Sine Posted: Sine Mora Coming To PC Next Week

By John Walker on November 1st, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Hell looks quite nice for bullets, really.

Gosh, Sine Mora was rather well liked on 360. Humongous review scores for the side-scrolling horizontal shooter have led Kalypso Media to snap it up and proffer it to the PC gods. It’s due out on the 9th November, souped up for PC with HD mudflaps, offering you what people so oddly call “bullet hell”.

Bullet hell is in fact where all the bad bullets go – the ones that kill the goodies. Me, I want to see some bullet heaven games. But for now I have to schmup it. (Geddit?!) Unfortunately they haven’t seen fit to reveal a video of the game, because it’s 1997 and we’re a magazine. Screenshots? There are screenshots. Instead, here it is on 360 – it will be a lot like this, but you’re wearing a nicer hat.

See, wouldn’t it be nicer if you could just fly that lovely looking plane over those pretty cities, without all those people shooting at you? No? Weirdo.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Memphis-Ahn says:

Neat, I love me some SHMUPs

2. trjp says:

I have to say that shmups, for me, are top-down or arena . I’ve never liked sidescrollers – but despite that I tried this on 360 and…

erm…

The demo on 360 is super short and mostly consists of attract sequences and FMV – there’s next-to-no game in it!!

What there was – didn’t really leap out and slap me about the facial parts much – but then, as I said, not much was offered.

It would take an astonishing side-scroller to convert me tho so who knows

• PatrickSwayze says:

Wrong! There’s a bunch of levels and at least four boss fights in the demo!

• trjp says:

When I tried the demo on launch day it stopped after the first boss encounter with a “would you like to buy this” screen – and then threw me back to the menu – I remember this because I HATE that sort of shit.

I think there was also the option to play Arcade “hard mode” – as in you survive about 20 seconds?? :)

Since you mentioned it, I redownloaded and it let me play the whole of the first stage through to the train boss – which was nicer for sure – gives you more of a feel for it.

It surely is pretty and typically ‘Grasshopper’ bonkers – but I’m still not convinced it’s the side-scroller which will tear me away from my ‘top down or arena’ mentality…

Back then you got a little more conversation and a little less action I guess :)

• trjp says:

Furthermore – was out fixing a PC today, got talking about games – shooters – the guy said he had this on his 360 and booted it up

and it is VERY nice indeed, the demo simply does not do it service (lack of difficulty settings and one of the less impressive stages of the game included).

Still not sold on side-scrollers but this is probably as good as it gets.

Funnily enough – at college I used to enjoy watching people play R-Type – I watched one guy most lunchtimes for a year – and this is similar – good spectator sport :)

3. The Random One says:

Good, now I can buy this without having to re-add my credit card number or deal with the stupid point cards.

Uh, I mean… Now I can buy this! Stupid console owners! How I love being able to tell you my BIOS driver version from heart because I know all about my PC’s specs! Ha ha ha ha ha!

• trjp says:

Don’t be alone there – since my XBL account was hacked and MS refused to refund any points or money I’ve spent NOTHING with them, and will continue to spend nothing.

I’d actually hack the thing and pirate their games to fuck and back but it seems a massive hassle to do that – so I just buy games pre-owned and wait for a PC release for the Arcade/Indie stuff (which happens 9 times out of 10).

This is what happens when your security is paper-thin and your customer service is thinner – oh and your CEO is a fucking mentalist…

4. Pryde says:

People can have small glimpse at bullet heaven in Jamestown on “Divine” difficulty. Acheivement told me so x)

5. Guvornator says:

It doesn’t LOOK very bullet hell-y to me. Shouldn’t there be more incredibly slow moving pink bullets around? I thought that was The Law.

• fooga44 says:

If anything shmups need to move away from bullet hell and come up with some real innovative mechanics instead. Bullet hell has been done to death.

• trjp says:

There’s plenty of ‘hail of bullets’ moments – you have a time-slowdown for a reason y’know.

It’s not QUITE as bonkers as a Touhou (sp?) offering – but I suspect your hitbox is a BIT bigger too – it felt that way, playing it earlier.

