The RPS Bargain Bucket: Your Boulder

By Lewie Procter on October 27th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Lets all buy all of the cheap games! I’ve listed them all here. Right here. Ok, not right here, but a little bit after these very words you can find the highlights of this weekends digital gaming offerings. For even more of the gaming cheapness, and deals across all platforms, get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk. It’s the bargain bucket:

Jet Set Radio – £2.99/similar prices in other currencies
I’m pretty surprised to see this HD rerelease reduced in price so quickly. I’m not stopping to ask questions though. This game still looks the part, and this new PC release is basically fine, although I can’t imagine it controls very well without a controller of some kind. This is a brilliant off the wall game, like what Sega used to make at their most creative. It’s a bit of a fiddly bastard at times, but when you sting together a series of well placed jumps and grinds, it feels excellent. Remember kids, graffiti is art. However, graffiti as an act of vandalism is a crime.

Rock of Ages – £1.74/€1.99/$2.49
Rock of Ages is off it’s nut. Rather than a stage show staring a man that hates women and probably himself, this is a pythonesque ball rolling sim/tower defence game thing. Here’s wot Jim thought:

Rock Of Ages has a simple premise of the kind that makes for strong videogames: you roll your boulder down the map to smash a gateway. If you can smash down the gate (which takes a few attempts) then you can crush your opponent, and that’s level complete. Simple enough, except the map is a huge slope that graduates through the levels into being a series of slopes with different routes and islands. This means that the immediate challenge of the game is in actually driving your boulder down a slope and hitting the gate at maximum speed, so as to cause the most damage. But there are a few further layers of complication to come.

God bless Ace Team.

Bioshock & Bioshock 2 – £4.65/€5.79/$7.49
Available as either a version that activates on Steam, or as one that doesn’t. Both use Securom, because 2K seem to like installing nasty things onto the computers of their paying customers.
Shockingly good value, here. The original Bioshock might not be the best immersive sim out there, but it’s a game full of fantastic locations, interesting story, and for all it’s faults it’s packed with great ideas. No doubt that Bioshock’s critical and commercial success helped pave the way for the likes of DXHR and Dishonored. The sequel had improved combat, and had a few great sections, but it was largely retreading the same ground. Both totally deserve a play, and the new one is looking pretty sweet too. Here’s wot Alec thought of Bioshock the second.

Left 4 Dead – £3.24
Left 4 Dead 2 – £3.74
The two L4D games combined contain more zombies than you can shake a bottle of pills at. Here’s wot John thought of the sequelier of the two games:

I’d almost forgotten those moments. There’s only three of you still alive, the rescue helicopter is right there, in view, and you can’t move. One companion is pinned to the ground by a frenzied Hunter, another is barely alive, fallen from the path, trying to negotiate a route back, and you – you simply can’t move. There’s so many of the Infected surrounding you, pouring from over fences and climbing from a hole in the ground, swamping you, and no matter how many you kill more take their place. And the rescue boat is just there, you can almost touch it, and you can’t move.

And the rest is here.

Deal of the week
Rayman Origins – £4.99/similar prices in other currencies
I wasn’t too keen on this at first. Sure, the lovely brightly coloured high res artwork was instantly appealing, but the controls were a bit too floaty. I stuck with it, and gave myself a bit of time to get used to the movement, and it started to click. It’s a great little platformer, with brilliant music and some brilliant level design, and at this price I’d say give it a go even if the demo didn’t seem up your street. I guess they do make them like they used to. Read wot Alec thought here.

Also of note:
Latest Indie Royale is pretty good.
Super Meat Boy – £2.49/similar prices in other currencies. Registers on Steam.
Sonic Generations – £4.99/similar prices in other currencies. Registers on Steam.
Nordic promo at GOG.

You can find more cheap games over at SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. d32 says:

There are also two other kind-of-bundles running here:
    groupees
    and here:
    getloaded

With second one being bit more pricey (12 EUR) but offering choice of two AAA games.

