An Afternoon In Amerish

By Jim Rossignol on November 13th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

With huge changes appearing in the latest Planetside 2 patch, I decided it was time to pull my purple battle trousers, and head back into the fray.

Or, more accurately, amble like a lamb in the ultra-picturesque verdantly-carpeted meadows of temperate third continent, Amerish. Ooh, flowers!

Amerish, Planetside 2’s third continent, is achingly pretty. Less a scarred battlefield, more a fabulously rugged ultra-pastoral science fiction holiday destination. For every battle fought there I’ve also spent a moment looking out over lush, hazy valleys as a perfect sun sets behind ancient, shattered mountains.

You’ve probably seen the continent trailer before, even if you’re not in the beta, but it’s worth a look.

Planetside 2’s environment designers have hardly missed a beat in their science-fiction vista creation, and Amerish is the prettiest of the three by some margin.

I spent some time there this afternoon, racing about in the twilight, and then into the game’s night, and then in the slightly misty morning, battling with an NC incursion on the VS Eastern flank. We fought furiously for control a bio-lab’s weird jungle innards, and then the fight spilled out onto nearby plateaus: blistering exchanges of laserfire lighting up where the action was going at any one time. We knocked tanks out with rocket launchers, tackled enemy spawn points with small arms, and I managed to kill myself by flipping a quad bike at a crucial moment. Typical scenes from of any Planetside 2 action so far, albeit with the all changes of weeks of incremental fiddling by the devs.

The main thing that pleases me when playing the game now, and it’s one I’ve mentioned before, is that the Sunderer has been beefed up as the main spawn point. With its mobile base system engaged it bolts itself into the ground on deployment. Amerish’s terrain is ludicrously rugged, and perfect for hiding the bus-like vehicle near to enemy bases, giving your side a point from which to fall back and head out again once killed.

Anyway, temperate battle-paradise aside, things have quite changed a bit since the early beta, particularly in the way base-capture influences the wider game. Larger bases now have much more far-reaching effects, producing bonuses such as regeneration for the holding faction for the biolabs, and requiring a tech-lab for the production of main battle tanks. This means there’s a greater overall reward for holding these locations, and will inevitably drawn more attention from organised factions in the game. Moreover, there are mega-bonuses for entire factions if they manage to capture an entire island.

Take Indar and you reduce the cost of items purchased with Infantry resources, take icy Esamir and you reduce the cost of vehicles purchased with mechanized resources, take Amerish and you reduce the cost of aircraft purchased with aerospace resources. These might sound like small beer, but the cost across hundreds of players will mount up, not to mention giving the more strategic players a target to aim for.

I have to admit that it still isn’t clear to me whether SOE’s approach to tweaking territory capture – the most important mechanic in the game after shooting dudes – is actually working. They explain: “With the new system, there will be three factors that determine the capture of the base, control node ownership, adjacent territory control and player leverage.” What this means is that the more people you have near a control node, the faster you capture it. You can stand further away, too, so that’s nice.

But there’s more: “Well, now the ticket count is zero-sum. This means that when a base is attacked, it starts off at 100% owned by the defending empire and the attackers have got to burn down the defender tickets at the same time as they increase their own. If they wrestle control back from you, they’ll have to burn down your progress as well. For multi-control node facilities such as Biolabs, or outposts like The Crown, having people locking down the nodes becomes more important than just rushing to the next node to flip it, not only because the people posted up on that node are keeping it from being captured by an enemy, but also because they’re helping to move the capture needle faster for your empire.”

I think that sounds better. I am honestly not sure. I’ll have to play a bunch more to see whether it actually feels as intuitive as SOE are claiming it should. They’ve made a huge number of changes in this beta, and with a game as big as this it’s been hard to keep track of them without playing all the time. I’ve still barely worked out half the interesting builds in the class and vehicle certification menus.

That aside, though, there are two things left for this beta. One is seeing what optimisations they can still bring in to get it running better on lower end PCs. I am not sure Planetside 2 will be game enough for many people to want to upgrade. Some will, of course, but older, weaker machines are being left behind, and that’s a shame when Amerish looks as pretty as it does.

The other is seeing SOE get this beast to launch, so that we can actually play with anyone and everyone, and have brimming continent populations at all times of day. This has been a long beta, and the need for more general player traffic is clear. When that happens, the RPS Army can really roll out.

Only one week to go.

For now though, I’ll get some chums, and go kill some more NC. The valleys of console land might ablaze with Black Ops and Ancient Evils awakening, but they all look pretty weak next to one of Planetside 2’s full-blown tank battles. And those three max kills we got this afternoon were just too sweet. And I really want to try the new Lasher. I’ll stop. You’ve got other things to read. And I need to go play.

Planetside 2 is released on the 20th of November.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Chicago Ted says:

It boggles the mind that there are men who willingly choose to be Vanu dirt.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I can’t hear you over the sound of a platoon of Magriders obliterating everything in their path.

