Dead Linger Has A Playable Alpha

By John Walker on October 31st, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Anyone who has pre-ordered zombie sandbox mulitplayer (if you want) survival sim The Dead Linger will now be able to get playing with the alpha. The game, a hugely ambitious project that intends to give you an entire world to survive in, and no artificial walls to restrict you, casts you as a regular human with limited capacity to stay alive.

Want to know what it’s all about? This video should help:

As you can see, the game is definitively in alpha, with lots of animations missing, and things a touch glitchy. But if you want to get in on the ground, and experience some mad bugs along with a procedurally generated, zombie-populated world, you can do that now for $25. Which seems quite a lot at this point – I wonder how popular that will be, especially as it’s flagged as a “discount price” already. However, that does get you the game and all future patches forever and ever, all DRM free. And it’s even available to play offline and via LAN. It’s as if the developers actually like players.

My favourite feature at this point is definitely the way furniture spawns outside of houses. But also, coo, this might finally be the survival sim I’m after – one that doesn’t endlessly pester you with details, and lets you just be. For as long as you live. And those zombies are already quite grim.

It’s a pretty rare thing to see a developer letting a game into the hands of players in this state, and I think it’s a smart one. Certainly some will not quite get it and believe the game to be at fault, rather than a bug-filled version because it’s far from finished. But I think it will also make for an insightful view of the process of a game. I just wish they’d thought about the price a bit more.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. grundus says:

I had been fully prepared to Kickstart this to the tune of about £15 while it was still running, so $25 is a fair price in my opinion (as it’s more or less the same amount). I didn’t Kickstart it at the time because of real life getting in the way… And I can’t afford it now either because of the same thing. Also now that it’s actually playable I want to see what it’s like first but it wouldn’t have to blow me away to motivate me. Weird how that works, I guess.

• KeyboardGato says:

My only problem with this is that there’s already a War Z and Day Z coming along.
      At first I loved these kinds of games, i never experienced a zombie survival game that actually immersed you until Project Zomboid, then Day Z gave me the multiplayer experience, War Z is fun but still has a lot of stuff to be fixed, and the standalone version of Day Z looks great.
      But then there’s gonna be a lot of “me too” developers coming up with games like this. which is more Day Z copycats, with no original ideas. IMO

• pupsikaso says:

You know that War Z was just a scam, right? So that leaves only Day Z that has even a playable prototype available. All the others that are either trying to kickstart, greenlight, or just starting development none of them are off the drawing board even.
        This seems to be the second game of the sandbox zombie survival type that has something playable. And it’s not trying to be a DayZ me-too, either. Read a bit about the game first, it’s not going to be the same, it’s doing it differently.

• Exuro says:

Well it’s not entirely accurate to call WarZ a scam. I agree that they did essentially lift an entire game and transfer it, but they have a lot of new content too. Having played it for the last 2 weeks since the alpha hit, I assure you, it is playable, and is not a scam. It could even be called ‘fun’. That being said, The Dead Linger is not a copycat. It was the first one. If anyone is a copycat, it’s DayZ. Considering that The Dead Linger had their kickstarter and began full development as far back as April, and DayZ didn’t come out until August, I think it’s unreasonable to call the lovely chaps over at Sandswept a ‘me too’ developer.

Oh, and edit: I just saw that you were defending the dead linger too. I agree. I wish people would leave them alone if they aren’t going to atleast make the effort to know what they’re talking about.

• Unaco says:

” If anyone is a copycat, it’s DayZ. Considering that The Dead Linger had their kickstarter and began full development as far back as April, and DayZ didn’t come out until August,”

No. DayZ was released in March or April of this year. Probably around the time that Dead Linger went into ‘Full Development’ if that was in April.

Edit: Released to the public around that time. It was likely being worked on before that, with some closed testing with some of the ArmA community. I also seem to recall Rocket saying he started work on something (the Hive server stuff and persistency), when he started working for Bohemia perhaps, in February of 2012.

• Exuro says:

It may well have been earlier than August, but it definitely wasn’t as early as April. It was atleast a month after the Dead Linger kickstarter began. Regardless, as someone else stated, the Dead Linger website and development team have been around since atleast mid-2011.

