Hanging On The Telephone: Hotline Miami DLC Planned

By Alec Meer on October 29th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Part of me objects to the very concept of expanding Hotline Miami – “IT IS A PURE AND PERFECT SHINING DIAMOND OF FLOW, CONTROL, MOOD AND BRUTALITY LEAVE IT ALONE” – but most of me just wants to play some more Hotline Miami. Devs Dennaton have quietly revealed that DLC for the game of fluid murder is in the works, as well as ongoing patching for the buggy old dear, proper joypad* support and more “secret” things.

This all came up from Dennaton’s Dennis Wedin fielding queries on HLM’s Steam community page. “If people enjoy the game and want more we have a storyline driven DLC in the plans with new characters and diving further in the story”, he said, adding no less than three exclamation marks to the end of it. Perhaps this will provide the plot answers some feel they need, though I’m personally entirely happy with the story as is – it’s about a Lynchian mood, not facts. I scoff at your facts, siree.

Also promised are “some things we are gonna do with HLM in a future update :) but that is a secret for now!”

Multiplayer? More masks? A face-biting attack?

More specific answers to specific tech problems may be found in this thread.

* I remember at, around age 14, ordering a “joypad” from Argos. The lady at the till had never heard of the term before, and regarded me with deep suspicion upon reading the word ‘joypad.’ To this day, I feel embarrassed that a stranger was convinced a schoolboy was buying a sex toy.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Mechorpheus says:

If you ask me, Game of the Year so far…..

I feel that meme of Fry is requried. JUST TAKE MY MONEY!

2. Didero says:

That’s probably why most people call the device a ‘gamepad’.

‘Joystick’ is still weird though.

3. apocraphyn says:

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

4. jthmmdom says:

Does anyone know what the story is all about? I feel like I should understand and that the game has so much work put into the narrative for it to not to have purpose.

Thoughts?

• hello_mr.Trout says:

the secret ending (if you collect all the various scrable letters placed thru the main storyline’s levels, and then correctly assemble them via the ‘puzzle’ screen) explains lots/adds further complexity i found.

• 4026 says:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

It’s more or less all explained by the two fourth-wall-poking “janitors” (read: outrageous self-inserts of Wedin & Söderström) at the end of the epilogue.

In short:
      “So, there was no point to any of this?”
      “Nope. But you had fun, though, right?”

• Hahaha says:

That’s one way of looking at it

• jthmmdom says:

Is it really as simple as that? I mean if there is going to be more dlc story I imagine the story was more than just have fun.

• Persus-9 says:

Ah but, 4026, you clearly haven’t solved the puzzle and looked at the alternate ending where motorcycle helmet guy finds out what they were really up to.

• Tiax says:

THE STORY SO FAR :

(MASSIVE SPOILERS !!!)

It’s a french forum but all the text under the spoiler tag is in english.

This version of the story is currently the one endorsed by the devs.

5. ResonanceCascade says:

Well, I guess I’ll be listening to the Nerves all day now. Thanks, Alec.

6. bit_crusherrr says:

A level editor would be a bangin’ addition.

• MrNash says:

Came here to post this. Hurray for like-mindedness! And hurray for Dean Learner! =)

Dilapinated says:

Haha, oops. I didn’t see your comment and posted the exact same thing. But yes, this.

7. Vexing Vision says:

Wait, is DLC now acceptable again?

• Baboonanza says:

Depends on how curmudgeonly you are.

• LennyLeonardo says:

When was DLC unacceptable? I think I missed that.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Surely it mainly depends on whether it’s good or not? Or do people not mind about that any more?

Edit: Self reply! Well done!

• Bhazor says:

Good DLC is fine. When it’s essentially an old fashioned add-on pack with lots of content at a reasonable price. When it’s £2 for a new mask and 2 maps then it’s back in to dick territory.

• Hahaha says:

It depends on if a cost is attached, no?

• pupsikaso says:

I think DLC was only unacceptable when it was parts of the game proper gutted out post-development (but pre-shipping) in order to then sell it to you for extra shinies.

• Brun says:

Which is a pointless distinction, given that it’s impossible to separate the “gutted parts of the game” from stuff that would never have been in the game in the first place were DLC financing not available.

• Bhazor says:

No it isn’t.

Look at the absolute nonsense THQ get up to with any major release. Preorder bonuses? Retailer specific content? Weapons/items clearly finished in time for release then bundled into a DLC pack?