• Tei says:

I don’t think the Vanu really know what are doing. More like adding a alien energy source with ductape to a rail gun, to make it shot superhot plasma in a inefective way. But such plasma shot, is not well aimed, and maybe is superheat, but don’t have a core of metal, so it don’t do more damage than a vanguard shell. Most Vanu technology is “for show”, lights and smoke to make them looks “cool” and atract to his weird “religion” naive young auraxians. Actually, I think the Vanguard sells do much more damage than the magrider shots.

Some people call the vanu “the Disco faction”, because dress and look like aliens from a bad b-movie from the 80’s.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

DISCO WILL NEVER DIE!!!

• The Random One says:

Disco never died, it just went back home

• Cooper says:

Because if you are going to fight in an endless war on an alien planet, might as well do it with style. Also lasers.

Details of RPS Vanu and NC outfits here:

Vanu outfit has outings on Wednesdays nights, NC on Friday.

Everyone always welcome.

• frightlever says:

Vanu should never be ashamed to be Vanu, but I can’t approve of people outing them.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Cooper: Hehe.. it’s a shame my machine won’t be able to run Planetside 2 effectively or I’d be tempted to join you. Considering my track record with fpss that may not be such a bad thing for the vanu, though. :oP

• ZanderTheThird says:

Oh come on. It’s obviously just for balance. In a real war the Vanu wouldn’t simply have alien versions of weapons that everyone else is using. Having access to that kind of tech would be like having modern day aircraft back to WWI. No one would stand a chance.

phuzz says:

I’m not sure how useful a modern aircraft would have been back in WWI. Even assuming you could find the correct fuel, and build a big enough runway, most air-air weapons won’t really work on a WWI biplane (not hot enough for IR, not enough metal for radar, probably), and a jet would be going too fast to effectively use it’s cannon (if it had one). See the recent attempted attack by two Iranian SU-25’s on a much smaller and slower drone.
            Air-ground weapons might work a bit better, we can now make things which blow up better, but in WWI you don’t get any GPS, so accuracy is not much better.

There’s a good short story about that called “The Hawk among the Sparrows” by Dean McLaughlin.

I’ve really over thought this haven’t I?

• mike2R says:

@phuzz I suspect they’d actually help quite a bit. Maybe not in air to air, but that is really a defensive role, and aircraft are an offensive weapon.

Some Apaches or A10s could probably punch a hole in the front fairly effectively in enough numbers. And more importantly modern ground attack aircraft could totally freeze communications behind the front. As I understand it the main reason for WWI turning into a stalemate was not really the weapons and trench warfare. These caused horrendous casualties, but massed attacks could and did break through the lines. The problem was that railways allowed the defender to reenforce too quickly for any victory to be exploited, and any positions taken would be terribly vulnerable to the inevitable counter-attack and unable to smash right through the front.

It would seem strange if a modern airforce couldn’t interdict rail movements behind the front enough to prevent this. Which would end trench warfare, and get everyone home by Christmas…

I don’t think you’re over thinking this at all BTW :)

• ChampionHyena says:

It boggles the mind that there are men who willingly choose to fire boring, dreary, normal BULLETS in your SCIENCE FICTION SHOOTY JETPACK FIGHTMAN GAME.

Impugn the Sovereignty all you like. At the end of the day, ours are the only guns that go PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

• Ricochet64 says:

I just wish there was autobalancing.

DeVadder says:

It boggles my mind why in every game with different races or factions perfectly reasonable individuals take so much joy in fantasy-racism.

• Skabooga says:

I suspect for the same reason people hate fans of opposing football teams. While it can get out of hand, in moderation it is nice to have a rival, an arch-nemesis who you don’t really hate, and at the end of the day wouldn’t mind having a drink with.

• Shralla says:

Planetside evokes this a lot more than most games due to the purely PVP-oriented style of game that it is. That said, TR and NC scum can feel free to exit to the left. The Vanu Sovereignty will be holding this base for now.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Oh c’mon it’s tongue-in-cheek and just for fun

• Rindan says:

Don’t be ignorant. It isn’t racism if they are ignorant savages without souls. Have you ever met a TR or NC person who isn’t an ignorant savage? Exactly. Death to the savages!

darkChozo says:

By definition, factionalism (not the same semantics but the words sound similar!) is not racism. </technicality>

And the reason fooism in general is a bad thing is because it involves judging people based on an unreasonable factor and leads to all sorts of miscommunication and unnecessary conflict. That factor is completely out of the mix when you’re talking about fictional factions and tongue-in-cheek jibes at players associated with other factions. I may say terrible, terrible things about TR and NC scum, but I’m not exactly going to go beat someone up for being an Elmo, and I’d be surprised if anyone was horribly offended and/or felt belittled for being called a Smurf (well, at least in this context).

