A Bridge Too Far? A DIY Starship Helm For Artemis

By Alec Meer on October 23rd, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Nevada, Spring 2013 :(

Blah blah we don’t usually post Kickstarters from unproven outfits blah blah BUT LOOK AT THIS. Someone’s come up with a way to have a real-life starship bridge with which to enact the singular Artemis unofficial Star Trek crew sim. Only in a trailer, rather than space.

I’m doubtful he can raise the $30,000 he needs, given it’s (in the broadest possible terms) a hardware accessory for what’s very much a niche game, and more damningly that primarily it’s going to tour events and therefore be out of reach to the vast majority of people. It saddens me when indie games do that, and it’s doubly sad that people who fund this might never get to use it. BUT LOOK AT IT. It’s a six player replica bridge, with what looks like touchscreen control panels, red alert lighting and the works.

Most of the funding tiers are t-shirts and names being inscribed on things rather than helping you to take it to the bridge, but if you and a few friends can pony up $1000 you’ll get a day’s worth of unlimited access to the Mobile Bridge Project. But only if you live in California or Nevada. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU…

To be honest, the rewards are perhaps a wee bit insulting, unless you know for sure you’ll be at an event this comes to, but I guess I do appreciate that your options of what to do with a starship bridge built inside a trailer are more than a bit limited.

Ack, to be honest the ins and outs of where it’ll be, how it’ll be funded and how to access it don’t interest me that much. I just like looking at the pictures. When I Am Rich I will do something insane like this, only I’ll probably make the spaceship from Silent Running instead. I can paint my dustbins like robots and everything.

__________________

« | »

1. BloonerNL says:

Don’t know what Artemis is? Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoV_ZnBTsrA

2. Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

Uh, yeah. This is really one of those hobby projects that people do for their own entertainment. Only difference is that this dude asks for others money to make it. Is this man really that naive that he believes people would really pay 30k so he may build this thing, for, more or less, himself?

• aleander says:

Actually, Kickstarter is quite a bit about enabling people to do awesome sorta-art-or-something projects that they would be unable to do otherwise.This one is on the expensive side, sure, but you can easily see where the money would go.

The pre-order mania, while delivering some hopefully-neat indie projects, is also hurting a lot of cool pointless projects on Kickstarter and, judging by its reactions, Kickstarter (it’s a non-profit!) isn’t exactly amused.

• The Random One says:

Tru dat, aleander. Gamers have become so enthralled by what Kickstarter represents to them that they forget game projects are exceptions in it – what with their commercial goals and million-dollar goals. I remember when that game almost flunked because of bogus $10K pledge and people suggested that backers should be offering some sort of escrow if their tier was worth more than 10% of the goal, forgetting that the bread and butter of Kickstarter are people asking for $500 to pay for their interpretative dance troupe’s British Columbia grand tour and you can’t ask a guy for escrow when they’re offering $50.

• DarkShroom says:

30k is basically a years wages for him you mean

where else will the money go?

edit: oh a REAL model bridge, i thought you meant like a virtual cockpit

• Stackler says:

Yeah, I think I also should start my own Kickstarter: My own dungeon with a lot of traps for moronic heroes. I already have plans made in Dungeon Keeper. Donate 1.000 or more and you’ll get a lifetime free access and at 10.000 you get your own private dungeon heart, modelled after John Romero’s.

3. D3xter says:

Wouldn’t this be a lot better (and easier?) if developed for Virtual Reality use: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game where every player gets a character inside the “Virtual World” wildly gesticulating around and panicking when going to Red Alert?
    Also likely more practical? xD

• wengart says:

The best times are when everyone is in the same room with rampant amounts of alcohol. Something I doubt oculus could recreate.

4. wodin says:

Artemis is a superb game to play at a lan party..really is an amazing piece of software..if only I had enough people to play it with..though I believe a tablet version is being made..

5. Bhazor says:

This is terrible.

But it does make me want to try that bridge co-op videogame out.

6. Jason Lefkowitz says:

It looks like an awfully small space to squeeze that many people into. I imagine that’s a limitation of needing to mount it on a trailer, but still.

How long does an average game of Artemis last? How comfortable it would be in that trailer would probably be a function of how long the game is…

7. Slinkyboy says:

Backed! I can’t wait to see more!!

8. belgand says:

The video itself has problems as well. I hate to be so impatient, but I shouldn’t have to wait 2 minutes until he starts explaining things. I’m not here to sit around listening to music and seeing a vague backdrop for 30 seconds, especially when you want something from me. In those same two minutes I could just read about the project.

Of course, I think this is a fundamental project with Kickstarter. I’d rather just read about the project than watch a video. Some things are conveyed better by video than text, but the system encourages people to put a video up top that is going to be ignored until you read what it’s about, then you’re both less likely to go back to the video and more likely to not need nearly as much of it.

Ideally it should be: title, image, summary, detail, video, extra-specific detail, FAQ. The video probably isn’t even needed by the majority of projects. I realize they want it to be a “pitch” in the more traditional sense, but they need to adapt to their medium. This isn’t face-to-face and it isn’t served by something that works there.

9. Joshua Northey says:

We are putting this together in Minnesota in a few weeks. Should be fun.

“Artemis” not the trailer.

10. Hypnotic Geese says:

Can’t we just have a Silent Hunter-like in space already? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?

11. Moonracer says:

So he wants people to pay him to build this bridge so he can presumably take it to conventions and sell tickets. And he’s asking double what it will take to make it so he can give backers t-shirts?

I actually really like this kind of concept and have dreamed of this sort of thing so I don’t want to totally dis it. I just think a nobler approach would be to design the bridge as an open source project and say “this is the hardware recommended and how to network the computers”.

I think it would be way cooler to imagine multiple bridges that could interact online and have video chat feeds on the main screen. Geeks in coveralls with green or blue face paint in the background. Good times

12. Artist says:

Screw this and lets call Richard Garriot! He will make it a spaceship so it can FLY to the conventions where it will appear!

• The Random One says:

“Our project hit a snag that, in hindsight, we should have foreseen when the spaceship built to transport the spaceship bridge simulator did not have room for its bridge.”

13. Listlurker says:

If it were a Kickstarter designed to get the Artemis program itself some A-list quality graphics and UI, I would consider it — But to help some guy build a custom trailer in which to run Artemis at events? Personally, I’m not feeling it.