• Jupiah says:

Get Loaded bundle details: 2 games for 15$ USD. Games Available:

Steamworks keys:
      Darksiders
      IL-2 Cliffs of Dover
      The Darkness 2
      Metro 2033
      Serious Sam: The Second Encounter HD

“Not Steam” DRM:
      Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition

• phelix says:

Damn! I don’t have a credit card and PayPal hates me so it takes twice as long to process bank transactions for me than they say it will. Shame, I really want Cliffs of Dover.

• grundus says:

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve just bought IL-2 Cliffs of Dover and The Darkness 2 in addition to Jet Set Radio. I can think of worse ways to spend £13, such as on train tickets to Hemel Hempstead, Lambrini or shoes. £13 shoes must be terrible quality.

• Howard says:

I may be tired but…what am I buying here? Steam keys? Retail? What?

2. Retro says:

Rock of Ages is off it’s nut.

and for all it’s faults

3. The JG Man says:

I can heartily recommend Super Meat Boy as being a challenging, but oh-so-rewarding platformer that is probably the best platformer we’ve had in years.
    I can also heartily recommend Sonic Generations as a great Sonic game and worth it for those who have ever liked the franchise.

Have a controller for both!

4. Winged Nazgul says:

Anyone know if Rayman Origins is a Steam key? It says keycode activation for DRM so not sure.

5. Howard says:

“No doubt that Bioshock’s critical and commercial success helped pave the way for the likes of DXHR and Dishonored. ”
    What on earth does a totally linear, Serious Sam-esque FPS have to do with either of the other games?

• Xocrates says:

Despite not being a huge fan of the original Bioshock myself, I wouldn’t be nearly as hasty to ignore the influence that game had.

Through all its flaws, Bioshock proved there was a market for slower and thoughtful FPS with varied playstyles. No, it doesn’t play like DXHR or Dishonored, but it did provide a platform from which those games could be pitched.

• mwoody says:

Bioshock was about as linear as Dishonored, and only marginally less than DXHR. None of the three you mention are exactly freeform or totally open world.

• Xocrates says:

That’s… really not true.

For some reason people remember Bioshock as much less linear than it actually is. Yes, it does have some hub areas and forces you to backtrack a lot, but the general level design was often a straight corridor.

Dishonored at its most linear tended to have a vertical element which would give you more ways across said area.

• Howard says:

This is just untrue – entirely. Dishonored is open ended – you are free to even subvert your own purpose in it . I am not saying that the game is perfect – it is deeply flawed – but to even pretend that there is a single connection between Dishonored/DX and Bioshock is just…wow.

• Rawrian says:

Yeah, who cares about world design, story and such.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Come on now, Dishonored isn’t that linear.

• Howard says:

Bioshock is 100% linear – you fanboys genuinely disturb me. I am not saying it caused cancer or anything but it is an utterly and completely linear game in which you have no choices bar which item from your INSANE arsenal you choose to kill someone with.

To imply that that perfectly standard (though entirely up itself) FPS had any impact on anything else is just ignorant. The thing that inspired DX:HR was Deus Ex and the thing that inspired Dishon(u)red was Dark Messiah.

Why you people have to lie to yourselves is just beyond me. Enjoy the game for what it is but don’t try and paint it as the second coming.

• aurens says:

as if it wasn’t obvious enough that you just wanted to be a contrarian gadfly from your original post.

• Howard says:

Yes because I disagree with a patently ridiculous statement spouted by an attested fanboy I am “contrarian”. Please…

• aurens says:

• Howard says:

Well at least you make sense then…

• Alextended says:

I’d say Thief inspired Dishonored. And it’s pretty damn linear. Purely mission based with a hub you’ll keep going back to (and some missions taking place in areas you’ve been in before). Just with some side quests to do within said missions and a variety of ways to infiltrate a given area, that you’ll always have to go in. So, yeah, like Thief. With smaller levels. And segmented into yet smaller areas. Sadly. Still a good game though. But too easy outside challenging your own self with certain tasks like ghosting or whatever. Still, I wouldn’t call it open ended on any level. If Dishonored is open ended then so is Hitman and all sorts of other super linear games that simply allow you a variety of approaches to a given objective.