• rzeznicc says:

HOT BETA KEYS (lasts till 16th)

ATXAN632J26XR463EMZ3
      XD3PD2KNDA2AJ7MJ2AXX
      RDKZZ6CZX2AAMN7GZNT2
      MP3Z96ZRN3AEXMANANZK
      9D66P2C96NN2HTDCHPEG

please reply if youve taken one

• JohnnyMaverik says:

The 77th VEF have noted your disdain… we’re coming for you rebel primitives, soon you shall see the galaxy our way, or not at all.

• slight says:

LOLRP!

CheesyJelly says:

I’ve been playing the beta myself a little bit, but cannot get to grips with it. As a completely newbie, I find it really hard to understand what’s going on, how to capture points, and the best way that I can make myself useful. Does RPS have a community for the beta anywhere?

Crimsoneer says:

Check the forums! We’re there :) Rock Paper Planet on the Vanu side, and we also have an outfit with those NC plebs, I believe.

• RoAE says:

Your mistaken dear sir, Vanu are for the wannabe console gamers who are attracted to flashing lights and pretty colours. Only the Master Race skirts around the battlefield in titanic tanks, one shotting everything.

• Cooper says:

To reiterate: Those having trouble with the game, please come join us on Wednesdays (Vanu) and Friday (NC) nights.
        Details here:

We generally roll about shooting things, but aren’t too bothered if we miss and / or die horribly in flaming wreckage.

The best way to play & learn the game with others.

PS2 is a great game. Rough round the edges, but there’s nothing else like it out there. But, yes, it’s incredibly impenetrable for those who are just jumping in and haven’t persevered.

• Armante says:

ok, so.. why isn’t there a TR outfit? Seems everyone on RPS is either a Barney or a Smurf. what’s wrong with Elmos :P

• Geen says:

Elmos are industrialist space nazis who wear ugly clothes and have shitty tanks.

• NathaI3 says:

I agree, tried it this evening for an hour or so and just didn’t understand. I found it impenetrable. Couldn’t even look at the controls in the menu because the page was blank, and I didn’t fancy re-assigning every key manually.

I’ll give it another go post-release, assuming there is a tutorial etc. I do feel a bit guilty for potentially taking the place of a Planetside die-hard in the beta but I hope anyone who was really gunning for a place would have got one by now…

• Noburu says:

I just tried it as well for 15 mins or so. Was mainly interested to just see what the game was about and see how it would run on my laptop (not home to use desktop much). I was horribly fucking lost and couldnt figure out what keys did what aside from the usual shoot, crouch, and sprint. I wanted to show my fps and see what kind of frames i was getting in firefights.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Show FPS actually pops up in a tool tip if you’re new. It’s like ALT-f12 I think? It says at the bottom of the screen when you log in, at least the first time.

• Ricochet64 says:

I find that joining a squad makes everything make so much more sense. At least from my experience. It’ll save you from aimlessly wandering, trying to be useful.

• werix says:

I too am a noob to the planetside games. I just played if myself for the first time last night. Luckily a good friend of mine is a PS1 veteran, and sort of showed me the ropes. Whats funny is we are on the EU server even though we are both in the midwest. So I’ll probably get killed by a lot of you RPS vets as you all seem to like Vanu, and I went NC because he was.

• fish99 says:

Agree. The game is nearly impenetrable for the newbie. It just gives you a pep talk and drops you straight into the action with no clue what you should be doing, whereas there should be some tutorial videos to watch, and a test server or firing range, or something like that, where you can try out all the gear and decide what role you want to aim for (i.e. what vehicles/gear to spec into). I also found it hard to tell the factions apart as a new player.

The say first impressions last and I fear PS2 is about to make a very bewildering first impression on a lot of people and put them off for good.

It also seems to be plagued with low res textures. It does a least run well for me though.

DeVadder says:

There will suposedly be a proper New Player Experience added. It just seems to not be part of the beta.
        Also the textures seem to really have improved with the last patch for me. No idea wether it fiddled with my settings or they really changed something.

• SturmovikDrakon says:

How hard is it to understand?

There’s a frontline on the map

Go and fight on that frontline

If you’ve played any sort of objective-based FPS then it shouldn’t be hard to understand that points A, B, C, etc. need to be captured
      Walk up to a point. You can’t click it? No? Well then, it should be obvious that all you need to do is to stand around to capture it
      What’s that, a tank symbol on the HUD? I should probably investigate. Oh look, you can spawn vehicles!
      “I don’t know where to go!!!’ Well the, you have a map. Have you tried clicking your mouse on it? “Oh look, I clicked the right mouse button and I can set a waypoint! Wonderful!”
      CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE FIGURED OUT THE GAME

I figured all of this out, in what… 5 minutes? Come on, I’m starting to believe the story about those Dishonored QAs. I am in shock.

DeVadder says:

Well, but it all becomes way less intuitive when you look at certs. Or wonder where the cert points come from. Or you see all these funny symbols near a facility (i mean shield gens, spawn controls, teleporters…) and it is not helping that every kind of facility works different. And the symbols next to the spawn points in the deployment screen. And what exactly do these ressources do?
        Also some people get confused by the 4 different color schemes.

