Star Citizen Whomps Its Kickstarter Goal In Five Days

By John Walker on October 24th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

We have so much money. Not RPS – we’re ragged paupers – but gamers as a whole. Publishers think we’re all stealy-thieves, downloading cars and breaking into people’s homes to steal their DVDs, but look at us! Money pouring out of our upstairs windows. We’re forced to give it away, such that we don’t drown in the stuff. And so it is that the Kickstarter phenomenon demonstrates this once more, as Star Citizen achieves its half million funding only five days into its month-long campaign. On, and that’s on top of the $1.3m it’s already raised elsewhere.

The Wing Commander guru, Chris Roberts, has garnered a lot of attention with his plans to create a new “space epic”. Richard Cobbett took a good look at it before this fundraising started, and found many reasons to be very excited. Soon after the pledge-for-your-ship campaign began, with people paying money to secure their in-game flight, with a view to raise $2m. Within four days it had made three quarters of a million. Five days later Roberts adds on a Kickstarter to supplement this, and another five days brings us to today, with that half-million already in the bank. So at this point they’re only (“only”!) $200,000 from home, and by all the new laws of the universe they’re going to make it.

With 26 days left on the Kickstarter clock, it’d be a shock if this didn’t finish closer to a million on its own. Meanwhile you can still reserve a ship to add to the 15,000 people who already have. And then eventually Chris Roberts will have so much money that he starts actually building all these spaceships for real, resulting in a galactic war. It’s on your heads.

You can read Nathan’s interview with Roberts too. And then you can fund my new project – Buy John A Castle Because He’s Great.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. daphne says:

For all the hiccups this crowdfunding launch has had, it appears to have been for the best after all. Essentially they have had two launchday cash spurts where most projects only have one. They would have raised even more had their own site been more stable, but this is already looking good.

Not that they are any close to reaching their even loftier stretch goals of course.

• wodin says:

Yeah the lofty stretch goal which is 5 million for the full game…less we get a beta..never known the highest tier stretch goal offer is the full finished game before..still people seem happy enough..

• HothMonster says:

It is just dated at 5mm. He says with that money he can get it done in 30 months, with less money he will get it done he just doesn’t want to give a time frame because less money is less staff and more time.

He isn’t going to release a beta and then go back to making movies if he only gets 2 million.

• SanguineAngel says:

That’s not really what it says. Also you are famous! I just stumbled immediately over another similar post of yours over at SimHQ :o). As with a lot of kickstarters, what we see is the prioritising of features based on budget. So the more money they get, the better the game they can deliver is.

At $5m they state the following content in addition to the previous goals:
        Deep Storyline (this is as opposed to the standard storyline, rich storyline or richer storyline of each prior funding target. Basically, the more money they have, the more they can flesh out the narrative. That’s not a surprise)
        On-Line Ship Marketplace
        Max Missions
        On-Line Persistent play in a 30 month time scale (The MMO aspect that I have heard a lot of people complaining bitterly about)

He also points out that all features will be eventually get added anyway but without full funding will instead have to be delivered piecemeal.

Having said all that, I think the actual website is appalling laid out and information is ludicrously difficult to find. Also, it’s not clear on that site what constitutes “max missions” or “On-Line Ship Marketplace”. It’s entirely possible I’ve missed that though. I’d love us to reach $5m just so we can squeeze the most out of the SP experience myself. Doubtful, although apparently Kickstarter is trending towards 2.5m atm and I would imagine in 16 days time it’s no unreasonable to expect their own site to reach 2 so it’s not too outlandish a thought. It’s clearly sparked a lot of interest.

• InternetBatman says:

If they do deliver half the features they’re talking about, I figure it could offer some serious competition to Eve.

• wodin says:

I’m all over the place :)…I juts feel 5 million is alot and all we have is a promise there are investors..something many people where wary about with regards to another FPS crowdfunding game.

Also though 5 million is alot it’s nothing considering what he wants to build.

Anyway I did a $35 kickstarter as i really want it to happen…well the single player part anyway..though I’ve read alot of posts on forumsfb etc by people who think Mr Roberts can do no wrong and the fanboyism already is rather frightening..very rarely do I see people really questioning what he is doing or what he intends to do at certain funding levels..

