Avast! Air Buccaneers Floats Into Beta, Is Greenlit

By Jim Rossignol on October 24th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Air Buccaneers has earned a collective thumbs up from the internet, and has been greenlit. But we knew that. What’s more important that this hue of light coincides with the beta, which you can play for free, right here. But when? When are we going to play it? TONIGHT! Get it and get in the game. Let’s have RPS readers swinging from grappling hooks in the sky at 7pm UK time.

Yes, let’s celebrate by having a fight with our air cutlasses, and then, as our terrible wounds heal, watching the new beta video, below.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Aedrill says:

Should we establish some channels of communication? My vote goes for dance and positioning of our bodies, bee-style.

2. RichardDastardly says:

But does anyone play it? I mean I had the alpha and no one was ever on.

• Kaira- says:

There’s been a good amount of players since beta launched, which is darn nice.

• sinister agent says:

As of about a month ago, there were typically either about 50 people on (enough for two good games, or one great one), or none, depending on the time of day.

• Baines says:

I had the alpha and never even installed it.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I’ll be joining in, but at 7pm Central time. Six whole hours later, so I hope RPS readers have stamina.

Coccyx says:

A bunch of us have already been in since alpha! Jimangi, Ayam, Fiyenyaa, myself and a few others have played a few games, mostly during the alpha. Can’t wait to see how it plays with larger numbers.

• jimangi says:

Oh my! I’m a celebrity!
      Modesty aside, Air Buccaneers is great, and even better now that the Beta is out. I can’t wait.

5. Cooper says:

I will be there for a bit before Purple Wednesday, been looking forward to giving this a go.

6. Mr Wonderstuff says:

Greenlit? Not sure I really understand this…yes it’s Steam saying yes we will host this and make available but given that Black Mesa is not out yet and it has been Greenlit for a while now I really can’t see the point of it.

7. ferdy says:

So are we on? Which server?

8. sinister agent says:

Gah, damn it. I can’t play this tonight, but I’d have loved to play with some RPS people. Air Buccanners is terrific, I got really hooked on it several weeks back. Somehow they’ve hit that magical spot of needing random strangers to play with, but without it mattering if some of those strangers are useless dickheads. You don’t even need voice or fiddling about with third party systems to communicate well in it.

9. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Right now this game is basically the definition of Pay To Win.
    Any idea if that’s just during beta (wtf?) or if the retail game will use a similar pricing scheme?

• Kaira- says:

Pay-to-win… how?

• SkittleDiddler says:

WTF are you talking about? I’ve seen no indication that this game is P2W.

• Quinnbeast says:

Free to sulk!

• Cooper says:

What you get from paying:
      No Rank limit (All XP gathered with Free Account will be accounted for)
      Character development with Perks & Flaws system
      Character customization
      Access to Kamikaze ship
      Access to Taunts in communication menu
      Can pull rank on lower level and Free Account players at ship helm
      Finished game once it’s released

• Rolle says:

I’d say it’s “Pay to get the full game” not “Pay to win”

• Arcanon says:

It’s a free Beta, but it’s not a Free2Play game.

10. Author X says:

So, having Kickstarted and played a little bit of the beta (in an underpopulated server) of Guns of Icarus, I have to wonder… has anyone played both betas? Any comparison, strengths or weaknesses?

11. SkittleDiddler says:

I purchased a premium package that included access to all the test builds and the final product. Every time they release a new test build, I’m forced to uninstall the last one and install the new one. The devs have no integrated installation/replacement process when it comes to builds, so I’m damn glad to finally see Air Buccs float into Greenlit status — at the very least, final Steam approval means the whole process will become a lot more streamlined.

I can’t wait to play the game with more than five or six people.

• Oliver the Deckboy says:

There has actually been a built in autoupdater in the game since Alpha v0.50. :) But we agree that Steam should make this experience even more fluent.

• SkittleDiddler says:

There’s really an autoupdater? I have not seen that yet. Do you have any idea how to access it?