As a TR it is People and vehicles: good=blue bad=red.
        Consoles and stuff: good=red bad=blue or purple
        Killstream: good=green bad=red
        Control nodes: good=green bad=blue or purple

Some people want to understand more of the game than ‘Look, people, i guess i can shoot them’. Some people feel the need to actually understand the mechanics of a game to enjoy it. And those mechanics are horribly explained and layed out.

• Vorphalack says:

”Some people feel the need to actually understand the mechanics of a game to enjoy it. And those mechanics are horribly explained and layed out.”

Expecting to understand everything right out the gate is hopeful at best, willfully naive at worst. There is nothing in this game that cannot be deduced within a few days of fumbling your way around. There are probably some areas where they can improve clarity, but this is not a barrier to enjoying the game. I’m going with the idea that all a new player needs is the map and the basic motor skills to point gun at man. If you don’t have fun in your first few big fights then you will hate the game anyway, regardless of weather or not you know whats going on.

• Danarchist says:

I played PS1 extensively and even I was seriously confused my first few hours in the game. Just to help other re-noobs

1. To get into the action instantly hit M and use your mouse wheel to zoom out. Look for the most red “flame marker” on the screen and click the deploy button. After a short timer it will drop pod you directly to that spot. You will die, I have never survived a drop pod landing for more than a few seconds. Click on the closest respawn point and get your FPS on. There are lots of things you will not know, especially with the keybinding pages being blank at the moment, but what you really need to do is choose a different “kit” each of the numerous times you die so you can get a feel for what works.

2. After dying enough times that you want to punch your screen take a “break” and choose the warp gate for your next redeploy. You may have a few points to spend by now so hit escape and choose the gun symbol at the bottom, then click on the “Go to certs” button. The things you can upgrade will be highlighted, go through them all and purchase any of the 1 point certifications you can afford. These are fairly basic upgrades but it makes massive difference on the field. Now the hard part, and something I learned a loooong ways into the game: You have to equip the upgrades you purchased This is fairly counter intuitive and I spend a solid ten minutes once I figured out my scope I had purchased days ago wasn’t on my gun. Click on the gun symbol at the bottom again then choose the topmost loadout. For each gun/mod/armor etc you purchase you have to go into it and select it. For guns this is the “change attachment” screen. Everything else has its own slot you have to click on.

3. Squad up and follow the squad leader. This is a PITA sometimes but you can turn off certain things that clutter up the map and this helps find them.

4. For easy, starter certs choose either medic or engineer and run around healing/repairing higher rank players. This helps them out allot, gets you some much needed early certs, and insures a steady stream of “Support” players. I find that going engineer and dropping ammo boxes near large groups of players was the fastest for me. Careful repairing vehicles, I have been ran over by way more friendly tanks than enemy, especially as vanu as their tanks tend to “Slide around”

5. Accept that you are going to die pretty much constantly your first couple days playing. You are. No matter how much they argue “Certs are just for flavor” you will never kill someone more than 5 ranks above you unless they are AFK or taking a bong hit at the time.

CheesyJelly says:

Yes. I worked out all of the things you just said. But none of those is what the game is *really* about. I did exactly that – I spawned, and within 5 minutes I’d captured an undefended outpost on my own. I then spent half an hour trying to assault an enemy base on my own because I couldn’t work out what I should be doing in the context of the squad/platoon/team of which I found myself a member.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah this game is seriously easy at first. It’s like a small plateau to the learning curve right at the start, then a pretty steep cliff if you really want to understand what’s going on.
        First time I played I autojoined a squad by reading a tool tip pop up, super easy. Squad leader’s name was obvious in the world, he was piloting a giant airship saying to get in. Got in by pressing “E” – an FPS standard. He flew to a battle, landed, I pressed E to get out, and then it was just like any old FPS (not in a bad way) find enemies and shoot them while trying to avoid getting shot. Of course I died. But I knew what I was doing and didn’t find the initial learning curve to be very steep at all. Just read stuff on the screen and you’ll have a basic idea of what to do. Once you begin to enjoy that level of play it becomes a lot easier to learn more.

• Giaddon says:

Planetside 2 in 30 seconds:

Look at the map. See the hexes? You want to expand your color (starting from your warp gate) over all the hexes. Each hex has a facility that determines ownership of a hex. To capture a facility, your team needs to maintain control over the capture points (the A, B or C icons) for a period of time.

Hexes under contention will flash. Ones with a battle will have a little explosion icon on it. You can also look at the info bar to the left to see if enemies have been detected in the area (ranging in size from squads to platoons), and you can see the control bar (which determines ownership of the facility) rising or dropping.

