A Pathological Inclusion: Indie Royale Halloween Bundle

By Adam Smith on October 26th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

This is incredibly unfair to the other games in Indie Royale’s Halloween Bundle but the reason everyone should buy it is because Pathologic is in there. Ice-pick Lodge’s disease-ridden horror story takes place in one of the most bizarre and fascinating environments ever crafted, and the game is either brilliantly and intentionally brutal or beguilingly broken. Probably both. For what is just shy of £3.00 (at the time of writing), you’ll receive Pathologic, side-scrolling changeable adventure Home, characterful puzzler MacGuffin’s Curse, retro ARPG Evil Quest, and Telltale’s strongest Sam and Max series – The Devil’s Playhouse. But you only needed to know about Pathologic, right? There’s a video below, because bundles have videos now.

Pathologic is worth the price of a pint. Don’t worry about the pint you don’t buy with the £2.80 or so that it costs you because there will be many more to follow. It might even encourage you to move onto spirits. Here’s what you should do: tell everyone you know who is interested in games to buy this bundle and then all go out for a drink together a week from now and talk about Pathologic. You’ll be in the pub until it closes and you’ll have cursed Pathologic, argued about what its redeeming features are, concluded that you can’t agree about exactly which flaws hold it back from greatness and then realised that at least one of you reckons it’s the best thing he/she has bought for ages. The other Smith wrote all about it.

I bought The Devil’s Playhouse when it came out, episode by episode, and enjoyed it. The puzzles are the most interesting in any of the three seasons and the villains aren’t as irritating. You don’t need to play the previous two seasons first either.

Of the others, I’ve only played Home and I didn’t finish it. Oops. I don’t even think it’s very long. The story is well told, even if it is reliant on lost memories and the like, and the changes in the character’s attitude and thoughts based on the player’s actions does actually make a noticeable difference, even if only in tone and detail.

I have a feeling MacGuffin’s Curse is the kind of game that John would love and a quick visit to the ‘tag’ search (after ‘love’ but before ‘and’) proves me to be very correct indeed. Here’s wot he thought about that.

, , , , , , .

1. mangrove says:

bundle-me-do!

Aerothorn says:

I’ve been holding off on pathologic till a patch fix, or re-translation, or both…but I probably should just go for it, and play it again if it ever gets updated.

• Vinraith says:

Personally I find it unplayable without a re-translation, which is a real shame because the atmosphere is amazing.

• andash says:

So is it confirmed that is the same old translation or what? Because I’m afraid I have to agree with you, I couldn’t enjoy it.

And that’s surely a shame because it seems like such a brilliant game. Ever since the day of the initial RPS writings on the game I wanted to experience it.

dare says:

I didn’t find the translation of the Bachelor storyline nearly that bad. It was more bizarre than terrible, made me feel like a big city doctor who couldn’t always understand the way people speak out in the sticks.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

Try playing Klara’s story.
          No don’t because you won’t be able to

dare says:

So I’ve heard (I think even the developers admitted that her story was horribly translated). Still, a friend of mine actually managed to play it through, so I figure I have to try it sometime.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

I could play it in native russian and understand more than in english.
            Not really though, Klara’s route is full of weird shit. You can try http://lparchive.org/Pathologic/ this amazing LP if you want to see it without exerting your right to masochism!

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

The RPS articles on it were really great to read, but that’s about all the Pathologic I’ll be exposed to.

• terazeal says:

I think you’d learn enough Russian to get through it before it gets another translation.

• Frank says:

Wow. I finally tried it thanks to this bundle, and that translation is atrocious. Also, what’s with the lack of subtitles in the opening scene? I couldn’t understand a word.

I’m glad I waited to get it on the cheap, as I’m done playing after five minutes.

3. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

wow. Just recently, I had been thinking it’s time for a new Sokoban.

4. InternetBatman says:

By the way, Pathologic isn’t on Steam if anyone is curious.

5. KDR_11k says:

Ah, that explains what Pathologic was doing on the Most Popular list on Desura.