Whats the difference between a few DLC packs and an add on? Answer: about 20 bucks.

• Brun says:

Would any of that Preorder content, retailer specific content, weapons/items have been made AT ALL if THQ couldn’t count on getting at least SOME additional money from it?

• kwyjibo says:

Yeah, I remember the bulletin boards aflame when Scourge of Armagon came out, how dare they.

• Bhazor says:

Silly, indie darling releasing DLC suspiciously close to release date is completely fine. It’s completely different when its a big name developer. This is because of reasons.

• HisMastersVoice says:

I’m pretty sure a whole level of Hotline Miami along with text, cut scenes and VO takes less time to do than a single NPC full character model for a modern AAA game.

• tobecooper says:

He is not releasing DLC right now. He is planning DLC now.
        The game met with success and people are asking ‘can we have more?’ to which the indie guys answered ‘Oh, you like it and you want more? I dreamed about this moment! Will do, good sirs! Bless you all with indie love!’

• Wauffles says:

I don’t think you actually grasp the argument against a lot of the DLC there’s been hubbub about recently if that’s your opinion.

But way to couch it in awesomely condescending language to support your point.

• Hahaha says:

Where did he say paid DLC? or does bhazor have some insider knowledge?

How is free DLC bad?

DLC = Downloadable content
        not
        Downloadable content that you must pay for

• fish99 says:

Good DLC has always been acceptable. Like the Borderlands DLCs, which 10 years ago would have been a single paid expansion pack. They’re probably longer and better quality (combined) than most expansion packs I’ve played, and cost about the same. In the past a lot of expansions were farmed out to 3rd parties, which resulted in them being short and subpar.

It’s stuff like horse armour that deserves criticism, which was overpriced for what you got, and the way Bethesda seemed to have made horses weedy in Oblivion to make you buy it.

• Eddy9000 says:

I would like to add the New Vegas DLC to your good DLC list, which were all substantial and mostly better than the core game

• Inglourious Badger says:

GTA 4 and Binding of Isaac had good DLC. It just needs to be worth the asking price, whether that’s whole new storylines in GTA, or loads of new stuff for BoI for cheaps.

Charging £5 to unlock soldier modding is bad DLC (XCOM I’m looking at you).

8. Hahaha says:

Still waiting on the expo lvl :(

9. caddyB says:

MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE

10. kwyjibo says:

I want levels set in New York where I wear a Turtles mask and use nun-chucks.

Troll Nickelodeon, and when then back down when they send a cease and desist and a lot of press attention your way.

11. Lucidity says:

Can we have some Parisian DLC complete with murder by baguette battery and Zidane styled headbutting? Please? Pretty Please?

Dilapinated says:

I would only accept this with a Subway level where you could beat people to death with a flourescent light and a bass guitar.

• Sleepymatt says:

Don’t forget Cantona-kicks!

BathroomCitizen says:

I think that the game could quite benefit from a Steam Workshop integration. That’s the future I see for HLM.

You know, custom levels and such.

13. fish99 says:

Finished this twice over the weekend, loved every second of it. Pure gameplay and great soundtrack.

14. Stevostin says:

Can I first have a patch that fixes the crappy middle button bug please ? So I can play the game ?
    Also, need a “continue” button in the menu (rather than starting by the chapter following the one you haven’t completed yet) and recognition that a good deal of the world actually don’t have QWERTY keyboards.

Dilapinated says:

Yeah, I had that a few times:

Go back into game. Go to Chapters. Look for last one that’s been unlocked. Start it. Realise this is past where you left.

It’s an odd.. Bug?

BubuIIC says:

That bug was fixed for me with the first patch. Before that the scores for a level got counted towards the next level, which probably unlocked it.

I have the GOG version and had to reinstall the game and in that process deleted my save-game. I don’t know what fixed it but now everything works.
        And it took me 30 minutes or so to replay to where I was. If you have figured out a level it’s not that hard to complete it again.

15. Tiax says:

Hey devs, please make the new levels harder, the current ones are a bit too easy once you figure out a few basic tricks !

Dilapinated says:

To be fair I think that the scoring system does an okay job balancing that out, with Mobility and Flexibility there to try and encourage a flowing, creative playstyle (though apparently the Drill is ridiculously OP in that regard, so it’s certainly not perfect).

16. Pootie says:

I pre-orderd the game, played it now for few hours since the release and its really a great indie game BUT still very very buggy. So patches first, DLCs second priority plz…