Zombie Punchocalypse – Dead Island’s New Character

By Nathan Grayson on November 6th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

For whatever reason, none of the screenshots Deep Silver and Techland sent over actually included John Morgan. So here's everyone else instead.

Sometimes, I think zombies are just a giant metaphor for our pervasive cultural fear of other people. And so, as Dead Island demonstrates, we keep that oh-so-frightening Other at arm’s length by thwacking it upside the head with a boat paddle. Or at least, I know that’s how I deal with my interpersonal problems. However, Dead Island: Riptide (Get it? It stands for “rest in peace… tide”) is adding a fifth playable character, and he likes to resolve his conflicts up-close-and-personal. His name’s John Morgan, and he’s not even the least bit afraid of the one thing scarier than a brain-devouring End of Days: human contact. So he punches people. Dead people, no less. Ewwwww.

Here’s Morgan’s blurb-o-gram, straight from Deep Silver and Techland… land:

“For years he has trained himself – and become a master – in hand-to-hand combat. His career in the US Navy has not taken off as he originally had envisioned, so he spends his time as a cook on a military ship. Little does he know that soon he will have to bring his skills into practice when the ship nears the island of Palanai.”

I’m wondering, though, how his character progression will work. I mean, characters in the original Dead Island had skill trees, but those mainly offered stat boosts. The real meat of it, of course, came from hoarding zombie-horde-born loot and upgrading it with crazy duct-tape/car battery mods and things of the like. Granted – even if it doesn’t really make sense in the context of the setting – Morgan could just equip fist weapons, I suppose. Maybe he could cobble together something elementally charged or even along the (hilarious) lines of Pushy from Fallout: New Vegas? I would like that very much.

Beyond that, Techland and Deep Silver noted that Morgan was inspired by popular hand-to-hand-based mods of the original Dead Island. I really, really, really hope they were referring to this one.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. N9ne Galoo.com says:

If I can punch enemies on fire like I could with Brick in Borderlands, I’m sold.

2. kororas says:

Under Siege meets Dead Island?

• YogSo says:

Hahahah, I just logged to post the exact same thing. John Morgan = Casey Ryback :D

• VindicatorSteve says:

Bah, I just *registered* to say the exact same thing!

There weren’t any comments when I hit register! Damn you Internet, thwarted!

• f1x says:

:D,
        wouldnt it be awesome if that new character had indeed Seagal’s model or at least the voice

3. Cam says:

Fist of the dead star?
    “You are already dead!” ……….Wait a minute? That’s perfect!

4. yurusei says:

I bet all those soft drinks are gonna help you punch harder. More sugar = more power!

5. Shinryoma says:

I finished Fallout 3 with a Fist of the North Star mod and it was awesome. More things can be made awesome with Hokuto no Ken.

6. Cold Steel says:

Are firearms still useless?

7. SkittleDiddler says:

Like the addition of a new character is going to make the others more likeable.

It looks like Deep Silver are only putting a minimum of effort into this sequel. Not surprising considering the quality of the first.

8. dE says:

Well, I’m impressed. It took them a really long time to create a character that was as clich√© and stereotype as the ones they already had. But they finally managed to make one. That takes true skill.

Sorry, just a tad cynic about the characters of Dead Island. Game was some fun with a friend in coop. Nothing for a longer play but that’s fine with me.

• Gorf says:

I absolutely loved it and i played thought the entire game solo. Infact it remains one of my favourite games of the action rpg genre and was my favourite game that year.

9. Slinkyboy says:

I’m never buying or playing another game by Deep Silver. A bunch of jerkoffs.

10. Citrus says:

Riptide is a stupid name for anything.

11. ShinRyuuken says:

So wait, what separates him from Sam B. right now?
    I mean, Sam B.’s rage mode was punching.
    Unless Morgan, is like you said, focused around adorning his fists with boxing gloves with knives taped to them (ala Dead Rising).

I can’t wait for Riptide, but I don’t think I’ll grab it asap.
    I loved Dead Island, and it might have been right for a $60 price point, but Riptide hasn’t proven that it will be deserving of that price point…if it is. If it’s like $40, then I’ll jump on it quick.

12. G_Man_007 says:

Once I complete Dead Island, I am soooo replaying it with that mod.