Punching A Shark! Depth Hunter 2 Debuts

By John Walker on October 25th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

BITE, NOT BIFF!

Here’s what it takes to get featured on Rock, Paper, Shotgun: 1) Have a really interesting looking game. 2) Give us a huge amount of money in unmarked cash. 3) Feature a man punching a shark in your trailer. Depth Hunter 2 went for what is unquestionably the most effective route.

Craig took a look at the demo for the first Depth Hunter, and found it to be a surprisingly charming thing. Slow-paced, as things should be underwater, he speared innocent fishies (albeit not very well), and more enjoyed the serenity of nature’s swimming pool. However, there’s little serene when Pippin “Shark Puncher” Ferraras is around!

SHARK BIFF!

Pippin Ferraras is an official dude. But I won’t rest until he learns to leave sharks alone. If they were wandering into his living room and punching him in the face, then fair enough. But until I see videoed evidence, I refuse to believe they are.

The game is due out some time next year, and this time is apparently based on a TV show called Hunting The Abyss, which I’m sad to say I’ve not seen. However, I do want to venture that if you can free dive to hunt there, it’s not an abyss. So there.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Hunchback says:

Could be interesting if you can do some underwater sightseaing…

2. frightlever says:

Need more sandbox exploration games without goals, just cool things to find.

Sandbox exploration games without goats, however, are totally unacceptable.

3. Lucid says:

Whatever happened to that multiplayer game where you can play as a shark or a diver?

4. Roz says:

Err, John, who HASN’T been punched in the face by a shark in their living room?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Persistent Pipin has never been punched in the face by a shark whilst sitting in his living room.
      Persistent Pipin is the puncher, not the punchee.
      PERSISTENT PIPIN
      PERSISTENT PIPIN
      PERSISTENT PIPIN

He’s creeping up on you whilst you sunbathe on a beach. And rubbing a fish. Behind a tree. As he watches. In his spandex.
      Persistently.

5. GallonOfAlan says:

See, we’d be letting ourselves down with punning on this one.

6. Snakejuice says:

I was all excited during the first half waiting for the PUNCH but then it was just ‘meh’!

7. fencenswitschen says:

…and then the shark came back with a laser strapped on his back.

8. billyphuz says:

My dad once told me he was at a press conference for Jacques Cousteau, and when asked about what he does when confronted by an aggressive shark, he apparently replied, “well, I take out my camera, and I bop him on ze nose.” Tried and true practice!

9. e-dog says:

About that 3: would punching sharkman do too?

10. Symce says:

This game seems pretty Fishy to me.

11. Lev Astov says:

Ahh a combination of the two subjects I love most, sharks and games. When will games ever depict sharks properly? They should act curious and stay at a distance the vast majority of the time… until you least expect it.

Seriously, though, I’m sick of sharks always being super aggressive in every game. That needs to stop or their undeservedly terrible public image will never improve. Apathy has already let their populations collapse in the last few decades.

12. InternetBatman says:

I really, really want another Endless Ocean. I know it’s for the wii, but my partner and I logged over a hundred hours into each game.

13. Hodge says:

I want one of these but without the hunting. An underwater Proteus if you will.

14. SuperNashwanPower says:

This should be called “Persistent Pipin’s Porpoise Pursuit”.
    What a waste of a photo of a creepy bald man in a skin tight spandex outfit.

15. arccos says:

The middle section sounds like Darth Vader smoking from a hookah.

Comment on this story