Forcing Change: SWTOR Officially Goes F2P Next Week

By Nathan Grayson on November 9th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

It's like they say: 'Red on yellow will kill a fellow, but red on black is a friend to Jack - unless they're not actually a snake at all but instead a terrifying Sith death lord.

There comes a time in every young MMO’s life when it has to start facing facts and accepting the horrible, domino-like deterministic path cruel fate has set all of us on. Primarily, this means coping with the fact that World of Warcraft looms over its genre compatriots like an imploding sun, and its black-hole-like pull will devour all subscriber money from now until the end of time. Not even Star Wars: The Old Republic – the last great white hope for subs in a post-WoW world – could change that. And so, not even a year after launch, it’ll be flipping the F2P switch on November 15th. But, of course, there are some strings attached.

So there’s the requisite cash shop stocked with exclusive items, which isn’t really a surprise in this day and age. Hopefully, they won’t give anyone an unfair upper hand, but only time (and stats) will tell on that front.

More upsetting, meanwhile, are all the arbitrary restrictions free players have been saddled with. In addition to things like lowered chat access and super limited numbers of instance runs, space battles, and PVP skirmishes, BioWare’s also announced that free players will accrue experience at a significantly slower rate. And though the above video doesn’t mention any oh-so-trendy “boosts” in the Cartel Market, I’d be willing to bet an agonizing night’s stay in a Sarlacc Pit that we’ll see something to that effect.

Admittedly, many of those necessary evils haven’t necessarily been evil in other MMOs. But when Voltroned together, they paint a rather worrisome picture for SWTOR. The implied message still seems to be “Subscribe! Subscribe! Subscribe!” I suppose, though, that a heaping pile of free story content is still significantly better than nothing – even if it’s attached to a fairly traditional MMO. I may weep under the outrageous yolk of SWTOR’s F2P model, but at least HK-51 will be there to dry my tears. Or devour them in vaguely sensual fashion for sustenance/grim pleasure, as it were.

, , , .

1. ran93r says:

I was halfway excited about being able to jump back in when it went F2P but the restrictions do seem quite harsh on paper. I will reserve judgement until I check it out but some of the things being paywalled are features I had gotten used to.
    Still, it’s free I suppose and it’s not like you can’t enjoy yourself farting about with the class stories, will have to see next week how it plays out.

2. f1x says:

Yeah in the end they are going to have a unplayable game unless you subscribe, which makes you think that if people were not subscribing before they won’t start now

• frightlever says:

I’m a VIP subscriber from the start, so I’ve never had to F2P it but LOTRO seems to have the right idea. The game is perfectly playable as is, but if you want to unlock certain classes or the end game content then you’re going to pay.

They launched SWTOR with, what, eight character classes and story arcs. They should have locked half of those away from F2P unless they were bought. In future they are going to have to put together a ton of content if they want to add an extra couple of classes (one light side, one dark side) and have it on a par with the original classes as far as story goes. So in LOTRO they can add a character class by balancing it and adding some specific quests, in SWTOR every class is going to need a virtual blockbuster to tell their story and yet they’re giving all those original story rich characters away for free. Mugs.

• Jandau says:

No, no, no, no…

LotRO has a vastly more restrictive model than TOR. ALL the content besides the starter areas is locked away. You get almost nothing for free. TOR is giving you all the leveling content and access to all normal dungeons. Yes, it’s a limited number of times per week, but if you’re playing casually you likely won’t be running more than a handful of dungeons every week. And you get PvP. Yes, it is also limited to a number of times per week, but LotRO doesn’t even give you that.

LotRO is a glorified trial for a Pay2Play game. It holds almost all its content behind the paywall and gives only the smallest taste. TOR looks like it’ll offer a LOT more free content. I wish people would stop holding up LotRO as the paragon of F2P. It’s not. It’s a nickel&dime scheme that saved a near-dead MMO. Its model is a success only for its developers and not for the customers.

