Shop ‘Til You’re Shot: Nuign Specter

By Adam Smith on October 23rd, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Nuign Specter is free, short and fantastic. It starts like this: “My actions had attracted a specter.” Oh no! As the dog-man star of this short tale hobbles jerkily through his house, it’s tempting to think Nuign Specter is a horror game. Glitchy graphics, odd sounds and the sharp, angular world all add to the sense that terrible things are about to happen. It’s not really that game though. Despite being only a few screens in length, Nuign doesn’t use its limited space to scream ‘Boo’ repeatedly like a traumatised Yogi Bear. Instead, it builds a tiny, fascinating trap to escape from. Download it immediately. Slight spoilers below.

The way the screen tears and collapses whenever the shotgun fires is awesome. The fact that it’s possible to play forever, trapped in a loop is nightmarish. The ‘actions’ of the prologue are contained within the game, although it’s necessary to play through at least a couple of times to discover everything. Even then, who knows if causality exists beyond the bullet and the victim? Not me. I don’t even know if that question makes sense.

Found at the splendid freegam.es.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Miltrivd says:

Just finished my first playthrough. Slight spoilers ahead. When I read the “An atmospheric experiment” disclaimer I wondered what part of it could make it atmospheric when I started it, but is the sound, and the fact that your character seems to be just as lost as you are. The sound really makes it, and not just the background music that seems to hint your way, the footsteps are nicely done as well. Another detail that I liked was that I killed another wolfman from a different screen after I was killed a second before. It really felt that the shotgun was violent, harsh, and crude. It felt disturbing and powerful when I fired the first shot. It was an enjoyable run.

2. karmafarm says:

Britpop points for the sly Suede reference in the first para…

3. LionsPhil says:

Failed to initialize Direct3D.
    Why does a game with the graphical sophistication of Another World on the 16-bit microcomputers of yesteryear need fancypants 3D accelleration, eh? Tsch. Snow uphill both ways.

4. Aluschaaf says:

Brilliant stuff! The creeping paranoia and its final outcome are great!

5. JackShandy says:

Hmmm. I went right. There were numerous “Jump out and say boo” scares, and a lot of walking. Eventually, I picked up a shopping trolley. There didn’t seem to be anything else to do, so I went back to the start, went left, and was killed.

Someone help me out?

• Hodge says:

(slight spoiler if you’re not up to this bit)

If you press the down arrow just before you go back outside you let go of the trolley and are able to use the shotgun again. Then it’s just a case of killing him before he gets a shot off and going back for the trolley.

6. PopeJamal says:

7/10 – Would not play again

7. Heliocentric says:

Can someone just spell it out for me? I went to the shop, looted it all, then give the ghost thing his protein powder, but got shot as i was still holding the gun. They it restarted, so yeah eff restarting it.

8. Ahtaps says:

I’m not sure I’m sophisticated and educated enough to understand it. Well, I have an interpretation.
    *Slight Spoilers*

My interpretation is that it’s the spectre of hunger. That it’s not satisfied until it’s been fed and will always gnaw and bite at you until you feed it. Not really sure what was up with having to shoot everyone though. Maybe just for the “Ahh! Big, sudden noise” scares. I was expecting more, especially since I never really saw any tearing or collapsing when the shotgun was fired. It’s kind of like reading a good supernatural thriller and then finding the ghost was really just Old Man Withers in a mask.

9. Zephos says:

Very much enjoyed the art, animation, and sound.

Comment on this story