The Best Things In Death (Rally) Are Free This Weekend

By Nathan Grayson on November 10th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

I have to say, I appreciate games that let us know what they’re all about upfront. These days, the industry revels in adding subtitles to subtitles, but there’s something to be said for simplicity, grace, and handsome elegance. That in mind, DEATH RALLY. It’s a rally in which everyone dies. Constantly. Beautiful. It is, of course, a remake of Remedy’s top-down classic with a new paint job and a few tweaks under the hood, which probably explains why it’s not called, say, Race Carr’s Armenian Fastdrive. Also, it’s free this weekend. Huzzah!

All you need to do is go queue up a download on Steam, and you’re good to. You’ve got until Sunday afternoon to kill as many cars as you can. Are you up to the challenge? Do you have the solid steel nerves needed to fire a gun and make something explode in a videogame?

If you end up digging it, there’s also a 50 percent off sale running until Monday. And while I never played the original (blasphemous, I know), this version’s quite gratifying. Bunch together, blow everyone apart, rinse, repeat. It even looks pretty nice – especially given that it was originally a mobile game.

Here’s a trailer to give you an idea of what you’re in for. You know, if the name DEATH RALLY didn’t already accomplish that.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Carra says:

All it’s missing is pedestrians to run over.

jezcentral says:

Then try Zombie Driver HD. :)

More squishing than you can shake a stick at.

2. Suits says:

a nice cure for boredom

3. Didero says:

After playing it a bit, it seems dumbed down compared to the original.
    For one, you don’t have to aim or fire your basic machine gun. If there’s a different car in sight, it’ll auto-fire. Secondly, you have to unlock and upgrade different weapons, whereas in the original all you needed for different loadouts was the cash. Related, as far as I know, you can’t save up cash. After every race, you have to spend it all on upgrades. Unlocking new weapons and new cars requires you to pick up a certain number of metal pickups during races, with each contributing to a specific unlock. In the original all that was required to move up was cash.
    It’s been a little while since I played the original, so my judgment may be a bit skewed with nostalgia, but the original seems to me the better game, with a better sense of progression. Furthermore, the original is completely free to download as well, and not just this weekend.

Keymonk says:

Honestly, it has nothing with nostalgia to do. It’s not very good. The lack of control of your weapons makes it really bloody annoying in deathmatch, for instance. You can’t anticipate where the enemy will be and fire accordingly, and the lack of aiming is quite obnoxious for the same reason. The part gathering seems to just be padding out the length of the game as well. The basic driving works well enough, but most everything else seem awkward and annoying to me.

Edit: I haven’t played the original, so that’s why I don’t think it’s nostalgia.

• Stromko says:

It seems more like an experiment than a real game. I can just imagine the pitch. Person 1: “Hey would people pay for a game that is very bad but is just chock full of unlocks and achievements?” Person 2: “Why don’t we try to make the game good, too?” Person 1: “Get out.”

The driving model feels very sloppy, and you don’t even have a handbrake button as far as I could tell. You can’t have a goddamn game with cars in it without a goddamn handbrake button! It just doesn’t FEEL good.

• The Random One says:

Person 1: THAT WOULD RUIN THE EXPERIMENT

By itself asking for different things instead of just money is OK on its own, but very poorly implemented because you have to go out of your way to pick up the power-ups and you don’t know what they’ll unlock until you’ve picked it up. This goes against your main goal of winning the race. In fact, most of the goals in this game seem to be stacking up aganst some other goal.

I tried it yesterday and already deleted it.

4. Yosharian says:

Gameplay seems a bit slow, not exactly the crazy fast micro machines gameplay i was expecting

Thermal Ions says:

If you own other Remedy titles on Steam you will actually get 65% off rather than the default 50%.

I’ve played a few hours of it, some multiplayer and it’s a bit of grindy fun.

Be aware if you’re having problems with the multiplayer, make sure you and your friends are choosing the same map within about 5 seconds of each other and it should work most of the time. I’ve tried getting the private channel option working however it seems to fail about 90% of the time.

