The Ship Sequel Sets Sail On Kickstarter

By Nathan Grayson on November 1st, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Fun fact: RPS is actually operated in its fundane day-to-day fashion entirely from the crowded deck of an upscale 1920s cruise liner. While jovially spinning our thoughts into the most eloquent of wordshapes, Jim, John, Alec, Adam, and I are constantly engaged in a methodical hunt for one other. We like to think that the ever-present threat of death keeps our writing sharp. But finally, I think I’m closing in on my target. Adam, quite simply, has demonstrated that he knows too much. Look at what he said about the just-announced The Ship sequel – titled Full Steam Ahead – nearly a year ago: “Kick-start The Ship… ‘Full Steam Ahead.'” And sure, I may have rearranged some words to break his maniacally brilliant code, but the point’s still clear as day: Adam must be eliminated. But first, let’s talk about videogames!

In the wake of original developer Outerlight’s closure, Blazing Griffin has taken to captaining The Ship. The end result? A tongue-in-cheek steampunk sequel that seems to be heading in the right direction. Here’s a quick rundown, per Full Steam Ahead’s Kickstarter page:

“In the spirit of the original, 1920’s game, The Ship: Full Steam Ahead will let you dress up in your Steampunk finery, travel on Victoria’s finest shippage, and ‘drub’ the enemies of the Empire, while those self-same scoundrels, attempt to murder you. You’ll get to play in an evocative, Victorian environment, where eating, sleeping, and promenading (as well as unmentionable ablutions) are just as important as murdering your shipmates. After all, one must have some sense of decorum, don’t you think?”

“Going beyond this ‘hundredweight’ of original gameplay, we’ll be embracing the rather risqué craze of ‘open development’, waving our merry kerchiefs with much hulabaloo, and setting sail for gameplay unknown. We have plenty of ideas for new features, but most importantly, we want to create something new and rather daring with input from YOU – our most noble players.”

Unfortunately, Blazing Griffin’s not really discussing those new features yet – nor is it presenting anything in the way of screenshots or gameplay footage. Seeing as the developer’s a relative unknown, that doesn’t do a whole lot to inspire confidence. Granted, Full Steam Ahead’s not slated to release until April 2014, so I don’t imagine it’s exactly ship-shape just yet.

The Kickstarter’s final goal is £128,000 in 59 days. And yes, that currency type is correct; Kickstarter’s now taking UK submissions, so convert your vast quantities of inherited gold accordingly.

And now, I’ll leave you with this very silly pitch video – in part to amuse you, but mostly in hope that Adam will watch it on loop in a quiet, confined space while I hunt.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Inigo says:

For a moment I thought that was a Starship Titanic remake.

• jumblesale says:

Me too! I read half the article before figuring out what was going on.

• Text_Fish says:

Me three! I think it’s the shiny art deco. Ah well.

selkcip says:

That first image looks just like the, uh, main hall. I had to read the title a second time.

• abigbat says:

Purely coincidental, although I was a huge fan of ST so perhaps some influence crept in there!

• G_Man_007 says:

Strange. Thought I was the only one… Still never finished Starship Titanic. Not sure where I put it now.

2. povu says:

They can do 60 day kickstarters now? I wonder if Kickstarter takes a larger cut for that or something.

Tom De Roeck says:

Nope, its actually discouraged to do longer kickstarter projects, because most of the backers join the project in the beginning and the end. the middle is just a slump, usually.

But the science behind it is.. questionable at best. so who knows.

3. Tams80 says:

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in a Victorian cinematograph! I say! That is most inaccurate! One shall be enquiring as to whether this shall be changed.

On another note; I’m really looking forward to this, as The Ship has taken several hours of my life from me.

4. BobbyDylan says:

Mhe. Multiplayer only. Instantly turned me off.

• phelix says:

Why? The Ship doesn’t strike me as the kind of game that attracts tons of griefers, kids, idiots whining over VoiP, et cetera.

• dE says:

Why? Because not everyone enjoys the same things.
        Personally, I really don’t care all that much for the clashing heads thing of multiplayer titles. The only multiplayer I can stand, is coop. Everything else is simply not enjoyable to me (anymore). So I’m similar in this case. Multiplayer Only? Yeah, you guys go, have fun. I’ll be doing something else instead.

• abigbat says:

It’s initially going to be multiplayer only, but with the potential of singleplayer in the future if that’s what the community wants. We’re VERY open to community suggestions!

• Magnusm1 says:

I presume you have never played The Ship.

• Skabooga says:

Please bear in mind that it is a game designed from the ground up as a multiplayer experience. It’s okay not to like those sorts of things, but to complain about it is akin to complaining that a racing game contains too much racing.

• MrLebanon says:

but i just want to drive, not race

Llewyn says:

Indeed, I often feel that driving games are too focused on being racing games for my liking. However complaining about The Ship being multiplayer is like complaining that charades works best with other people.

5. McDan says:

I will now never not think of RPS as a murder-hunt for each other on a massive steam-powered cruise liner. Excellence.