Once you see a good area (an enemy hex your faction is pushing into or a friendly hex the enemy is attacking), you have to get there. If the game has recognized a battle is there, it should let you “deploy” straight there — look for the button on the map. If there’s no deploy option, jump in a vehicle (look for terminals with plane or tank icons above them) and drive there. I recommend the ATV for cheap, fast travel through friendly territory, although buying a plane to fly there and jump out of is fine if you’re not a pilot and won’t need the plane later.

Once at a contested hex, move toward the capture points (again, represented with an A, B, or C on the map/hud) and reinforce. The most important vehicle is the Sunderer. It allows soldiers to spawn from it. Protect your team’s and destroy your enemy’s. It looks like a rectangle.

Hit insert to get auto-added to a squad. If you really want to be involved, type /re (regional chat) and ask if you can join the platoon (most large battles will have at least one platoon — an organized group of up to four squads).

Z is your squad voice coms, numpad 1 is your platoon coms.

There’s the basics!

3. DaftPunk says:

The whole design of game vehicles and soldiers is so medicore that it hurts.

4. Cryptoshrimp says:

I’d like to play Planetside 2. I’d like to play it a lot. However, it still crashes on launch for me. 7/10 can do with better code.

5. Taidan says:

I seem to be enjoying almost every aspect of this game apart from one small, tiny, barely perceivable thing:

I don’t like the core shooting mechanics. At all. They feel far too loose and imprecise to me.

Everything else I’m really into. Love the feel of the thing, the excitement of the aircraft whizzing overhead and dogfighting while you’re taking cover down below, the emergent drama that can happen during combat, and the strategic choices that can swing battles when you’re lucky enough to be part of an organized unit.

It’s just the actual act of swinging your gun’s sights over an enemy soldier and pulling the trigger I find completely lacklustre, to the point where everything else doesn’t quite make up for it.

• Chubzdoomer says:

I feel the same way. The game’s infantry combat is laughably bad. I rarely have fun if I’m not in a tank.

• Lev Astov says:

The mouse controls are just so miserable in tanks. All I do in games like Battlefield is tanks, but I find myself loath to try in PS2 because they just feel so bad to control. And why does the turret drift every time you fire? This is supposed to be the future; they didn’t even do that in WW2!

• SkittleDiddler says:

Infantry combat just comes off as sluggish and imprecise, but vehicle combat doesn’t feel right for me either. And the lag? Dear dog, it’s the worst I’ve ever experienced in an online FPS.

PS2 is going to need some major fixing before I’ll feel comfortable investing any more time in it.

• Armante says:

There have been times where the lag was horrible – people and vehicles warping all over the place.
        Other times, smooth as silk. And I play on a West Coast server, across the ocean, from New Zealand :)

And yes I’m lucky that I recently got a new PC with lots of ram and a flash video card. Needed it for video/photographic editing. Plays really well. My 3yr old PC with a good video card did a pretty decent job too, just not at 1920×1200 with all the settings turned up

• Thiefsie says:

I kind of agree with this sentiment too, but really my biggest complaint is that everything seems to go at a pretty glacial pace… I’m used to shooters where you can spawn and find something to shoot at within a minute tops? PS2 makes that stretch out an utterly too long way… and then when you do find some guys the shooting is kind of weaksauce. I was in a squad and we had a commander with comms telling us what to do and it seemed to boil down to this:
      – move to area to attack
      – attack interlopers
      – sit around waiting for at least 5 mins for the area to cap
      – get ready to move out
      – loop the above over and over

I don’t know…. just doesn’t seem like that much fun.

The races seem very bland and there is virtually no guidance for n00bs…

BF2/3 seem to have condensed all of this down to a much more action packed version that seems to fit with me better, even with the negatives….

I suppose it just doesn’t appeal to me too much.

6. hunsnotdead says:

So, is it “Buy Alpha Squad” good?
    Im still contemplating on it, since its really one of its kind(lots and lots of little Battlefield tied together, like EVE thats made of office spreadsheets, shiny presentations, and water cooler intrigue), but others tell me that if it will be good, it will be good to be played for free, otherwise why bother. Also they tell me the benefits are nothing to write home about, compared to SOE 3x Station Cash promotions.

darkChozo says:

If it helps, the weapons are probably going to be worth 3k station cash (12 weapons * 250 a weapon for lowest tier weapons, maybe twice that depending on which weapons you get), which brings it to 7k station cash for the more tangible benefits. It basically comes down to whether the rest is worth the 5k extra that a 3x SC sale would give you. Arguably, I’d guess not, depending on how valuable you thing the 6 month boost is.

I bought it, but I’ve been pretty hyped about this for a while and I put a lot of value in bundles over a la carte purchases. It’s completely irrational, but I prefer having a bunch of weapons given to me at once vs. having to pick and choose beforehand; keeps things a bit more interesting.

• Armante says:

well, the game launches in a week, so I’d save my money by now :)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Just nab a beta code. They’re all over the place. Look here’s one:
      D2RMC4RK6RMP3Z3PKHEE

7. Obc says:

a question to all those playing the beta: how is the game for a casual player like me. someone who only comes online every third day and for like 3 hours? what should i do to have the most fun? are there public VoiceChats (TS/Vent) that i can join and do stuff with people and make myself useful while also having fun? how can i avoid running aimlessly behind random players and gun downed from every side?

