Pagan Pricecuts: Steam’s All Hallows’ Eve Sale

By Alec Meer on October 29th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

mwah-hah-hah, etc

It’s some sort of annual festivity, which means there can only be a Steam sale to match. If you’re not too busy pouring boiling oil onto the damnable children who keep on turning up at your door and begging for candy while you’re busy trying to watch the latest episode of M.A.S.H., you might wish to play a videogame which you’ve not paid much for. Over eighty games are in the sale, most of which have a scary theme and crazy-low prices. There are also quite a few zombie-related games, but we all know zombies are about as scary as a cat dressed up as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart these days.

WARNING: Comic Sans is used on the Sale page.

My personal picks would be Atom Zombie Smasher, Amnesia, Lone Survivor, Stalker Call of Pripyat and Vampire Bloodlines, but you’ll be wanting to look at the full list here. Some of the prices are indeed ludicrously low – there are lot for under two quid in there, and the Cthulhu Saves The World/Breath of Death pack even comes in at just 66p.

There’s also something I’ve not heard of before called “Trains Versus Zombies 2.” That sounds like the best thing ever, until I remember what happened with Snakes On A Plane.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. randomgamer342 says:

I find it funny how Gotham City Impostors is on a sale, even though it’s free.

It’s a free to play game on a -0% sale(and steam even says that by itself)

• Dominic White says:

All the paid stuff for the game is on sale, though. They just need to find a new way of representing this, because otherwise it just results in that kind of silliness.

DC Universe Online is half price at the moment, too. Good, cheap lightweight fun if you have a buddy and a gamepad.

• Baines says:

Barely any of Gotham City Imposter’s paid stuff is on sale. Only the seven costume packs are on sale (75% off). The other 32 DLC items are full price.

DC Universe, on the other hand, has all five of its DLC items at 50% off.

• The Random One says:

It’s probably a sale on the in-game purchases.

Not that I’d care, since it’s impossible for me to find a game in it and they didn’t deign to put a server browser in.

2. doeke says:

It’s not actually comic sans, btw.

corbain says:

Just picked up Bioshock to replace a boxed copy

4. Inglourious Badger says:

You forgot SPAZ. Great game, awful title. Well worth £1.74.

• Vinraith says:

Personally I thought it was an arcadey, repetitive waste of potential. I’d definitely recommend that anyone interested try the demo first, there’s not much more than that to it.

• Squidlyz says:

I agree with the Vinraith. I thought they really could have done a lot more with what they had, and personally I am of the opinion that the title is fantastic. SPACE PIRATES AND ZOMBIES! It all seemed so attractive until I got bored ever so quickly. Tis a game that I wanted to love, but I was only in love with the idea of it.

• Subatomic says:

The demo is unfortunately not very indacative of the whole game because it’s rather short and low level stuff, and because they added a ton of new content through patches that isn’t in the demo.

• Baines says:

It was an entertaining ride for the first play-through, though the last chapter of the game was a complete drag.

When I beat it, I found it had pretty much no replay value. The random universe generation really meant nothing, because you did the exact same stuff in effectively the same places. You could specialize in the other set of weapons and defenses, but you were still doing the same stuff in the same places to the same enemies, except now with slightly different weapons.

The game just didn’t change enough between playthroughs, and it was paced so that you’d run out of interesting stuff before you finished your first run. (The final chapter being particularly monotonous.)

Fun, and worth the price, particularly on sale, but also certainly a flawed game.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I got it in an bundle a while back, and I’m finding this. Just hit the actual zombies, and I’m really just plowing through everything ASAP now because I’m getting bored of the hold-both-mouse-buttons-and-circlestrafe combat that comprises 95% of the gameplay.

The tactial layer just isn’t, because the only time I really want to make my wingmen do anything clever, like go over there and pick up that thing, they won’t anyway.

• benkc says:

This. The friendly ship AI is so annoying. They won’t go where I tell them to, they won’t pick up items most of the time, so I’m constantly switching ships to get the right one to pick up resources. Meanwhile, the AI driver is hugging any ship that’s about to explode, getting itself killed in the process. Meanwhile, your allies will jump in front of your shots and then get pissed at you for having shot them.

