And Beyond: Star Citizen Has Raised $2 Million

By Adam Smith on October 25th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Chris Robert’s space game revival, the ambitious Star Citizen, has raised the $2 million that was needed before the development team could be convinced to turn on their computers and build a galaxy. Because of problems with their own money-gathering droids (they couldn’t gather it as fast as it was being thrown, as I understand it), the project moved to the magical land of Kickstarter as well. A quick bit of advanced mathematics confirms that the $586,615 raised through Kickstarter plus the $1,416,317 figure on the Roberts Space Industries site is more than $2 million. So it’s going to happen. Why should that excite your space-loins? Look here.

The Kickstarter still has a long way to go, ending on November 19th, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the money keeps coming at a fair rate. There are stretch goals, although they are of the ‘help us to do this sooner’ rather than the ‘convince us to do this at all’ variety.

, , , .

1. Iskariot says:

To think we will have to wait a few years before being able to play this…. It is torture.

• Papa_Dragon says:

Not really, multiplayer alpha for backers in 12 months:

• Truga says:

I already have a HOTAS on the way, because my current joystick just won’t do! I’ll be training in other games until this hits. Mostly Evochron, probably, since the model there is also Newtonian.

This is going to be so awesome, I’m already shaking with excitement!

• Everyone says:

Newtonian

Oh. :-(

I was all excited now I’m not.

• Papa_Dragon says:

Don’t be sad. Watch this first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LuHNXTN–0

• jkz says:

Why, what parts of special relativity will you be needing in order to enjoy the space game?

• Sheng-ji says:

Hehe, every time someone approaches the speed of light, the game speeds up for everyone else to model time dilation!

• jkz says:

This feature must be implemented!

frymaster says:

it looks to be fairly independence war-esque, which is one of the few games (along with descent) where you need 3 joystick axes for rotations and 6 buttons for translations (joystick with twist, plus hat switch, plus 2 more buttons)

as long as they also go down the “gameplay is king” route of making the thrusters (the retros, at least) be infeasibly powerful, I’ll be happy

• iteyoidar says:

The second Independence War was originally designed to be played on Dreamcast as well and kept most of the control system from the first one. I think you have plenty of axes on a 360 gamepad, though precise aiming could be a problem unless they have some kind of semi-autoaiming deal.

• Iskariot says:

I have been gaming for multiple decades, but I never played beta, let alone alpha versions of games.
        For me it is the finished product or nothing. I am weird that way.

• InternetBatman says:

I generally do not play betas or alphas, but the one and only exception has been minecraft. Minecraft had a unique product that already delivered far more than most finished games, and I started playing it a few weeks before the alpha turned into the beta (which was nothing of the sort – betas are supposed to be feature complete).

Smashbox says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here: That’s not going to happen, I would bet.

• derbefrier says:

yep but there are some decent ones to play in the meantime. My buddy and I found this game called Evochron Mercenary. I missed this one for some reason but its actually quite enjoyable. I would recommend it to any space sim fan. its also pretty cheap at 25 bucks

2. Xardas Kane says:

All praise the high and mighty gaming Lord. In a better world Nexus 2 would’ve gotten its fair share of kickstarting as well, but I guess you can’t have everything.

Now let’s all throw more money at them to make it bigger and better.

• Koshiir Ra says:

Nice to hear that Star Citizen received its funding.

But to be honest, I’m really starting to wonder if it’s necessary to regularly report on big projects like Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Star Citizen. These projects get enough attention as it is and still get several individual articles about them while other smaller games that need the publicity more get only featured in the Kickstarter Katchup. Makes the richer rich and the poorer poor.

Star Citizen has 8 individual articles, Project Eternity 9, Nexus 0, Distance 0. Surely one or two of those 17 articles could have been omitted in favor of an article about a smaller project.

I know, it’s not my blog, it’s not possible to report on every single Kickstarter project and I know that publicity doesn’t guarantee successful funding, but sometimes I just think about this.

• Papa_Dragon says:

If anything, Star Citizen should receive more attention, then those other projects.
        Why? Because
        Roberts has much more to show from the future game, then Project Eternity (1 screenshot), Wasteland 2 (couple of screenshots) combined.
        Besides trailer, the man has a working Tech demo already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92rb-8mYHE0
        It needs more attention, to (at the very least) set example.

• InternetBatman says:

You’re making the mistake of assuming that there’s a fixed amount of news, and coverage on one matter precludes coverage on another. They can only publish so many articles a day, but I think they keep it purposefully well-below saturation point so that they can expand when they want to.

• Koshiir Ra says:

Good point.

But, it still leaves me wondering why the big projects get lots of individual news while the small ones get none. Especially since RPS has the commendable habit of bringing attention to small, hidden indie games.

I’m probably overthinking this.

• Xardas Kane says:

I absolutely agree with you, although it is worth noting they did cover Nexus 2 on the Kickstarter Katchup.

• drinniol says:

You probably are. News stories in the gaming world come from announcements and milestones.

Vesuvius says:

Because the big stories are news? Because many of them are once-in-a-decade events, where genres that have dried up or developers who have been critically acclaimed but not financially successful are getting a chance to fly on their on, unfettered by publishers? Because Double Fine and Obsidian have long histories of making games with artistic and critical merit, and of being punished by the existing system for doing so, and by bringing attention to them you are saying that their vision, perseverance, and originality deserve to be rewarded- and that we want to exist in a world where more games of that sort exist, rather than the world that many big publishers would have us inhabit.

