Impressions: Assassin’s Creed III

By Alec Meer on November 7th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

SHOCKING AND UNFORGIVABLE REVELATION: I’ve been looking at a videogame on the PlayingStation. Don’t judge me, I just like to sit in a different chair sometimes. And the benefit of the 10-odd hours I’ve spent with Assassin’s Creed III so far does enable me to share some thoughts on what we’re essentially in for when the PC version (maybe – let’s not count our oft-delayed chickens yet, eh?) arrives later this month.

The main thing to say – by which I mean ‘moan endlessly and slightly tediously about like a little child who didn’t get the right Transformer for Christmas – is the tutorial.

I say ‘tutorial.’

I mean ‘five-hours of being treated like an idiot, and a slave.’

I mean ‘I am a hair’s breadth from saying I hate this game for always and forever.’

I don’t hate this game, but I hate that I had to wait so damned long to be allowed to play it. The AssCreed games have always been slow-burners with extra-length tutorials, which I will superciliously claim is because they’re games with relative complexity of controls compared to fellow perennial chart-hogs such as COD and GTA, but aimed at the massest of markets. AC3, however, is taking the micturition. Not, I think, in a “we believe our customers are morons” way, but more that it takes itself far too seriously, and as well as having to explain both the existent controls and the new features (hunting, tree-climbing, a heavily and awkwardly redesigned trading/crafting/economy system) opts to include a lengthy switch’n'bait prelude starring a different character. It’s a good three hours of familiar free-running, man-stabbing and thinly-sketched conspiracies before the game offers even a taste of the new, Native American-inspired skillset. (And even once it does, there’s two more hours of being laboriously told how to use it). Perversely, the guy voicing this initial character is infinitely more charismatic the performance of eventual protagonist Connor, who could easily be mistaken for a grumbletonian chair. Even so, the prelude is cloyingly po-faced as well laid low by excessive hand-holding and sign-posting.

What particularly puzzles me is that is the game takes no prisoners in terms of its meta-narrative, Assassin’s Creed’s infamous sci-fi/prophecy wiffle, as starring rightfully-loathed present day slubberdegullion* Desmond Miles and his attempts to stop something or other from happening by reliving the adventures of his historical ancestors. An intro video makes a token attempt to explain the story so far, but I can’t imagine it would make a great deal of sense to series virgins – especially as the modern world scenes which follow drop straight down the ancestor race/impending apocalypse/centuries-long conspiracy/querulous charisma vacuum rabbit-hole. So, the game is presuming all its players know the story relatively intimately, but with its infuriating, 300 minute tutorial it apparently believes they’ve completely forgotten how to actually play these games. Or, more likely, it’s trying to have its long-running franchise cake and force-feed it to newcomers. Either way, big, frustrating and patronising mistake.

The first five hours are as slow as continental drift, but once the fog of dour tuition lifts the real game finally appears. And, in the five-ish hours of that I’ve played, it’s an awful lot more similar to the earlier AssCreeds than I’d honestly expected, given all the fancy talk and this game’s three-year gestation.

I’m okay with that, truth to be told. A great deal of the appeal of this series, for me, has been relatively unfettered transit around carefully recreated cities of the past, and AC3′s 18th-Century Boston (other cities appear later, but New England’s capital is all I’ve seen so far) is satisfyingly, appealingly different to the old world cities the series has taken itself to previously. Large, cuboid red brick edifices either side of wide roads, with far less verticality than the towering spires of Europe and the Middle East. A wider expanse of world makes up for this, so there’s more in the way of long sprints around twisting side roads or galloping through crop fields on horseback and a wee bit less rooftop action. Not much less though, and when you are up high the bow and arrow makes stealth-sniping that much more front and centre than the relatively limited-use throwing knives of earlier games.