Edit: I’m not actually saying DayZ is a copycat, by the way. I really love DayZ, and will definitely be getting the standalone. I’m just saying that it’s completely impossible for The Dead Linger to be a copycat, they came up with the idea entirely of their own accord.

• Unaco says:

No. DayZ was definitely, undeniably, without a shadow of a doubt, available to the public in April of this year (2012). My @DayZ folder was created mid April of this year… and I think I deleted my original. So probably around the start of April when I got my hands on it.

As proof, here is the 1st part of CH Kilroy’s initial DayZ video series, “The DayZ Ahead”, uploaded 10th April. If I remember right, the session this was taken from was a week or two previously. But this was the video that got a lot of the initial interest in the mod going, and came out shortly after the public release.

• Exuro says:

Okay, I’ll give you that. But my point is that the Dead Linger did not rip them off. It’s impossible. I don’t see why it’s all that difficult to believe that someone else came up with a similar idea. As proof, here’s the first blog post from their website:

Dated September 2011. I’m not saying either of them ripped off anyone. I’m just saying that the Dead Linger are not copycats.

• Unaco says:

Totally man… I’m not commenting on who is copying who or if there is any copying going on. I just saw the August mention in your post and thought “Nah… I’m sure I was playing DayZ before Summer”.

• Unaco says:

I’ve seen that being said several times… How is WarZ a ‘scam’? A quick cash in, sure. Cynical reuse of War Inc and its assets (by the owner of them, rather than them having been stolen) to make a DayZ-like game, after its enormous success, yeah. A rush to commercialise what DayZ showed could be popular, definitely. It’s shoddy, they’ve taken a bunch of shortcuts, they’ve rushed it out, they probably shouldn’t have gone to a paid Alpha so quickly.

But I don’t see how it’s a scam. The game does exist… it is legitimate, in that sense. It might not be very good, and you might consider the devs/publishers as somewhat ‘cheap’ for cashing in on others success, riding the DayZ wave. But I still haven’t seen evidence that it is actually a scam, a hit&run or whatever.

• pupsikaso says:

When a developer outright LIES that they have been making this game long before Day Z ever came out and then quickly starts scrapping up a “game” by hacking in new and reused assets into their own existing game that has nothing in common months AFTER Day Z came out, it’s a scam.

• Exuro says:

Nah, I still think scam is the wrong word. Dishonest, definitely. Though I believe what they now they say they meant was that they had started discussing the idea last year, but only started working on it this year. But certainly, they’re on shaky ground. But at the same time, the quality of the game they’ve released is not half bad. I’ve certainly had a lot of fun on it. It was a nice change of pace from DayZ in quite a few ways. I agree that what they’ve done is pretty bad from a lot of standpoints, but the end product is certainly enjoyable if nothing else.

• Unaco says:

I think we just differ on our definitions of scam. To me, a scam isn’t just a shonky product, buggy and poorly developed. A scam, for me, would be a genuinely dishonest attempt to take money without delivering a product. As Exuro says.

• fenrif says:

You know that Day Z was just a scam, right? “Hey try my incredibly buggy alpha, you have to buy ARMA 2 for it though. Coincidentally I work for the ARMA 2 devs. BTW breaking rules that are only posted on the forums like shooting people when the game bugs out and you spawn in a debug forest will get you banned from all ARMA 2 multiplayer. Better buy another copy!”

What I just said is about as believable as The War Z being a scam. Or I guess Quake is just a scam, because Doom was first.

• ZoddGuts says:

Well that’s dumb thing to say. DayZ is a free mod for people who own Arma 2.

• The13thRonin says:

I’m not sure whether I should throw my hat made of money into the ring…

When is the ‘real’ release going to be? The actual release, not just the alpha release. Are we talking years away here? Months? Weeks?

2. MrLebanon says:

i dont like running zombies

• Ross Angus says:

They have no feelings for you at all, but don’t take it personally.

• Sidion says:

I don’t like paying to test a game for a developer.

Andy_Panthro says:

Agreed, I’d rather have hordes of slow zombies. (as in Project Zomboid)

• x1501 says:

Still too fast for me. I’d rather fight against cardboard cutouts.

• crinkles esq. says:

The whole deal with running zombies comes down to filmmakers, game developers, and frankly younger generations, who don’t really understand cinematic tension. There’s a time for high-octane, but it’s not zombies. By the way, has anyone noticed that the zombies in Walking Dead are shuffling a lot faster than they used to?

