Larry’s Mod: Divinity II – Developer’s Cut

By Nathan Grayson on October 31st, 2012 at 8:00 am.

The troll has quite an impressively sized belly, yet he does not appear jolly in the slightest. Poor troll.

Here’s a neat and fairly unexpected thing. While I wouldn’t call Divinity II: Ego Draconis my favorite fantasy RPG ever (the writing was witty, but the rest of the game was super uneven), Larian’s supported it quite well over time, and a new Developer’s Cut edition sounds like the cherry atop that dragon-flavored sundae. Most enticingly, it includes a very user-friendly Developer Mode that gives you access to a dev console capable of spawning hundreds of enemies, turning you into any character or monster model in the game, letting you be a dragon anywhere, etc. Oh, and if you already own a previous edition of Divinity II, it’s totally free.

In addition to Dev Mode, the Developer’s Cut also includes all content from The Dragon Knight Saga, design documents, concept art, and a smattering of behind-the-scenes videos. So even if you’re not a super-fan, this is still a nice opportunity to peer behind the curtain in a medium that’s often obsessed with caking even the most wart-covered duds in gobs of makeup.

That in mind, this is definitely something I’d love to see more developers do. Dev commentaries from studios like Valve have always been hyper fascinating, but I think this kind of audience education can also serve a practical purpose. There’s a prevailing mentality in the industry that most people don’t really get game development – and I don’t think it’s necessarily incorrect. But instead of trying to bring people up to speed, bigger companies feverishly sweep flaws under the rug and pretend nothing ever, ever, ever, ever, ever goes wrong. The end result: trust breaks down, and so do games. Really, it’s the strangest thing; we live in an era with the tools to communicate more frequently and openly than ever. Why are we so afraid to use them?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Red_Avatar says:

I loved this game – the music is amazing, the artwork is brilliant, the whole atmosphere was very well done and the way you could explore and uncover secrets was addictive. The combat has a tad too many MMO influences but even then, it remained a great deal of fun.

2. scorcher24 says:

The first game since a long time where I insist on a retail copy. Contains the drm free games, artwork, posters and steam keys. For 30€. Me want.

3. Caiman says:

I also loved this, although I missed the somewhat bug-ridden Ego Draconis and got in instead with the remastered Dragon Knight saga (which is basically what this one is, including all the extras). The writing is great, the combat especially later in the game feels more like an ARPG than an RPG, and while the dragon segments weren’t the strongest parts of the game they did add some welcome variety. Some nice puzzles, great environments, and some neat mechanics, and I reckon this is in my top 5 RPGs ever. I still listen to the soundtrack as well. So I really hope a lot of people get to experience this under-appreciated gem.

4. Ringwraith says:

I’m currently playing through the game for the first time and it’s definitely a Divinity game, just with the writing and general nuttiness it devolves into sometimes.
    The combat has just made me want to play Kingdoms of Amalamadingdong though, and I don’t even own that.

5. Bob says:

I really enjoyed the game despite it being a little difficult until you leveled up a bit. I got a giggle out of water fowl and rabbits exploding into flame if they came with in a few metres of me.

6. Vashu says:

A shame you link to Steam’s version of the Director’s Cut. Gog has it with A LOT of extras and at 20 Dollars instead of Euro’s for people like myself in Europe.

7. cHeal says:

Double shame that you failed to even mention that this was available as part of a GOG pay-what-you-want bundle last month. I got this, Divinity and Divinity 2 for $15.

Had just a quick run around on this on Monday.

Graphics are good, dialogue good but the combat seems basic. Mostly I want a good story and engaging world though. Literally only just played the opening 20 mins where you pick your skills and stuff. Looking forward to putting more time into it.

8. Baardago says:

One of the best damn games I’ve ever played in my life. I’d actually hug a retail box of it when I go to sleep, if I had one.

Sure, game had it’s flaws and balance issues, but everything else was so awesome I overlooked it all without a thought.

So, can’t wait for this developer’s cut, obviously.

9. Rao Dao Zao says:

DRM-free box?

I’ve just given them my money. This is how the future should be — totally DRM-free boxes with Steam keys available for those that are so inclined.

10. SkittleDiddler says:

I’m not the biggest fan of Divinity II, but props to the developers for updating and supporting the game so long after its original release. I just might reinstall it and give it another go.

11. Gorf says:

its better then skyrim…../hides

• SkittleDiddler says:

Come out if hiding! Raise your fist to the sky and be proud of your opinion!

Skyrim sucks. Divinity is a masterwork in comparison.

12. The Random One says:

“That in mind, this is definitely something I’d
    love to see more developers do. Dev
    commentaries from studios like Valve have
    always been hyper fascinating, but I think
    this kind of audience education can also
    serve a practical purpose.”

I don’t even know what Divinity is, but this is very true. Not only would these “Developer Cuts” help demystify the making of games, but they’d be a nice source of revenue for devs clever enough to keep the IP of their stuff. It also adds value to those who wait before buying a game, something the big players in an industry addicted to the preorder fallacy is loathe to do.

Imagine a dev cut of Psychonauts! *drools*

13. gritz says:

Have they finally added in-game support for Anti-Aliasing?

• thebigJ_A says:

There’s an option in there, but it doesn’t do anything at all, at least on my PC. I’m been messing with the game, and Inspector, for hours trying to get it to look half-decent. Closest I can come is just plain old FXAA through drivers.

14. GeneralAdmission says:

How exactly do previous owners of Divinity II get the DC content/upgrade for free? My copy of DKS came from Amazon.

-edit-
    Answer found after forum digging. One needs to email Larian directly (support@larian.com) with a product key and that should produce a voucher for DII:DC from the Larian Vault:

Comment on this story