Outside the city are first docklands occupied by towering part-built ships, and then, on the other side of a loading screen, the forested, animal-ruled wilderness. There are a few side-quests scattered around this area, but it primarily serves as a hunting ground. Arrows, knives, and if you want less valuable horribly mutilated hides from your kills, tomahawks are the standard tools of this beast-slaying trade, but there’s a more elaborate mini-game to be had from setting down bait and snares to indirectly kill prey while you’re busy bothering something else.

This side of things is most certainly diverting, and has become the compulsion loop I’m most regularly allowing to grab hold of me in AC3, though like everything in Assassin’s Creed it’s simply a matter of mastering controls and activating fixed actions, rather than an organic, changeable and surprising stalking game. On top of that, I haven’t found the use of resources gained from hunting to be satisfying.

Mostly it’s just selling your assortment of hides, tales and – ew! – hearts to shopkeepers, but there’s also a cludgy remote-access crafting system whereby certain resources can be used to create upgrades and ammo, but only if you’ve also met requirement x and completed sidequest y and have friendly NPC z generating a steady stream of resource Φ. And got the hang of a really awkward, cramped additional set of menus which string together this obtuse series of actions and items. I’m glad to see a change from the straightforward but over-conveniently instant shop restorations of the post-AC2 games but this new system seems like feature creep for feature creep’s sake.

Feature creep is perhaps the defining description of AC3. This isn’t like the sea change of AC2 from AC1, but instead a whole lot of new stuff and a very attractive (even on console – I’m dead keen what the longer draw distances and crisper edges possible on PC do to AC3) engine put on top of a formula that’s already underpinned three ACs to date. Some of it’s certainly for the better, such as the move away from the always slightly vague head/arms/legs control concept of earlier games to a more traditional, explicable third-person action game setup, and that liberating areas of the city is now about fomenting the American people to revolt against their British masters rather than the sillier ‘go burn down the enemy towers’ mechanic of earlier games.

Less positive is a more awkward, overly-streamlined interface for controlling your NPC Assassin aides, an achievement-centric minigame involving chasing torn pages floating on the breeze, and so many bloody things which need buying or finding or upgrading, all with neat little monochrome icons to denote where to get them. Even by AssCreed’s standards, this is an overtly gamey game, which is another reason I’ve been inclining towards the quieter, less signpost-splattered wilderness/forest environment.

It’s a big, generous game and I’m enjoying myself even if I’m a little disappointed that its fixed, unsurprising systems means I’m not generating any anecdotes out of is as yet, and the new setting is a more evocative one than the earlier games’ for sure. I fear it’s too big for its own good though – too many small systems that aren’t pleasing in and of themselves even if they do lead to more unlocks, and most especially that opening five hours of snail-slow deadtime. Right now, I’m feeling like the carefree party that was Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood remains the go-to AC game. I’ll definitely and without regret be sinking the requisite several dozen hours in to the PC version a few weeks though, so perhaps I’ll yet be proved wrong on that account.

Assassin’s Creed III is in theory out on PC on November 23.

* Eternal credit to Proteus lead Ed Key for this most marvelous of words. Buy Proteus!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Faldrath says:

I wandered lonely as a cloud,
    Till I came upon this dirty street.
    I’ve never seen a stranger crowd;
    Slubberdegullions on squeaky feet,

Continually pacing,
    With nonchalant embracing,
    Each orifice disgracing
    And one facing me moves to say “hellay”.

• Tom Servo says:

Well done, you beat me to posting that. Long live the old Genesis!

2. bit.bat says:

I felt that Brotherhood was a bit too gamey as well… it was a lot of fun but I was kind of hoping that they would break away from that kind of stuff in this iteration.

3. rockman29 says:

Lmao, PlayingStation, I am calling it that from now on!

4. DickSocrates says:

On PC you’ll have to go through the opening 5 hours again. Gratuitously slow starts, like Fallout 3′s, are what put me off going back to some games. (I know you can get a mod for that btw)

• Snargelfargen says:

It would be nice if games would let you unlock a tutorial-free mode once you’ve gotten past the beginning. It would be especially nice for games with character building elements that encourage replays.

