Constructive: The Bridge Project

By John Walker on October 25th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

It’s certainly true that we like to have a snigger at the increasingly niche and silly tractor/camping/truck simulating games. But the latest from Excalibur Publishing’s inexhaustible supply of simulations is The Bridge Project. And it… it looks kind of interesting.

Certainly it’s very much in their remit, of calm, oh-so-sensible projects. But I challenge you to watch this trailer and not think: ooh, I’d quite like to build a bridge now. Also, I doubly challenge you not to shout, “BREAK! BREAK! JUST ONE OF THE BRIDGES BREAK!”

Oh thank goodness, one of them broke.

I really can’t imagine this being used by most than as a disaster simulator, seeing if you can get a train to collapse onto a boat as it passes underneath, ideally while a plane falls out of the sky. Sadly I don’t think it will offer that, but at least we can watch trains collapse into rivers. We’ll always have that.

The game’s out tomorrow, inevitably bought through their funny old-fashioned webbe shoppe.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

jrodman says:

Bridges rule, tractors drool.

Smashbox says:

O! The imagery.

But really, I don’t know why I found this so funny.

2. AraxisHT says:

Reminds me of the iOS game Bridge Basher.

Morlock says:

The concept is old. Bridge Builder is the earliest of these games I know of. Bridge Builder is from 2000.

DeVadder says:

This looks exactly like Bridge Builder but with 3d graphics and more materials. I have to agree with Jim, i really want to build a bridge now, but i sure will do it in Bridge Builder.
        You can get it here: http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com/
        It is called a ‘demo’ but there never was anything else, just the demo and infinite additional levels and challenges downloadable.
        edit:
        In fact there now seems to be a non-demo extended version called Bridge Building Game, downloadable on the same site.

• povu says:

Wow, that brings back some memories.

• njursten says:

There were also two games released called Pontifex 1 and 2. I remember it as them being successors of bridge builder demo, but it might’ve just been that they were all released at the same time, back when the fad was ongoing.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I seem to remember them being related to Bridge Builder; they had the exact same mechanics at least. And yeah, this looks a lot like them. Had a lot of fun with those games when I was smaller.

• Joe Duck says:

Pontifex was the predecessor to Bridge builder I think. And it was an awesome game. The only problem it had is that there is actually an optimal basic shape that allows you to get through the whole game.

• ScottTFrazer says:

It looks like is basically Pontifex 4, it’s by the same guys?

• Triplanetary says:

2000? Ha. I remember playing bridge-building games on MS-DOS and Apple IIe back in elementary school.

bglamb says:

Armadillo Run!

Bluerps says:

I loved Bridge Builder. Man, that was long ago…

Carra says:

It looks exaclty like Bridgebuilder.

I had a lot of fun with that game, building bridges is fun.

3. TechnicalBen says:

“Test with busses” is the best sales pitch I’ve heard in years!

4. Trillby says:

Im all in suspense for this one. Hopefully this game will span the gap between new releases!

• Velko says:

I’m just hoping that it won’t be merely an abridged version of some older title…

• President Weasel says:

They’ve clearly (canti)leveraged their experience in other simulations to truss this game up nicely. They’ve (cable-)stayed true to their vision and I am sure they’re beaming at how well it’s turned out. Something something bascule bridge, something something.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Can’t wait to strut my stuff when this comes out.

Morlock says:

Games like this one rest on a solid foundation, although the execution is wonky at times. I hope there won’t be too many crashes!

Gap Gen says:

I too eagerly await this Forthcoming release.

tomeoftom says:

There’s going to be a lot of tension leading up to release, what with the rumours that they’ve compressed the campaign as a result of the publisher re-barring them from funding.

• Shadram says:

Sounds like they’re heading into troubled waters. If only there was some way over them…

• kromeboy says:

Naa i think that this game is just a bridge to far for my taste.

Hodge says:

Too far, pun thread. Too far.

EDIT: JINX!!

• Lanfranc says:

The game sounds interesting, but I wonder if it won’t just be a bridge to nowhere in the long run.

5. phelix says:

And I thought LAYERNET was the ultimate simulator behemoth.

6. ComradeJohan says:

There have actually been a great number of bridge builder games in this little niche market. they can be fun and very challenging! but it’s very rewarding to get a very hard bridge right and watch it succeed!

• Gnoupi says:

It also gave ideas to something which grew from a niche, a little game named World of Goo.

7. GallonOfAlan says:

Pontifex writ large.

8. Stuart Walton says:

This appears to be by the chaps who brought us Pontifex (Bridge Builder) and Bridge Construction Set. Games that I spent many an hour with.

Looks like exactly the same game but with better scenes and more materials to play with.

• Zeewolf says:

I don’t think it is. I think it’s just a rip off.

• Gnoupi says:

It seems to be from them, indeed: http://www.chroniclogic.com/bridgeproject.htm

Though the absence of reference to them in the video is surprising. There is reference to Halycon, which is their german publisher, though.

