Chrono Disfunglement Takes Braid, Adds Dimensions

By Nathan Grayson on November 10th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

It also adds quite a bit of purple.

I still don’t know what disfunglement means (it sounds rather painful), but I must admit to being quite impressed after playing a bit of Chrono Disfunglement‘s work-in-progress IGF build. In short, the seductively psychadelic puzzle-platformer allows nigh-unlimited control over the forces of time – ala Braid. There is, however, a slight twist to the formula that ends up making many of the puzzles radically different. See, CD actually offers two flavors of history-rewriting: entire world and individual object. Among other things, that allowed me to pull the block/switch puzzle equivalent of tying a string to a coin, dropping it in a candy machine, and then yanking it back out. Take that, The Establishment.

Most of the puzzles I got the chance to play were pretty basic, but also exceedingly promising. For one, CD taught me its rules (even the quirkier ones) in the span of only a few levels, which is incredibly appreciated given that I’ve also been dabbling in some Assassin’s Creed III: You Are Dumb And Must Be Cased In Protective Bubblewrap For Several Hundred Hours lately.

More importantly, though, the elements those opening puzzles displayed were fairly unique. For instance, one had me push a block past the button it needed to be on in order to get a boost onto another platform. But then, after thinking for a moment, I realized I just needed to rewind the block all on its lonesome, sending it back to the switch. The trailer, meanwhile, shows off puzzles that involve riding blocks through the air, making opposing objects collide and cease to exist, and a few other potentially (at least, if elaborated on over time) clever mechanics.

I’m looking quite forward to seeing where this one ends up (not to mention messing around with the IGF build a little more), but for now, you can give it a go for free. I suggest you do, lest you show up at a super hip indie game party one day, only to realize that everyone else is disfungling all over the place and you have no idea where to even begin. I mean jeez, it’s not that complicated.

(what is disfunglement please someone help me)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. MarkN says:

Sounds like the creators of this have read Vonnegut’s Sirens of Titan to me. The protagonist (and his dog) accidentally enter a chrono-synclastic infundibulum and so become aware of the past and future. Brilliant book – highly recommended.

2. Frank says:

Nice game, battleships (not warning) forever guy. Didn’t realize digipen had a singapore location.

3. Wedge says:

Will it be the next hot Digipen puzzler for Valve to poach? Kinda surprised that school is still going with the downturn in the industry. It would seem an impractically expensive degree for such a small field and unnecessary if you plan to work below the major studio level. Anyone that graduates from there is likely well above your average CS major, but I wonder how much help the degree is if you have to get a job outside gaming.

• MondSemmel says:

I don’t really read news about the wider games industry. You are saying there is a downturn? In what way, shape or form?

4. The Random One says:

Disfunglement (n) (origin displace + fungi + emplacement) The act of forcefully removing one from a bunker carved out of a mushroom. (Source: Oneiropolis University Compendium of Totally Useful Terms, Darker than Black Edition).

5. usonfj says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

6. th15 says:

Disfunglement is the process of undoing funglement.

Glad you guys liked the game. There is a proper official website for the game now, it’s up at:

7. Zelius says:

So this isn’t a new Chrono Trigger sequel? Damnit.

8. yruudios says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

9. nemryn says:

Braid had puzzles like that, like the 1 key / 2 doors one.

Comment on this story