• x1501 says:

Exactly. I, for one, effin’ hate being forced to play tutorials for a whole number of reasons. Particularly in simplistic action games like this. “Press W to move forward. Good! Now press LMB to shoot. Fantastic! I now see they don’t call you an elite super-awesome-99th-percentile-megasoldier for nothing. Now press F to do everything else…” Do the devs seriously believe that the vast majority of their player base won’t be able to how to perform some of the most ubiquitous and repetitive actions in the history of gaming without first being spoon-fed instructions at a snail’s pace? I simply can’t remember the last time I found one of these mandatory brain cell killers useful to any degree, especially to one where I’d rather endure them for half an hour than actually play the game and figure the controls and the UI for myself. For people who play games on a regular basis, they’re utterly worthless.

• Grygus says:

It has one use for me; I like to remap my movement keys to ESDF, and then see whether the tutorial adjusts accordingly. If it still says, “Hit W to move forward!” then I am warned that attention to detail was not top priority.

• darkChozo says:

Borderlands 2 was really bad about that. I don’t see why you’d still have players go through the tutorial area when you’re very specifically doing a NG+. Yes, Claptrap, I’m aware of what my health bar does.

I wish games would have tutorials structured like how a lot of RTS’s do it. Separate out the tutorial into a “this is how games of this genre control” part and a “these are the features specific to this game” part, and make both skippable. Hell, you can even integrate it into the story like how everyone does nowadays; just have the first part be the usual bit about how you’re feeling rusty or got injured or whatever, and have the second bit be specific training for some new something-or-other.

• x3m157 says:

I know! I for one was extremely disappointed when, on my second playthrough of Dead Space, I hear ‘Use W, A, S, D to walk.’ ‘Use Shift to sprint.’ *AGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!*

• SlappyBag says:

Valve are really good at this though. Remember being taught about the Gravity Gun? Its still fun to play with Dog and obviously is entertaining to play through Ravenholm, they let the actual game teach you, not some pre-defined tutorial that slows things down.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Half-Life 2 is (mostly) a great example of this. Like the metrocop with the can, who simultaneously reinforces the player’s dislike of the metrocops, underlines the totalitarian state, teaches the player how to pick up and drop or throw objects, and lets the player throw the can at the metrocop if they feel rebellious.

And as for Ravenholm, well: http://backslashn.com/post/2995144271/teaching-the-player-how-to-play (shameless self-promotion alert).

• ffordesoon says:

Oh, God, this.

In fact, I wonder if part of the reason so many casual gamers are put off by new franchises and complex gameplay is due to the assumption that a mandatory and very boring tutorial will be involved, since all the games that target them do that anyway.

It really got bad once full voice work was declared mandatory. An onscreen prompt that says “pull RT to shoot” is obnoxious, but it’s not as bad as being forced to stand still while you listen to some lines an overpaid TV screenwriter wrote without ever seeing how they’d be implemented delivered by a laconic actor with a drawl. “Alright, marine, now that we’ve taught to how to walk, we’re gonna teach you how to shoot that pretty little pistol of yours. Pull the Right Trigger to pop the head off that fine-lookin’ straw gentleman over there.” And then you’re given control, but you’re only allowed to shoot in unzoomed mode, so you do. And then you get control taken away from you again, and you hear the same actor go, “Wooo-eee! Johnny Taliban ain’t gonna know what hit ‘im! Now try aimin’ down your sights with the Left Trigger and puttin’ a winder ‘tween his eyes.” And you do that, because that’s what you would have fucking done the first time around anyway, and the actor goes, “Yeeeeeaaaahhh! Who wants watermelon!?” And then he forces you to pick up a machine gun and do it again, and by that time, you’re ready to shoot him.

I’ve never understood why optional tutorials on the main menu went out of fashion. Well, that’s not true. I understand, I just don’t care.

• The Random One says:

Developers are literally terrified that players will miss the ‘tutorial’ option, go straight into a new game, be unable to play and shout that the devs created a bad game.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Go and play Dark Souls with a controller. Especially if you are usually a Mouse and Keyboard player. It will make you miss games with tutorials.