But more on-topic, this game has a lonnng way to go. I wouldn’t even call it Alpha level. It’s more of a tech demo. I also think they only should’ve shown the game at night, because it kind of hides how barren the world is, and there is a bit more tension there. I think they really need NZNPC’s (Non-Zombie Non-Player Characters) — characters that may help you, hurt you, or be entirely uninterested in your existence. Otherwise it’s a fairly depressing world to explore.

3. pupsikaso says:

What’s wrong with the price? People regularly shell out 50 to 60 bucks on shallow AAA games that last 10 hours or less, but a game that promises such ambition and so much as this is not worth 25 for a pre-order?

• ocelotwildly says:

Goes to show the power of marketing I guess – Tell people for long enough before hand that something like this is worth $30 then people will start to believe it.

This seems a little steep for me, but then it’s the same price as the Prison Architect alpha that I jumped on, only because I’d been following news about its release for ages and getting desperate to play it for myself. I guess that came down to marketing too, only in that case it was self inflicted!

• pupsikaso says:

I think you’re confusing marketing a bit. What you’ve done (had interest, found info on the game) is perfectly normal natural human behaviour.
        Marketing, on the other hand, will try to persuade and brainwash you into wanting things you never wanted in the first place.

• x1501 says:

Yes, nothing says ‘ambitious’ like another run-of-the-mill zombie survival game. Also, judging from the alpha video, $10-15 would already be too much.

• ocelotwildly says:

I don’t think you can really judge the appropriate value by looking at the alpha video as it currently stands – You’re paying for future potential and valuing it against your expectations. There are arguments as to whether the pricing strategy is correct, but to look at the video and say the shouldn’t even be able to charge $10 – $15 seems to miss the point of this whole ‘buying into an alpha’ thing.

• hemmingjay says:

You are correct but your breath is most likely wasted explaining it to this individual. Anyone so quick to dismiss is unlikely to possess the maturity or reason to change their opinion(publicly).

• Shuck says:

I don’t think they’re doing themselves any favors by releasing an alpha that’s this rough, though. The reality is that there are a bunch of similar zombie survival games out or coming out at this point. What they have here doesn’t indicate what the game will look or play like in any respect, much less how it differs from any of the other games. I couldn’t imagine showing off a project that was this incomplete – they have very little there, and what’s there is incomplete and buggy – I could only see it hurting perceptions of the game.

• hemmingjay says:

I’m not convinced that you know what an alpha is. The dev’s clearly state that this is a true alpha and the first iteration.

• MrLebanon says:

it may be a true alpha, but business wise they would have been best holding off until they had something with a “wow” factor. With the beating-zombie-with-random-objects genre quickly hitting saturation, not many are going to drop money on something that looks no different than the others (and less developed)

Sure it has potential, but so does my left big toe. Until I can manage to use my left big toe to do heavy weight lifting though, I’m not going to sell anything

lumpeh says:

The trouble for the devs is that they promised a first release in october on their Kickstarter. Guess they didnt want to let anyone down on that part.

• Shuck says:

@hemmingjay: It’s not about whether it’s an alpha (which it is, of course), it’s about whether they should have released it (which I don’t think they should have). It’s a much, much earlier alpha than what players are normally used to seeing; people are going to evaluate it based on that. Except that there’s really nothing to evaluate – it conveys no information about what the game will be like. Hopefully, that is, since we can’t even say that with certainty. If they made promises about having a release this month, all it does is show how behind they are. I can understand wanting to show what they’ve done – to keep the backers informed and just there’s a thrill that the first alpha inspires when you’re making a game. But they’re also trying to raise more money (they must have burned through their Kickstarter funds already), and this isn’t going to help them do that.

• pupsikaso says:

“Yes, nothing says ‘ambitious’ like another run-of-the-mill zombie survival game”

Oh yeah, because there are SOOO many run-of-the-mill zombie survival sandbox multiplayer games out there that we are so sick of them by now…. oh wait, there’s not a single one finished and out yet.

• MrLebanon says:

Continuing my left big toe analogy from above… look at it this way

DayZ was the first to market its left big toe, it look promising, people bought in.

