Little Inferno Kindles Release Day Fires

By Jim Rossignol on November 15th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Tomorrow Corporation’s combustion-based game, Little Inferno, has released a launch trailer, which you can see below. It’s still not much clearer how the game works, but it appears to be a game of burning things, and then buying new things to be burned, with a bunch of side-effects from the things which are turned to ashes. If you are intrigued you can now buy access to the beta over here, or the game is out proper on the 18th. I’ll have some thoughts on it for you in a day or so.

, .

RobF says:

Yup, it pretty much is -entirely- a game where you put things in an oven and set them on fire. Then use the money you get from setting stuff on fire to buy more stuff to set on fire.

Played it through last night and got one of what I assume is multiple endings but to be honest, the will isn’t exactly there to go through and spend another 3 hours putting stuff into a fire and burning them all over again to find out what happens when you follow a slightly different route of stuff burnt or to see if there’s any other choices you can make that make a difference.

The first half hour and a bit is quite magical when you’re still working out how stuff works, what’s going on etc… but after that? Nnng. Don’t know. Still don’t know how I feel about it. I still don’t know whether I actually enjoyed it or kept going on faith.

• Dana says:

Well colour me disappointed. I expected some nifty logic puzzler like Goo was.

Smashbox says:

This actually sounded interesting until I realized they were charging fifteen dollars. Wat.

• Allenomura says:

I saw the trailer, and I thought the style, tone and the concept could be entertaining. Then, I looked at the “Zero Waste” heading on the site, and other references to the game’s length, and, if it is a one-trick pony at $15…that’s a bit of an ask – and, I do find the lack of any game-flow examples (screens, trailer whatever to show how the game plays) telling and offputting.
      The idea’s smart, and the result may be funny – safety info in the flames first! :D But I’m not sure I want to burn my money on this :(

• The Random One says:

Too bad… I was hoping this to at least be a metaphor for rampant consumerism and/or mindless escapism. But then, I expect everything to be a metaphor.

• Allenomura says:

After the first trailer, that was what I hoped for, too. That they were using this deliberately bold/brash presentation to do something along those lines, playing out through a series of chapters a story of some kind.

RobF says:

To be fair, I think what it is is for the better for not going there, at least not in any sort of heavy handed manner. It’s way, way more Capra and given that’s an angle that games don’t explore, they totally have my respect for punting Little Inferno in that direction.

Obviously, I’d have been happier with a stronger game but I can’t fault where they’re angling, games with a heart are shockingly few on the ground and we’ve not got a great record on making things magical. Also, it’s a Christmas game! Nobody makes actual-real-Xmas games. (The Official Father Christmas game does not count).

2. Mud says:

I’m a pyromaniac, I was looking for this to kill day time.

3. addam666 says:

I am burning with desire to play this.

• His Dudeness says:

My desire has already gone up in smoke.

• The Random One says:

I was stoked to play this, but their trailers failed to kindle my excitement.

4. jatan says:

i pre ordered this on 13 july- there was a promise of screen shots more info and access to beta (i think for some)on the website the day i order- they changed this later… i think i saw a screen shot scanned from some Nintendo magazine about 3 weeks ago- thats it- so its nice to see a game play trailer 2 days before release…

have to say :)…. i feel burned…

but seriously bit crap service/pr/, game does not look my bag, so feel a bit of a mug -last time i jump on the pre-order with them- still here is hoping i love it in the end

• Bhazor says:

The handling of this has really pissed me off. Using there indie credibility, for that one game they made, to manipulate people into paying for something with zero information about it.

The Indies can be dicks too.

Oozo says:

Same here. I actually was still waiting for an update, so the fact that it already was in my Humble Bundle-account waiting for me in version 0.8 or something comes as a surprise. As comes the fact that it’s destined to be out, like… proto-now?

It’s very confusing, and not good service to boot.

Plus: I hate it when games just choose a language for me and then do not give me an in-game option to change it. Seriously: Stop doing that, world.

• TechnicalBen says:

Sadly, I only had 1 experience with this dev team, and it was similar. Got out my Card to pay and purchase the game direct to support the team, to find out they withdrew World of Goo to go through a console elusive deal only (for about 12 months, no PC purchases at all!). Fail IMO.

5. Bhazor says:

Oh.
    So it’s an iPhone game.

Moving on.

Lim-Dul says:

I can definitely see the Tomorrow Corporation’s unique touch in this (i.e. the “World-of-Goo touch”).