I spend half the time reading Dark Souls wiki when I play it

• mechabuddha says:

The tutorial level in Dark Souls literally has every gamepad button explained in it. Did we play the same game?

• SavageTech says:

Really? It made me say “Man, I remember when games gave a bare rundown of the mechanics and then cut you loose. Good times.”

Dark Souls’ tutorial is perfect; you learn everything you need to know (to start out) and the length is such that you can breeze through it on subsequent playthroughs. Figuring out the finer points of the mechanics and niche strategies is part of the fun.

• Flailing Penguin says:

Dark Souls’ tutorial is perfect unless you play with mouse and keyboard like me (because I hate myself, ok) – “press LT to block” isnt very helpful when you’ve had to map it to caps lock.

• Dahoon says:

I don’t think we played the same Dark Souls game. They explain every button and move right from the start. Like “Press X to ….” written in the small in-game hints.

5. StAUG says:

AC2 and Brotherhood were the best of the series, that’s for sure. I finished this game on PS3 this morning and agree with most of what Alec says, although he’s way to lenient on the trading/crafting system, which is a complete and utter shitfight to use. Something that didn’t get a mention (at 10 hours in he might not have got to it yet) is the naval battles and captaining your own ship. Heaps of fun and quite well implemented, could almost be a stand-alone game of it’s own.

• monsterZERO says:

Shitfights, Randy. Shitfights…

• brulleks says:

Beware the winds of shit, Randy.

The shitwinds are coming.

or something. It’s been a while. Too, too long.

6. phelix says:

Should I buy this or Hitman on the 23nd? (22st is payday, hence)

• Highstorm says:

This comment destroyed my brain. 23rd, 22nd! Gaghblegook…

But personally I’m more interested in Hitman.

• Koozer says:

It depends if you want to be an actual assassin or not I suppose!

• Dahoon says:

I’d say this one. At least the boring part is only ~5 hours long and not “all the way through the game” long. At least that is my view on it if you buy Hitman to get a…. well, Hitman game. It is an okay stealth game, but far from the known and loved Hitman franchise. Like how the Hitman movie is an okay (like “meh, that was okay”) movie in itself, but is a really really crappy Hitman-the-franchise movie.

7. Heliocentric says:

All I’m excited or is the coop, anyone tried that yet?

• mwoody says:

Not sure what you’re thinking of; aside of some team-based multi, there’s nothing that I would call co-op.

• x1501 says:

The only kind of co-op I ever care for is full campaign co-op and this one definitely doesn’t have it.

8. maxi0 says:

I misread that as ‘PlaythingStation’ for some (possibly freudian) reason.

9. caddyB says:

CONSOLEBOX?
    BAN THIS SICK FILTH!

10. Silvermarch says:

Can you confirm for me if cannonballs still explode on impact against wood in naval battle if you have managed to try it out yet. Its probably the biggest thing that bothers me about the game.

• LennyLeonardo says:

You are very strange.

• JuJuCam says:

They don’t seem to, but then it wouldn’t bother me either way if it did so I’m not looking for it. I think exploding cannon balls – while obviously ridiculous – make some sort of sense in a game system where you need to get some feedback about the accuracy of your shots.

Hitting frigates enough will expose a weak point full of powder kegs that definitely do explode. It’s quite satisfying.

• Plopsworth says:

I agree with you. I too was torn in half when seeing the sea-based footage. My inner Patrick O’Brian and C.S. Forester fan sat up straighter but soon sank lower into the chair. Something about the non-stylized, non-abstracted realistic-ish graphic style combined with the implausible maneuvers and combat.

One one hand, you have beautiful Age of Sail ships, lovely water with foam, big environments with a long draw-distance, what looks like seamless transitions to boarding in AC3′s beautifully animated melee combat (a weakpoint in most Age of Sail-era games), verbal feedback from the crew, a non-obtrusive intuitive aiming overlay, beautiful generous particle-effects, and a view ingeniously lowered to being an actual character on the deck at the helm for maximum visual feedback and intensity, allowing you to walk around on deck and use a spyglass.