I’m not saying LotRO is bad or good or if it’s worth the money or not, but if people insist on calling out TOR over its restrictions, then at least be realistic and acknowledge that it’s still better than LotRO…

• f1x says:

Lotro is more restrictive in terms of content, but if I’m not mistaken they are not crippling your very every step
          But yes you are right, LoTRO is not a great example

Still the problem is SWTOR restrictions are mostly annoyances, they seem to be saying “hey dont wanna feel annoyed, then pay”, like sprint, dungeon/space battle limitations, and now knowning that you will recieve also less experience, that will mean you have to grind in between questing probably,
          Of course for example, Sprint: when you pay 1 time you get it forever, but thats not the point because the way they made it feels like you are being fooled

Also the point of F2P in the end is also bringing life back to the servers so the veteran have “people to play with”, for that issue this F2P models is failing hard aswell:
          So you are a subscriber and want some people to run dungeons with or faster popping Battelgrounds? Oh sorry, they are capped to 3 dungeons/BGs a week, totally missed the chance to resurrect the game

• Jandau says:

LotRO didn’t let me use a LOT of features. Neither did DDO. These went beyond annoyance into unplayable territory. Yes, revitalizing the game is the idea, but at least TOR will put SOME people in dungeons as opposed to LotRO who didn’t even give you the 3 attempts (I think they upped it to 5 recently). Same with DDO.

TOR’s model is one of the more generous as far as F2P MMOs go, at least the ones with a decent game behind them, not some shitty Asian money grab. Granted, maybe I’ve just played the wrong games.

But seriously, point me to a F2P MMO (an actual MMO, not LoL or WoT or some other match-based multiplayer game) that’s no more than 3-4 years old, isn’t shit and has a more generous model than TOR. I’m not trying to be sarcastic or anything, I’d honestly like to see a decent F2P MMO where I can actually play for free and then spend money if I like the game…

• f1x says:

Well, AION for example has a decent model, only problem is servers are laggy

I cannot point any that is more generous than TOR, but that doesnt make TOR generous or a good model AT ALL, its still a shitty model, and worse because of what they marketed when they first announced going F2P
            Plus, another really bad thing about TORs F2P is that (unless i’m wrong) you cannot purchase anything with in game gold, which is a missed opportunity to hook people into the game with the promise (even if false) that maybe they can get everything just by farming

But I can point different models (not F2P) that worked good (in bringing back people or keeping population which is the final goal of any MMO):
            -Rift trial (free until level 20)
            -WoW triall model and resurrection scrolls (on one hand gets people back and on the other lets you play the game enough to see if its worth a subscription)
            -GW1 and GW2 model (You get all the content, and if you pay you get commodities, but you can still pay everything with in game gold and there is nothing in the store that can empower your char over non-payers)

So perhaps the biggest problem here is TOR going F2P instead of chosing a business sysmte that fitted the game better

• Solanaceae says:

I would MUCH rather have all the story content for free like SWTOR is doing and deal with a few minor annoyances (you get sprint at 15 regardless so it’s not a huge deal) then have to pay for any story content.

Frankly I see little reason to complain, they’ve gone the best possible route (at least for someone like me who is only interested in the story and not in the MMO elements) short of going straight up LoL and only charging for custom skins.

As it is, they’re giving the best part of the game away.

• f1x says:

Sprint was avaliable from lvl 1 after some patch, but with F2P you dont get it until you pay at least once for something

• RavenGlenn says:

And yet, as someone who has been playing LotRO since it released, I pay nothing to play the game now. Why? Because I was a subscriber and I bought the expansions. I have no need any longer to actually pay to play the game to my heart’s content.

That’s the thing about LotRO. Yes, you’re going to have to pay money at some point to play the whole game OR you’ll spend a rather lengthy amount of time in-game to earn in-game currency to unlock whatever it is you want. You have options, but the end result is that paying a little money for your entertainment is not unreasonable.

The exact same thing will happen with TOR, and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. And at the moment, TOR doesn’t let you pay to unlock the things you want outside of a subscription. In LotRO, you can pay for exactly what you want without ever having to subscribe if you don’t wish to.

On top of that, subscribing for even one month removes a slew of restrictions and gets you some in-game currency to spend as you wish. I’d say in the long run, that’s a better system than TOR’s where they only give you the story(LotRO gives you the full story as well, just not the rest of the quests) and they restrict your chat, your leveling speed, your instances, your pvp, etc. In LotRO, once you unlock something it is yours permanently.

• Nurdell says:

If you want f2p that is made right, try Atlantica online. It’s a shame not many people know about that one, but maybe some are just scared about vastly different gameplay. Yes, it’s a little on the pay to win side but it’s not the gear that wins battles in pve and pvp. And you can do stuff while you grind like winning 2k fights while having 2 less mercenaries, leveling up mercs by giving them finishing blows and aiming at specific resourses by roulette-like system.