Now we have 4-5 people with left big toes in the market, none of which are full weight lifting champs yet. Each further person exclaiming their left toe is going to be able to lift weights has a smaller and smaller chance of capturing an audience until his left big toe can do something cool.

People have already spent their money on the 1st bunch of left big toes, and now they’re feeling more stingy about spending more money on weight lifting left big toes as they’ve invested in a few that are training.

Marginal satisfaction for each additional zombie game alpha/beta decreases the more zombie game alpha/betas a person has. This one being a little late to the party isn’t going to capture a whole lot of attention until something makes it stand out (e.g. increases the consumer satisfaction or perceived satisfaction).

My best wishes to the devs though! Will be interested to see if it develops into something like a weight lifting pinky toe

• Xerian says:

I definitely agree with your point. (Although, The Dead Linger was lingering about before Day Z, their kickstarter had started, and if I recall correctly, also finished before Day Z saw the light of day.)

• MiloticMaster says:

May I saw your analogy is amazing?
            But I agree with your point. From my view (I havent played any of them, but definitely heard a lot of them). DayZ is the ‘star’ right now. Indie hit, you may say. Probably everyone interested in this genre, zombies in general or just saw it on Youtube has their eyes on the standalone.
            WarZ- Previously War Inc is the ‘scam’. We already argued about how legitimate the game is; but its still a game that exists and coming out eventually. But most people will stick with DayZ- I mean why not? Its the ‘star’ of this genre at the moment.
            Everything else is mostly irrevelant (well ignoring Project Zomboid and some others); and in a case, so is this. I agree with your analogy that the game isnt that amazing so far in its alpha state- and its not showing anything that will beat DayZ’s popularity. Its nothing to make me look away from DayZ.

• Dana says:

By run of the mill you mean there is only DayZ ?

4. ocelotwildly says:

It took me longer than I’d care to admit to work out what a ‘Linger’ was, and why the poor chap had died.

My own stupidity aside, this does look quite promising, although I can’t help but wonder if we’re reaching zombie apocalypse survival game saturation point. I already have Project Zomboid, which I like the look of but don’t want to burn out on before it gets out of beta. I haven’t yet had a chance to try Day Z due to creaking equipment, but having read so much about it I feel it’s going to have to be an early purchase when I finally get a new PC. I think I could probably recall (if not name) at least 2 other zombie survival sims that i’ve seen updates for on RPS of late. I think as a genre this kind of survival game could go in a lot of different directions and it’s slightly disheartening to see zombies being dug up time and again. I guess it’s a trade off between the instant familiarity of lore that zombies allow for, whilst sacrificing some original ideas that might not capture the public interest.

I couldn’t tell from the video quite what this game was offering that made it stand out, but that might just be an ‘Alpha’ thing. I’d be interested to know whether their setting out from this Alpha with a specific vision for features they want to add or just rely on community input. For instance, are there going to be any kind of perpetual world building features like PZ, because the idea of a multiplayer ‘zombie barricade simulator’ would probably tempt some money from my groaning wallet.

• derbefrier says:

I would reccomend checking the website out. This is probably the most ambitious zombie game out there right now, including Day Z. I know that doesn’t translate well into the alpha vid but understand this is the first alpa vid ever. It’s not like the alpha has been in closed status for months like most games alpha testing started today this is the first “playable” build we have seen. The devs are very open and really let you in on the development process which is why we are seeing these early builds most people wouldnt dare show to the general public. There is no NDA either so expect lots of vids to pop up and though you can’t see it yet and one of the things that sold me is graphics wise they are going fo a STALKER type of atmosphere.

5. derbefrier says:

I really think if these guys are able to pull of what they want with this game it will be THE zombie survival sandbox . I chose to wait a bit longer before jumping into the alpha.since I am not much of a tester but I have high hopes for this one. Can’t wait to see were thos game is a few months from now.

• Rincewind says:

I think holding off is a good idea. I installed it last night, and when I started up a game, I got to watch zombies floating into position across the map, houses popping in slowly, and a bunch of other amusing graphical issues. I tried to actually open a door into a house but I couldn’t figure out how to do it, or else the buttons just weren’t working. So I just ran around in circles for a minute as a few zombies wandered over to me and sort of knocked away, not really doing anything except making my screen go all blurry.

