Serious Sam 3 Explodes Onto Steam Workshop

By Nathan Grayson on November 2nd, 2012 at 8:00 am.

Wait! Before you shoot me, I just want to get your opinion on the quality of a couple beautifully aged wines from my cellar.

That right there? That’s Sir Buttersworth. His hobbies include savoring life’s most delicate fineries and single-handedly justifying the existence of Serious Sam 3‘s Steam Workshop support. Oh, and loping ever onward – to almost completely certain death – in dim hope of truly understanding that most top-hat-less of Others, Serious Sam. Can’t forget that. But he is not alone, neither in that indirectly suicidal pursuit nor his presence on Steam Workshop. Sam’s only just arrived on Valve’s mod-friendly service, but his page is already impressively populated.

Despite the fact that the current top mod (as of writing) is, um, an axe imbued with no special properties or abilities whatsoever, there’s some highly enticing additions on offer. Among others, you can queue up a megapack of survival maps, a smattering of classic weapons, a cardboard box to cover up the Harpy’s horrifying multi-mouth, and a tiny weaponized version of the Scrapjack baddie who’ll fire rockets from the palm of your hand. Also, there are anime characters with neon-hued hair colors because The Internet.

If you’re interested in tossing up something of your own, Croteam’s put together a handy step-by-step wiki to help get you started. And if not, well, someone has to destroy all these wonderful creations. I don’t want to get your hopes up, but it could be you. I mean, do you have what it takes to not spend any money and click a couple buttons? Be honest with yourself, now.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. abigbat says:

I found SS3 pretty soulless – perhaps ludicrous mods are just the thing to give it some life!

2. SpaceAkers says:

SS3 disappointed me.

There were only a handful of levels towards the end that were appropriately “Serious”, and then the final level was a tedious gauntlet.

o wellz.

• ScubaMonster says:

Co-op and Survival are great fun. If you haven’t tried, I suggest doing so.

• Baines says:

It seemed more like a game suited for couch console play. But then the console port was delayed forever, and when it finally came out, they’d cut the local multiplayer from four down to two player. (Not to mention that they chopped it into two game purchases. One for the base game and co-op, the other for the expansion and deathmatch multiplayer.)

Tom De Roeck says:

I really hated serious sam 3. If only I had played it at all!

Also, mod support is always awesome.

4. MrNash says:

It’ll be one of the most charming alien invasions that the world has ever seen. Don’t forget to consult the book of etiquette before engaging these guys!

5. Squishpoke says:

All of you nay sayers are greatly disappointing me. Serious Sam 3 is easily one of my favorite games- I beat it twice!. Croteam really outdid themselves on this one.

• phelix says:

It’s a fun game, but not a ‘real’ Serious Sam game in my opinion. My main issue with SS3 was that it took itself a tad too seriously and was set in all-too-generic Middle Eastern cities.

• valz says:

Better than the generic Egytian aesthetic in the earlier games.

• MrLebanon says:

i loved SS3… the beginning was slow and unnecessary but ones it picked up.. IT PICKED UP!

• ScubaMonster says:

Serious Sam 3 is great. Easily the best modern “retro” FPS out there. Certainly a million times better than that shit Duke Nukem Forever. But then, Serious Sam was always better than Duke Nukem.

6. InternetBatman says:

New Vegas is the game I really want on Steam Workshop/

7. Vorphalack says:

I am very interested in a mod that removes clips, reloading and iron sights from the shotgun and assault rifle, replaces most of the hit scan enemies with projectile enemies, and removes ammo boxes, C4 and sprint from the game. Old school is best school.

8. Pemptus says:

Oh good, there’s an obligatory gold Desert Eagle mod.

9. Shooop says:

No more hitscan enemies. This is already one of the best Steam workshops ever.

• JackDandy says:

Seconded as hell.

Can’t wait to give this one a try, it was my biggest complaint with the original BFE.

• Shooop says:

Aside from the horrid automated gun puzzles, that was my only complaint about this game. And now they’re gone.

JOYFACE.

10. tangoliber says:

What is considered to be the best Serious Sam game? Second Encounter?

• ScubaMonster says:

I think First. I’ve heard people complain about Second encounter. Though honestly I don’t get any hate, every single one even the third is awesome.

11. The Random One says:

“His hobbies include savoring life’s most delicate fineries and single-handedly justifying the existence of Serious Sam 3‘s Steam Workshop support.”

I think you mean single-eyedly.

Also, where’s the “fancying eye” tag?