I like the concept of the game, but the gameplay is more frustrating than fun, even before the monotony sets in.

• KDR_11k says:

Agreed, the game is effing boring. Too little depth, too much filler and the zombies are just not fun to fight (especially because the ally AI isn’t smart enough to avoid getting boarded all the time). Starfarer has a MUCH better combat system despite starting from a roughly similar design.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’ve got a friend who has, so far, put over 200 hours into SPAZ. I can’t fucking understand how he manages to get so much playtime out of that game and still think it’s as fun as it was on day one.

I lost interest after two hours.

wyrmsine says:

Seconded – I really enjoyed this, though I’ve yet to finish it. It’s mod-friendly, so I keep meaning to make myself a beefier mid-size ship before moving on to the endgame. Vinraith isn’t wrong, in that it’s very arcadey, but that’s not a bad thing at all. Well worth the price.

• KDR_11k says:

Arcadey is fine but I wouldn’t call SPAZ that. The ships move just slow enough that dodging shots is very unlikely and it’s mostly a matter of bringing the bigger (and higher level) gun to the fight.

5. JoeGuy says:

I have free Humble Indie Bundle URL codes for the one that came with Limbo, Amnesia: TDD, Superbrothers and Psyconauts that would be good to download for Halloween. Limbo and Amnesia especially. Can people tell me the best way to give them to people so they aren’t all swiped in one go?

Lambchops says:

Adam covered the first Trains Vs Zombies, it sounded pretty funny.

7. Cerebulon says:

“zombies are about as scary as a cat dressed up as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart these days.”
    I agree.

8. Cytrom says:

There’s only like 2 games there i want / dont already have, but i wouldn’t have the time to play them now anyways. I guess I’ll hold out till the christmas sale….

9. MortalWombat says:

I blindly bought Anna because it sounds awesome. Not so blindly bought L4D and Stalker because I’m the only one who hasn’t played ‘em yet.

• phelix says:

I can heartily recommend playing STALKER with mods, but be mindful. Some would argue the easiest pick -the ‘Complete’ modpack series- isn’t in line with the original vision that GSC Game World had in mind.

• MortalWombat says:

I think I’ll take a peek at the vanilla experience first. And then I’ll start complaining in five year old forum posts like I’m a ghost from the past! Still, thanks for the recommendation!

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

I’m still not sure where people are coming from with that. I did two partial playthroughs (maybe about two thirds through the main story) on vanilla over the years, before starting over and finishing it with the Complete mod, and I feel pretty safe in saying that all it does is make STALKER even more STALKER. It’s like someone with bad eyesight finally getting glasses: the world is still the world, gravity still functions like gravity, cookies are still delighftful – just, now, they can actually see it all and interact with it more easily.

• Baines says:

Complete has its positives and negatives. I’ve only played the Complete mod on the first game, so I can’t speak for the others, but:

The un-droppable sleeping back was annoying. I never saw any point to it, as I just played through nights anyway. I believe it counted towards your weight limit, but you could not drop it, sell it, or put it in a chest.

I noticed there was a weight glitch. I don’t know if it was present in the unmodded game, but my weight with an “empty” inventory kept climbing as I played. By the end of the game, even with no armor, weapons, or items I was still showing several kg of encumbrance.

I’m undecided on weapon and armor repair. It is extremely frustrating to lose gear, so I like the repair option. On the other hand, being able to constantly repair your gear means that enemies dropping weapons becomes almost entirely pointless. I think, in the end, I’d have preferred if “special” weapons (like the rapid fire AK) could be more easily found and armor could be looted from corpses. (It seemed weird that I could get everything except armor from a corpse. And the game is already paced so that you can find new armor before your old is scrapped, so it wouldn’t even be a big advantage.)

• Yosharian says:

Misery is far better than the Complete mod as far as I’ve understood it.