Still, for Alpha 1.0.0., the fact that it didn’t crash completely on me and I got to see some actual zombie tracking behavior, well, that’s a big plus in my belief that they can turn out a product.

• Alaric_X13 says:

You have to click mouse 3 & pull the mouse to open the door,
        The same function to close the door.

6. jonfitt says:

Zombies want hugs.

I think there’s a disconnect in people’s minds between end product and alpha. Very few people get to see AAA titles at this stage of development so we have no frame of reference to judge what it could potentially turn into.

Is it 20% done, 10% done? We cannot tell, and therefore we don’t know if the end product will look like this with better animations, or completely different.

• Shuck says:

Yeah, not knowing how far along in development it actually is is a problem, but as you say, players never see games this early in development, so knowing how finished it is wouldn’t probably mean anything to them. Releasing at this early a stage doesn’t actually serve any purpose except letting backers know that they are, in fact, working on the game. Which, in the balance, doesn’t seem like a good enough reason to release it. Developers, trying to be more open with their backers, are probably going to have to learn some lessons about being less forthcoming with playable builds.

7. Kid_A says:

So it’s DayZ from Chinese devs?

• lordcooper says:

Skyrim is Final Fantasy from American devs.

• JayExbl says:

Indeed, I don’t understand how they’re planning on being any different from DayZ or War Z. Its like, “please follow our game, cos its going to eventually be almost as good as DayZ”. I understand that the graphics might end up different, and they have a “full planet”, but really the game boils down to a carbon copy of DayZ in my eyes. Doesn’t seem to bother any of the people on youtube, sounds like its a popular concept!

Personally, I need a very solid “here’s the big difference between our game and theirs”, which I’ve not seen yet.

• Exuro says:

Well first of all, I think it’s important to mention that development began on this before DayZ was out. So in that respect, it is ‘the original zombie survival game’. But I think what you need to realise is what their ambition for the game is. It is of course possible that alpha’s like this never get completed, but I personally have a great deal of faith in these guys. They’re very dedicated.

Essentially the plan for it is to have a ‘go anywhere, do anything’ kind of feel. That means free form construction, randomly generated major cities, small towns, and everything in between. It means plenty of vehicles, the ability to construct safehouses both in the middle of the forest, and at the top of a skyscraper. If they live up to their promises, I guarantee you it offers far more than the likes of DayZ. I do however understand how this doesn’t come through in the alpha, as it exists right now. But they’ve only been in full development for about 7 months, and these things take time. As someone who’s been following their development since the beginning, all the while getting my fix from DayZ and WarZ, I definitely have high hopes for this.

Anyway, TL;DR, I like to think of it as a minecraft situation. Right now, there’s very little to keep you entertained. But it’ll get there. The developers are far more dedicated and reliable than Mojang, and are promising a content update every two weeks with hotfixes in between. Watch this space.

• Baardago says:

I wouldn’t call it ‘the original zombie survival game’, though.

Wouldn’t call DayZ the same, either.

• Exuro says:

By that, I just mean that no game has ever properly attempted the ‘entirely open ended free roam zombie survival’ thing before. At least not properly. It’s something lots of gamers have dreamt about, but never seen. The Dead Linger was the first to attempt bringing this idea to life.

• Swert says:

I love not doing any research on a topic and then spamming my ignorant, but 100% factual opinion on a video game news site. Ok, lets see where should I start. This is in no way shape or form anything near what Day Z or the War Z is. They are all zombie games, but that’s where the similarities end.

Besides the fact that The Dead Linger has been in development for way longer than any of them. So this isn’t some cheap cash in. The game is mostly a co-op focused game, but they will have the same pvp as those other two games if you set your server up that way. They have a system that procedurally generates everything includng buildings, and you can enter every building in the game.

You will eventually see a free form barricading system using a hammer and nails, you can move objects to block doors, they want to make it so you’ll be able to build walls, destroy walls and staircases.

The reason the game looks the way it does is that everything is being built from the ground up. So they had to make everything that you see here, it wasn’t some preexisting engine that they just slapped zombies into, I like Day Z by the way, but they had to work on the under the hood stuff so to speak. The Graphics and niceties will be added later.
      They are aiming for a STALKER style of graphics, but they said with their engine they could get all the way up to a Crysis level. If you don’t believe me check out their weapon models.