Finally yes that IS what it states..check the stretch goals only at 5 million is a fullgame promised…I expect thats because he is covering himself incase the investors don’t cough up. He can say look I only promised you an alphabeta..if we didn’t hit 5million. Also I imagine the investors return would be minimal from the core game as most would have bought it by then..I suppose they will be promised a big return on the DLCexpansion profit.

• adamsorkin says:

Anybody got a link to the stretch goals? Can’t seem to find them.

• FL-MiniMe says:

Go here, then click the button in the top right corner, which will expand the stretch goals section below.
        Though I’d hold off until later today, there’s supposed to be a few updates to numerous things in the works.
        *Upgrade pledge option
        *Specs, techs, and art on pledge ships
        *Updated pledge rewards
        *Updated Stretch goals
        While yer waitin tho, you can check out the Time Capsule section. Some rather cool history / lore done in a novel way.

• adamsorkin says:

Much obliged!

(sneakily hidden in plain sight)

• Branthog says:

I wouldn’t quite say that. With the unimaginable level of press they got on the main launch, it would have reached a million bucks in the first day or so and a couple million bucks in the first ten days. They’d be ahead of where they are, overall, by now.

What I *would* say, is that it appears the servers being unreliable and then the half-move to Kickstarter as a secondary method and the lack of information at the beginning for the first few days where the real details of each level and what each reward really meant ultimately did not do much – if any – damage to it.

Of course, it’s important to remember that this game is not going to be built for the paltry couple million dollars fans end up raising. The intent of this crowd-funding is to just get it off the ground enough to build some demo material and show investors how many fans are so eager for the game that they’ll help fund it ahead of time. This is a lot like some other projects that have used crowd-funding to help build a “vertical slice” that they could then sell to investors. At least, that is what I believe has been explained in the duration of this project, so far.

I’m happy to have kicked in my $65 and hope it turns out well. I just think we’re in for the long haul here and that just because it is funded doesn’t mean the whole game will ultimately see the light of day, without real investor help.

2. KaelWolfcry says:

I’m excited to see where this will go. Though I do hope that Mr. Roberts will understand that the crowdfunders, whether actual or implied, will have him by the bits with a pipe wrench and put him to the giant flaming sword if he doesn’t meet all of his frankly lofty goals.

3. Fanbuoy says:

I feel a bit sceptical about this project and am thus waiting for release. However, I would pledge the hell out of a “Buy John a castle” kickstarter! Because he’s great. I assume it would be the mythical Castle Shotgun?

• kael13 says:

A real RPS Towers would be sweet.. Provided, y’know.. We can come stay.. :P

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

No invitations. Entry by stealth only.

• LionsPhil says:

Do we have to be non-lethal about it?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Non-lethal entries give access to the fabled Biscuits of Jim. Please deposit all piles of unconscious guards in the cupboards strategically placed around the castle.

• thrawn says:

That’s unfortunate. I’d donate $30 to have a feast at the castle, $50 to shoot a longbow off the battlements for an hour, or $100 to besiege the castle, but I don’t see why I should donate if I’m not getting loot out of the deal. Can we we gain entry by mass siege/assault rather than stealth? I suppose if enough people feel the way I do, we can go ahead and fund it, then attack when his guard is down.

4. ChainsawHands says:

If only Nexus 2 was doing as well. SADFACE.

• Nemon says:

I keep hovering my mouse over the red text waiting for a link.

• Nullkigan says:

Yeah. As much as I would love a new, big space sim like Wing Commander I have to remain skeptical of this entire project. The Nexus stuff has looked so good for so long …

• Iskariot says:

The Nexus 2 game has taken a wrong direction. You can see it in their artwork. Most ships represent garbled, mushy, weak alien designs without real character. It is just more of the same of of what other RTS have to offer.

They should have build Nexus 2 on the early part of the first game in which human multinational corporations battled in the solar system for resources and knowledge. The very human near future spaceships with forward facing thrusters for braking, and revolving parts for gravity were unique in their realism and much more appealing.
      I was in awe when I had to maneuver my ship through an asteroid field to dock with a space station embedded in a huge asteroid. And I loved it when I had to intercept and scan a freighter of a Japanese corporation. The later part of the game lost that special feeling.

