EA BioWare Mythic Moon Unit Now Just: Mythic

By John Walker on November 8th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

The new official logo.

Mythic have been through more name changes than Prince. The team who first came to attention through their MMO Dark Age Of Camelot as Mythic Entertainment saw their first change when they were snapped up by EA. Their development on the not-so-successful Warhammer: Age Of Reckoning had caught the attention of the big publisher in 2006, and was eventually branded with the name “EA Mythic”. Then come 2008 they changed their married name back to Mythic Entertainment, but only for a year, when EA attempted to splice them with BioWare. Thus BioWare Mythic was born, with the studio helping out on Star Wars: The Old Republic, alongside their own projects. And now, three years on, that seems to be over. While still owned by EA, they’re on their own once more, and from today going by the far more enigmatic: Mythic.

This is because of a “new focus” according to the very brief announcement on the Warhammer site, while saying that nothing else is changing:

“Everything else stays the same – our passionate teams will continue to support and develop our existing titles as well as working on some new and exciting projects.”

Somewhat confusingly, their new website calls them Mythic Entertainment, but this might have more to do with mythic.com clearly being camped on. However, if I were a cannier sort, I might have noticed Paul Barnett’s Twitter account showing photos of the new Mythic offices a couple of weeks ago, without the BioWare logo. Journalism fail.

Their current project is of course Ultima 4 remake, Ultima Forever, about which Adam spoke to lead designer, Kate Flack, earlier this year.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

EA sure are proud of their Bioware brand. Now what about all those other studios that also got the “Bioware” scented candle wax all over their sensitive parts? (like C&C Bioware Victory?)

• Film11 says:

I believe Bioware Victory has also been renamed to just Victory.

• f1x says:

Sometimes you get to think that people ruling the big corporation are just like children

“OMG OMG people love Bioware, lets put the Bioware in everything we do”, after a couple faillures “OMG OMG Bioware means fail now, lets just not put bioware everywhere just in case”

but they get their $$$$$$ pluses and shares anyway so they are not so dumb after all

• RoAE says:

To EA, Bioware was a brand that was popular and respected and EA’s brand is treated like shit so its understandable that EA would like people to think of them in a positive light. Branding is a basic economic practice, but in order for brands to continue to be trusted you have to maintain the quality image of the brand. I guess EA executives aren’t required to take a Micro Econ 101 class…

2. caddyB says:

If only they had like 1 more year to polish Warhammer Online.

• Lev Astov says:

So, you’re saying, “if only they weren’t beholden to EA?”

• f1x says:

I have to say I really enjoyed playing Warhammer Online, the PVP part was absolutely great (except perhaps end game PVP were you could get kind of 1 shoted too often)
      and lots of the things that Warhammer brought to the table back then were later assimilated by new MMOs (and wow), like public partys, open pve events (GW2 just using the same formula), zone captures, sieges, etc

But yes, a bit more polish would’ve been great, if they could’ve just hold a bit more subscriptions for the first months…

3. Brun says:

Slow news day? This just seems to be some random PR shuffling, not sure why this is important…

• pupsikaso says:

Yeah, no clue why this is appearing on RPS, either. I’d expect to see this on a gaming news site like gamasutra, but on a opinion blog this just confuses me.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Instead of getting some kind of official word on what’s happening with THQ, we get this kind of reporting. Slow news day indeed.

• DickSocrates says:

The main point here is that YOU aren’t sure why this is important. If a particular article doesn’t grab you by the balls, move on to the next one.

• killias2 says:

Feel free to disagree, but I actually found it interesting. After the ME3 incident, after the failure of SWTOR, and after the departure of the primary leading forces of BioWare, I find this change notable. Not only does this seem to indicate issues with the BioWare “brand,” but, as Mythic was actually part of the BioWare hierarchy, I wonder if it also represents a shift of management. Is Mythic separating from the BioWare structure? I wish we had more information on that.

4. Danny says:

Oh DaoC, how I’ve loved thee.

• Bhazor says:

Seeing what they were doing three years before WoW was released makes WoW’s success all the sillier.

• rawrty says:

Ah yes, the greatest PvP in an MMO that I have played. I had some hopes about GW2 but it just doesn’t come close to capturing the experience, though it seems to have heavily drawn from it.

And who can forget when stealthers were really stealthers. I’m not sure if that’s ever been reproduced in an MMO to the degree it was in DAoC. Certainly not any I have played.