6. Misnomer says:

“I have to say, I appreciate games that let us know what they’re all about upfront. These days, the industry revels in adding subtitles to subtitles, but there’s something to be said for simplicity, grace, and handsome elegance. That in mind, DEATH RALLY. It’s a rally in which everyone dies. ”

Wait what?

Shouldn’t this have been RALLYFACE meme thread? I am pretty much sold on the fact that RPS just doesn’t like military shooters now and they are held to a completely different standard (not saying Warfighter deserved to be liked post release, but pre-release it was slammed just for existing).

Keymonk says:

I guess the difference is that contemporary/modern shooters tend to like to seem gritty and realistic, so names like Warfighter are a bit off?

That’s my impression at least.

7. Miltrivd says:

The game is awful, bad and sluggish controls, slow gameplay, dumbed down compared to the original one (infinite ammo, auto aim, no cash administration or choice, unlock gimmicks), the racing itself seems to have not much importance. Besides the car names I don’t see any resemblance (not even the camera, which a bit annoying being top down, gave you a lot more control over the car).

As someone already pointed out, the original is completely free (http://www.joystiq.com/game/death-rally/download/death-rally-for-windows-full-game/) and it’s still a pretty good game, one of the few that doesn’t leave my PC since it’s still fun to play once in a while. Runs with no problems in Windows 7. I really don’t know why you slap an old name in a new one, if you don’t want to keep what made the original great. Even with a simple game like this, skill was a thing in it, once you understood the mechanics and knew the AI opponents, you could manage wins or high places against really superior vehicles in certain tracks, giving you a good boost but risking being destroyed in the process.

Play the original tho, it doesn’t disappoint.

• Stromko says:

I’d have to agree with all of the above. Steam says I played for 40 minutes, but it felt like hours. What an awful game. I think I played through all of the original Death Rally (or at least a game very much like it), but this one just doesn’t feel fun to play at all.

8. j4rgon says:

Agreed, I bought this game on day one after fond memories of the original those many years ago. Hugely disappointed. The control is actually better with the keyboard as you actually have a button for gas. Unfortunately with a gamepad you can only use the left stick to “point” where you want to go….(other than using Joy2Key or similar)

What many people seem to miss is that this is a direct port of the Android/iOS game which explains some of the design decisions, poor controls, and lack of depth. With the slightest amount of work this could have been a great PC game…But I agree with the posts above, just go play the original.

9. Radiant says:

Dear everyone.

Play Mashed.

It’s a wonderful update to Micromachines and thus one of the few great friends, pizza and death threats around a monitor party games available.

• Kaira- says:

I wish to second this. Mashed is absolutely fantastic.

• Jake says:

Mashed is amazing, one of the best party games I know of. I didn’t know it was on PC (60p on Amazon), used to play it a lot on the first xbox. The ice oval track was the best. Looks like there is an updated version on XBLA.and PS3 called ‘Wrecked Revenge Revisited’.

jrodman says:

Is there someone selling the PC version?

10. slowly_over says:

just popped in to say I found this game very enjoyable, and I’ve now bought it. The free trial worked on me as I wouldn’t have noticed it otherwise.

Quite surprised to see most of the comments here are negative TBH, there are much worse games out there.

jrodman says:

I found it terrible.
    I would suggest the original instead, which is still lots of fun, just actually save or you may lose your game (game over can happen). Unless you like that sort of thing.

jrodman says:

In fact, if I could only give away my copy on steam, I would be happy to never see it on my list of games again.

12. usonfj says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

13. Ultramegazord says:

The game is terrible, can’t understand how they fucked up so bad, how hard it is to make a remake? Why simplify everything and turn a great game into a piece of crap?

Been playing it for half a hour and lost all the interest I had on it as soon as I realized it was nothing like the original, the progression, the RPG elements, the ammo, the different parts we could buy for our car and so on, nothing is there.

Don’t buy this game, play the original one instead, it’s free.