• absolofdoom says:

You can actually herd people by yourself, I was surprised. You just deploy a sunderer somewhere good and people start spawning on it. Invite them to your squad and bam you’ve got a force to work with. I imagine it’ll be even better when the voice chat doesn’t sound like talking with two tin cans and a string (they are working on it).

Also I have to say I’ve never had as much fun sniping in any other game as this one. Massive maps, tons of prey, the hunt is amazing. And you can cloak which is very effective – but you have to keep in mind that distance and movement affect the visibility while cloaked. You can’t run full speed past some guy 3 meters from you or you WILL die.

• BruceFnLee says:

Solo play is easy in Planetside. You can easily and automatically or manually join squads and there are multiple forms of voice chat in game. You won’t need TS/vent or anything like that. There’s squad vc, local vc and platoon vc for example.

8. frenz0rz says:

It’s just a shame that it’s still so poorly optimised for anyone without a Quantum MegaPC™.

I mean, I understand that it’s always going to be a demanding game and that I shouldn’t expect my PC (which, while not great, can still run most games perfectly fine on ‘high’) to run it as well as a monster rig, but currently its apparent CPU bottleneck makes it more or less unplayable for me in large battles.

It’s important to note that it has improved. Draw distances in particularly are far better optimised than before and I have no issue running them on the default max setting when I’m standing in an isolated desert/tundra/plain in the middle of nowhere. When the chaos of hundreds of players descends though, particularly when only ONE BLOODY EU SERVER is running at a time, it’s virtually impossible to play.

I want to play Planetside 2, I want to hurl wads of cash at it and humbly prostrate myself at its glorious feet… but I cant afford to spend £2000 on a new gaming PC for a single game that may not even run smoothly on that anyway.

• absolofdoom says:

Just get a better cpu

• Stochastic says:

That entails getting a new motherboard and possibly RAM, and at that point you might as well do a new build. That having been said, a decent gaming PC these days can be built for far less than £2000 (in the US, a very good midrange system might cost you $800-$1000).

• frenz0rz says:

Just like that, eh?

A new CPU would require a new mobo as my old one would not be compatible. A new mobo would require new RAM as I’m still running DDR2, which wouldnt be supported, and it would probably also need a new case as my current one would likely be too small.

By that point I’d already have upgraded half my PC and I may as well have just built a new one. £2000 was admittedly an exaggeration, but from looking at the Planetside 2 technical forums it appears that people with far better PCs than mine are having just as many issues getting it to run properly. Considering that I can already run nigh-on anything released this year on full or high graphics, can I really justify the expense of upgrading for a single game? Probably not.

Thats my decision of course, but the point remains that Planetside 2 currently runs like ARMA 2 multiplayer did on on day one.

Put simply, it needs more work.

• fish99 says:

I’d say £2000 was a huge exageration. It seems to run fine on my 1st gen I5 (quad) @ 3.1 and GTX 660. So that’s £140 (better cpu than mine) + £170 (660 gpu) + £80 (mobo) + £30 (8gb ddr3 ram) = £420.

• Lev Astov says:

Really, their optimization is very poor. I have an i7-2600k and SLI’d 560Ti cards and the game still grinds when I take fire from aircraft. Turning down the graphics doesn’t seem to help, either.

Aerothorn says:

2000 pounds? What? I think it’s more the case that it’s not optimized evenly yet. I am playing this on a 3.5 year old rig that itself was about $850 when I built it, and I consistenly get 40-50 FPS at medium settings with render at 100/1920×1080. On a brand new $1000 PC, it’s crazy smooth at everything maxed. No need for the big bucks.

• Skabooga says:

Yeah, this really seems like my type of game, but the choppiness I get when there is more than one actor on screen makes me more of a liability than a participating member of the team. I suppose there is not much that can be done for having a 3 year old system. Mind, it was a mid-range system when I first got it, so it hasn’t aged as gracefully as others have.

9. Archangel says:

More beta keys! Post which one you used.

1. 9GTMTTH632X6TMERFTAG
    2. FNEJ7EPZZJP7PD9E63AH
    3. 342JRXKEM4PR3X2ZKA36
    4. 6DXNKC6MRPP6CRHK9FHZ
    5. EN4GD7T4KKRPK27EZGAJ
    6. 9MZ6-ZF4X-6PCX-37JX-EAXK

• Douchetoevsky says:

I snagged number 5, thanks!

• Jorum says:

I’ve taken #2. many thanks.