Oh yeah, also player housing was pretty fun too…The joy I felt after using the meager space of my front yard to create a giant ‘FU’ in decorative stones and coming back to find the rest of the houses in my community had carried on my message, two letters at at time around the whole circle.

• Moraven says:

The Trials requiring huge raids become a big barrier of entry for some PvE content. I think I got through 5 master levels. The ones requiring 10 people were great. The chess battle was always fun (WoW had one also in Karazhan). The pyramids was neat in the fact you did most of it in one group, then everyone got in a raid and were mummies to do the final boss. The big downer to boss mechanics was it was near impossible for caster dps to land spells. Chance to hit was dependent on how many active people were on the boss. Theurgist (who summoned 20 second attack minions) made it possible to hit a boss.

Never did end game pve content really in the first expansion, it needed a lot of people to succeed. (Ruins of Avalon tho, getting down to the dragon, then basically getting burned without doing anything was good fun).

Had some great trophies in my house. Good fun.

I miss the time of massive raids that required organization to succeed. I wish WoW had some world bosses where your blob of a raid can fail instead of zerg to succeed. Maybe if they put in GW2 style guild alliances this could be organized easy enough with capable people.

• Arglebargle says:

When I looked at DAoC, the character customization was awful, and pretty much assured no interest from me. Didn’t like something about the UI as well, but for the life of me, I can’t recall what. But I didn’t care for most of the so called ‘golden age’ MMOs.

• JayTee says:

DAoC’s customisation only improved with the Catacombs expansion when the Gamebryo engine was updated and the character models got a reasonable number of polygons. Though thinking about it, DAoC had more customisation than MMOGs of the day due to dyeable armour, cloaks, and guild emblems. Just your actual character tended to look like everyone else, especially ‘back in the day’ when all armour (pretty much) looked the same.

Ah, DAoC I miss you.

• Vernalagnia says:

Two stories on RPS in one day where I feel it appropriate to gush about DAoC. The best MMO. Even with its absurdly anemic population it still provides a good game every now and then…Only in 14 day spurts though, which is handy since your old accounts get a free two weeks every six months. Come on Matt Frior – make the Elder Scrolls Online beautiful. You know, like WAR would’ve been without EA.

5. Spidery_Yoda says:

I find it rather hilarious that just as the Bioware brand is gaining ground, EA rename half their studios “Bioware X” to capitalise on it despite the fact they have nothing to do with Bioware, and then the Mass Effect 3 thing happened, TOR sank, and suddenly EA backtrack on that branding idea and re-re-name their studios.

6. Lambchops says:

Oh well John, you can always hand in your journalism badge to the stereotypical “journalism commissioner” who is always having a bad day.

7. Kaiji says:

So funny watching EA try to make a royal flush out of a Jack high.

8. Narzhul says:

I guess EA finally realized how much people are starting to hate Bioware EAware?

9. Tuor says:

It’s like legally changing your name away from Adolf…

Godwin achievement: Unlocked.

10. RakeShark says:

I actually talked with Richard Garriott about Ultima Forever, he seems to think the team has their hearts in the right place.

11. James Kulas says:

I was frankly very surprised to learn that Barnett still has a job.

12. Jimbo says:

It’s like they put all their eggs in one basket, then doused the basket in petrol and lobbed it under a steamroller made out of fire.

13. Beelzebud says:

They did it to save Mythic’s reputation.

14. Slinkyboy says:

Still sons of bitches. You know what Valve says about sons of bitches.

15. RagingLion says:

This is interesting because of what it says about Bioware’s standing with EA. The Bombcast predicted this renaming might well happen, not that it was that unlikely.

16. Jenks says:

I can’t imagine having Bioware’s name attached to the upcoming Ultima defiling was going to do any favors for the Bioware brand.

17. Oasx says:

I never understood why Warhammer Online got such a Meh reaction, i thought it was pretty good.

18. Low Life says:

Huh. Just a few weeks back (I guess it was when the doctors left Bioware) the Giant Bomb guys discussed the subject of stripping Bioware from all these studios’ names. I think they even made such a bold statement as “before the end of the year”. Guess they weren’t talking shit, then.

I don’t really see why they’d have Bioware in their name in the first place (apart from that silly marketing standpoint), so all the better.

19. Thoric says:

I guess they’ll ultimately tuck BioWare away in the EA Games division.

Which would be for the best really. Slapping their name on unrelated studios certainly did not help the brand.

20. Erinduck says:

Maybe they should just finally get it over with and rename EA “Bioware” and have divisions like “Bioware Sports” and “Bioware Manshoots.”

Comment on this story