Check out their forums, they have tons and tons of posts about what they are adding to the game.

• Exuro says:

Where did you get Chinese from?

• Kid_A says:

Nobody got the gorram joke is where I got it from. And I accidentally spawned a serious comment thread too.

8. Baardago says:

Hm. Maybe I’m missing quite a bit, here, ’cause I can’t watch the alpha trailer – youtube’s blocked in my workplace.

However, from what I’m reading here and seeing on the website, this seems like yet another zombie survival game, which makes me disinclined to spend money on it, when I already have DayZ and Project Zomboid, for example. Oh, and don’t forget Dead State, currently in development.

What’s special about this game? Or is it like Kid_A said, DayZ from chinese devs?

I also don’t like how, in a part of their website, they arrogantly state “The zombie genre has died. We’re bringing it back from the dead.”. Guess they missed the part where some games (or mods, I guess), like DayZ, already started doing that before them.

• Swert says:

You are actually missing quite a bit, but not completely from the video. The Dead Linger has been in development since way before DayZ even came out. I singed up for their website on September 24th, 2011, just to give you a sense of time the Day Z mod came out on August 6th, 2012.

The forums are actively patrolled by the developers, who take the time to read every thread posted on there. They also talk to the community and ask for ideas and opinions on game features, and like to have giant discussions about peoples ideas and suggestions.

The reason the video might seem underwhelming is that like its been said before, this is the first playable build released and it is in alpha. Most of the development time has been spent on making the procedurally generated content. Such as the landscape and the buildings, all of which are generated on the fly.

So you can enter every building in the game and most buildings won’t even look similar. It has an Amnesia style door system, as its come to be called, and a grid based inventory system similar to Deus Ex. If you go to the forums, you will see the immensely huge plans the developers have for this game.

• Baardago says:

Whether it’s been in development since before DayZ or not is not all that relevant to me, honestly. No offense meant. I still started playing DayZ way before ever hearing about this Dead Linger. Also doesn’t mean that DayZ’s Rocket took a peek at the Dead Linger forums was actively copying it, or vice-versa.

Also, it’s not the first time I see devs actively patrolling the forums and talking with their fan/playerbase. That’s not exactly a guarantee that the game will be great, just boosts it’s chances. I’ve seen games that had devs like that and were a huge success, and some that failed. It’s always a good thing, though.

Enterable buildings aren’t that big a ‘thing’ in my eyes, really, since almost every building in the standalone Day Z will be enterable, and there are, currently, many other maps for the mod (like Lingor, Fallujah and Panthera, I believe) that have dozens of enterable buildings – I practically don’t play in Chernarus any longer.

The Amnesia-style door/drawer/whatever system is pretty neat, though, yeah. The same goes for procedural generation.

I’m not exactly convinced, really. I’ll follow your suggestion and peek around the forums when I get home to see if there’s anything that separates this one from DayZ and the who-knows-how-many other zombie survival games out there. Otherwise, I’m saving my $25 for something else.

• Exuro says:

I’ve been following the development of this game since the very beginning. Personally, I really love DayZ. I’ve played it religiously. I’ve played a lot of WarZ, also. I spent a long time playing Project Zomboid. I’m quite into this whole concept.

Anyway, I’ve played the Alpha of the Dead Linger, and I completely agree. Right now, nothing separates it from the others. It has very little in the way of entertainment. But I have always believed, and continue to believe, that the direction that the developers intend to take it varies wildly from it’s peers, and so I maintain faith that this game will be the masterclass of its genre, should it come to fruition.

I think the reason it’s important that it’s been in development longer than things like DayZ, is because in your previous comment you accused them of being arrogant despite their competition. In this sense, it is important, because they were doing this idea first. They weren’t being arrogant, simply stating they were trying something new, that lots of people wanted to see. It isn’t their fault that DayZ then came out (a game that wasn’t made entirely from scratch, and therefore took far less effort) and made it look like they were the imitators. The developers of the Dead Linger are really some of the nicest people ever, and accusing of them of arrogance I think is just a little unwarranted.