• DigitalSignalX says:

More keys

1. CD2NTRMEG93RZ9F99JM3
      2. JMMK4PTNGN2RHM9H3TMK
      3. RFXT9F4ZMFTHJ32ZHKFX
      4. 7GZ3ZZHKTGJP69E692E2
      5. NNMX-JRX6-763D-4RZE-DJKR
      6. R646-3KGH-MRD4-TPNX-X3TG
      7. P4DM-6HFC-CFF9-EXEP-A42P

My biggest issue in about 5 hours of play is identifying friend or foe. Can’t even count the number of times as TR medic or engie I’ve run up to heal some enemy units instead of trying to gun them down. My basic policy of “shoot anything without a blue triangle over their head” is still getting me tons of friendly fire warnings.

• Rugged Malone says:

Even more keys! These ones all have Vanu Sovereignty written on them:

M3TC4J6G94E6DGAFZ936
      HNT4DKM447F263HTEM3N
      E7D6J33KNNF2HTP977N7
      9TZMDKCGKGCAXKF7HRNN
      PFDGXDXCMG3NKHE3ZFH9

• Renyojd says:

I’ve redeemed #3 (Archangel post). Many thanks!

• Skabooga says:

Why heck, I’ll throw a few more keys into the mix. Post if you nab them.

TEGAFTPKZ27NZG4DH3ZJ
      PAFDN7TEXKG9D3JXT94N
      RGF79G3NXNK47XDMXZRT
      43PHAN6NGZDT6ZPJ23JN
      N27KNFGMTZMGKJFC79FA

• scab says:

Used the 5th. The 4th was already taken.

Tyvm Skabooga.

• Deisenberger says:

Snagged 2nd. First was already taken.

Cheers for the code, Ska.

• Thiefsie says:

more:

62ME9DFKHDRA9GATCR9A
        4ZK2MTADZP6RJ7FCAND7
        7769A4ZJ36NTGJKMGXGF
        3MZP7MMM4H396JEG49Z4

• KomodoBeaver says:

Claimed number 3. Thanks a bunch! (1 and 2 were already taken).

• iruj says:

A few more keys:

TJD4GAM6CXKCJHPRM9T9
            CEECFKA7F6E62HT7AZ4P
            A6XMGR9PM6AFDFAGE4DT
            A9XE67AX69N4HK9HKKHM
            H22CTE9ARAGKTPRZJGC3

• ThunderDrizzle says:

Took the key starting H22CTE…
            Thanks iruj!

10. DarkFenix says:

I’m still waiting for them to implement my favourite class, the Infiltrator. The class doesn’t exist without the ability to cloak indefinitely.

11. kimded says:

There are a fair number of quite major bugs to get sorted in my view, hopefully this patch has removed the grenade bug (so far so good), but there is still a lot of warping, really the net code should have been fixed months ago, not still having this issue this close to “release”… actually I say release, lets be honest this is much more of an “open beta” than proper release.

Also at times the guns feel… off… its hard to place really, I can cope with Tribes or Blacklight but for some reason PS2 guns I cannot adapt too, then again I play Vanu so that may be the problem ;)

That all being said… somehow I still find it fun… :)

12. Cooper says:

There’s a number of people complaining they don’t get PS2.

Come join us on Purple Wednesdays!
    Or joing the NC on their Friday outings.

Details of RPSers playing PS2 can be found here:

For Wednesday. Vanu. Eurydome server. Join us on Mumble from 8pm GMT onwards.

Planetside 2 is so, so much better messing about with others than on your lonesome.

13. Astral says:

I joined just to share my keys. Figured some people might have got left out.

39AZXJEFNN43A37FG9DT
    N7ACRNRZM7FEXMFNA9D7
    R7323PRA73R7H7FCPFTT

14. Kez says:

Keys, keys, keys!

1. P6ZF-NJMC-K3ZX-77D9-9AMX
    2. 69JAX2KAF39DXD9D46KT
    3. 2AK7MTNA7HNPK9HEH4ZH
    4. 6AN9PX3K7K4RDCHTPFM7
    5. 994HFPERKNGEP43MCX6X
    6. ZD7A6CR92EPXZAH7NXEK

15. gritz says:

By far the biggest problem in this game is the amount of time spent standing around waiting for a point to cap and/or camping the enemy spawn room until said cap. The “tug of war” system may have actually made things worse.

It takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes to capture a large base, even after the battle has ended, the points are secured and the defenders are contained in their spawn room or have left. Even though you have 50 allies in the area, standing around, and you’ve secured all of the sattelite bases and your faction’s influence is over 50%. It’s ridiculous and boring, and it should be the #1 gameplay priority for SOE to fix. The rest of the game is so fun, that it really sucks to be saddled with a ton of downtime just because you won a fight.

• gritz says:

Other things they should fix:
      -terrible CPU optimization, ugh
      -the random “fall to your death because you got stuck on a 3 inch piece of dirt” suicides
      -the complete lack of newbie friendliness for such a game with such a steep learning curve
      -the crashing on exit
      -the ridiculous amount of blinding bloom on med/high graphics, and the complete uselessness of smoke and night vision on low graphics

16. Neurotic says:

TR forever, suckers!