CoP becomes quite a stunning game with this mod.

• dbspin says:

Looks like it makes the game harder… Stalker being too easy was never one of its failings. I vote ‘Complete’.

• Yosharian says:

Complete changes the game in ways which don’t fit the original STALKER idea, whereas Misery just enhances the experience. That’s what I’ve heard, anyway.

Having played through and completed Misery I can confirm that it’s fairly hard, and that that’s one of the things I liked about it.

• seamoss says:

Not trying to make you feel bad, but you could have saved yourself a buck and also gotten a bunch of additional music & games by buying the current Groupees bundle.

• MortalWombat says:

No bad feelings. I’ll probably not be able to play it anyway because I’m too scared… Amnesia playtime: 0h.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I concur. My Amnesia play time is currently around 20 minutes, and I consider it to be among the finest games I own. It is just too much for me. I’m not used to having my adrenal glands squeezed like that.

• fish99 says:

I tried to buy Anna blindly but couldn’t click the buttons.

10. SkittleDiddler says:

More trick than treat. I’m surprised to see Dead Rising in the sale though.

11. trjp says:

As big a fan of sales as I can, halving the price of “Hell Yeah” just 2 weeks after it’s release is probably kicking your customers in the gonads a BIT hard…

I didn’t get it at all – maybe no-one did – but that’s still a big slap for your customers surely?

• I want to stab you to death and play around with your blood. says:

It should only affect those with a reduced resistance to butthurt…

They make a cream for that.

12. pupsikaso says:

What movie is that picture from?

• Unaco says:

Comedy of Terrors, most likely. I’m not sure it’s actually from the movie, but it looks like Price of that era. And Peter Lorre’s wax head.

Edit: That was actually a remake of the “Black Cat” segment of Tales of Terror, so it might be from that instead.

Edit, again: It’s Tales of Terror, just had a look and that’s one of the outfits Price’s character wears.

13. N says:

Yo’, about Bloodlines, is it playable? Patched and cleaned up? I played it back in the day and it was a mess, is this Steam version golden or what?

• jonnycardboard says:

No – the developer went bust before they could patch it up properly. HOWEVER: Fan patches have done an incredible job with this game, resolving al the problems and doing some other things besides.

All you need to do is install the latest version of the unofficial patch from here http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php and you’re away. It’s as simple as installing an official patch was in the old days before Steam, it works perfectly on modern systems, restored content, all the crashes and bugs fixed…

It’s definitely worth playing, excellent game, kinda in the vein of Deus Ex 1.

• N says:

Yeah I actually dig it a bit more than Deus Ex 1 in some respects, mostly regarding the dialogue trees and offbeat character design. I played it twice and never finished around 2005, I was hoping this Steam version had the fan patches included.

I’ll grab it and install the patch, thanks for the link.

L.E. what info can you share on “the clan quest” addon? I see there are actual cutscenes in them, are they using scrapped material from the original game by any chance?

• Yosharian says:

Playable? It’s one of the best games available on the PC… Slap the unofficial patch on it and you’re good to go…

14. fish99 says:

Picked up They Bleed Pixels. Saw ManVsGame playing it the other day and it looked decent, kinda Super Meat Boy with combat.

15. Tacroy says:

Man, this is why I shouldn’t buy games unless I have a clear plan for actually playing them. I bought Dead Rising 2 becos, you know, it’s a fun game and I was probably gonna play it, and $20 isn’t that much.

And then today Dead Rising 2 playtime = 0 hrs, price = $7.49. I might as well have waited.

FunktionJCB says:

The Adventures of Shuggy (now including a recently released free expansion, which added 40 new maps) and They Bleed Pixels (a tough as nails action/platformer) can now be picked up for next to nothing, and are highly recommended.
    Hell Yeah! is also extremely fun, although a bit more expensive, but still worth it.

17. Yosharian says:

Lone Survivor for £3.49 that’s a fuckin good deal right there.

18. AJ_Wings says:

Condemned: Criminal Origins is now available on Steam apparently. If you’re a fan of any kind of horror, just get this gem.

