually be tempted to try this one out.

27. hypercrisis says:

What the hell, does he zip-line with his bare hands?!

28. SuperNashwanPower says:

Glad people are finally seeing the good in this game. I’ve been excited from the off personally – to me it looked like a great combination of good things from Far Cry 1 and 2, as well as some stuff from Crysis 1. Can’t wait to play it, and well done devs for getting two normal guys to demo it, tongue in cheek and all. They even mocked the auto-aim :) None of this silly hype piff paff, what what **twiddles moustache**

EDIT: Just got my pre-order in. I fancy a box copy this time, so I’ve gone for the Amazon one. To add to my box copies of FC1, FC2, Crysis, Warhead and Crysis 2 :)

29. Pod says:

I know what I’m saying is tantamount to PC-Racism, but watching someone play a FPS game with a controller is really, really embarassing. They don’t seem to have the correct freedom of expression required to move around. They move like the kind of pen-holding automaton that you program as an 8 year old.