It would have been refreshing and new to play a near future Space RTS game without aliens for once.
      The solar system is more than large enough to serve as a highly detailed magnificent background for inter corporate space war.

Nexus 2 as it was presented in this kickstarter held no special attraction for me and many others, if the discussions I had on this topic are anything to go by.
      Seeing all those uninteresting alien designs did not make my heart beat any faster, like it did when I toyed with the ships in the early part of the first Nexus game.

• spleendamage says:

I think Nexus 2 would be doing better if their promotional video wasn’t, like, completely unwatchable.

5. SanguineAngel says:

I pumped $60 which is, frankly, more than I have spent on a game in years. I must be extremely excited. Lucky for him that I started reading Dauntless the other day – it ramped my excitement factor up even more (On top of everything Roberts has said already making me feel like a 10 year old again every time I look at a video, or see/hear his words!) has just tipped me over the edge. I want to see this make $5m even more than any other game I’ve seen.

6. Iskariot says:

Above all this incredible success is a testimony to the fact that the space shooter/trading genre has been ignored for far too long. And now finally someone comes along to take it to the next level. I hope Chris Roberts can live up to the expectations of the fans. I have been a big fan of the Privateer games forever.
    To be honest I still hope that the Star Wars franchise (Lucas Arts) will pick this up. I would love to do battle in a next gen Xwing vs Tiefighter game with trading, bounty hunting, highly detailed starships etc. I never understood why they never made an Elite/Privateer like game. I can not think of any franchise better suited for this type of game. It is the natural gaming environment for a Star Wars game. I consider this omission one of the biggest blunders of Lucas Arts ever.

• EvaUnit02 says:

You want them to be picked up by Lucasarts and have the Star Wars license shoehorned in? Yeah nah.

I’d rather that Roberts’ company stay the masters of their own fates by remaining fully independent and self-published, owning their own IP, etc.

Lucasarts is notorious for closing studios/disbanding development teams/etc just as much as the likes of EA.

• Iskariot says:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have formulated clearer.
        No that was not what I meant at all. It is time Lucas Arts produces its own space trading/fighting game in the tradition of Elite and Privateer. They have never done anything like that, which I consider very weird.

• RakeShark says:

LucasArts has developed allergies to anything not Luke Skywalker or Boba Fett. It’s like they fear opening the Ark of the Space Simulation for fear of their faces melting/shriveling/exploding.

Actually, that would be the joyous fan reaction. LucasArts are tied to the cinematic technology pole keeping their eyes shut.

7. bit.bat says:

Is that enough money to hire Homeworld 1 and 2 art director Rob Cunningham to do the ship designs?

8. Yosharian says:

Damn the $30 tier sold out. *grumble*

9. Papa_Dragon says:

The trailer was awesome, but make sure to watch the actual TECH DEMO:
    It’s already looking very promising.

• SanguineAngel says:

Every time I see that stuff it takes my breath away.

• LionsPhil says:

Spaaaaace fighterrrrr.

I don’t care if it has a pair of intake fans on the front or something. It looks awesome with all its little maneuvering jets and foldy bits and a little dude inside pushing the footpedals.

• Papa_Dragon says:

Chris Roberts:
        “I will admit that the ship doesn’t need to have wings or fans on the front, but the idea behind that is for possible atmospheric flight (this is not a promise of planetary action for the early build but allows for expansions in this direction), and as a RAM scoop. Plus it just looks / feels cool!”

• Arglebargle says:

Space Opera! Prepare to fly incredibly advanced interstellar spaceships just like WW1 biplanes….

I guess we should be happy we don’t have to feed them hay and oats.

• LionsPhil says:

I had the sound off.

But, yeah, it’s cool, that’s reason enough. There’s already a space-airship-carrier with a flight deck, after all.

• Caiman says:

Cars would look a hell of a lot more boring if they were purely designed from a cost / aerodynamic point of view. They need to have at least some aesthetic appeal so that we’re tempted to buy one model over another. There’s no reason our human need to look cool will suddenly disappear if we ever begin exploring the stars like this. It’s one of the things that Star Trek got right – the purely functional Borg created a cube or a sphere because that was the most efficient design, but all the other races stamped their individuality onto their ships. So yeah, don’t ever lose the cool space ship designs.

