Distance Goes The Distance: Kickstarter Funded

By John Walker on November 14th, 2012 at 10:30 am.

Coo, another close one. According to Kickstarter, most games that succeed tend to receive around 150% of their target (while those that fail tend to be around 20%) – a fact that might be reassuring for some, but little comfort for the few who only just squeak past the line. Feelings must have been tense for Refract Studios, they behind Nitronic Rush follow-up, Distance. They’ve crept over their $125,000 goal with a couple of days on the clock.

Not as close as some, admittedly, but only a week ago they were still a fifth short and seemed to have completely stalled. But as of this morning, they’re there. And the funny thing – as I write this, they’re all asleep in bed and probably haven’t noticed yet. What a fun thing to wake up to. It also makes their cocky video proven true:

This means we should hopefully see the gravity-resistant racer by May next year. They may even chuck out a couple of stretch goals for the last 60 hours, but we’ll see.

, , , .

1. caddyB says:

Yay! I’ve played Nitronic Rush for so long, I think I still have it ( and the soundtrack ) installed.

We used to compare times with my sister. Such a fun game.

2. Feferuco says:

They had an awesome game out already, they made a great kickstarter page and they had amazing footage show. Why didn’t they get 2093039% of their target?

• dee says:

How often did they update? That might be it. That or racing isn’t quite as popular as other genres.

• Xocrates says:

They’re up to update 13, that’s one update every other day.

It certainly wasn’t a problem on how the kickstarter was run, they were one of the most active and outreaching I’ve seen. They even added new reward tiers based on feedback and kept releasing new footage throughout.

Frankly, it amazes me it was so hard for them to get the funding.

• Megakoresh says:

Marketing. Most extremely successful kickstarters have really good marketing behind them in addition to large-scale investments. People are more likely to back a project if it’s certain to succeed, however retarded that may seem.

Refract would have probably got a ton more backers if TB would agree to help them out, but he didn’t and while they had some articles in Press, it can never do as much good as thousands of views on a video with a commentator that talks a lot of about how the game actually plays.

As for Nitronic Rush, it was a brilliant game, but it was:
      a) Too long ago to be marketing
      b) It didn’t “explode”.

Most failed Kickstarters are due to lack of marketing.

3. rustybroomhandle says:

Two spikes in funding worth mentioning. First was when they announced Linux support, and the second one was with the ‘parkour’ video.

Henke says:

As someone who’s been backing it since day 2 or 3, this has been a tense kickstarter to follow. There was a point there when half the time was up and they still hadn’t achieved half of their goal when things looked dire.

Big thanks to everyone else who backed as well, and MAD PROPS to whoever threw in $10000 for the arcademachine! :D

5. rustybroomhandle says:

Now everyone please go throw money at Maia. What the hell, people?

Hodge says:

LINKY.

I think it will scrape through in the end, but it’s kind of baffling that it hasn’t received more attention.

• InternetBatman says:

I don’t think it will succeed, which is sad because it looks neat and simoroth seems really nice from his RPS posts.

• Chizu says:

its slow, but so was Distance.
          I didn’t think Distance was gonna make it for a while.

Also, I backed both of these (and that game involving robots which partake in the hunt) day one~
          Maia should hopefully scrape by.

• InternetBatman says:

I compared the two and Maia is doing better than Distance was at this time, so you’re right, things are looking more hopeful for it. A gameplay trailer on the main page would greatly help, just like it did for distance.

• The First Door says:

I’ve only just looked at it for the first time… and I can kind of see why it has struggled a bit: the pitch video isn’t very informative. It is very atmospheric, but I struggled to understand much about it apart from that I like his influences. Is there any actual alpha gameplay footage floating around?

• Megakoresh says:

Nice thing you are doing here. I think they could do with a better video though. All these devs seem to think that smiling into camera and talking about 90s games is gonna get them a ton of support… Wrong!

A trailer with good music and good gameplay showoff, THAT is what gets you the backers. You may be a great developer, but you can’t expect people to buy something when they don’t even really understand what they are buying. What is a God game? How does it play? What if I never played Dungeon Keeper? Is it tower defence? So many questions.

If you are a backer, please get this information to Simon’s ears, or he will also make this mistake and will have to loose sleep in the last few days because he will be lacking a few thousand pounds.

• Synesthesia says:

oh, i want maia to get there so bad! I wish i wasnt unemployed atm. I’d play the fuck out of that.

6. povu says:

Excellent news.

7. MordeaniisChaos says:

That guy reminds me of the guy from My Hero…

8. Xocrates says:

Yay!

That is all.

MarkN says:

Really pleased it got there, but didn’t back it personally. I was holding off because I’ve already got a fair bit of cash in non-existing products at the moment, and it looked like it would get there without me. Will definitely pick this up when it’s released though.

It was also a decision between potentially backing this or Maia, so I may well throw some money at that now that this is over the line.

10. InternetBatman says:

It reached its goal with two days left. Given the boom on the last days of kickstarter, I don’t think this was as much of a squeaker as the article makes it out to be. It’ll probably hit $150 – $175k.

11. PedroBraz says:

And here I thought it was a game about flying mobile phones. Sure looks like it from the article picture.

12. LionsPhil says:

Interesting; the description says you’ll get a copy for Windows, Mac, or Linux. Usually the deal there is “and”.

13. fooga44 says:

I don’t think game developers realize there is kickstarter fatigue, ever since double fine every old game developer and their grandmother has asked for money. That gets on our nerves as gamers. Especially when you have no track record. The guys doing distance have a good idea but there’s no gaurantee that their project will turn out fun.

Rememeber – you’re only as good as your last game, if even pro game developers can screw up games then the risk is higher for fresh developers without much of a track record.