17. ramirezfm says:

I played it for an hour or so and I just don’t get this game. The whole hour a bunch of terran guys ( me included ) stood outside of the some-other guys base and was base-zerging from what I could tell. The some-other guys were standing behind the force field running out and dying from time to time. I browsed through all the base setups, shot at the forcefield a little, even got some kills, by total accident of course. In the meantime I joined a squad, or whatever the units are called, but we were so all over the map we basically soloed anyway. Then I logged out… Maybe gonna try this again today, but so far it is looking pretty bland. And speaking of looking, OMG the textures are abysmal!

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I played around with the texture settings and noticed no difference between Low textures and High textures. (though it may need a restart to apply the change?)

18. Gezbo says:

A couple of more keys for you.

1. XJP7PZDGNPKKAHZ69HNH
    2. EA92XM2E37TG6DMDFHKN
    3. HH493AE3XD6HHKJFCCJR
    4. KRM4J2TFJGNM7MTDZ6TA
    5. MFCFDPNCDHHZRDDE336Z

19. requisite0 says:

Moar keys:

3HCG6NAJFE3DNPZ23DRD
    66GJZMPRJP4PAFXRRMPP
    NFCF97ENKGMAJCRTEK2R
    FCKDNC3E94XFP6ACP9HD

Botje says:

Thanks, I grabbed the first one. 3rd and 4th were already taken…

Goodtwist says:

One key to rule them all:

2N3M-3GET-PF7J-ZPRN-ZRRG

21. ramirezfm says:

SO yeah, nobody will read this comment, but I have to vent. Let me tell you how my second go at PS2 went…

I logged in in the morning to see what is happening. I spawned next to some guy. Some guy was capturing the base. Good work some guy! Let’s do this! Wasn’t hard as we were the only people in the building. After 10mins standing still, jumping, shooting at ceiling and running in circles the territory was ours. He logged off, I ran to another point. After several minutes of running I arrived in the second enemy base. Ha! I took the A B C points and began to influence the territory, damn I’m influential. It took ages. The enemy bar to go down. I went to grab a coffee. When I returned my bar started to build up. I went to grab some breakfast. Bar was half way when I finished breakfast. I managed to drink my coffee with bar at 75%. A few minutes later it was 100% and I logged off. Job well done, freakishly boring, but beggars can’t be choosers. I thought I will log in later when more ppl are on.

And so I did. I spawned my puny TR right in the middle of some fight, INSTANT ACTION it said. That have to be so cool! I thought. Then I instantly died. I think the spawn point was in the middle of enemies and they just rattled easy kills. No worries, the INSTANT ACTION button! …is inactive for another 10+mins. Oh well, walk time it is.

I spawned in some base. So far so good. I jogged. So far so good. I jogged. I jogged… I jog…ged… for a moment it felt like decathlon back in the days, but without the joystick wiggling (nothing naughty). Then! A truck! TR truck! And we met a bit closer than I would like to as the guy just ran me over. That was… amusing.

Third respawn, jogging jogging jogging. I felt like Frodo, Merry and all those little furry rabbits going back and forth. This time I got some other poor soul running after me. Running, better to do it together. Or so I thought, until the guy shot me in the back. Just twice, using pistol, so I lost shield and 20% life. I turned around, he was just looking at me. Accident, what else. Friendly fire, come on buddy, let’s run. I started running, he ran with me for a while, and then shot me in the back. With half of the life left and no enemy in sight we stood there for a while staring at each other. Sniper rifle headshot at point blank range healed his trigger happy attitude. Suits him well. Then I ran for another 5mins just to get annihilated with the first shot from something flying by.

I sighed. Fourth time’s the charm?

Maybe, but the servers went down.

I would love to like this game. I heard so much good about it. It is so utterly unplayable for me :(

• fish99 says:

I read your comment! I’ve only played the game for about 90 minutes, but ….. pay more attention to what’s going on on the map, look for contested areas and look for sunderers to spawn on. And keep a constant eye on the minimap while playing.

Goodtwist says:

I feel ya. On the other hand, you can’t really expect much for a free lunch.

22. fish99 says:

Had another go tonight and I’m pretty sure now that textures need a restart to apply because everything was looking so much better. Otherwise they fixed something in the update, but either way it was looking really good.

I have to say the effect of being in a big fight at night is STUNNING. Tanks rolling everywhere, planes overhead, explosions everywhere, it’s just awe inspiring. Started to get to grips with what was going on as well, and even killed a few guys.

One big issue though – the FOV adjust doesn’t affect vehicles? The default infantry FOV is something terrible like 55 degrees, but you can raise it to a bearable 75, but in vehicles it seems to be locked to 55. It’s horrible, unuseable.

23. Ciber says:

I tried the new lasher and I thought it was crap. Sorry. I feel bad and sad saying that as I loved the lasher when I first played PS1, before the nerfed it badly into rubbish. Very short range, doesn’t look that cool, often made me suicide, lacks killing power. :(