19. inthedarkarcade says:

How is The Club – anyone played it? Not officially in the Halloween Sale, but rather cheap for today. I seem to remember the Video Gaiden boys endorsing it.

RobF says:

It never quite manages to reach where it’s heading for as a score attack arcade FPS *but* at £1.99 or whatever it is, it’s daft not to give it a gander. It hits more than it falls down on, I reckon. It’s just that when it falls down, it does it with absolutely no grace whatsoever.

20. Filden says:

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is half price on Amazon U.S. this week.

21. MondSemmel says:

EDIT: Reply fail. This was supposed to be an answer to FunktionJCB above who mentioned that Adventures of Shuggy recently got an expansion pack with extra levels.

Huh. So I finished the game before this expansion pack was released, and never found out about it. I’m even subscribed to the RSS feed of the dev’s blog on indiedb.com. The extra levels aren’t mentioned on the game’s Steam store page, either.
    I guess we’ll call that a communication error?

(Considering the gazillion of indie game bundles I have purchased, I don’t want to imagine how many changes and updates I have missed because they were never communicated directly to previous buyers…)

FunktionJCB says:

MondSemmel:
      The new expansion pack (Shuggy’s Teleporting Troubles) was released last Friday, and it shows up as a new option in the main menu, separate from the main game. It even has its own leaderboards.

I agree the free expansion could be advertised a bit better, but the developer is mostly just a single guy. He should really set up a mailing list :)
      I found out about it through twitter, where he had been mentioning for a few months that he was working on new maps.
      The pack is also mentioned on the official website, but it’s a bit hidden in there, and was also mentioned on IndieDB (http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-adventures-of-shuggy/news/shuggys-teleporting-troubles-out-now).

So, for those wondering, for the ridiculously low asking price Shuggy is currently selling for, you get:
      -a story mode with over 100 levels;
      -a co-op mode with 36 levels;
      -a free expansion pack with 40 new levels.

There’s a demo available on Steam, for those on the fence.

22. Buemba says:

Anybody knows if They Bleed Pixels is any good?

FunktionJCB says:

Buemba:
      They Bleed Pixels is awesome, but I must warn you that it’s a hard game. And I do mean HARD. :D

If you like a challenge, or don’t mind replaying a few game sections several times until you get it right, you will most likely enjoy it, since the game is rather fun.

The game has a very fun and surprisingly robust one-button combo system, a smart check-point system (you fill-in a checkpoint bar by defeating enemies (the more stylish your playing is, the faster the bar fills), and then you create your own checkpoint when you want to), some charming Lovecraft-inspired pixel visuals, and a rather strange, but very catchy soundtrack (which I also purchased; if you want, you can listen to most of the tracks here: http://djfinishhim.bandcamp.com/album/they-bleed-pixels-on-the-dance-floor; VORACITY, in particular, works wonderfully with the gameplay).
      The game rewards your achievements by allowing you to unlock a number of extras, from artwork to bonus “guest” maps (made by other developers; check out the insanity that is They Bleed Ponycorns!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIWOpD7TAM).
      It’s one of my personal favourites among the games I played this year.

There’s some new Steam achievements for the game mentioning a Halloween map, so new content should be going up any time now.

23. pertusaria says:

I’m seconding FunktionJCB’s recommendation of Shuggy. I’d also pick CaveStory+, which is a lovely… Metroidvania, maybe? Two-dimensional adventures through a visually-appealing system of caves armed with increasingly powerful weapons, collecting treasure and progressing the plot. I don’t know why it’s in the Halloween sale, but it’s a good game.

I don’t think I’ll buy anything from this sale – I already have several of the games, and I’ve been spoiling myself lately between bundles and discounts.

Edit – actually picked up the first STALKER, but it was cheaper from Gamersgate for me.

24. Cryptoshrimp says:

Well, this is the first sale in which not one game appeals to me. Ah well, better for my wallet, I suppose!

25. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Snagged Orcs Must Die 2 (complete). But I think I’ll leave it at that.