• malkav11 says:

But LOTRO and DDO -are- paragons of the “F2P” business model. They’re almost the only ones doing it right. Because it is ultimately a business model. The label “free to play” for this business model is misleading and unfortunate because it suggests that the game should be wholly free. But obviously if the game is in fact completely free, there is not going to be any money coming in to support server upkeep, let alone continued development on the game. So if you’re going to generate income while still offering some level of free content, you essentially have two options: make the purchasables completely optional temporary boosts and cosmetic items (which as far as I can tell only really works if you’ve built the game around that model and every game I have ever tried that did was grindy as all get out), or let people buy game content and functionality on an a-la-carte basis. Every sub MMO to “F2P” conversion I’ve ever seen does the latter, but only LOTRO and DDO do it right by letting you buy virtually everything a-la-carte and not forcing you to subscribe for anything significant. Also, unlike most of the other MMOs that have transitioned this way, if you do subscribe or had previously subscribed you retain access to many of the benefits of subscription after reverting to free player status. Characters created during that time have all the one-time-purchase perks of subscriber characters, your character slots are retained even if in excess of the free limits, etc. And they’ve never pulled crap like making free players play on separate servers (EQ2), crippling their exp rate (SWTOR, apparently?), locking off existing characters (Champions) or otherwise making it untenable to play a nonsubscription character.

If you absolutely refuse to spend any money at all, I suppose SWTOR’s version is “better” (and still likely to be frustrating and obnoxious enough not to be worthwhile). If you’re willing to pay as and when your interest in the game justifies the expense but don’t want the hassle and commitment of an ongoing subscription, LOTRO and DDO have a far better approach. I am obviously firmly in the latter camp.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I agree, LOTRO does it right. They don’t lock away areas like someone above falsely stated. You can go anywhere that’s not an expansion pack, you just won’t get the high level quests there.
            Basically LOTRO is completely free until you’re a pretty serious player (approx. lvl 30-40) and by then you might want to spend some money. But yeah, you can play LOTRO for a few months without any desire to spend a dime.

• f1x says:

And thats actually as I said before the point of F2P games,
            They have to hook you first, and then you will be sort of “willing to pay”, but you have to be actually enjoying it before start trowing your cash

SW:TOR on the other hand seems to be strongly decided to force you to pay before getting some fun

• devlocke says:

You don’t technically have to pay for anything in LOTRO. If you don’t mind grinding deeds/farming TP, you can unlock every bit of content without paying a dime, as far as I know. I picked up all of the content I needed to get through to level 75 with Turbine Points I earned in the game, anyways. I ended up subscribing for a bit, but at this point, if I stop subbing, I think the only area I would lose access to is the arctic one that I found dull, because I’ve earned enough (over five characters, sure, but without grinding for Turbine Points with any of them) TP to buy all of the expansions and everything.

Anyways, that was long, the short version: You don’t have to pay any money to play LOTRO. You can pay with money, or you can pay with time, and if you choose to pay with time, that’s your call. Nothing is arbitrarily kept from you because you elected to pay with time, rather than with currency.

I get the impression that isn’t the case with TOR: there are certain things that if you don’t use cash, you can’t ever get in game. I think they’re all things I don’t really care about, but still. Describing TOR as being a better model because they give you story for free, but make you pay for everything else, seems silly to me. Because with the LOTRO model, you can never pay, and still get everything you want.

3. Discopanda says:

SO MANY strings attached.

4. Elevory says:

I feel like I’ve seen this article five or six times now.

Stellar Duck says:

“I may weep under the outrageous yolk of SWTOR’s F2P model[...]”

I too think they could have hatched a better plan for F2P from the egg that is The Old Republic.

6. frightlever says:

“deterministic path cruel fate has set all of us on”

Advocates of determinism generally poo poo the concept of fate, but “fatalistic path cruel fate has set all of us on” would be kinda redundant so I’d have gone with the drier, but more accurate, “pre-determined path cruel fate has set all of us on”.

Didn’t get much beyond that because I really didn’t enjoy SWTOR, and am unlikely to, at any price.

