Snikt And Smash: Marvel Heroes

By Adam Smith on October 22nd, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

When X-Men: The Last Stand crammed in all the mutants it made for a crowded frame and some of Marvel’s most uncanny were rendered as little more than computer-generated blobs of colour. Free-to-play multiplayer online ARPG Marvel Heroes also appears to subscribe to the ‘more actually can be more’ philosophy, but hopefully to greater effect. The huge selection of characters could work in its favour, because rather than being forced to share the screen together, more heroes means more choice. Closed beta signups continue. Another trailer below, more convincing than the last. Have you spied your favourite hero yet?

I’ll probably be Spiderman because I love Spiderman. Does that make me exceedingly dull?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. bitbot says:

I read it as X-Com: The Last Stand and when looking at the image exclaimed “What?! The snake men are back?”

Is this a sign I’ve been playing too much XCOM?

2. DaftPunk says:

” EAT SOME LASERS! ” o.O

• Wulf says:

Nnnot quite.

“Eat hot lasers!”

And that character is actually Rocket Raccoon. It seems like someone at Gazillion is out to steal my heart with their knowledge of obscure characters. Or it could have something to do with the resurgence of Guardians of the Galaxy (which is getting a new comic series, a film, and a bunch of other things).

So yeah.

3. Wild_Marker says:

So… I’m still confused about this. Is it basically Marvel Ultimate Aliance made into an F2P MMO?? If so, I am SO on board with it (well, so long as the F2P model doesn’t stink).

Also, story by Brian Michael Bendis? Yes please.

• Baines says:

It looks like Ultimate Alliance, but the guy in charge has always referred to it in terms of Diablo.

As for Bendis, I’m not sure why he’s a draw. Yes, his name is on some of Marvel’s biggest events and books, but Marvel’s events have been terribly organized, plotted, and written since before House of M. And Marvel’s biggest books tend to sell regardless of the writer’s quality. Bendis’ best work has arguably been with lower power characters and settings. (Fraction has a similar issue, where he’s good with comedy and certain characters, but terrible with large scale events and large casts. But Marvel put him on X-Men for a poorly plotted run, where Fraction couldn’t keep track of more than three characters at once, and had him write the rather poorly written Fear Itself.)

It could be worse though. It could have been written by Loeb.

4. Arglebargle says:

To answer your question: Yes. But it could have been worse…..you could have chosen Wolverilla.

5. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Can someone explain the raccoon person at 20 secs in? And the goddamn T-Rex around 47 secs?

Hulk and a T-rex, yeeeeeeeeessssss. My inner (Or outer) child is crying with joy.

• Dominic White says:

That’s Rocket Raccoon. He’s in Marvel Vs Capcom 3, too, and is kinda ace.

As for dinosaurs, they’re just all over the goddamn place in Marvel-world.

• Wild_Marker says:

“Rocket Racoon” sounds too much like a Megaman Boss

• Wulf says:

Heh, answered the Rocket Raccoon thing above, too.

As for dinosaurs… they’re basically everywhere in comic books, period. I mean, even the Champions roleplaying game had loads of them, and thus, of course, so does Champions Online. It’s not a comic book reality if it doesn’t have dinosaurs.

Even Kirkman realised this, which is why Super Dinosaur happened.

• Wild_Marker says:

I’m assuming T-Rex = The Savage Land

• innociv says:

I was hoping it was an indication of custom characters. :(

My favorite thing in the Super Hero MMOs is making my own totally unique hero.
      Sigh~

6. Screwie says:

“Have you spied your favourite hero yet?”

Still nope. :/ (She-Hulk, by the way.)

7. Didero says:

I still think it looks stupid when for instance the Hulk is bashing against some dude, and the guy just doesn’t react at all.
    Combat should be more than decreasing the HP value until it’s 0.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, but it’s basically like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. I can forgive a lot if it’s as fun as that game was. And that game had that exact drawback, too.

• phelix says:

Unfortunately, combat which is not HP-based is rather hard to implement, and will also screw up balancing when used in multiplayer.

• Didero says:

I’m not saying having a number for health is bad. I just mean that if my character punches some dude, I would like that dude to at least acknowledge it, by flinching or something.

8. ffordesoon says:

I require it. NOW NOW NOW

9. Freud says:

I was under the impression that this was more of an ARPG (super hero Diablo) but now they are saying MMO. I’m confused.

• Choca says:

Any game with persistant online pretends to be a MMO these days.

It probably has some kind of multiplayer central zone/hub and then team based gameplay (kinda like Path of Exile).

• Groove says:

That’s what I was thinking. From what they’ve shown this is in no way possible an MMO. It’s an MO I guess, since it’s Multiplayer and Online, maybe the Massively part is just because they hope a lot of people will play it, does that count?

10. Lemming says:

The idea of this (Marvel Diablo with choice of characters rather than loads of different abilities), is pitch-perfect. But from what I’ve seen in the footage, things look a little off. The Heroes don’t seem to have ‘oomf’ when they fight and the idea of lots of custom abilities makes me nervous.

My ideal:

1) Have tons of heroes with 3-4 abilities each + a standard attack.

2) Have the abilities be decently powerful from the start to feel heroic (masses of mobs powerful players = good. weaker powers for fewer foes = bad).

3) Have upgrades build on those existing abilities to make them even more powerful, as the levels get higher.

4) If you must add abilities, make them specials that work as combos with other specific heroes.

5) Keep the momentum of masses of mobs going throughout.

6) Have big bosses that need teams of heroes to take down.

Sadly, the vibe I’m getting doesn’t seem to promote any of those things.

11. CVraden says:

Damn, I don’t really care what I hero I am. I just wanna beat up sentinels. Think I’ll pass on the closed beta though. Little too burned out on ARPG’s to enjoy it right now.

12. utharda says:

Look if it gets Stan Lee and that Gillen bastard to move out of my basement I’ll buy it.

13. vertiboxgaming says:

Hey guys, lots of high quality leveling guides available here. Check it out!

Comment on this story