Heavy Lifting: Cargo Commander

By Jim Rossignol on November 2nd, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Randomly generated action platform Cargo Commander looks excellent, and mad. In it you “travel through the vast reaches of wormhole-filled space salvaging priceless cargo from alien infested containers.” The levels – interconnected cargo containers floating in space – are destructible, so you blast your way around the platformy environments as you collect the loot and defeat antagonists. There’s some extraordinary zero-G and camera rotation stuff going on here, as you can see in the trailer, below. Cargo Commander came out just yesterday for $10, and it’s a shame it doesn’t have a demo.

, .

1. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

It is indeed a shame it doesn’t have a demo. It looks pretty and the central gimmick should make for some fun platforming but it’s hard to be sure without having a go.

2. Spengbab says:

I purchased it this morning, without having seen the trailers or Let’s plays or what have you. What really got me hooked is the rotation of the various areas. When it’s time to clear out of a container when its getting sucked up by a wormhole, it can be a real challenge to remember which way gravity points when you transfer from one container to the next. Plus there’s the whole space thing. Also, the great sillyness of living in a magnetic space-house that crashes containers into your living room so you can scavenge it for space-supplies.

But I’m not gonna lie, pressing F is the greatest thing ever in this game.

3. Jupiah says:

That looks wonderful. That trailer ended rather depressingly though.

4. Tinarg says:

This is the bloody best trailer I’ve seen in a while! Is it only because I’ll be father soon, or does anyone else share this sentiment?

• Heliocentric says:

It’s funny how you roll your eyes at parent sentiment in stories until you share it. Here is a guy who is putting his life on the line every day hoping to get promoted enough to earn the right to shoreleave. He hasn’t even told his family there is danger. His bastard employers make him pay to receive a package.

It’s dark if you let it be.

• Phantoon says:

Yeah, the little touches really help make the story, when it’s not even at the forefront. I especially liked the message from the Secretary of the Boss, and her own rank was included.

I think I really like this game. Fast paced, difficult, but not unfair.

• Heliocentric says:

I should add I got this today and I am really enjoying it. Use of mouse wheel for zooming was beautiful and gives great context.

5. Cognitect says:

Those alien infestations really should include some genestealers.

6. Wulf says:

Chubby protagonist! Why are those so rare? And a potentially meaningful and poignant story, as highlighted above.

I think I’m sold.

• Premium User Badge JB says:

Yeah, you’re right. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Rochard as having a chubby protagonist. But Cargo Commander makes me think of Rochard a little bit anyway.

7. Jae Armstrong says:

That looks amazing. Please tell me there’s joypad support?

• Retorrent says:

Yup it supports a game pad, I use my 360 controller to play it and it works just fine.

8. Kefren says:

Dad Space.

• ColOfNature says:

I can’t help but feel that this comment deserved more recognition.

• Kefren says:

Many thanks kind sirs. It would be good if the comments had ‘like’ buttons or somesuch – I regularly chuckle at things I read here, and would like the author of said comment to know, but don’t want to have to comment every time.

Oh, and an alert if someone replies to a comment thread you have contributed to. Would be lovely.

9. wu wei says:

Grabbed this for $6 from GMG with the current 25% off discount code.

10. subactuality says:

They had me at “randomly-generated”!

• Phantoon says:

I’m pretty sure once a level is generated, it stays the same, so you can try to do it better. But each new level is completely different.

11. iusiuwhbsj says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

• I want to stab you to death and play around with your blood. says:

Keep it up, buddy; see what happens…

BLOCKED! That’s what. You done goofed.

• Phantoon says:

See, replying to them makes people reflexively think they’re not spam. Now me replying to you to tell you not to reply exacerbates the problem, which means I’m really not helping.

THE ORIGINAL COMMENT IS SPAM DO NOT CLICK ON IT THANK YOU.

• jalf says:

I think in this particular case, most people will instantly recognize it as spam. ;)

But you’re right of course, a lot of spam posts are subtle enough that, with a few replies tagged onto them, they might look genuine enough for someone to follow their links.

12. Phantoon says:

Press F. Get surprise.

13. Premium User Badge mineshaft says:

This game is awesome.

Gamepad controls are good I think, but take some getting used to. Gravity switching and zero g navigation do too.

You feel responsible whenever you goof up and you have the tools to do better.

The art is beautiful and it’s full of great little touches. Music too.

Essentially you’re repeatedly trying to put together a great run. You have limited time to navigate, kill, loot, and return. If you die, you try again on the same level. If you don’t get enough treasure to progress, you try again. If you don’t find the sector pass to complete the level, you try again. There are leaderboards for each level.

It deserves your spacebux.

14. XX110 says:

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

(www.likesurprise.com/ )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment.