Attention, London! Tricks, Treats And The RPS Social Club

By Adam Smith on October 26th, 2012 at 8:30 pm.

Convening in its usual location, The RPS Social Club shall no doubt be discussing devilry and dastardly deeds tomorrow evening as Hallow’s own Een fast approaches. If you wish to join the Cabal, you must go to The Blue Posts where from 7PM they shall be haunting the pint pots and whispering of their darkest imaginings. Do not be filled with fear but with joy, for you are cordially invited to join them. If you’d like to play boardgames before the serious business of beverage begins, then be there at 4PM. Discuss here and have fun. We really need to do one of these in Manchester.

1. The JG Man says:

Quick questions:
    1. What’s the food like there? General pricing?
    2. I’m not a big fan of beer. Is rum an acceptable substitute for alcoholic consumption?
    3. I have never been before. I know this isn’t a question, but I didn’t want to buck the trend I’d started. I look forward to seeing you all!

Stense says:

I’ve never eaten there myself but the food looks and smells like typical pub fare, burgers and chips.
      There are plenty of things besides beer., rum included.
      See you there!

• President Weasel says:

It is pub grub, relatively cheap for the centre of London. You can tell it’s not pricey when it arrives, but it definitely skews cheap ‘n cheerful, not cheap and nasty.

If they’re still doing it, you can get a rather nice chip butty (perfect drinking food) for a couple of quid.

Daave did throw up that one time after eating the chips, but I strongly suspect this was because a) he had drunk upwards of several beers beforehand, and b) he put butter on his chips, for reasons to do with a).

They sell a variety of booze, and I doubt anyone will look askance at you for ordering shorts. If I remember right the upstairs bar is smaller and has a more limited selection, but luckily, due to the magic of stairs, you can get drinks at the larger bar and bring them back upstairs.

edit: I am pretty sure Lewie Proctor had a chip butty that one time; the man is congenitally incapable of passing up a bargain. He lives for ‘em.

another thing – Adam, could you not get a train ticket and a hotel, then bring a dictaphone and a questionnaire and do a survey of “Wot They Think” with the readers, and then cunningly claim it back against your taxes?

• Alex Bakke says:

The food is great. And cheap for London. Very cheap.

My friends and I drink colourful shots. The barmen are well aware of this, and are fine with it, even experiment! I had a creme de menthe, baileys and some red spirit, all in one 25ml measure. It was very nice.

When you get upstairs, make sure to look around nervously to see if you’re in the right place, before frantically trying to work out who to start a conversation with. It will identify you as One Of Us.

• Malk_Content says:

The first time I turned up all I had to was cough and say “hi I’m new” and I was playing a boardgame within the minute, so it isn’t all that scary. Also people should totally come at 16:00, that way you will be in deep with conversation before the throng arrives.

• Siri says:

Bet they still remember how to whip up a Bad Alice. Try asking for one.

2. GernauMorat says:

Is anyone heading there from angel area?

3. MuscleHorse says:

I need more notice than this. One day I’ll attend. Sad face.

• Ansob says:

You’ve had about six months’ notice, as it’s been happening on the last Saturday of every month for that long (this is also posted in the thread). No excuse, really. :P

4. eldwl says:

Please organise one in Manchester. I’d be down from Preston in a flash…

5. Alexander says:

Oh, the joys of not being born in the UK, but in some second-world country from Eastern Europe. Oh, well, have fun, damn you… I’ll just spend my Saturday crying and thinking how a meeting like this must be.

6. LionsPhil says:

Unrelated, but this is the newspost most about RPS itself: Protomen lyrics in the RPS site header?

Night duly lit up.

7. Thingus says:

Curses! I’m in London for the MCM Expo, but my train leaves from Euston at 5. Foiled by my own forward planning!

8. Meat Circus says:

Hello my pretties. Come unto me.

Lambchops says:

Dear RPS please emphasise these earlier n advance or else some of us might organise other things!

Despite the “plenty of notice” mentioned above some of us are idiots and will organize such benign things as games of squash unless they are reminded to leave RPS social nights free in their calendar!

Lambchops says:

That said I might still try and make it as I had a great time last time around and I’d thoroughly recommend anyone sitting on the fence to come along as the RPS lot are as lovely as bunch as you would hope.

10. Iskhiaro says:

You guys should do one in Leeds :D

11. CletusVanDamme says:

Let’s make Manchester happen folks.

12. wodin says:

Adam come to Liverpool..I can’t drive you see and am disabled..see if we can get a few together somewhere in Liverpool..I’m in Melling..not rough and a good pub up the road.

13. GernauMorat says:

Is anyone still at the pub?

14. ieoosjks says: