Abduction Does Gorgeous Stealth In CryEngine 3

By Nathan Grayson on November 7th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

It's far more, er, visible in motion.

Can I declare that we’re in the middle of a Stealth Renaissance yet? Because I really want to, but I’m afraid that I’ll frighten our good fortune and it’ll skulk back into the all-consuming shadows from whenst it came. But come on: between Mark of the Ninja, Dishonored, and Hitman, we’re set for the remainder of this year. Now if only we had some under-the-radar contender to leap out of nowhere and shatter our necks with sheer potential. If only. Oh well. I guess you should just leave no– hrrrggggrrkk [sounds of a neck shattering].

Creator dark12345 revealed the project, titled Abduction, on the CryEngine dev forums. And while it’s obviously a looker, the plan is to back up the beauty with plenty of brains.

“The player must use the coat of the darkness to maneuver and kill their enemies. Players can set traps, rig rooms, spy on foes and gain information to help progress through the game. Weapons are very dangerous and being seen will surely be your demise.”

On the pre-release docket, meanwhile, is more advanced AI, a distraction system, and full-blown cinematics. So yes, I certainly like what I’m seeing. Or not seeing at all and harboring a nerve-wracking but healthy fear of, as it were. Now then, can anyone remind me how one deal’s with a broken neck? You put it in milk first, right?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. GallonOfAlan says:

I’ll tell thee summat – Thief 4 had better get its ass in gear or it’s in danger of being completely surpassed.

• db1331 says:

My biggest fear for Thi4f (besides it actually being called “Thi4f”) is that they are going to make it too focused on combat, by adding assassination missions and such. Basically that they will try and copy AC.

• GallonOfAlan says:

That or Dishonored.

• db1331 says:

Exactly. Dishonored looks to be a fine game (I’ve not gotten to it yet), but it’s nothing like what I want from a Thief title.

• skittles says:

Was actually my major problem with Dishonored. Although you are never forced to kill anyone, given you are frequently sent on what ARE assassination missions the non-lethal route often feels a little forced.

• scatterbrainless says:

True, twas a wonderful game that I hope more publishers will notice, but my Thief/Deus Ex itch still goes unscratched, somehow.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I’ve come to peace with Thi4f. I loved Dishonored and the Dark Mod, so I feel like my sim-leaning tastes have been pretty fulfilled lately. My only hope is that whatever they do with Thief 4, they do it well. I’m not expecting a ‘proper’ Thief game at all.

2. BathroomCitizen says:

It’s a bit disturbing having that trippy-happy music in the background while the guy cracks necks in the video.

I like that.

3. SlappyBag says:

I’m sorry, but to me this doesn’t seem to be doing much different? Later videos will hopefully differentiate it a bit more.

I’d still play it anyway. =D

4. tobecooper says:

I liked that he didn’t kill in the beginning. Unfortunately, then he got trigger-happy.
    But there’s definitely hope for this.

5. JBantha says:

“The player must use the coat of the darkness” are they implying the character also has colors? or he is Limbo as it seems. He was standing in the light, his gun fully illuminated, and he just black.

6. Dervish says:

It’s not a renaissance until someone surpasses Thief 2. A promising revival, maybe.

7. db1331 says:

“Can I declare that we’re in the middle of a Stealth Renaissance yet?”

Man, I hope so. I was just tossing out a bunch of old/crappy games I never play, or ones I have a digital copy of (My gaming room is going to become a nursery). I came across my copy of Doom 3, and would have absolutely chucked it if not for that post about The Dark Mod the other week. It seems like there is just a plethora of games for us stealth fans lately. I’ve also fallen back in love with all the Thief games after getting the bundle on Steam.

8. Ian says:

So many boxes.

9. Inigo says:

RIG THE ROOM WITH EXPLOSIVES

10. Jabberslops says:

This may read as being petty, but I can’t stand the bobbing view point. View point bobbing kind of kills the fun for me and has actually made me feel quite sick once while playing a Crysis mod that made it more “realistic”.

Go walk around and try to recreate the view yourself. You don’t view the world like that in real life… Minimal bobbing is ideal in my opinion.

• Brun says:

THIS. Head-bob was one of the things that really turned me off to STALKER. I feel like developers somehow believe that head-bob makes their first-person games more “realistic,” so they dial up the effect to ridiculous levels so that it’s noticeable (the theory presumably being that the audience will say “Wow, look at that head bob! This game is really realistic!”). When you’re actually viewing things while walking or running, your eyes and brain compensate for much of that movement so that the fact that your head is moving up and down is barely noticeable. The kind of head bob seen in games like STALKER is what you get from a camera on a running person’s shoulder. It’s just one of those strange cinematographic artifacts that video games have inherited from movies – and because of its extensive use in both areas, people are convinced that it is a “realistic” effect, even though it’s not.

11. dontnormally says:

td;cs.
    (too dark, can’t see)

12. sonofcaine says:

lol logged in just to say it: I cackled at the intro LOL
    Great writing as always RPS

13. hypercrisis says:

I would really like to see a ‘Stealth Rennaissance’ unfortunately what I see is regurgitation. It’s pretty and refined regurgitation, but nothing that is making any new and exciting steps. Hide behind boxes and shoot guys, this is nothing we haven’t seen a million times before.

14. Velko says:

“dark12345″ is clearly one of those cases where someone has once registered on his first forum just to check something out, with no intention to stay, but then time has passed and the nickname has kind of stuck, and then you feel really awkward for the rest of your life.

15. VanishedDecoy says:

Nothing too different gameplay wise, but an interest may be sparked if the AI turns out to be fleshed out. The fact that both Dishonord’s and Mark of the Ninja’s AI doesn’t notice simple occurrences like doors being carelessly left open drove me nuts.

16. Solidstate89 says:

That does look quite nice, I must say.

17. MarloBrandon says:

… can anyone remind me how one deal’s …

Apostrophe’d.

18. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Looks nice, but if I want my fix of stealthyness, I’ll go back to Chaos Theory, sorry.
    (For now at least.)

The only thing Chaos Theory was missing, in my sadistic opinion was stabby stuff.
    Like, you take a guy(not really, he’s only pixels remember?) and hold a knife to his throat, and no matter his answer and your response, lethal or not, the knife never got used.

Seriously, some of those guards, their responses actually made me want to punch my monitor, and I was upset when I didn’t see the knife used to full effect :<

I mean, Sam's badass I'm sure he wouldn't have minded terribly much.

Comment on this story