• LionsPhil says:

…I thought that’d already happened, actually. A million melty blobs and Renault Scenic clones.

I miss the 20th century.

10. HexagonalBolts says:

I think RPS should launch a kickstarter.

11. pupsikaso says:

I just looked at the “Physics” video on the Kickstarter page and…. WTF?? Why is he holding an xbox controller???

• Unaco says:

Because he’s using the XBox controller to control the physics demo. Pretty obvious explanation. What’s the big deal? Do we still assume just because something uses a ‘console’ control pad that it must be a ‘console’ game? Is there something wrong with him using a control pad?

• pupsikaso says:

It concerns me deeply because not only do I not own a console controller, but I have no desire to ever use one. If the game is being designed to be played with a controller and then mouse and keyboard controls are just slapped on top with no proper consideration then yes, I think there is something very wrong with that.

• Sheng-ji says:

Lucky for you then that you are never going to have to demonstrate a PC game in front of a camera or audience!

• Unaco says:

“It concerns me deeply because not only do I not own a console controller, but I have no desire to ever use one. “

You won’t have to. KB/M, Joystick, all fully supported. Did you bother to READ any of the Kickstarter, or did you just see that 1 thing in the video, and decide to b*tch about it? It says it on the very page the Physics video is on.

“If the game is being designed to be played with a controller and then mouse and keyboard controls are just slapped on top with no proper consideration then yes, I think there is something very wrong with that.”

It isn’t. Again, I ask, did you bother to READ the Kickstarter page? It says that it’s supporting them all. In fact, it says “Joystick, gamepad, mouse, keyboard are all supported. We’ve all got our preferences, so why be forced to choose?”

Maybe doing a touch more research before jerking your knee and taking up your Keyboard to right some imagined wrong, would be beneficial… for your own blood pressure, and for the rest of us that have to read your fevered ramblings.

• EvaUnit02 says:

“Joystick, gamepad, mouse, keyboard are all supported.”

Don’t you just love reactionary morons who spew their comments online without doing even minimal, cursory research? Typical Angry Internet Man.

• pupsikaso says:

Every single terrible port of a PC game has “keyboad and mouse support”. How well do they play? Just because they claim they will support all those forms of control doesn’t mean each one will be done equally well. If you see the designer using the xbox controller to design the game then you know the game will be designed for the xbox controller, and all other control schemes will just be made to somewhat work.

• Unaco says:

It isn’t a PC Port. It’s PC only. Hell, in the very first video released/announcement, he was very clear that it’s made only for the PC. Or does that get in the way of your being the Angry Internet Man? The guy was using a controller in the video… get over it. It doesn’t mean that the game is secretly going to be for consoles with shitty PC support. It means… he was using a controller in the video. It’s easier to present something like that.

• beibars says:

The game is being made for PC and PC only, no console will be able to handle it. It will be playable with either a Joystick (recommended) or keyboard and mouse. He used the controller to navigate the physics demo easier.

In the other demo, he use the Saitek X52, hope this puts your mind at ease. Although I do not know why the panic, considering Chris stated that he has no intentions of making this a console game, PC only, and that controllers have been used on PC’s since, well, PC’s were made.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I play Tie Fighter with my 360 controller since my old Joystick is long gone.

/hides

• JayG says:

How does Tie Fighter play these days? Are there any mods to make it look better on modern systems? That was the game that originally got me into PC gaming.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I play the Tie 95 version, which is surprisingly nice looking, despite its age. I don’t know of any graphics mods, but the game itself is still absolutely top-notch.

12. Arglebargle says:

If I was a betting man, I’d be calling my Vegas bookie and putting money on the ‘under’ for expectations of this project. There are probably a couple of PT Barnum quotes applicable as well.

You all are probably just financing the continuing lifestyle of a bad Hollywood producer. Roberts always wanted to make movies, even when he was making the games you lionize. Suddenly discovering a love for those games or perhaps just a continuing love of feathering the bed? You’ll get to decide, but you won’t get your money back on the down.

• InternetBatman says:

This made me look up his IMDB profile, which almost made me pledge for his kickstarter. He produced Outlander, a delightful movie where Jesus-Beowulf crashes into the planet and does battle with his escaped prisoner, space-grendel.