On the other hand, casual twitch gameplay: Insane speeds (are they motorboats flying around at 60 knots?), quick reloads, no blinding lingering cloud of white blackpowder smoke, maneuvering abstracted from any relation to wind direction, no importance of having the weather gauge, exploding shot (well, they could be striking powder kegs), and what looks like a small privateer brig taking on 74-gun ships of the line (several at once!), happily sinking them after two or three broadsides which take mere seconds to reload.

I wasn’t expecting AC3 to even have an Age of Sail sidequest minigame, so I guess I should be happy and grateful to even have something like that in it. None the less I do feel a bit let down. Obviously Ubisoft isn’t going to include a hardcore simulation as a minigame. It’s not like the series is by any means realistic in its implementation of horseriding, climbing or swordfighting – but they could’ve pushed it just a little further. I’d yearn for a touch more (optional) realism. They could’ve lowered the speeds, made the player have to tack when sailing against the wind, taught the player about the advantage of crossing the T, waiting for the best opportunity to unleash a precious, slowly reloaded broadside, instead of firing at maximum range – or even just the importance of holding the weather gauge (which are sound tactics even in the slightly less casual but more abstract Sid Meier’s Pirates!, which even allows you to maneuver you ship around incoming fire).

I think that there is an unsatisfied niche market for something like a slightly more simmy Sid Meier’s Pirates!, an offline hardcore version of Pirates of the Burning Sea, a 17th to early 19th century Silent Hunter level of detail game. At best, this minigame could prove to awaken interest and demand in that genre and era. Also it’d be refreshing seeing an Age of Sail game not always be attached to Caribbean Pirates, even if that is the most visible manifestation in the entertainment industry. I’d love to visit the Mediterranean, other European areas, such as the Baltic, or faraway North America and other colonial ports even.

• failwheeldrive says:

could you imagine the bloody naval tutorial? you’d get arthritis and cataracts before playing a mission.

11. Radiant says:

Where is Play Station? I can’t find it on any map.
    What train line is it on? Is it past Cockfosters?

12. db1331 says:

Did you get any trophies, you stinking console peasant? ;-)

And I know exactly how you feel about the game treating you like an idiot. That was Skyward Sword for me. Despite the fact that I had already beaten over a dozen Zelda games, all of them multiple times, the game still felt like stopping me every 2-3 minutes and telling me what I needed to do. The most frustrating moment was when I saw a cracked wall at the other end of the cave I was in. I pulled out a bomb and ran toward it. Right as I am about to throw it, my sidekick pops out and goes, “HEY LINK! LOOK AT THAT FUCKING WALL! IT’S GOT A BIGASS GODDAMN CRACK RUNNING THROUGH IT! SHIT, MAN. I WONDER IF YOU CAN DESTROY IT SOMEHOW?” Meanwhile, as she is talking, the bomb’s fuse is burning away in my hands. Before I can throw it, it blows up and knocks me below three hearts. My sidekick is beeping at me, wanting to tell me something. She pops up. “YOU’RE LOW ON HEARTS, BITCH! YOU SHOULD PROBABLY PICK SOME UP!” The game treats you like a moron until about the 75% mark.

A few months after I finished the game, I started a new game on Hero Mode (NG+). This time around, instead of telling me what to do, everyone says, “Oh, I can see you are playing on Hero Mode, so you already know this” and lets me go on my way. It is much, much more enjoyable, and feels like what I wanted the game to be from the start.

• darkChozo says:

MASTER THERE IS A 95 PERCENT CHANCE THAT BOMBS HURT YOU

• Tom Servo says:

Alan Wake drove me crazy with this. I would maybe just be wandering around and the game kept going DO THIS, GO HERE! This is a really bad trend in gaming. Even the beloved indie Amnesia did too much handholding for my tastes, it spoiled several puzzles for me with the text suggestions it would flash when you die.

