A Multitude Of Synths: Acid Defender

By Adam Smith on November 12th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

This should be a noise instead of a picture.

BLOPPITY, BUMP, TSSSHHH, BEEE BLOOP. I used to be in a band, but looking back I don’t think my instrument was ever plugged in. My job was to stand on a stage and look moody. Perhaps my lack of ability goes some way toward explaining why I’m so excited whenever I find a game or toy that lets me make music just by clicking a button or two. Acid Defender is a brilliant browser-based music-making experiment and I haven’t listened to anything else this morning. BEEP, BLOOP, BEEPITY, TSSSHHH. Play it here. Via @jennatar.

There are a couple of other audio experiments, including one inspired by Conway’s Game of Life. That one is kind of terrifying. I keep pressing ‘reset’ and hoping that the next iteration won’t sound like a choir of haunted angels regurgitating glass harps.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bork Titflopsen says:

Whelp, not working for me. Too bad though, I always enjoy these experiments.

I remember there being a game where a few people could make music together by clicking on some sidescrolling lines for notes, producing different sounds according to position and color.

Edit: Found it, it’s called Plink.

• Adam Smith says:

I’m pretty sure I posted about that one but I can’t for the life of me remember the name of it. It was great!

Shame it’s not working for you. Probably a browser issue, I’d imagine? I’ve only tried it with Chrome.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

I am using Chrome too and I’m not planning on installing Safari. I’ll check again later though, see if there is something on my end I can do about it.

BlackestTea says:

Also not working for me. Using Chrome, just updated. I can click around and it will move blocks and change their color, but there is not sound, no red squares and the timer isn’t moving =(

• SominiTheCommenter says:

There is also ToneMatrix, featured on Wildfire Worlds’ trailer.
      EDIT: Ninja’d a million years ago. :|

2. Zanchito says:

I’m a sucker for music games.
    @Bork: I know the one you’re talking about, was thinking about it just yesterday! If I find it in my favourites, I’ll post the link.
    [Edit] We’ll, I’ll be damned. I simply clicked on the “music” tag under the article and there it was, just the next in line!

3. Dubbill says:

Not a game, but in the same vein if you want something with a bit more Chesh: http://tonematrix.audiotool.com

• Oh Tyrone says:

I can confirm that this thingy, though indeed not a game, is one of the best things on the internet. Stupidly easy to use and everything you do sounds great.

EDIT: Thank you, by the way, for what I assume is the original page. I only came across it via an embed on someone’s tumblr, and didn’t exactly know how to google it.

4. The First Door says:

Well, I’m slow today. I spent ages wondering why when I caught all of the red dots the game punished me with less music. Woops!

5. pupsikaso says:

I wish there were games like these that gave visual feedback rather than audial, for us hearing-impaired.

6. fysx says:

It should run on Chrome and Safari.

7. Ostymandias says:

a slowly disintegrating TB-303

i like it

8. seventhrib says:

Adam is officially, or as officially as I can make him with my no clout, the best headline writer on RPS.

9. rjsdosn says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

10. syndrome says:

I used to be in a band, but then I …