• RakeShark says:

Aye, I’m thinking of picking this up for the art and music. The gameplay might surprise me.

• allen says:

except there is no gameplay. literally all you do is put stuff in a fire.

7. Spoon Of Doom says:

I loved World of Goo, but this… I don’t know. It looks like something that might be fun for a few minutes as a mobile/tablet/browser time killer, but I’m not sure I’m seeing enough to qualify it as a “real” game with an all too real price of fifteen dollars. Is there something I’m missing here? Seems more like it should be a minigame inside something else, if all you do is put stuff in an oven and burn it.

• Baines says:

The more positive comments online tend to say stuff like “you can’t say anything without spoiling anything”, “It’s also an excruciatingly difficult game to explain what it’s about.”, and “These things weren’t covered because…well, you can’t cover them. It’s not in any way as straight forward as you might expect.” (Actual quotes, the last by a NintendoLife reviewer after a commenter pointed out the positive review had said almost nothing about the gameplay or what made the game fun.)

Which could mean there is more to the game that you are missing… Or could mean that there really isn’t anything more to the game, and it is only something that certain people will find good.

Without playing the game, but having read a bit about it from people who have played it, I believe I have an idea what its gameplay is like. If so, then there isn’t that much to the mechanic, and people positive about the game don’t even want to describe that mechanic (calling it spoilers to brush around it), but to me it isn’t a $15 game mechanic even with the graphics and other trappings.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

I fully accept that there might be more to the game and that I might be missing out on something. But I’m not convinced enough to bet 15$ on it.
        Maybe I’ll pick it up out of curiousity should it happen to end up in a Steam sale, a bundle or whatever, but otherwise I’ll pass. My backlog is big enough as it is.

8. caddyB says:

I bet they’ll blame pirates for low sales.

9. Phasma Felis says:

Hard to believe that only one of the two World of Goo guys is on this, given that it looks and sounds exactly like World of Goo with fire instead of goo. From the comments so far, maybe they kept the guy who does graphics and sound and lost the one who does gameplay.

This means 2D Boy will never publish anything again, doesn’t it? For some reason all these one-game indie publishers irk me. 2D Boy, Bit Blot…you could just name your company after your one game and save me valuable mindspace! STOP USING UP MY PRECIOUS MEMORY.

Hypocee says:

That’s exactly what happened – it’s Kyle Gabler, who did all the art/sound/music for World of Goo, which was extended from his original prototype Tower of Goo. Ron Carmel’s role in 2D Boy was usually described as ‘programmer’, though I understand he had a voice in the design as well.

The impression forming around this one is that it’s a digital toy, not a game. Something of a return to the Experimental Gameplay Project, then…but at fifteen bucks a pop. This…bodes well.

10. Brainkite says:

For me World of Goo was really a great game like we see so few. Great gameplay, great physic based puzzles, great atmosphere and lot of content and detail. great music too. Their concept beta “tower of goo” was already midblowing and really funny to play.
    I still have a great affection for that game.

Now i’m thinking that they were just two good game designers who happened to find an awsome idea at this time.
    But without the awsome idea… they are just two “average” game developpers making an average indie game.

Still gave them 15$ for all the joy i had on World of Goo

Hate the thing with the arm going aroud the screen.

The Sombrero Kid says:

I wasn’t entirely convinced by the concept but the beta is absolutly excellent in much the same way as World of Goo was

12. Pilmer says:

Finally registered to comment… typical class act from Tomorrow Corp. Grim reflection on our dead-end consumerist hegemony, wrapped in an affecting metaphor for global warming/the planet losing its shit. It’s as though they put that scary big-lipped supermodel Goo through the Sunset Boulevard treatment. Love it and can’t wait for the official release. High quality “interactive toy” in the vein of Vectorpark’s games. Plus the soundtrack is AWESOME.

Matt_W says:

Don’t know what all the complaints are about; the game is really very enjoyable. One of the best physics simulators I’ve seen. Each of the items has a unique interaction with the flames (and occasionally with the other items, e.g. the moon has gravity and will cause many flaming items to orbit itself. Now I’m curious to see what happens if I put two moons in there…) The gamey part is figuring out the combos and such. I’ll admit that $15 is what I expect to pay for a really top-tier indie game, and this one seems somewhat short, but the art, interface, and ideas here are pretty top-notch.