• Baardago says:

Oh, the only reason I accused them of arrogance is that, ignoring DayZ, the zombie survival genre still wasn’t dead, and didn’t warrant any ‘bringing back to life’. Unless I’m mistaken, we already had other really good zombie survival games games, like Project Zomboid, when they started Dead Linger. I stated DayZ as an example. Point was that there likely were other really good zombie survival games back when they started development, already (not sure when DL started development, but, if I remember correctly, PZ’s pre-alpha builds started coming out on early 2011).

I’ll keep track of this game, for sure. Just don’t feel tempted to fork out the cash for it, at the moment (as you said,it’s an Alpha that currently doesn’t offer anything that separates it from others). Ambitions are great, but I’ll spend my money on it once they start showing something that really sets this game apart.

On another note: I hate zombie animals. >_>

• Exuro says:

Yeah, I’m not sure about zombie animals myself, but they are making them entirely optional. My point is that a lot of people would say that the genre did warrant bringing back to life. There are a metric fuckton of zombie games out there, but only a handful of them are actually any good. That goes tenfold for zombie survival games. I’ll give you project zomboid, but top view isometric isn’t necessarily for everyone. As far as immersive, co-op and fully dynamic zombie survival goes, it’s a genre that barely existed before this year, and the dead linger was certainly the first to attempt it properly.

• Swert says:

Yeah I was just hitting on the big issues that most of the commentors seem so focused on. You won’t really be able to do anything other than trust the devs if you buy the game, which is what I have done, since they are going to be updating the alpha every 2 weeks with a big patch you wont really get to see “anything” until further down the line.

This game is more along the lines of a co-op zombie survival game than a full on PVP that Day Z is. Although if you prefer you can play on a Hardcore server , and select servers to be full pvp like same as with Day Z. Please don’t just brush it off as another zombie game though. They have so much planned from crafting systems to cars to having zombie animals if you check a gameplay option. Even modding support when the game is actually out.

darkChozo says:

According to Wikipedia, August 6/7 is when the standalone version of DayZ was announced, not when the actual mod came out. The mod had been out for 3-4 months (April-ish) at that point, and the DayZ hype was for the mod, not the standalone. Not saying that this was a cash-in, but if you’re gonna be calling out people on getting things wrong you should probably get your own facts straight first :P

9. GallonOfAlan says:

Kinda lingers me old mate.

10. Exuro says:

What really bothers me is all the people giving this game a hard time. They haven’t tried to cash in on the success of DayZ. It’s chronologically impossible that they’re doing this. Neither are they offering the same experience as DayZ. If anyone has actually visited their community or read their twitter, they’ll know that the experience they aim to bring is definitely it’s own thing, and definitely innovative.

My point is not that everyone should go read their community, but that if you’re interested, do. Conversely, if you lack the inclination, just cut them some slack. If you’re not interested in their product, don’t buy it. But it is certainly unique, it is certainly not a copy, and the team behind it are very dedicated. There are plenty of people who see how unique this is, despite its current appearance, and I don’t see what constant negativity achieves.

Edit: It’s also okay to not like it. But only if you don’t like it because you don’t like it. Not liking it because of a bunch of misinformed arguments about it being a copycat or not distinguishing itself in any obvious way immediately after 6 months of development from complete scratch is just silly.

darkChozo says:

The discussion reminds me a bit of when Terraria was announced and everyone was convinced it was just a bland Minecraft clone. Personally, if this is less DayZ and more 3D Project Zomboid I might be interested. The video looks a bit too feature light for me to be interested ATM, but might be worth a look later.

• Exuro says:

I completely agree, it is a bit feature light. I paid for it for the same reason lots of people backed it on kickstarter; I’m putting my faith in the developers and helping to fund them. I don’t expect anyone to do that if they don’t feel they’re getting their moneys worth. All I expect is for people not to lose their shit over it.

11. Feferuco says:

I remember playing Half Life 2 driving on a hillside road when I hear an alien ship in the distance. I stop and hide inside a house. It was a really cool moment. I love zombies, but man, haven’t we had enough? Is it because they’re easy to program AIs? Is it because nobody ever gets tired of zombie gameplay? What is it?