AmateurScience says:

To be fair, the story stuff is pretty much the only compelling reason to play this over any other MMO, this being one of the least M and M, O games I’ve played in some time, so it’s good that’s the bit which is free to access.

Once I have stopped being irritated with myself for actually paying money for this game I may well return and play through the various story, what I’d already experienced in the Imperial Agent storyline was pretty cool, and made me sad that there aren’t more games in the SW setting that have a protagonist that is not a mystic starchild.

8. Xyth says:

So much more could have been done with this game for all the money spent on it. I just re-subbed to see what has changed in the game and play through my main storyline. But the world is even deader than I remember. I like the story, but I wish it were just a single-player or co-op rpg.

I just can’t bear the dull and lifeless worlds I have to grind through to get to the next chunk of my story. It’s just not worth it.

If I want to play an mmorpg, there is WoW. There is Rift with a new expansion coming. GW2 is btp. There is TESO launching next year, which may or may not suck. Why would I pay a sub for this (or put up with the ftp restrictions) when I have these other choices for any reason other than “it’s Star Wars”?

I’m sad for SWTOR, but it’s just not worth the money to me and there is so much more to do. I’m just playing my lifetime sub to TSW and enjoying that. TSW seems about the same as SWTOR population wise, but I enjoy both the story and the gameplay more. And Planetside 2 and Darkfall: Unholy Wars launch on the 20th. I just don’t see having the time to play SWTOR, even if it is ftp.

But I think a lot of people will have fun with their stories, so good for them. I hope this game can survive and grow into something better than it is now. Otherwise, kill it and give us a new and better Star Wars universe.

• Archipelagos says:

The budget is what infuriates me too. All that money — and let’s not beat around the bush here, it was insanely huge, small countries have spent less on their budgets — and Bioware spent it on a tired, dated experience that did very little new. I can understand smaller studios re-hashing similar gameplay because they don’t have the budget to experiment but Bioware had NO excuse and quite frankly it makes the end-result unforgivable. They had a real chance to move MMO’s forward — and the medium badly, badly needs to go forward — and they screwed it up royally with what looks like a total lack of effort or courage.

As I said, unforgivable.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I agree with your sentiment but you have the business side of it wrong. It is BECAUSE of the huge budget that they were not allowed to experiment. That’s how the industry works- big budget means high production values in a proven genre, no risks with experimental features or changes to a tried-and-true formula.

• RaytraceRat says:

yup, same thing with Hollywood sticking to sequels, remakes etc, and small film makers pushing the boundaries.

• Arglebargle says:

Good call. As an example, I recall the shock and awe in the attitudes of Hollywood reporters and other doyen when James Cameron spent all that money on a film with an original story. No established IP! Inconceivable!

• f1x says:

But guys… there are FANTASTIC exclusive items in the Cartel market

9. Senthir says:

Almost all of that is totally fair: SWTOR has a bunch of totally fantastic single-player story missions and companion missions that aren’t restricted by the f2p system.

The part that isn’t is the experience gain. Running out of missions to do at your level was totally possible with the regular rate of experience gain. You would have to do space missions or PVP to put you over the threshold. Granted, that normally only happened if you just blitzed through the game without slowing down, accruing offline experience or something along those lines, but still!

Since Warzones, Instances and Space Battles are restricted on F2P accounts, making up for that “significantly reduced experience gain” is going to be very, very difficult and frankly unfair to F2P players.

• DrOwn says:

I agree. If I had to start grinding space missions or PvP just to be able to get to a new zone, I’d probably just stop playing.

• hyzhenhok says:

What? You’re joking, right?

If you do every quest on a planet, you end up at the top of the level bracket for the next planet even before you set foot there. It’s easily possible in vanilla swtor to skip entire planets (except for your personal story quests).

My guess is the f2p xp slowing makes it so you have to play through each planet fully to keep on pace. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing; personally I feel frustrated when I’m playing an MMO and I rapidly outlevel content before I’m finished with it.

10. alm says:

The initial deal breaker for me was that none of my friends liked it. I treat MMOs more like potential co-ops with people I know. I’d go back and give it a bash for free as I was kinda enjoying the Sith Inquisitor storyline, (the other ones I played, not so much) but to hear that xp is limited in F2P I fear would hamper the flow of the story which is dealbreaker #2.

11. sdancer says:

Boo-hoo, I don’t get to play it all for free. Life sucks, get a fucking helmet.