I don’t feel that these things should be covered to the exclusion of other projects, but they are (to me) very clearly newsworthy and the culmination of long histories and very clear to follow track records.

• Zanchito says:

You are not alone. I hope Nexus 2 gets its chance somewhere, because it was up there with Homeworld.

3. Papa_Dragon says:

Great stuff. Now on to the Stretch Goals. I really wish to reach the level on which Bengal Class Carrier will become controllable.

4. RakeShark says:

Kaloo kalay! Vindication!

5. DJ Madeira says:

Just imagine what we could do as first-world countries if we gave money to help starving children and suicidal factory workers with the same fervor.

• Sheng-ji says:

According to the world giving index, charitable donations from the top twenty countries alone is worth three times the worldwide gaming industry.

We already do give with three times the fervour we have for video games and that’s not counting non financial donations, for example people volunteering or helping a stranger, sorry to knock you from your soapbox.

Anyway, it’s good to see the village that you are feeding starving children in has internet so you can post. You are putting your money and your time where your mouth is, aren’t you?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Just imagine if you’d spent the time you spent writing that comment helping a homeless person instead.

• InternetBatman says:

Distributed Patronage is not really giving money to people though, for a large portion of backers it’s buying things that don’t exist yet. To equate a purchase with charity is silly.

Spork says:

Comments like this make me think there’s a chart somewhere of all the world’s good causes, ranked in order of worthiness. And we’re only supposed to support the top one, or else we’ll be wasting our money. Is there some sort of weekly top-40 show I’m missing?

• Sheng-ji says:

You need a psychiatrist to watch daytime tv with you and rank every charity advert in order of manipulativeness.

I can tell you that the current leader is Water Aid after a long run by various ass charities (donkeys, not bottoms), thanks to some glued on plastic flies under the eyes of children, however, I understand that the RSPCA is about to launch an advert with 10 dead puppies and 10 dead kittens being pulled from a canal. Odds are it’s going to trump it and become the new no. 1

6. Carbonated Dan says:

I was in for $250 until a friend pointed out that the multiplayer alpha is not the ‘player driven persistent universe sim alpha’ it’s deathamtch and coop alpha, with none of the persistent elements

I’ll be sticking at a $30 tier so long as the $5million goal is out of reach -

• Papa_Dragon says:

You probably misunderstood something. Persistent universe will be added right away at release if we reach this 5 million goal, yes. If not, it will be added anyway at a later date. That’s the plan for every stretch goal too. They all planned to be added at some point after release if their corresponding stretch goal is not met.
      But yeah, alpha and beta definitely will be limited to simple MP.

• Carbonated Dan says:

if they hit $5mil the persistent universe will aim to be launched in 30 months, a year after the single player

I’m very interested in a space sim DayZ-EVE mashup, so I’ll back $60 even if they don’t get close to $5mil, but if 30 months is asap with $5mil I’m not confident we’ll see the persistent multiplayer ever if they raise any less – no matter that they’re promising ‘eventually’: times change, they may decide market does not exist in four years

• Papa_Dragon says:

True, but they also may decide that if they want the market to grow, they may HAVE TO add the persistent universe. :)

7. TsunamiWombat says:

I still remain skeptical a product will be turned out.

• MrLebanon says:

indeed

• Xardas Kane says:

They did show off the working prototype, if nothing else.

Smashbox says:

A working prototype of the graphics engine, if nothing else. I haven’t seen any proven realtime rendering, networking or player control yet.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

• derbefrier says:

Serious question here, why? I could understand if you thought maybe they couldn’t get in all the features in due to money\technical limitations but any product at all? whats you reasoning behind that?

• Crimsoneer says:

Some products are just too broken to launch. Look at Subversion. We all thought it all looked awesome, but turns out it just was’t actually fun. I could happen.

• Fearzone says:

Same here. I’m glad it is being made but this is one I’m going to read the reviews on before I buy. It seems a little too hyped and over-marketed at this point. Hopefully we get what is promised.

• Arglebargle says:

I am constitutionally required to provide a debbie downer post. I think many have been successfully huckstered. They’ve bought the ‘genius game designer’ line, but they are actually getting a Svengali Hollywood promoter.

8. Kaputnik88 says:

I suggest we form a borg-like collective when the beta starts, all shall bow to the giant space shotgun!

9. derbefrier says:

Also they finally released the ship information

now I can go a head and upgrade. Just have to decide if I want the Hornet or the Constellation

• Archangel says:

Oh this is beautiful. Brilliant, and beautiful. He’s gone completely gonzo on the spaceship-as-custom-rig idea that started with the ship components in Privateer (and recently in Evochron Mercenary). This is going to be fantastic.

10. EugenS says:

Fine! God dang it, I just pledged 140 bucks (including that pesky shipping). This is the 3rd kickstarter I give to, after Project Eternity and Shaker (that one died, unfortunately). So here it is. If it’s half as complex and interesting as EVE, colour me impressed.

phlebas says:

Microtransactions and in-game bonuses for backers?

12. Sic says:

Looks like this is going to get released just in time for a proper Oculus Rift to be released to the public.

Can’t think of a better game to launch the device with, to be honest.