• Exuro says:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but for me it’s because when done correctly, they offer a solid horror survival experience. It’s because they’re nothing but instinct and teeth, which as a concept works really well. The idea of something that doesn’t pose much of a threat alone, but make too much noise and they’ll be on you in greater and greater numbers, too many to handle. It just speaks to me. It doesn’t necessarily have to be zombies, but zombies work well because they simultaneously offer an explanation for the collapse of society and the main antagonists. It’s a singular concept that provides the survival experience many people are looking for. Also, I absolutely love post-apocalyptic fiction, and I enjoy zombies as much as I enjoy post-nuclear war.

I think the main reason lots of people aren’t sick of it yet though, is that there aren’t actually a whole lot of good zombie games, so when a decent one appears, people are all over it. There are certainly very few pure survival games. It’s something that is yet to be perfected. But if any game does perfect it (and I have faith that The Dead Linger might) it’ll be a whole lot of fun.

12. syndicatedragon says:

I dunno why everyone’s so fixated on “who copied who”. Who cares? If it’s a good game, then I’ll play it. If not, I won’t. Since this offers something that DayZ etc do not offer i.e. an offline mode, it is interesting to me.

I’m not paying $25 for alpha though, I can tell you that much. That’s just nutty. If/when they have a proper release and if the game is good, I’ll pay whatever it costs then.

• Shooop says:

I’m sorry, but you have made far too much sense. The angry mob will be at your place of residence shortly.

13. MichaelPalin says:

Fucking zombies, seriously!

I’m interesting in everything on this game except for the zombies (basically, because it sounds like STALKER with friends, with LAN and DRM Free). It’s like zombies is the entry requirement for all interesting ideas these days. Just.do.something.else!

• derbefrier says:

heh i was thinking about this earlier. I thought a “Red Dawn” type of setting for a survival sandbox could be fun. You could play the part of a rebel fighting against an invading military force attacking convoys and strategic points and so forth with dynamically changing front lines determined by player activity and so on. I would buy that.

14. TariqOne says:

Is this going to be another promising survival sim where I log in and immediately get beat to shit by a kid with a starter hammer?

Yes, zombie fiction turns in large part on the whole HUMANS ARE THE REAL ANIMALS theme, but its central pivot is always on the PLUCKY HEROES DO WHAT IT TAKES TO SURVIVE theme. Where the recent raft of these (DayZ, WarZ) miss the mark is that in none of them has there really been a proper disincentive to acting like a total douchebag. Or, put another way, there’s actually no incentive to acting like a proper human. Without proper incentive to cooperate, I’m sorry, the rampant zero-consequence PvP is immersion-breaking.

It’s too bad developers seem to have felt a need to cater to the so-called hardcore element with this stuff, caving to specious arguments that any disincentive to rank griefing is tantamount to gamebreaking shackles on player freedom. Realism really means that there are awful consequences to breaking the social and human order, and when you die, you don’t respawn anonymously on a beach on the server of your choice to grief all over again.

Like someone said above, I’d like to see a game with human NPCs who may or may not be trustworthy, with a strong incentive to eschew mindless PvP and actually cooperate. I agree that there’s something compelling about a world where everything is a potential threat, but there’s nothing at all compelling about a world where the only rational response to seeing another player is to shoot them in their fat face on sight. Despite what the loudest elements of certain playerbases would tell you, that actually isn’t the way the world works. Humans are by their nature social creatures and survival in this poisonous, murderous world has always hinged on cooperation and mutual assistance. Constantly defecting is not a way to win life’s game of prisoner’s dilemma long term.

EDIT: This legitimately started out as a question before it descended into a rant. I’m honestly curious as to whether there’s a stronger cooperative element knit into this than into the other recent entries. Definitely didn’t mean to sound as though I’m passing judgment on this title.

• Exuro says:

Yeah, I agree that this is a good question. They have designed The Dead Linger specifically to be a co-op experience, rather than a PvP one, with the option to have PvP if you wish. They’re going to be adding different gamemodes and such, but I’m not sure what their specific plans are to discourage random deathmatching. All I can say with certainty is that the worlds will be big enough that you don’t have to accidentally come across other players if you don’t wish to.

15. Mr. Magoolachub says:

Why is everyone using the kickstarter date as when TDL started ‘existing’? This project was announced and started development on as early as September 14, 2011. I think it’s fairly safe to say it’s not trying to cash in on DayZ.

You know that and the numerous differences between the projects.