Mighty Morphine: Painkiller – Hell And Damnation

By Adam Smith on October 23rd, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

‘Hell and Damnation’ is the kind of exclamation that I imagine might escape the rarely unpursed lips of a country vicar as he stubs his toe on the rector’s boot-scraper when arriving for afternoon tea. Tacked on the end of Painkiller’s colon, it’s probably not intended to sound as quaint as all that but rather to convey the gurgling, catarrh-trembling roar of a heavy metalist. John has already played the opening levels of this remake of the original kill ‘em up, which comes out on Halloween. The Halloween release, so close to Doom 3: BFG Edition, is an altogether correct confluence of events as Painkiller always felt much Doomier than Doom 3. The video below contains loud music and giant boss monsters.

I pressed ‘mute’ after about six seconds so I hope there’s not a really important voiceover at any point. It’s been a long time since I played a game that asks nothing more of me than the killing of baddies and there’s an appeal in that simplicity right now. And some of those bosses are bigger than, like, six cyberdemons standing on each others’ shoulders, wearing an oversized trenchcoat and trying to buy a ticket for erotic theatrical production, The Rector’s Boot-Scraper.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MuscleHorse says:

Speaking of the soundtrack, I hope that one feature that returns for this remake is that there is an option to turn off the battle music. The more orchestral, dramatic music was fantastic, while the generic metal was dreadful.

• KikiJiki says:

Actually the metal was great, represented exactly what the game was. A new soundtrack means I’m actually going to just load up my old copy and skip this.

• tobecooper says:

I like me some metal too, but I’m playing Painkiller Black Edition now, and the tracks are rather short and repetitive.

• KikiJiki says:

They’re designed to loop, I ended up ripping the fight music for my minidisc/mp3 player back at university and when you put a track on repeat it sounds great, it’s just that the game never looped it effectively.

2. x1501 says:

There isn’t, and you owe me big time for this.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

What about the Lovecraft quotes that start at 8 seconds? Nice touch.

3. DickSocrates says:

Metal doesn’t necessarily have to be music-free. This stuff, however, is. Music by guys who only wanted to get into metal because of the attitude and how it looked, the playing was incidental.

• Outright Villainy says:

Even as a metal fan I find that original metal OSTs for games usually end up being dreadful. Orchestral and electro is much better represented in game soundtracks.

• Spacewalk says:

The theme song was done by a proper band though, it even got a video done for it.

4. herschel says:

Just wondering… is anyone still playing these generic shooter-shizzles?

• Deadly Habit says:

If anything these are far from generic, they have a unique setting, are skill based and far from the generic war shooter craze that seems to dominate the FPS market. Painkiller has always been a favorite of mine and even in the beta for this I’ve been having a blast (though I hope they include a fov option in the full version like the old games had).

• TrueBlue says:

No they are playing generic “modern warfare” style pseudo simulators instead, which are so much better right??

5. Mr. Mister says:

If the video’s thumbnail had a more flamier scene along with the “NOT HELL” text, I’d have succumbed to the temptation of quiting it followed by “Seems Legit”.

6. povu says:

Yup, this is the Painkiller I remember. Good stuff. Though I don’t remember seeing the creepy robot orphanage children in the opera house level.

Shame it took a remake of the original to actually get what seems to be a decent Painkiller game again. People Can Fly should make Painkiller 2.

7. Tom OBedlam says:

That right there is a great headline pun

8. bitbot says:

I really hope this turns out well. No Painkiller game since the original has been able to match it.

9. NailBombed says:

Metal and killing demons and stuff, what could possibly be wrong about that? Makes a change from overly boring military manshooters.

10. SkittleDiddler says:

Poor Painkiller’s like a loose girlfriend: she continues to get trashier with each pass-around but you still feel the need to have her around.

• TrueBlue says:

Maybe, but there’s a big difference with this release though, it’s not just another expansion pack made by some modders who have access the rights of the franchise.

Instead it’s a fully made game, revamped in the Unreal Engine 3 with new weapons, bosses and hopefully a better storyline, all of this is being made by the guys that created NecroVision, one of the best, if not the best, old school shooters heavily influenced by PK, brought forward into the modern market, unlike that atrocity of a tech demo called BulletStorm.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Ah, I’m a big fan of NecroVision, therefore I’ll hold off judgement of Hell and Damnation until I’ve seen more of it. The trailer the devs provided for this article haven’t done the game any favors though.

• TrueBlue says:

I thought it was cool, even for a non heavy metal guy like myself. XD

But I digress, if you really want to get a better idea of what the game will be all about, then check on Youtube for “WTF is…PainKiller HD”, over at Total Biscuit’s channel, hope you like it. =)

Tom De Roeck says:

It sounds more like something Stephen Fry would have cursed in A Bit Of Fry & Laurie. AND A PINT OF DOUBLE DAMN!

12. ilduce says:

Is… is that lightning gun… auto-targeting? nnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

13. Trithne says:

Ever since discovering Brutal Doom I haven’t really needed to look at another Doom-alike, there’s enough WADs that I could probably still be playing by the time the universe died of heat death.

Still, might be worth a tumble; going to put some better damn music on though, bad metal is worse than wubwub.

14. siegarettes says:

Am I the only one who feels like the Co-op makes it look a bit Serious Sam?

Dilapinated says:

I’m so glad they kept the Painkiller blade.

The first time I realised you could hold down M2 to set it spinning and then click M1 to send the frisbee of lawnmower death out (at a horrendously slow speed, iirc you can outrun it and catch it again.. which is half the charm) into a legion of foes and watch the limbs fly is one of my Fond Gaming Memories.

16. Tinman says:

The disclaimer at the end of the trailer made me smile, but its also a bit depressing. I know its only goofing, but the need to inform people that its an oldskool, skill based shooter and not for everyone is unfortunate. In an era of shooters containing sub 80 degree FoVs, ironsighting otherwise crap accuracy, 2 weapons only and regenerating HP, I wouldn’t be surprised if disclaimers like the one the video actually become a standard requirement for oldskool FPS games. That’s assuming they even get made anymore.

Which I really hope they do, because modern FPS games have atrocious gameplay mechanics.

• TrueBlue says:

I don’t think the joke should be taken too seriously, it’s more like a nod to old school vets that for the most part feel left out in this mainstream industry of ours, then again I might understand some complaints about the message as it might provoke some conflicts between the two factions (new school and old school), ending on lesser sales for the devs at hand.

Tribes Ascend for example had a similar line in it’s marketing, something like “old school is back” and so on, but at least it didn’t try to alienate newcomers, being them CoD/BF fans or not, unlike this trailer, so yeah, Farm 51, you need to be careful with that since it might again hurt you in the end.

17. RegisteredUser says:

The biggest problem of this one is that you’ll end up going “I’ve played this game before.”.

And it was a good game and all, but I’ve already had all the “play to death” spirit sucked out of me in the time of DOOM 1+2.
    I am now old, jaded and nitpicky, giev me ALL new content with this new engine revamp, for crying out loud!

The trailer alone made me go “I remember that boss, god that one was annoying, oh yea, that hall..hm, yea, the gauntlet was the single most fun thing. Shame there’s no new Painkiller.”

Still, this is good, because the world needs to be reminded of what real FPS are about.