So I’m not really sure what is correct or not in the “new” game.
      In doubt, if anyone is interested, I’d suggest to get it from Chronic Logic directly (it’s cheaper too, with the currency exchange rates), to be sure.

And anyway, if something is sure, is that bridge building games are the specialty of these guys, for the past 10 years. So if buying any such niche game, I’d buy it from them.

• Zeewolf says:

I’m a bit confused, but I don’t think they made it. I think a German company called Caipirinha Games made it. Wouldn’t be surprised if Chronic Logic are just another reseller for it.

Also, didn’t the guys who made Bridge Builder start Cryptic Sea? They’ve been working on Pontifex III on and off for the last hundred years.

• Gnoupi says:

It’s confusing indeed. Chronic Logic are only developers, normally. They did put a section in their forum for support of this game, also.

Hard to really know.

Some developers from Chronic Logic went on to create Cryptic Sea: http://www.mobygames.com/company/chronic-logic-llc
          Well, and other stuff later, obviously, since it includes McMillen

• crypticsea says:

This is not made by the original developer (me), it’s made by a company that I was working with on Pontifex 3 but ended that contract. Since then they have apparently made a mediocre clone, and are now selling it on Chronic Logic website, the company I founded but have since left.

• Zeewolf says:

Sounds a bit lame. Is there any chance of a proper Pontifex III?

9. MrNash says:

I’m holding out for Circus Cannon Project, seeing as that is the ultimate form of travel when crossing canyons, large bodies of water, etc.

10. Hogni Gylfason says:

Pretty obvious reskin of http://www.auran.com/jet/bridgeit/ – which was quite nice.

• Gnoupi says:

Actually, both from the same developer, it would appear.

• Hogni Gylfason says:

Yup. Would have been nice to see some new mechanics instead of a straight up reskin and new locations. Like many, I really enjoyed the original.

• Vercinger says:

Seems like it isn’t, it’s just being sold by the developer of Bridge It. Check 2 comments above, crypticsea’s reply.

11. Whisperduke says:

Just add this level of customization into Sim City and I’m SOLD!

12. Pindie says:

As soon as I saw “hydraulix” I knew somebody somewhere will make a Skrillex montage once it’s out.
    Off da railz.

13. 4026 says:

TACOMA NARROWS DLC

corinoco says:

Auran died a couple of years back – a bit sad, one of Australia’s few home-grown companies, a startup before starting up and being an indie dev became fashionable. Looks like someone has the IP and has reboxed it. Auran’s version was ‘Bridge-It’ and was often a demo game for the Nvidia G400 class cards.

15. Tei says:

Soo much memories with pontifex!

16. BoZo says:

THIS IS AWESOME! I USED TO PLAY PONTIFEX 2 ALL THE TIME!

17. ucfalumknight says:

After watching that video I want to do 1 of 2 things. Build bridges and watch tanks roll across them OR sip tea with scented candles while listening to the music again.

18. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

My god, it’s like methadone without the euphoria.

19. SuperNashwanPower says:

As an engineer who never gets to engineer anything, I will be buying this to convince myself my mech eng. degree wasn’t pointless

BathroomCitizen says:

Oh gosh… the bridge collapsing under the train was amazing, and the candid music in the background was really the icing on the cake!

Chaz says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I really wanted to hear lots of terrified screaming when that train plunged into the water.

22. buzzmong says:

My brother has a game with a very similar concept on his mobile phone. It’s stupidly addictive and rather good when later on you’re given a bucket load of stuff to use and have to be creative to make the bridge work. It’s the same sort of feeling you get from building in Minecraft.

This game is definitely worth a look methinks.

23. Grey Ganado says:

I find it scary how many people actually enjoyed these types of games. I always thought I was the only one.

24. satsui says:

Okay, this actually looks interesting. I remember this one engineering game that was about building bridges on a blueprint and testing the design. I kept failing miserably.

25. Visualante says:

Reminds me of this one http://bridgecontest.usma.edu/index.htm played it a lot in school. The nice thing about it was the economic side of things. You could always challenge your friends to make the most affordable, safe bridge.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Hell yeah! I spent hours and hours making bridges in West Point Bridge Designer. I think I still have an old version on a floppy around somewhere…

26. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

use wood!

27. Narzhul says:

Will we be able to refuse when the game tries to make us build 3 bridges to an island with a population of 100?

28. somnolentsurfer says:

Also, best mouse pointer ever (0:42)

soulblur says:

I don’t know. I’m friends with several guys who build bridges. I absorb enough stress from their failures to make this seem like an exercise in self-mutilation. Where’s the public consultation? The ecological reviews? The budget cutting at the last moment? The legal fights afterwards?

30. Halbarad says:

But the question is, will your bridge be as touch as this bridge

31. Vercinger says:

What sort of weirdo would want to see a bridge break?! I bet you’re also the type of person that actually uses those horrible disasters in Simcity.

Also, shame on you for not doing basic research, which would have led you to the multiple bridge building games released in the past that this is likely a clone of.