13. Milky1985 says:

“liberating areas of the city is now about fomenting the American people to revolt against their British masters rather than the sillier ‘go burn down the enemy towers’ mechanic of earlier games. ”

This and the fact that i have been told the red coat/blue coat killing ratio seems to be close to 50:1 makes me think that the apparent grey area the game is meant to inhabit isn’t really that grey.

• mwoody says:

I’m about 20 hours in, and while yeah, you kill a lot of redcoats, it’s less because you’re “rah rah Amerika” and more because you’re an outlaw, and they’re the law. The one time I’ve killed a redcoat in the presence of a historical figure (Samuel Adams), he admonished me for slaughtering the innocent.

In fact, the “animus database” – i.e. the pop-up with historical information on characters and places you encounter – is written in-character by a very, uh, spirited Brit, who makes little effort to hide his opinion of the “traitors.” There are even some great arguments about the revolution as it relates to the Seven Years War in the present-day mode, with him pointing out that it wasn’t a tremendous amount to ask for the colonies to pay their own price to be protected from the Franco/Indian forces.

All in all, I’ve found it very amusing. As for the game itself, I’m enjoying it immensely, and never felt that the “tutorial” was in fact a “tutorial,” but rather a slow burn as they add features and begin the plot. Some of the scenes are better than many movies in their delivery and atmosphere; even when it’s linear, it’s at least interestingly so.

• Milky1985 says:

Doesn’t really seem more grey area, in fact adding a brit complaining about traitors makes it sound worse tbh

Maybe its just because i now expect ubisofts marketing team to lie in possibly actionable ways with stuff like this and the classic lines such as “yes the PC version is coming out at the same time”, tbh i always said and it still stands that i might actually have some respect for them if they were just sodding honest. If they came out and said “No the PC version is delayed due to piracy concerns” and “no we can’t afford to offend any americans who may get angry about the idea of killing their ancestors”

• The Random One says:

Fifty to one shades of gray

14. Demiath says:

The generously unhurried prologue is by far the best thing about this game, partly because the character which you play is the most memorable (even likeable, to a certain extent) of the entire AssCred series and partly because the prologue tells an intriguing, focused, neatly bookended tale which engaged me far more than the fractured and forced “let’s insert Connor in Historic Moment X” structure of the rest of the campaign.

Aside from the prologue, it’s mostly AC business as usual (which means unresponsive, clumsily contextual controls and incredibly restricted mission design) with a lively and believable open world wrapper that is a definite step up from even the meticulously realized urban environments of AC2 or Brotherhood. There’s still not quite an actual game hidden beneath all the mechanics-related fluff and supposedly “epic” storytelling, but at least the joys of virtual tourism have not been diminished.

15. Yosharian says:

I always felt like the AC games are like playing through hours of tedium in order to get glimpses of really interesting bits. I don’t get why everyone slates the Desmond sections – I like those the best, it’s the assassin bits I find boring because they involve virtually no strategy at all, just press a button at the right time to murder bland NPCs you really don’t care about.

16. El Armonista! says:

I too have been playing this on the PS3 and would advise anyone who is being slightly put off by the 5 hour tutorial to stick with it, because when the game does finally open up it’s beautiful and brilliant. Especially the naval battles. So much so in fact that I’d pay good money for just the ship fighting stuff.

I also like the way you can fire your pistol and then run over to a discarded musket, scoop it up, ire it drop it run over to another and so on. It’s all done very smoothly which is handy, because waiting to reload is for chumps.

I also agree with Demiath above me, your prologue character is particularly memorable.

17. Wut The Melon says:

Buying.
    …if it gets mod support. I trust Ubisoft to create a fantastic world, I don’t trust them to make any game mechanics interesting ,innovative or – god forbid – challenging in the slightest. If they don’t allow the PC crowd to do anything with this game, I don’t think I’ll be interested.

18. 1Life0Continues says:

Hopefully Connor is more likeable than Ezio.