• Arglebargle says:

Funny, my look at his IMDB profile just made me shake my head. Plus the intimations that he took a bunch of money from Microsoft to make a game and instead made and directed Wing Commander, the movie. A movie where a teleporting torpedo gave the best performance, imo.

• beibars says:

Considering the fact that his video games far outweighs his movies in terms of quality and reception, proves that he is more than suitable to produce video games than movies. Which is what compelled me to pledge, aside from the fact that I grew up playing most of his games.

In the end he is not making a movie, so I do not see the reason to judge his future endeavors in the video gaming business based on his past in the movie industry. As I said, his video games defined the space sim genre, if not video gaming history itself. And his film direction is not too shabby either, considering the FMV sequences he directed in Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger and it’s sequel.

• Arglebargle says:

It’s generic Auteur theory: His name was on the box, he’s the genius who designed it all! That’s not the info I have gotten. His work on Privateer and Freelancer are also not described as being particularly deep, but he’s given surface credit for those too.

Everyone, of course, can give as much credence as they want to these things.

• beibars says:

Of course he is the genius who designed it all, Wing Commander, Freelancer, Starlancer, and the rest of them were his visions, his concept and stories. If you want to talk about coding, graphic designing, of course it’s not his work, but without him there wouldn’t be a Wing Commander in the first place.

There is an extensive database of his contributions to Wing Commander, Privateer and the other games on Mobygames. The credits of original concept for Pirvateer goes to him. Needless to say the man has enough experience under his belt in designing space sims to prove that he is more than capable of delivering on this project, should he get funded.

• RakeShark says:

I’ll fully admit Roberts isn’t some Spielberg or Besson in terms of success and star power. But he’s not some Dino de Laurentiis either.

Personally the Wing Commander movie is a guilty pleasure of mine, up there with Ice Pirates and Krull. But few movies can stand up to the majestic perfection of The Last Starfighter.

Oh, this is a reminder to go watch The Last Starfighter, you miserable souls.

• Arglebargle says:

None of those are very good, you know. (Though I do like me some Krull! I also still have MOO3 on my hard drive.)

• RakeShark says:

Oh I know the guilty pleasures aren’t any good.

But you dare call The Last Starfighter not very good!? Heathen.

• InternetBatman says:

Last Starfighter was one of the sources I used on one of my theses, and I can assure you it’s not good. It’s like Star Wars without any talented actors.

• Arglebargle says:

Or a re-write pass by Leigh Brackett (for Internet Batman’s comment)

• Tim says:

The movie may have been terrible, but the skipper missile was straight out of WC3

13. pupsikaso says:

Wow, that cockpit. Is it going to have TrackIR support or similar? Will there be a point, though? Like, are the tactical displays shown in the cockpit just art fluff and all you need to know will be shown on the UI, or will the cockpit displays actually show you important information? In which case being able to move your head around in the cockpit will be actually useful. And looking around to see the bad guy, too.

• perfectheat says:

The Oculus Rift will be supported.

• FL-MiniMe says:

Read here for some interesting info on what’s in store for the UI
      There is also a mention of perhaps supporting Leap, if so perhaps Kinect as well? I haven’t used either system. But think of how entirely badass that would be with their already planned support for Rift and a joystick. Full working virtual cockpit. I didn’t see if the player model had individually articulated fingers, but I’d sure like to give someone the bird in space too.

• beibars says:

TrackIR is most definitely supported, and yes, the cockpit is fully interactive and animated, tho what you’ve seen is mostly in early alpha stages of development, one of the guys responsible for the design and implementation of the cockpit is taking questions at the forums, he and Chris confirmed this. In the end, this will be a space “sim” and not an arcade game.

• pupsikaso says:

Well, you can define a “space sim” in many different ways. Freespace2 is labeled as a “space sim”, but that’s more a genre lable than what the game is like. Sure it did so much more than any other “space sims” did before it, but it never really felt like a “sim” to me.

14. derbefrier says:

I am really excited about this. I only pledged 60 bucks at first but when ever they get the upgrades working and the ship information out(which should be soon) I will be pledging more. Its either the wingnut package or the tier above it. I am betting once this stuff gets released we will see a pretty good jump in cash again.
    For those having doubts about pledging…shame on you! Give this man your money!