• Xocrates says:

It amuses me greatly that you’re probably lying more to yourself than any of the people you just called fanboys.

• Howard says:

Why? Because, again, I disagree with you and the overbearing hivemind view? Bioshock was an average shooter – nothing more. It espoused a lot of tat that it never took anywhere and aspired to be something far greater and more serious but failed on all counts. A fun romp through some linear tunnels with crazed amounts of weapons? Sure. A genre defining game that was so good it went back in time and inspired Deus Ex? Not a chance mate.
          I am not saying it was a bad game (it can be viewed as such, but only if held to the promises made by its developers) but it is not the pivotal point in human artistry that some people try and sell it as.

• Xocrates says:

That’s the thing isn’t it? I didn’t even disagree with you about the game, but you’re still acting like I did.

Also, being highly influential isn’t the same thing as being genre defining or, for that matter, good.

Regardless of your opinion of the game, Bioshock’s commercial and critical success was the stepping stone that convinced publishers that games like Dishonored and Human Revolution could thrive in the current market (key word: current. I’m well aware that there have been other games like them in the past), so even if it never influenced those games directly (though in the case of Dishonored that’s a blatant lie) it is a very big reason on why those games even exist in the first place.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Howard, i’m fairly confident that if you read back through your comments and divide the number of words by the way they’re expressed the result always comes out as ‘weird’. Which, to be fair to you, fits in totally with the approach to Halloween.

Also, in relation to the somewhat pointless ‘argument’, much credibility was possibly lost at ‘Serious Sam-esque’. Anyway, backing slowly away from you now with both hands raised while carefully noting the emergency exits.

• fish99 says:

And the thing that inspired Deus Ex was System Shock 2 and before that System Shock. Let’s not pretend here that Deus Ex defined a new genre.

• fish99 says:

Bioshock was not 100% linear, it had hub based level design. You had some freedom to explore, even if your goals were generally achieved in a specific order. There are highly regarded games like Half Life which are WAY more linear than Bioshock.

I’d agree about it being over-rated though, 96% metacritic with the amount of problems it had, like the last third of the game being sub-par, the end boss being terrible, the story ending, the story twist, the iffy shooting mechanics, the mouse acceleration and low FOV on PC (mostly patched later on), the fact that they dropped the RPG elements and turned it into a pure shooter etc. If Bioshock was a 96%, SS2 would deserve well over 100%.

• Howard says:

And this is the issue. People on this site have no idea what freedom in games actually is.
          Meandering through the same scenery twice is not freedom or “open design” and having a set goal is not linearity. You all need some basic comprehension lessons.
          Dishonoured IS open because your choices within its defined parameters (and all games must have at least one) are genuine, affecting and marked. There are no choices in Bioshock bar “kill or not kill” (and only with regard to the Little Sisters). The rest of the game is simply a corridor shooter. You walk along, following a huge glowing arrow, killing everything along the way. There is no moralising, no reasoning, no stealth and there are no decisions. You have to do exactly as you are told and anyone not you has to die or the game will not move forward.
          Is it a better, more interesting class of linear FPS? Possibly, but the Serious Sam reference is entirely apt as not since Quake have I carried so many weapons.

And yes, I know SS1/2 spawned Deus Ex but Dishonoured comes directly from Dark Messiah and even feels the same when playing it.

Deus was progressive, taking what SS1/2 taught it and moving on. Bioshock tried to ride the coattails of other games while innovating nothing. Dishonoured is doing the same as Deus did, showing us what games can do and expanding the standard definition of a first person game.

But the argument is pointless. Those who worship at the throne of Bioshock will not be told that the world was not created simply to house their deity. Even though I have not slandered Bioshock or lauded Deus/Dishonoured/anything else, you all have to rage and mock and argue. You have fun.

(Now I remember why I stopped posting here…)

• fish99 says:

Did you even read my post? Where exactly did I rage, and where did I “worship at the throne of Bioshock”? I actually didn’t say a single positive thing about the game, I said it was over-rated and pointed out why. If you’re not even going to read my post then I’m wasting my time.