I couldn’t stand Ezio. By the end of AC2, I actually breathed a sigh of relief when the credits rolled. He was brash, completely conspicuous, and everyone knew he was an Assassin. He announced it for chrissakes!

Isn’t the idea to be anonymous? To blend with the crowd and move like you belong? The ornate and over the top robes Ezio collected made him stand out more than blend in, which to me really highlighted how damn stupid the guards in the games are:

“He’s dressed in black in a city full of people wearing browns or whites. He can’t be that hard to find. Oh wait, a group of 5 people, he’s gone now.”

The character annoyed me so much, I didn’t bother with the sequels. Which is annoying, because those damn sequels are still story based, meaning actions in those games will be referenced in AC3, meaning if I play it, I’ll miss a huge chunk of storyline. Stop doing that devs. Or if you’re going to d that, number your games properly. By rights, this should be AC5.

I’ll probably give AC3 a shot when it finally comes out (if my aging beast will run it) but likely I’ll just forget the series exists and move on.

• VilverumFae says:

I loved Ezio. In fact, he might well be one of my favorite game characters, simply because of the way he grows and becomes better through the 3 games, both as an assassin and as a person. The evolution of Ezio as a character is on par with most novels. If you would give the 2nd and 3rd game a try, I’m sure you’d end up liking Ezio a lot more. You might even be a bit sad when it all ends. I’ll try and give you an idea of what I mean without actually spoiling the story:

At the beginning of AC2, Ezio is a brash, naive, cocky boy, full of himself, ignorant of the world around him and not really interested in the greater good. He enjoys the pleasures of life without sparing a moments thought for the lives of the ones around him. But, as the story unfolds, he too grows. By the end of Revelations, he’s a different man. Older and much wiser. Where the young Ezio would’ve rushed head-first, the old Ezio thinks, plans and acts accordingly. He no longer looks for vengeance, but instead tries to do what’s best in order to make the world a better place. He tries to teach others the right path, the Assassin’s Creed. He eventually even grows weary of fighting, not because he’s tired, but because he sees no end to it, only chaos. And in the end [Minor Spoiler Alert] he comes to realize that this was in fact not his story, that he was not meant to end the fighting, but was merely a messenger for another.

I’m sure that if you would play Brotherhood and Revelations, you enjoy them greatly. Both games add enough new gameplay elements to keep you entertained while you play through the (rather good) story. Especially Revelations, which not only ties up the story of Ezio, but also provides quite a few flashbacks to Altair’s final years and the end of his story as well. Not to mention the whole Desmond plot that you might not understand if you skip straight to AC3 (if you’re interested in that part). All in all, it’s a shame to miss out on a couple of great games just because Ezio’s a bit of a dick in the first one :)

• JuJuCam says:

Don’t let the game systems confuse you with the story or character. AAA developers have yet to find a way to allow gameplay to tell the story, particularly the AssCreed devs, so you’re always going to run into these weird shenanigans, and ACIII has not made any progress in that regard. You’re one of very few Native Americans that makes regular incursions into Boston town, and yet all the guards forget that they’re looking for you? It’s a suspension of disbelief shattering problem that impacts almost all open world games to varying degrees. It’s worse in this and GTA4 because of efforts made in the art and writing to get us to take the world seriously.

Furthermore I think the devs are going for a broader interpretation of “assassin” than what the term implies in popular culture. An AC assassin is someone who kills a target, their target being usually Templars. Subtlety is a tool in their arsenal but is by no means a prerequisite for a successful mission. They aren’t ninjas, they’re more generic killers.

19. Alexrd says:

I still think the first game was the best.

20. razgon says:

There are some truly rage-inducing / qutting moments in this game, that defies any reason whatsoever (Counterfeit chase, anyone?) that mars the entire experience.

The series is going more and more towards the old Dragons Lair experience, where all you had to do was press the correct key at the correct moment and then sit back and watch what happens on the screen, and THAT, is a shame.

21. GeorgiaSomer22 says:

I get paid over $87 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I’ve been doing, http://Fox76.com