6. Emohawk says:

This will probably get it’s funding, be developed and released before Spy Party. Wish I hadn’t bothered with it – this looks good though. Will have to try the original.

(yes I realise Spy Party is only 1 guy and he has disclaimers all over the shop – but can’t help but want to see the final version sooner..)

• smalltrouble says:

The developer of the game says he wants to get a open beta started soon, right now the game is getting closer with each update so I would expect it in the next few months hopefully.

7. Bhazor says:

Great news. The Ship was fantastic at release but now people only play it in frickin deathmatch with no passengers and instant respawns. Christ.

• Moraven says:

Yah, that happened to a bit of Natural Selection 1 when it got a deathmatch mode. While fun it meant a lot of full normal servers that was hard to get in with a group.

8. kwyjibo says:

I’m not sure pricing in GB£ will help, when US$ is more international. The exchange rates also make it seem expensive – Double Fine Adventure cost me $15, Project Eternity $20, both of which are less than the £16 The Ship needs.

Also, why are they calling it “The Ship” again? No one knows what that means. Why don’t they just call it Murder Party?

• Phil Harris says:

Hey, I’m Phil and work for Blazing Griffin.

We’re using The Ship as many people on the Steam and Desura forums know it in that way. As the spirit of the game we want to create is the same at its heart we wanted the sequel to be The Ship: Full Steam Ahead. Putting things in a steampunk setting.

We also didn’t really have a choice between £’s an $’s launching on the UK Kickstarter. We appreciate your comments here and we’ve been listening to many. We’ve added some new tiers which will hopefully alleviate some of the issues.

Cheers

Phil

9. checkers says:

Is this the third time they’re re-making this game? I think that’s a bit much, don’t they have other ideas?

• zeroskill says:

Yeah! How dare they make a sequel to their own game! I’m outraged!.

• Bhazor says:

What are the chances people will refer to this as ripping off Assassins Creed multiplayer?

• NightKid says:

I’m sure it was Assassin’s Creed multiplayer that ripped off either The Ship or Bloody Good Time, seeing as both precedes Brotherhood. Also, the fact that Outerlight had BGT published by Ubisoft reinforces that idea in my mind.

However, I give them full credit for incorporating CoD’s multiplayer progression elements into the AC series.

10. wodin says:

…zzzzz…sorry did someone say anything..oh an MMO….zzzzzzz

11. Brise Bonbons says:

Hmmmmm. Not sure what to make of this. I loved The Ship, but I don’t feel like it needs updating so much as a new business model to draw in an active playerbase.

I never thought I’d say this, but I think *gulp* they should make this F2P. I know *I* would buy fancy skins for it…

As it is, I’m not enthused about kickstarting this effort, seeing as I have zero confidence I’d be able to find a populated server a month after launch.

Damn, it’s a tough one. I sure want them to succeed at this, because I love these games, but, I just… Urgh.

• Phil Harris says:

Hey there, I work for Blazing Griffin and hopefully some new imagery, going up on the Kickstarter next week will convince you more of what we’re planning and I hope you pop back there to have a look.

Cheers

Phil

12. Redd says:

This is good news. I’d love to see more games in this genre.
    Also, tittering at the single-player comments.

13. Cerebulon says:

The Ship was my first Steam game and the sheer number of unintentional ship-words always amused me.
    “Launching The Ship…”
    Actually that’s the only one I can think of.

14. mwoody says:

I was thrilled about The Ship when I first read about it, but never ended up grabbing it, sadly. But now that we have Assassin’s Creed multiplayer – which really does seem similar on paper – can someone sell me on how the two are different?

15. Xocrates says:

I feel I need to be a bit critical of this, because quite frankly outside a good looking video, there really isn’t much to this pitch.

The Ship was an interesting but hugely flawed game. If the pitch consists solely of “let’s remake The Ship, in a new engine and setting” my immediate question is: Why?

I want a Ship sequel, but I have no interest in playing the same game with the same problems, but better looking. I need a lot more info on this sequel for me to find it worth considering.

16. Jerakal says:

Delightful! I think I’m one of the 6 people who still installs and plays the Ship from time to time.

17. RubberTrucky says:

I can’t say I was particularly fond of the original. It fell flat in the same way that most games based that base themselves around deception and intrigue do; players forwent the intentions of the designers and just exploited game mechanics and played the game in a completely ridiculous way.

18. Phil Harris says:

We got a lot of great response and press coverage about the Kickstarter launch for Full Steam Ahead; but there were also some relevant criticisms.

You spoke. We listened!

This is the type of studio Blazing Griffin are…receptive of feedback and critique. Adapting to what you’re telling us and, within reason, changing to make our message more relevant to the wider community. Open development at its best.

The new video will make our Kickstarter goals clearer, as we explain why Full Steam Ahead will be an up-to-date, relevant sequel to the original hit.

We’ve added artwork; showing the transition of the game from 1920’s ships into the new steampunk setting of Full Steam Ahead and what’s more… we mention tea.

Have another look, tell everyone and let us know what you think. We’re interested in your responses, your backing and going Full Steam Ahead.