• fish99 says:

Whatever you say, a game with hub-based level design, which gives you areas to explore rather than sending you down a literal corridor, can not be described as “100% linear”, so whatever you say you are still wrong. You either didn’t play much of it, or have forgotten what most of the areas are like. Also defining linear in terms of games giving you moral choices, that’s entirely your own definition and is not what most people are referring to when discussing the linearity of a game. Most people are talking about level design, for instance the original Doom would not be described as having linear level design these days.

• bill says:

I remember Bioshock as being pretty open and hub based. There were several places where you could choose the order to complete your objectives. Even where “linear” it’s levels tended to be a lot more open and Doom like with alternate routes, and a lot less CoD/BiA linear corridors.

• jrodman says:

As someone who does not generally care about FPS games, and hasn’t played any of the titles discussed, I can only say that Howard surely has tried hard to make this a tiresome thread.

• wengart says:

I think open can be a relative thing. At its heart Bioshock was a linear shooter with a cool environment and an interesting set of weapons. Compared to games like Morrowind and some of the older RPGs it most certainly isn’t open, but compared to a number of the more popular games today I think it could be called open. For xample, COD, and MOH.

6. tenochtitlan says:

Also the both Just Cause titles are cheap on steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/news/9216/

7. MrNash says:

Also it looks like Endless Space is discounted on Gamersgate this weekend (33% off).

• Dextro says:

Gamersgate also has a nice 20% off voucher for the Gods & Kings expansion to Civilization V: CIV5GK-GOLDEN-JOYSTICK

If you add that to the 15% off IGN code you can get it for around £12. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

8. michaelkelleherthename says:

Indie Gala got a pretty good bundle going too: http://www.indiegala.com/

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

This £4-quidish bundle is quite the treat if you like a bit (a lot) of strategy. Plus, unbeknownst to me, the ‘happy hour’ they just had provided a full bonus set to gift to someone else! (perfect as I’m schizofrenic).

9. B0GiE-uk- says:

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare also a bargain at £11.59 delivered on http://www.wowhd.co.uk

10. MSJ says:

Greenman Gaming now has Sleeping Dogs at $25 for 12 more hours, and it registers on Steam. You will also get $4 cash back or $6 GMG credits.

If you are new to the site, here is a referral key that will get you $2 credits.

11. Phantoon says:

Linear now means “not Minecraft”.

12. Kamikaze_Tutor says:

Don’t buy Bioshock 2, the game doesn’t work properly with the new GFWL update.
    At first I wasn’t aware of it but the main reason that the multiplayer in that game is dead is because it crashes every time you try to start the separate executable for the mode.

Besides, it’s pretty certain that you’ll get in a update loop trying to install the latest patches.

I tried to buy Minerva’s Den this past Friday and it was impossible. The most recent GFWL Marketplace app would just link me to a web page, the ingame client that came with the game kept crashing and searching for “Bioshock 2″ doesn’t bring the expansion.

What a mess.

13. angramainyu says:

A word or warning about Rock of Ages listed gamepad controller support: Doesn’t actually seem to work, except for the menus. I’m unable to play the game with a controller. Two-player split screen with one on keyboard and one controller is not supported. Allegedly it has two-controller support but I’m skeptical given that one does for single-player.

14. NationOfThizzlam says:

Dark Souls PTDE now half price on Amazon, registers on Steam. Maybe US only?

• trjp says:

Usual Amazon thing applies – enter a valid address in a non-sales-tax paying state (Alaska works) and you can buy it with a non-US card.

The only issue is whether the Steam code is region locked – this is VERY scarce and I’m sure it’s not a problem but it’s worth bearing in mind.

If you’re in the UK, Simplygames do it for £14-odd which is only slightly more pricey

• MiKHEILL says:

It’s only $0.09 more expensive on cdkeyshere.com, and they don’t require a U.S. address or anything of the like. They’ll just send you the steam code.

• NationOfThizzlam says:

Just bought it. Wish I could help with the region-locked thing, but I’m in the states… I can, however, confirm California-compatibility. So there’s that.

Comment on this story