So Mothhead Is A Weird Thing

By Jim Rossignol on October 30th, 2012 at 4:30 pm.

Mothhead – which is currently being used to showcase Unity as a game dev tool – is being described as an “interactive art demo” rather than a game, but it certainly has some mild gamelike ingredients. You have to solve a puzzle from get from one environment to the next, and… well, that’s pretty much all there is to it. It’s apparently some kind of art installation designed to demo both the Unity platform, and the art of “legendary sculptor and concept artist” Peter Konig. Konig is dark and awesome, which means Mothhead a strange little world, populated by weird little creatures, one of which is a kind of glowing corpse with a moth for a head. You begin as moth, and, once connected to the rest if you, the titular Mothhead is what you control as you shamble around the extremely pretty environments.

It’s only a tiny husk of a thing, but it’s a small download might interest some of you.

, .

1. President Weasel says:

Moth… Face?

2. Enzo says:

Man-Moth?

3. Feferuco says:

So do I just walk around with my mecha body? I couldn’t even see what puzzles were there to be solved.

• BrotherCabbage says:

I found a magnet and butted it with my moth-self. It didn’t do anything. Everything else I touched caused me to die, and using the body and pressing “interact” only caused me to detach. Even walking into arbitrary areas with the body just made me die. I’m lost here.

4. Ian says:

I moth say, that’s one funny-lookin’ fellow.

5. Didero says:

If they want to show off Unity, why don’t they show off its capability to run in browsers too, instead of having to download it?

• Trent Hawkins says:

slow servers. easier to let people download it then host it live.

6. Ichi_1 says:

I have had it with this mothafucking thing on my mothafucking head!

7. brau says:

hey Jim, you know if this is using Unity 4.0?

• joeroyo says:

It was created in Unity 3.5, so its not taking advantage of the new DX11 stuff or improvements to shuriken particle systems or well.. all the new stuff in Unity 4 :)

8. Waswat says:

Solving a puzzle?! It has more interactivity than Dear Esther and the makers consider it as an interactive art demo? Amazing.

• Runs With Foxes says:

It’s nice that some people have respect for definitions.

9. linorn says:

That was a cute little distraction. But am I right in thinking it was made by Massive Black Cock?!

• Pembunah says:

Yeah, Massive Black’s logo is a bit… unfortunate.

Anyways just wanted to point out that these are the guys making Zombie Playground (which IS Unity 4) so expect awesome-er, fun-er things to come!

• Isometric says:

I noticed that too. Bit daft.

10. Kein says:

Evolva anyone?

11. pupsikaso says:

I’m glad this is being showcased. It’s been far too long that Unity has been unjustly pigeon-holed as that “game engine that looks crap” simply because it is attractive to teams with low budgets.

12. Araxiel says:

Is it just me, or did we manage to kill Peter K├Ânig’s website with unexpected traffic?

13. Jackablade says:

Ah. I do like me some Peter Konig art.

Nice to see they finally managed to get the Mothhead game out. It’s been in development since at least 2007.

14. DestructibleEnvironments says:

This looks like an interesting world to explore! I have to point out that the article contains some typos. Thanks for posting this!

15. Gerard says:

If you’re lost on what to do, here’s some answers.

Minor SPOILERS follow.

The goal of the first area is to leave. What you do is you go the the tunnel to the left of where your non-moth body is, and fly across to the lever. You interact with the lever and it will raise the water level, causing a bit of bark to rise and create a sort of floating bridge for your non-moth body to use. Then you can push a rock out of the way and go outside.

You will need to free the bug from the jar. To do this, you need to push the honey that is on the table onto the floor (the bee-controlled non-bee body will point it out to you if you try to interact with it). Once the honey is on the floor, the bee-controlled non-bee body will stand by, and if you approach him while in your non-moth body, a ring of bees will come to pick you up. Then all you have to do is push the jar off the table to free the bug. Then the game starts over.