Anyway, why I’m here (again): what is it with the WoW comparisons? Everyone with half a brain has, by now, realised that WoW is actually the odd one out in the MMO scene. Yes, it has millions of subscribers. So? That doesn’t make games that don’t actually worse or inferior, it primarily means that other games have… uh… fewer subscribers. It’s kind of like millions and millions people reading tabloids, yet nobody would actually accuse those of good journalism. They fill some deep-seated need for trash in many people, which works great for them.

Granted, game studios tend to not have half a brain, and they still try to make OLOLOL THE WOW KILLER!!!1!, and predictably, fall on their face with that and the inherently broken business plan attached to it. Get over it. Players, play what you enjoy, and quit that incessant whining. Studios and publishers, stop trying to make something that depends on 7-digit subscriber numbers, go for low-ish 6 digits, and let’s have some long-term fun without the doom and gloom attached (also, try to build shit on your own IP, creative freedom is good).

• alm says:

What whining?

• sdancer says:

Have you ever looked at any MMO-related conversation? ;-)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

sorry to point this out but your comment is probably one of the longest whines on the page

• Arglebargle says:

A bit ranty? Yeah. I can’t find much to disagree with in the meat of his argument though.

12. Bushcat says:

Yeah well, mmo’s are out.
    So what? One did it good.
    So what.Move on.
    I love stalking mans at 1500 meters, Arma 2.And running and gunning up close,Bf3.
    I also wish that Silent Storm was snapped up and turned into a billion dollar franchise,but guess what?Boo fucking hoo,it didnt happen.
    Man,ive had 3 jobs and grown and sold my living in the time it took the execs at E.A to WTF up.
    Please excuse all grammar as a product of the F.U School.
    Well done America! U did good!

13. Frosty840 says:

I’ve said it before, I don’t want to play an MMO.

I’d pay to play this game not as an MMO, without having to deal with all the grindy “keep paying us money and we’ll eventually allow you to earn enough XP to play some more of the game, one of these days” crap that I just don’t ever want to deal with, ever.

Lock me away from the multiplayer dudes, and essentially let me “cheat” my way through the game as fast as I see fit to do so, so that I’m not “paying to win” at the game they’re all playing, and I’d be perfectly happy to pay, I dunno, a tenner for each of the singleplayer campaigns. Maybe. If they don’t suck. But certainly a tenner for the first one, to try it out.

• Vorphalack says:

”I dunno, a tenner for each of the singleplayer campaigns. Maybe. If they don’t suck.”

Of the two I played through, with a couple of notable mission exceptions, the entire stories suck. As an example, the Sentential story is basically a mash up of the original trilogy involving a space based planet killing super weapon (built by Darth Angrel no less……yeah really, Angrel : | ) and a final personal confrontation with the Sith emperor, which might be the most disappointing finale to any game i’ve ever played. It’s utter garbage. You couldn’t make a b-movie with the story mission content. It’s also worth mentioning that if you ignore the MMO filler content, the personal stories are extremely short, probably less than 10 hours each. I wouldn’t pay a tenner for the lot.

• lumenadducere says:

The Imperial Agent story is actually really good and blows all the others away by a long shot. When I used to play it was generally regarded as the best one, with a few others following close behind. The general consensus is/was that Agent is the best, and Jedi Knight is the most similar to what KotOR III would have been – it involves and references characters from the prior 2 games.

But I’d heartily recommend the Imperial Agent campaign. It’s exactly what I wanted out of the game when I first heard about it (what is it like to live as a regular person in a Sith-dominated world?) and not only explores that but it lets you get a nice, refreshing look at the IP that frequently gets overshadowed by the mooks running around with laser swords and jetpacks. With the F2P option the game is worth the time to play through that, at least.

Stellar Duck says:

The Agent story made me want to smack every Sith round the head for being morons. If they’d just keep to themselves and the the public servants and military run the Empire it would be just dandy. As it is it seems like 85% of the employees have to waste their time cleaning up after Sith power struggles.

• DrOwn says:

There are some good story bits in the game. But unfortunately only the most hardcore fans will be able to enjoy even most of it. *At most* 10% of the quests you get to play as a certain class are actually class quests. So if you want to try another class, 90% of your time will be spent on grinding through generic, kill-10-space-lizards quests that you’ve even already done before. Even if you choose to play on the faction you haven’t played on yet, you’re still going to play in the same zones, and it’s not like those 90% are really worth your time anyway.

