Fall In For Firefall Beta Weekends

By Nathan Grayson on November 10th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Maybe they don't want to fight at all. Maybe they just want to be held.

Firefall. Among the made-up words I’ve met in my many travels, it definitely stands out as quite, er, aggressive. I mean, there’s fireĀ and falling involved. Both tend to perform their designated actions in fairly short order – leaving behind little question as to what happened and usually also some form of smoking crater. And yet, for all that, Firefall the game is taking its sweet time en route to release, polishing up an extended beta with no intentions of going live (or even into open beta) until its good and ready. But now, you can at least drop in for a brief stay in Red 5′s colorful world of shooting and looting. And by “drop in,” I mean never actually touch the ground for more than three seconds at a time, because jetpacks.

First off, you’ll need to register here, which will put you in the running to take part in any of three upcoming beta weekends – the first of which will kick off in, er, hours ago. Each one runs 48 hours, though, so you might still be able to pull this off. I believe in you.

Each beta weekend will focus on a different element of the game. This weekend, for instance, is all about thumping. What will you thump? Why, the whole world, of course. That, as science has taught us, is how mining is done. But where there are precious minerals being ker-biff-thwocked out of a planet, there are of course monsters who desperately want to know what all the fuss is about. They are also hungry. You do the math. Actually, don’t, because computations waste time you could spend not getting devoured by spike-legged bug monsters.

November 30th, meanwhile, will focus on population control – which seems to suggest more baddie squashing, except for the good of your fellow man instead of your space-bank account. Finally, December 7th will see the evil Chosen forces invade and try to fashion New Eden into the spitting image of old Eden – which is to say non-existent. It will probably be in your best interest to stop them.

So, who’s jumping in? Also, has anyone jumped back in fairly recently? Firefall’s been evolving substantially over the course of its beta, but has it been change for the better?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. 1Life0Continues says:

Looking forward to this.

Been registered since about February, eagerly awaiting an invite. I would spring for Founder status, except I want to play and find out if it’s any good (for me) before I lay down money.

I’m hoping they really flesh out the PvE content, since that’s where I’ll focus most of my time. I don’t like the elitism of PvP (in my experience) and I’m not the twitchiest player, so I’d be a detriment to the team anyway.

Crossing my fingers for beta access this weekend.

2. Promethean says:

I played the beta for quite a bit, but to be honest it got stale a little too quickly. After the initial quest mission which lasted about 15 mins, all that was left to do was grind for resources via thumping, or take on the Chosen incursions. Thumping itself was quite the rinse/repeat affair to a point where you could predict what monsters were coming and when, and the incursions were either marred by the fact the AI was broken and didn’t shoot back, or when it did work no one would band together to take them on.

It’s tempting to see if anything’s changed as of late (beyond giving us stuff to buy with real money), but with so many good games coming out in quick succession, I’ve neither had the desire nor the inclination to act on it.

• The_Mess says:

Recent PVE patch changed thumper spawns, they’re more dynamic and you can only solo the small thumper now ;)

Tried doing the improved one and had my arse handed to me by the mobs.

3. CedaVelja says:

Without the EU servers game is almost unplayable for me so until that hits and it seems they are in no hurry to get there, i wont be playing it.

But the good news is that i have 4 INVITES TO GIVE.
    So if anyone is looking forward to the beta they can post their mail here and i will get them the access.

4. Bobzer says:

Reminds me a bit of Tabula Rasa, I miss that game.

5. The_Mess says:

Tip if you get in – don’t rush into T1 PVP, learn your class in PVE, get some upgrades, even watch some matches or replays. Otherwise your easy targets for old hands like me when I can’t find a T2 PVP match or want some practice at landing air shots.

Especially as the matchmaker is sadistic.

6. ScubaMonster says:

I’m in beta and the game is actually fairly good. I’d be playing it more if I didn’t have other things I want to play instead.

7. c3po says:

I’ll go ahead and do this month’s good deed… Firefall beta key: UIG3L-YFDNS-JBLXJ-AAM51
    Just comment when/if you use it, so other people won’t lose their time trying it out.

• diamondmx says:

It says it’s tied to a particular email address, which I guess means someone already used it.

• c3po says:

Guess next time i’ll just aks for emails, since people can’t even bother to let others know that they’ve already used the key… argh, live and learn…

8. Cryo says:

Please don’t give money to worthless piece of shit orson scott card.

• RvLeshrac says:

I didn’t know Orson Scott Card was writing for the game. I can see it now – Plot twist: All of the monsters you’re fighting are homosexual rapists, and the purple mist turns you gay.

• adammtlx says:

Wow, that’s classy. Someone disagrees with your morality and ideology so your solution is to lower yourself by dehumanizing them. Someone get this guy a gold star.

9. dE says:

I wanted to like it, but I bounced right off the lag. It’s unplayable to me, until it speaks Europe. Shooting, waiting for 2 seconds (no exageration) before the shot actually registers – and naturally misses – isn’t exactly playable.
    I’ll try again once they fire up a european server.

10. Baines says:

I never got in the beta, and ultimately forgot about the game.

Now I’ve got other stuff to play, and my friends (who also never got in the beta previously) have found other things to occupy their time as well.

11. usonfj says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

12. Voice of Majority says:

I tried it and it is kind of fun. The tutorial quests are boring, but it is not really a quest based game. Should get more interesting with the introduction of the Chosen war front.
    No major issues with lag despite playing from Europe.

13. neofit says:

The shooty part is quite well done, I’m in Europe, tried it early in the morning and there was almots no lag. The mobs were dying a fraction of a second too late, but besides that the game felt like a real FPS. But it’s not for me though. The style is way too manga-y for my taste.

Comment on this story