Congestion Charge: Cities In Motion: London

By Jim Rossignol on November 13th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Surprisingly popular transport management game Cities In Motion has been regularly updated with DLC, and its latest lump of transport extras contains the ingredients necessary to keep London’s commuters in motion, with bright red buses, the Gherkin, the Eye, and Buckingham Palace, as well as new scenarios and so forth to suit London’s vehicular travel context.

The trailer (below) fails to show us London’s bowels being moved by the Underground, but it’s there, apparently. Also: trams. Not sure that’s entirely accurate, but perhaps that’s the point. The new DLC arrives on November 20th. I’ve also posted a documentary about Britain below for those of you interested in our tiny corner of the world.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DickSocrates says:

There are trams in London, just nohwere near where they show them here. The layout looks to be a bit condensed too, but then I don’t think anyone expected them to replicate one of the largest cities in the world. They’ve GTA’d it.

• Yglorba says:

This is the series whose Berlin levels at one point included a mission to build subways under the Berlin wall — during the height of the Cold War. I don’t think accuracy is big on their list of goals.

2. webwielder says:

Here’s some more documentaries about the “UK” and “London”

• Low Life says:

I did not know that about (the City of) London. As a big fan of information I’ll most likely never have use for, I feel obliged to thank you.

• MadTinkerer says:

When we lived in (The Greater) London (Area), every weather report referred to The Greater London Area, which is the bit where we lived. But unless you’re actually broadcasting, it’s completely acceptable to just say “London” and everyone knows what you mean.

• Bobtree says:

Wow, those videos were quite surprising. I had never heard about the London vs City of London business before.

• sPOONz says:

Thanks for linking these. Short n quick and packed with interesting info. Cheers

3. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

If you zoom the game’s camera in really close you might see me waving.

4. Bluerps says:

I don’t like the UK. They stop funding important organisations at the drop of a hat, just because some of their people got abducted by aliens. Stiff upper lip my ass!
    They tried to make up for it, by sending an awesome sniper and a butt-kicking assault soldier, but it was too little, too late.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Those people were the contestants on the last series of X-Factor. We cut funding to stop you bringing them back.

• Llewyn says:

Those people were the judges on the last series of X-Factor. We cut funding to stop you bringing them back.

Not like you to make such a typo, Custard.

5. Al__S says:

There of course used to be trams through most of central London, so it’s not that far fetched.

I would quite like in CiM to brutally restrict road traffic- congestion charging, bus lanes etc would be most handy.

• The Random One says:

They should at least have done that to trolleybuses in the US Cities pack, so they aren’t just tram sprite swaps. (Though I admit watching trolleybuses going offroad never fails to make me giddy.)

6. DrScuttles says:

I’m tempted to get this just so I can make the N91 run more frequently to help out my past virtual self.

7. The Random One says:

Is that castle you see fifty seconds in Castle Shotgun?

8. CJ says:

Admittedly it’s been a few weeks since I’ve been down to London, but the last time I was there they drove on the left!

9. LozTaylor says:

I spend too much time daily waiting for my train at Waterloo to notice that the London Eye is rotating the wrong way in this trailer…

10. Dozer says:

Have they fixed the ‘over-polite driver’ bug where the trains won’t close the doors if someone’s about to board?

Once a station gets a certain number of passengers, it means every train always leaves full, and only can pick up 5 of the 120 angry passengers at the next stop. And because the train waits so long, it blocks the platform for the train behind, slowing down the entire system.

• JaminBob says:

Just forget building longer realistic lines and try to keep metro lines to 3 stops. People will transfer between them and you’ll make more money too. Get the ‘realistic capacity mod’ for more realistic vehicle capacities.

11. yurusei says:

Why is there a “alcohol reference” in the ESRB rating? I did not see a whiff of gin in the trailer.

12. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

When the nice man from Cities in Motion came round to London for a cup of tea and a chat about his little project here, we all had a jolly old time driving about on the wrong side of the road, running the London Eye backwards, and pretending to use American English. Sadly none of us knew American English, so we just grunted and exchanged dizzying blows to the head. That seemed to convince him. We even convinced him we’d named one of our buildings “the Gherkin”!

We gave him maps of London that distorted our fair town so it apes the ugly grid of American cities, instead of our capital’s picturesque ring roads, single carriageways, one-way systems, pelican crossings, zebra crossings, orbitals, green waves, red waves, traffic jams, Congestion Charge Zones, Channel Tunnels, No-Mans-Lands, Big Issue salesmen, slingshots, inappropriately situated statuary, dead ends, highwaymen, and roundabouts.

What a whizz-o jape! When this electronical entertainment product is finally released he will look quite the prune!

13. McCool says:

Its amazing how many details in that short video show a complete lack of understanding of London (the precise opposite of the video’s intention). Everything from cars driving on the wrong side of the road to the apparent juxtaposition of “The Old City on the Thames” and “The Bustling Financial District” – the Old City on the Thames is the financial district of London. D’oh!

14. Rahlon says:

Hmm, I love that the cars are driving on the wrong side of the road!

Comment on this story