14. tigershuffle says:

for the obstinately lazy people out there…….”me”

what is the cheapest a cheapskate can pay to have some semblance of a good time in TOR,
    One off payment = £
    and/or monthly =£

please put it on an easily digestable plate for me ……ill do the washing up later honest

• sdancer says:

Well, depends on your definition of a good time. The story part along with all related “open-world” PvE can IMO be had for zero of your currency units. You may run into stuff you can’t wear or quests that need some other player to help you or some grinding to get up to level due to the slower overall leveling, but there’s nothing really blocking the way.

After that, or if you absolutely love doing instanced content (flashpoints, PvP, endgame raids), you’re IMO better off with a subscription. If you just do that stuff rarely, time will tell how viable or how much cheaper the pay-per-play approach really is.

The subscription would be 13€/month, maybe 10£?

15. TheXand says:

Too bad their F2P model sucks ass compared to LotRO.

16. bodydomelight says:

The implied message still seems to be “Subscribe! Subscribe! Subscribe!”

It’s almost as if they’re running a for-profit company or something. Anyone would think they have servers to keep running.

• malkav11 says:

It’s almost as if transitioning to free to play costs time, effort, and money, currently being invested to…get people to sign back up under their existing business model. F2P is a viable alternate business model if you do it right. “I guess you can buy some stuff but really you ought to just subscribe” is not doing it right.

• bodydomelight says:

It’s a game designed without free-to-play in mind, though. Seemingly at least. Awkwardly pushing one into the middle of the subscription system 11 months after launch was always going to be more of a poor man’s SWTOR/extended trial than a true F2P system. It might be finessed further down the line into a viable continual F2P option, LOTRO-style. But right now, of course it’s about trying to pick up more subscribers because that is how the game is being paid for.

And frankly I kind of don’t see what the fuss is about. For casual players this setup seems fine. It’s just not practical if you PvP or run instances frequently. But surely if you do that, you should be subscribing to get the full benefit of the game?

I’m not one to cry ‘entitled’ at every turn (that’s not true, I totally am) but I thought the article smacked a little too much of outrage that Bioware weren’t giving everything away for free.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

It doesn’t matter if it was designed with F2P in mind or not, they need to get their shit together and do true F2P as a model instead of subscription or they just won’t have a game to push anymore

• malkav11 says:

LOTRO and DDO weren’t designed with F2P in mind either. But instead of putting together a half-assed and punitive model designed to funnel players into subscribing (which is misguided because people that want to subscribe have had that option since launch), Turbine made F2P an actual viable alternative, and they did it the moment they implemented the model. This resuscitated both games to the point where they are being actively expanded and are making far more money than they did before. It’s an open question whether SWTOR can recreate that kind of success, but they’re not going to do it by trying to annoy people into subscribing.

17. HothMonster says:

“BioWare’s also announced that free players will accrue experience at a significantly slower rate. ”

Quick, if you look now you can still see my interest disappearing over those distant hills.

18. cyrenic says:

At launch they’ll announce their final feature for free players: A Bioware representative will come to your house, watch you play, and flick you in the crotch every 30 seconds until you buy something in the store.

19. Audiemurphy135 says:

I don’t see why everyone is worried about all of the restrictions. I mean, if all you care about is the story (which, if you’re playing it for free, chances are that’s what you’re playing it for anyways), then they aren’t really going to affect you much. From what I understand they aren’t restricting any of the classes, so you’re getting potentially hundreds, even thousands of hours worth of content without paying a penny. If anything, they’re being a bit generous with what they’re giving you, especially considering this is EA we’re talking about.

The whole thing seems like it was designed specifically for those of us who wanted to enjoy the story of the game, but weren’t willing to pay a subscription fee for what’s otherwise a very average game (mechanics wise). I’m certainly looking forward to playing this.

20. zotiun says:

From the video : “So if you are a lightsaber wielder you can now replace your light saber with an axe”

Seriously !?

So I can stop using probably the most iconic weapon in the Star Wars universe and pay money to replace it for something that would look more at home being swung around by Gimli!

Considering their free to play has been on the horizon for some time, that shows a serious lack of imagination.