Cognition: Bioshock Infinite’s Industrial Revolution

By Adam Smith on October 22nd, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

The Dishonored pre-order ‘incentives’ incited my blood to boil by appearing to chop parts of the game off and deliver them piecemeal, but when I played the game I was so content that my blood remained at a comfortable, non-volatile temperature throughout. I don’t think any of the preposterous packages can have done very much at all. Bioshock: Infinite is now offering a means to earn in-game rewards before its February release and I expect and hope that they will turn out to be similarly unnecessary. While it’s essential to pre-order to begin the process of unlocking bonuses for a game that isn’t out for almost half a year, there is a nifty puzzle game tied to the promotion. Industrial Revolution is available now to anyone with a pre-order.

So, how does it work?

Starting today, you can earn in-game items for BioShock Infinite! How, you ask? Well, today we are proud to announce BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution – our BioShock Infinite pre-order bonus.

BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution is a puzzle game in which you assume the role of a factory worker within the sky-city of Columbia. You complete increasingly difficult puzzles while learning more about the warring factions in the game and earning in-game rewards.

There are nearly 60 puzzles to play, and they are all FREE!

A picture of the puzzles suggests they are about creating machines, or maybe repairing them. This image may provide clues as to how the factory workers of Columbia spend their working days.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Just Endless says:

Is it fun?

2. Shiri says:

Is Bioshock Infinite liable to make me regret preordering even if it, and the preorder bonus thing, are good, by dabbling in the black arts of evil DRM and GFWL?

3. LTK says:

There are nearly 60 puzzles to play, and they are all FREE!

Yeah, free after a $60/€50/£38 pre-order. I can think of a few other things that are ‘free’ then.

Tempted to pre-order the game to play these mini-games and then canceling, just to spite them.

4. Pod says:

I’ve not played this game, as I haven’t pre-ordered Bioshock, so I’m probably talking out of my arse: But the guy(s?) who made SpaceChem made a bunch of free flash games like this, prior to SpaceChem. (and they were good). Also, there’s about half a million of them on kongregate.

Yet I feel outraged that they’re giving me a flash-game quality ‘prize’. For some inexplicable reason I’d rather than customisable guile hair or something. At least that’s not 10 a penny and rather unique.

5. Eddy9000 says:

So as well as preordering you have to play through this game to get items? What are the items anyway?
    It just seems silly.

6. Trithne says:

I’d actually forgotten that Dishonoured had pre-order incentives. This looks equally pointless. Can I have the option of buying the game cheaper and not getting this crap?

7. wccrawford says:

I preordered and tried this game. It’s a simple gear puzzle game. They give you a gear that’s turning, and on the other side of the board is a gear that’s not. You have to link up the 2 gears via a series of gears that you place on pegs. There are multiple sizes of gear, and they introduce belts eventually, too.

I’m about 1/3 through and it’s starting to get a little hard, but not bad.

Is it fun? Only if you like gear puzzles. There’s nothing particularly genius about it so far.

There’s also a side-game that you’re playing, choosing the government or the rebels at each step. Your choices are permanent and will apparently affect your rewards somehow. They don’t state how, or how to know what you’ll get.

You unlock a lot of rewards at level 12, and I think you have to beat all the levels to get the last reward. You also unlock titles as you beat certain puzzles, but they don’t seem to have any use. It’s just a status.

As for the rewards, they’re all things like money, lockpicks and outfits so far. The outfits appear to have bonuses on them.

8. SkittleDiddler says:

Wow, this totally makes me want to preorder Bioshock Infinite. If only other publishers were offering such fantastic unbelievable heart-stopping preorder bonuses for their games, I would preorder all the goddamn time. I would be a preordering machine, spending my money willy-nilly with absolutely no forethought to game quality or common financial sense.

• PopeJamal says:

Although I see what you’re getting at, I do appreciate what they’re trying to do and hope that it only continues. I prefer this over the minimal effort “OMG! Free hats!!!111!” approach that most groups take.

This at least has some minimal amount of value outside of the actual game. Plus, I thought Cogs was a very nice title.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Yeah, I was really complaining in a broader sense. Most preorder bonuses are paltry and add nothing to the process.

9. breadman017 says:

Irrational twitter feed says this is by Lazy 8 Studios, the guys who made Cogs, so maybe it doesn’t totally suck?

10. Vandelay says:

Honestly, this would be a great idea, but it is spoiled by the connection to bonus items in the game. Having a fun little puzzler that expanded the world of the game, whilst you wait for the real thing to arrive is something that I would definitely be interested in. Ruining the balance of the game or having pointless fluff sitting in my inventory when I start the game is not appealing.

11. ffordesoon says:

Honestly, this doesn’t bug me nearly as much as the XCOM or Dishonored pre-order exclusives. At least this is available to everyone and gives you something to play while you wait for Infinite. Also, they say “bonuses,” not “exclusives,” which makes me wonder if this isn’t stuff you’ll be able to get in the game anyway.

I mean, I’d still rather get a Bioshock-themed puzzle game without any unlocks as a pre-order bonus, but it’s better than a thing where you get a magical hat a month before everyone else gets to buy it for five bucks. As pre-order schemes go, they could do a lot worse.

12. Scratches Beard With Pipe Stem says:

These Levine games are always “player stumbles into struggle between chaotic socialists and authoritarian controllers.” Thief, SS2, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite…

Not a bad device, but sort of an obsession?

Comment on this story