You Shall Not Pass On The Lego LOTR Demo

By Alec Meer on November 6th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Edit – whoops, Nathan already posted this. I blame Sauron.

Warner are pretty canny at getting a companion Lego game out when their tentpole movies arrive, and with The Hobbit: An Unexpectedly And Cynically Long Three-Part Journey arriving in cinemas very soon, so it is that the first Lego Lord of the Rings game is on its way. I am prepared to state, on the record, my belief that it will be Quite Nice but overwhelmingly similar to the nineteen hundred other Lego: Franchise games released to date. But you shouldn’t take my lazy prophecies on face value – not when there’s a demo available now.

The demo runs on Windows XP-7, though I presume it’ll also work on Windows Hate (do you see what I did there?). The download will cost you approximately 18 Peggles. OLD SCHOOL.

The full game, meanwhile, arrives on Nov 13 in the US, and Nov 23 in Europe, presumably because of some idiot bureaucratic decision made by people who don’t understand the internet. Here’s the latest video-based advertisement for you. Frodo does an off-screen poo in it. Tolkien would have been proud, I’m sure.

, , , , .

1. John Connor says:

Lego Lord of the Rings Online?

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Yes – the game automatically K’nex you to other players.

And in relation to the the infinite other tie-ins, has the demo for Lego Blockback Mountain been outed yet?

Nathan says:

There’s no way that that wouldn’t be the most incredible game ever.

AmateurScience says:

One does not simply release games at the same time globally, it is folly.

3. Xardas Kane says:

LOTRO? Really, Meer? Not only do you post old news, but you get the game’s name wrong.

AndrewC says:

9am is officially Too Early for Mr Meer. We should all quietly go hang out on eurogamer for a bit to give him an extra hour or so in bed, otherwise he’ll be grumpy aaaaall day. We’ll bring back some coffee and pastry.

4. fruitman1 says:

What is the music that plays 3 quarters in? What is the name?

5. mechabuddha says:

And I still can’t get the demo to work. What a shame, I really wanted to try this out ahead of the release date. I’ll be forced to watch the trailer on repeat continuously until then, I suppose.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Just in case it happens to be a similar issue to what I encountered, make sure nothing like D3DOverrider (or similar) is running.

6. Mintyo says:

“The full game, meanwhile, arrives on Nov 13 in the US, and Nov 23 in Europe”

*Insert LEGO Pirates pun*

7. kiamli says:

Anyone knows why LEGO games don’t get released on Steam anymore?

• mechabuddha says:

They do, just not right away. As far as I know, the only LEGO game not on Steam is Pirates of the Caribbean, which is also the only Disney release.

• TheTingler says:

LEGO Batman 2 came out on the correct day, just didn’t show up before the release date. It’s a real shame about LEGO POTC, even if it was the “last” of the very traditional LEGO games.

8. db1331 says:

For anyone needing a quick LEGO fix, Amazon is currently selling the “Harry Batman Pack.” It’s LEGO Batman 2 and both Harry Potter games for $13.99. They are also 75% off individually, but getting the bundle will save you 80%. It could be just the thing to hold some of you over until LotR. Also, all 3 games come with Steam keys:

9. theangrycat says:

Anyone but me who feels the Lego games lost their charm once they started talking?

• syndicatedragon says:

Nope, it’s not just you. I think LotR especially would have been great without voice since it’s based on such a strong and well-known story.

10. Ravelle says:

The voice-over has to be the worst Ian McKellen impression ever.

11. craigdolphin says:

I have never understood the appeal of lego-ized games. I once ended up with one as part of a bundle and tried it out. It did nohing to change my mind and I haven’t loaded it again since. Obviously, there are a lot of gamers who feel differently since they keep pumping the weird little things out. But I still do not understand the appeal. Lego itself is great and I have a lot of fod memories as a kid playing with it. But games based on the lego aesthetic just don’t appeal to me.

12. VanishedDecoy says:

Personally not a fan of the voice dubbing. Not only does it make it feel somewhat like a Garry’s mod video, but I also feel that the serious acting contrasts too much to the comedy.

13. TheTingler says:

Incidentally, the cheapest UK price is Zavvi at £14.95. Can’t say fairer than that…