26. Hammurabi says:

Amazon is having a 50% off sale for a steam activated Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition.
    Linky

• njursten says:

Link seems to be broken. New one.

Sadly, I can’t get it to work, buying from Sweden. I tried adding an American address. Do I need to remove my old Swedish address? Or does it somehow check the VISA number?

27. jobejoe says:

concerning the train/zombie game, Steam writes:
    “This is a standalone product and does not require the base product Train Simulator 2013 in order to play. You must launch Train Simulator 2013 to play the Trains vs Zombies content.”
    It just contradicts itself and leaves it at that. I want the train game, but not the real non-zombie train game.

Samuel Erikson says:

@jobejoe If you look further down the page, you’ll see the following:
      “Note: Trains Vs Zombies 2 includes the Train Simulator 2013 core technology. To play Trains vs Zombies 2 launch Train Simulator 2013 from your library after purchase.”

Also, this has been answered multiple times in the Steam forum for the game.

28. Cryomundus says:

Man, I never understand how DOOM I/IInever makes onto the Halloween sale. (The originals, not the BFG edition)

29. GoJays2025 says:

Just wanted to say that Fear Complete (1+DLCs, 2+Reborn, 3) is $7.50 at GamersGate (or $6.38 with IGN discount). Only Fear 3 can be activated on Steam.

30. mwoody says:

If you don’t own it, Ghost Master is the best $1.24 you’ll ever spend. It’s a fantastically silly little game where you pick a certain number of ghosts from your collection and try to achieve a list of objectives by scaring the inhabitants of a preset map. It’s a bit adventure-gamey in some of the later levels (i.e. the solutions are convoluted and linear) but not to the point that it overcomes the amusement factor.

The soundtrack is damn fine, too.

(Be careful searching reviews; there was a console game that shared art assets and name but not gameplay, and was horrible.)

31. Mastodon says:

Hey guys,

Is the Walking Dead on sale all the episodes? Or just the latest? Mention of a season pass but no idea where i get that. Any help be great :P Dying to play this .

32. Wut The Melon says:

Origin (is there still a taboo on that?) also has a half-decent sale going on now, though in typical Origin fashion there is an annoying and completely pointless memory-minigame you need to complete every time you want to see the full list of discounted games. If you’re still thinking of buying ME3, it’s fairly cheap currently.

33. Benjamasm says:

Anyone interested in gifting me Left 4 Dead 2, as Australia still has the low violence version, and when ever I try to buy the full version from the UK the payment never goes through… I can pay you back via paypal!

luis.s says:

Yeah sure, I’d be happy to, I’m in NZ.

• Benjamasm says:

Awesome, my Steam name is Benjamasm, add me as a friend and we can organise it :)

34. Xzi says:

Got The Walking Dead for $15. Everything else on sale I either own or have no interest in. Steam did entice me into pre-purchasing Natural Selection 2 while I was at it, though, so I guess these sales really do help to get the customer’s foot in the door.

35. BreadBitten says:

Dat Vincent Price…

36. An Asian Dude says:

Sherlock Holmes The Awakened Remastered Edition = $2.49 (75% off)
    Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of Baskervilles = $2.49 (75% off)
    Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper = $4.99 (75% off)

Out of these three, which one do you think is the best Holmes game? I’d also like one that can ease me into Testament, which according to the internet is the “best” Holmes game yet.

Also, I played STALKER at a friend’s once, he had it installed with the “Complete” mod, and although I loved the shooting bits (which was more “oh shit oh shit” than “bang headshot”, the way survival games should be) and the underground lab moments, I got to one point where difficulty really fluctuates and enemies start killing me in one hit. Though fun was had, I had to stop since I was getting nowhere and was too adamant to change the difficulty to an easier one. That said, would I have fun with Call of Pripyat?

37. DAOWAce says:

Recently got back online after being offline for 14 days due to Hurricane Sandy. Missed all halloween deals across the net, unfortunately.

Anyone know if Valve is allowing compensation for the users affected by the hurricane?