• pupsikaso says:

These ships they are offering… is it something you will not be able to get once the funding is over? Or will we be able to build them eventually in the game if we start with nothing?

• RakeShark says:

You’ll be able to buy the ships later on through gameplay or the store, from what Q&A’s have said.

• derbefrier says:

From the information I have gathered all ships, including pre order ships, will be available to everyone regardless of how you bought the game. So you wont be missing out on content if you decide to wait untill release to buy the game, though I can’t imagine why anyone with a extra 30 bucks in thier pocket would do that!

• pupsikaso says:

It’s more about the ones that don’t have an “extra” 30 bucks in their pocket. GASP I KNOW POOR GAMER WTF

Anyway, it’s also feels a bit like cheating to me. Have some powerful ship available to you day one when you would have to work for it otherwise.

• beibars says:

Not really, the pledgers who contributed to the funding deserve the extras, without them there wouldn’t be a game in the first place, every Kickstarter has pledge incentives.

It should be noted, that the ships given away to the pledgers, will be available to the free players as well, for free. They just have to bought with ingame credits, which are earned by doing missions.

• pupsikaso says:

I actually meant that I wouldn’t want to get some powerful ship from the get-go just for pledging, because to me it would feel like I’m cheating. Nothing wrong with rewarding those that pledge, I mean it’s not like they are getting any ROI on their investment, need to give them SOMETHING because simply having a game they like made and a copy of it doesn’t seem to be enough for everyone. I just think there should be other incentives other than advantages like these.

• FL-MiniMe says:

The one big draw of getting any one of these ships is they will have permanent *ship* insurance. I’m assuming that is the complete ship package listed on their freshly released ship specs document.
        However, you will still need to buy insurance for all upgrades and cargo on any ship you fly.
        Plus you’ll be getting in on alpha and betas of MP and the SP campaign, so the wait perhaps won’t seem as long. If you’re a modder, that also means you can start planning and / or modeling sooner, with some guidelines on stylistic criteria.

15. TsunamiWombat says:

I remain tremendously skeptical that this project will turn out anything meaningful. Sorry to be the fun-hater. I’d love to be wrong.

• derbefrier says:

you know, he is promising a lot and I think that’s why I am so excited about it. I know in the back of my mind it will probably be impossible to get everything he wants in the game but I love that he has the balls to try it. A lot of these successful kickstarter projects you must admit, play it pretty safe. “Oh look these guys wanna make an old school isometric rpg!” while that’s cool and I’ll probably play them it doesn’t really serve anything but that feeling of nostalgia. Once a few are released you’ll start hearing cries for innovation again. This is a big reason I have never backed a kickstarter until this. Stuff like this that promises to push the limits of what we think a PC is capable of is what I want to see. I want to see some real vision not just people jumping on the nostalgia bandwagon and Star Citizen is the only one I have seen that has offered that so he got my money.

• wodin says:

I worry too..but I think the public rather than Chris is making it out to be something more than it will be..his description of the multiplayer certainly didn’t sound like some sort of MMO and if even states it won’t be an MMO experience, but some sort of instancing or something..

He also said it wont be anything like EVE and from how he said it and the context he said it in he meant mechanics and gameplay.

I’m in it for the SP game which again many SP players are expecting to be able to play the open world part SP aswell..which wont be possible..so many expect so much yet alot of it isn’t even promised or hinted at. I actually think it will be much smaller in scale both the SP game and the multiplayer side.

He should have stated he would make two separate games both a WC single player game and an MMO game..ran two crowdfunding projects one for each, he’d easily get 2.5 million on each game thus hitting his 5 million target..

16. The Pink Ninja says:

Looks rad, made a donation, hopefully when I get the “it’s done!” email int wo years I won’t be idssapointed I didn’t spend that money on muffins.

17. The Random One says:

Well, nice to hear it’s off to a great star-t.

18. Lev Astov says:

I so desperately want my own corvette sized ship to captain in this. I suspect the $250 tier with the Constellation ship is just that, but they don’t have any information about it! It’s a good thing, too, since that’s beyond my allotted monthly Kickstarter allowance.

Comment on this story