6. Yosharian says:

So I just checked out this Pathologic game, and… what the hell is this thing about? Every single clip I found is just a guy walking around a town looting stuff and then trading it with other weird-looking NPCs. So this is a town trader simulator?

phlebas says:

It’s a game about trading your last bullet for medicine to save a sick child and then the child’s mother kills herself with that bullet.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

It’s a game about drinking gallons of water before you go to sleep in your shallow grave hoping you won’t die from the plague in your sleep

• NR says:

Go read this. The game itself is a little unplayable nowadays, and has major translation issues, but just the ideas/atmosphere behind it are fantastic.

phlebas says:

Anyone know if Evil Quest is any good? It looks a great bundle but that’s the only one I haven’t already got.

8. InternetBatman says:

Groupees just released their bundle too. True to form it’s less than inspiring.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

Cryostasis is cool, worth a buck at least. Too bad it will play horribly even if you could use your computer for effective buttcoin mining, the optimalization might be worse than Saints Row 2

• dE says:

And that’s putting it nicely.
        I think I’ll play it in about 2 PC generations. There might be hope for at least scratching 2 digit fps everyonce in a while. (actually that’s not fair, it’s just heavily reliant on PhysX).

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Optimalization and buttcoin. Did you translated pathologic? :)

phlebas says:

Oh, I don’t know. The bonus games are all things I’d quite like to try but wouldn’t want to pay much for, and I haven’t got them all already.

9. BlueSkies says:

Seems like Pathologic is good excuse to learn Russian.

• Bahoxu says:

Please do.

Then remove all distractions from your life and spend the time translating the game for us lazy people :-)

10. Deadly Habit says:

Groupees just started a Halloween bundle as well
    Bundle of the Damned http://groupees.com/damned

11. thurzday says:

I’ve got a text file with the dialogue from the first day and a half of Klara’s story edited into a (mostly) comprehensible format, but it’s just too tedious of a job without the unpackaged text files to look at. They apparently used to be posted online, but the retranslation project is long dead and the links have all 404′d. I’ve e-mailed around in an attempt to get my hands on them, but to no avail.

Anyway, I’ve played both the Bachelor and Haruspicus. The Bachelor’s story is better translated (especially the first two days) and generally more newbie-friendly, but either of them are understandable given a little extra thought. That said, even though I don’t know Russian, I can tell this game has one of the laziest English translations I’ve ever experienced–they even used “afaik” in the dialogue at one point. Still one of my favorite games, of course.

12. SuperNashwanPower says:

I think I need a walkthrough. I keep getting defeated by the GCSE Drama class quality writing and voice work. I didn’t see an ostentation setting or pretentiousness slider in the menu?

On a less condescending note, can I only interact with stuff thats flashing, and everything else is just scenery?

13. biggergun says:

What about that community retranslation project? There ceratinly was one, and I even remeber hearing a rumor about it being “mostly done” at some point.
    It is a shame the translation is broken, without the ingame text the game loses a good deal of it’s charm, I’m afraid. It is genuinely brilliant – I’d buy Pathologic in an instant if it was a book, just for the sake of characters reflecting upon fate, mathematics, anthropology and the nature of miracles before sending you in the general direction of slow and painful death from the plague.
    There’s also gameplay, I suppose, which is not much by itself, but does a lot a lot of interesting things with time, needs and the whole quest-reward thing, but still.

Oh, who am I kidding. Buy it, there might be a remake some day, buy it just for that.

14. Birky says:

I keep promising I won’t buy any more bundles and then they do this to me….

15. The Random One says:

Fortunately, I already have Pathologic! For which I paid around the same amount this entire bundle costs!

Yay!

16. Agnol117 says:

I would love to play Pathologic, but unfortunately I can’t because apparently my graphics card doesn’t support it, despite being well above the minimum requirements.

17. heshun says:

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

( http://www.likesurprise.com/ )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment.

18. TrueBlue says:

The music in the video is so cool, anyone knows from where it’s from by any change??

19. Zephos says:

Quintin Smith’s Pathologic essay was one of the best I’ve ever read.