Not a bad thing actually tho – makes you work a bit harder.

• Caiman says:

Believe me, Sine Mora gets very, very bullet hellish especially on the higher difficulty levels. I do own this on 360 because I took a gamble on it never being released on the PC, so I can report that a) it’s brilliant and b) it’s bastard hard. It’s not particularly long, a few hours if you know what you’re doing (a few days if you don’t), but there are so many variations possible including different ship types and different characters, and combinations thereof, that it plays quite differently depending on your choices. The unlock system adds a lot to its replayability, and it’s straight up brilliant. It even has a cool story (bro) although it takes a while to piece it all together. Definitely highly recommended if you’re remotely a fan of the genre, especially once you start to play the game proper in the higher difficulties.

6. Rawrian says:

I’d rather have something more Tyrian or R-Type like, there’s just too many bullets in those modern games.

7. Arcanon says:

So G-Darius has a new name now…..but couldn’t they keep the cool jet instead of that silly plane?

8. Snids says:

Yes! Can’t wait! EEEEEeeeeeee

9. Casimir's Blake says:

Every time I see a new shmup announced I cannot help my nostalgia get the better of me and convince me to investigate.

Every time I see a new shmup that’s a “bullet hell” type I lose interest immediately.

Horisontal or vertical, shoot-em-ups often used to have level design: caves, tech bases, alien biomasses, or huge super-battle-ships (Thunder Force!). But no, developers can’t be bothered any more and all I see developed now are these bullet-hell things. There is nothing fun or interesting about negotiating patterns of bullets for the sake of it – which is practically all these bullet hell shmups have to offer – it wasn’t fun in Psyvariar or any Cave shmup, and it isn’t fun now. Oh and it always causes headaches.

• fooga44 says:

The shmup community is the reason shmups died out, we dont’ see shmups on the level of say Area 88 (UN Squadron) anymore. The fringe players became the dominant shmup demographic and they are autistic about bullet hell and label anything else not within their narrow tastes ‘euroshmup’.

• Rawrian says:

That’s it, world needs more euroshmups. Also, I guess those shmup community people don’t remember Crisis Force by Konami, which was, despite being Japanese, full of caves and tech bases and indestructible flying metal blocks and such.

• ciox says:

Enemy placement has replaced terrain because enemies are more dynamic and always destructible, terrain has moved to the background as a consequence and enemy placement is miles ahead compared to older terrain-based games.

And I don’t get why you announce your opinions like you’re the entire world combined or something.

• LennyLeonardo says:

For the record, my experience with the Xbox trial suggests this game is indeed closer to the”level design” based shootingthemup than the bullet hell type. It also has weird time-bendy stuff and other gubbins that seemed interesting until I remembered I suck at these games.

10. TaroYamada says:

I announced this on my podcast in June, bit behind the curve here RockPaperShotgun!

11. Oneironaut says:

Actually, Bullet Heaven was the name of a flash game that was my introduction to the bullet hell genre.

12. trjp says:

Oh and on the ‘time bendy’ front, one side-scroller which did catch my eye on 360 also made it’s way over to PC but I never got around to getting it.

Did anyone pickup Zeit2?

It’s concept was that you could go back in time and attack alongside your other self – some enemies can only be hit in ‘time rewind’ and vice versa…

Seemed a neat idea but it was another game where the demo didn’t QUITE tip me into it”?

13. MrNash says:

Good stuff. I was kind of tempted by the game when it first appeared on the 360, but I didn’t want to deal with the points mumbo jumbo so I wound up passing on it in the end. Now I’ll actually grab the thing.

These console exclusive indie digital download games really get on my nerves, as they’re games that I’d really like to play, but just don’t want to do so on a console. It really seems like developers going this route are leaving a bunch of money on the table, and from some of the comments recently from the folks at Introversion about dealing with the consoles as an indie dev, I’m guessing that is indeed the case.

14. Tiax says:

My only grief with this game is that the hitbox of our plane isn’t visible.

Comment on this story