Watch Valve’s The International 2012 Documentary

By Jim Rossignol on November 16th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Valve – little-known Washington-based developers of Richochet and Alien Swarm – have been working on another project for the past couple of years. It’s a remake of an obscure mod called “Defense Of The Ancients”. This unlikely sequel has been a surprise hit, with “computer gamers” from all over the world saying that it’s “quite good” and “maybe I’ll play just a bit more”. This rash streak of acceptance has recently culminated in a championship of some kind, mysteriously dubbed “The International 2012″.

Valve took their camcorders and video-phones along to capture the event – which took place in some kind of space center – as you can see below.

Footnote 1a: The grand prize for this tournament was ONE MILLION DOLLARS. That’s about twenty-five thousand Space Credits, or seventy-eight pieces of Fantasy Index Platinum.

, .

1. Text_Fish says:

I have no memory at all of DOTA2 being released. Is that weird?

• Surlywombat says:

It’s still on an invite basis I believe.

• sockpuppetclock says:

That’s because it’s still technically in beta…

• mr.ioes says:

While not being considered a beta. Officially. It’s in a yet-to-be-defined state.

• fallingmagpie says:

If you put a game in a box, and it’s impossible to see inside the box, then the game can be said to both live, and in beta, at the same time.

Schrodinger’s MOBA.

• Robomutt says:

I appear to have DOTA2 and have no memory of getting it. Is that weird?

• Carbonated Dan says:

that would be the dota 2 game and watch client, a cunning device which misleads all and sundry

• Robomutt says:

Ooh I’ve got an old Game’n'Watch somewhere. Didn’t realise Valve made them ;-)

…Actually I had wondered if this was the “spectator” client, but it is well misleading…

• Jhoosier says:

Did you sign up for it? I was prodded to by friends a long while ago, and evidently got it without realizing it.

• Metonymy says:

Yep, still definitely waiting for this game to actually release. It’s quite amusing, that they think I’m going to ‘sign up’ etc etc etc

Mainly I wanted to make my usual condescending remarks. It’s a bit of a dry spell for those of us who hate intensely.

2. Giuseppe says:

DOTA. The game I love to hate.

3. Pazguato says:

This game deserves a mockumentary instead.

4. Nesetalis says:

I love dota2 :p great fun.. really difficult, but fun!
    Also, have two copies of the invite if anyone wants XD they have been spamming them out like mad lately.. Really they should just throw up a few dozen more servers and open the game up public.. they are already making tons of money off it.

• Oichean says:

Could I have one? my steam name is “Oichean Frosteye”

• mr.ioes says:

If anyone else needs an invite, I’ve got two of them sitting here.

• Carbonated Dan says:

I have a friend who would be happy to have one, add a #PEAS a space after dan and you’ll find me on steam

• Logical says:

I want an invitation so bad!, my steam name is sonry_crak

• Leandro says:

Hey, I’d love to have a key as well, please! Steam name is landovers

• ExecutionersBong says:

Also have one copy left if anybody wants. Add Lavatory Love Machine

• Beelzebud says:

Honest question. How do people end up with multiple keys for DOTA, while some people still have never got an invite?

• skinlo says:

Because Valve gives people who have copies more copies so they can play with their friends.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I would assume that most of these people got multiple keys through trade hoarding, before Valve got smart and banned them from doing so.

• zeroskill says:

Good. Keep assuming.

• SkittleDiddler says:

If I’m wrong, just come out and say so. I would appreciate it.

• zeroskill says:

Well, yes you are wrong, nobody is hoarding invites as you say, since they aren’t worth anything anymore. They used to be worth quite a bit back a year ago, when they were rare, the demand was high and there wasn’t the ability to buy an invite from Valve directly, which was a messure to regulate the rediculous black market prices for Dota 2 invites. But even back then, nobody was able to “hoard” them, because if somebody got an invite, they would never give it away by simply trading it. They would either sell the invite, or give it to a friend.

Also, Valve banned people for what? “trade hoarding”? What? Why would Valve ban people for trading valueable items in their games? That doesn’t make any sense. It’s not against any rules to trade items and hoard them. And why would it be smart to ban people that trade and hoard items. I think that would be quite the opposite of smart. I’ve never heard of such a thing.

• Mirdini says:

Well you are wrong, because Valve does do exactly what skinlo said above you. Just a week ago they did another invite wave, with most players getting 3-6 invite keys to give out. I’d never gotten any to give out before, and suddenly I ended up with 5 myself.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Thank you for clarifying. I have to wonder though: why doesn’t Valve just hand out more random invites? It would be just as effective, if not more so, than giving handfuls of keys to players who already have access to the game. At the very least it would help stymy all the hoarding they were so concerned about when DotA2 entered beta.

Also, a cursory glance at the Steam forums makes it look like DotA2 beta key trading is still going on. I guess I was mistaken.

• zeroskill says:

It is actually much more effective to hand out beta invites to existing beta players, since I’d say anybody who really wanted to get into the beta, is in it by now. By handing out multiple keys to existing beta players, they can reach people that possible havn’t considered the game yet. As in, friends of dedicated Dota players. Also, by giving keys to existing players, the game becomes more enjoyable to play because Dota is at its best when you play it in a team of friends.

And I don’t really see why you are so concened about trading beta invites. It is perfectly ok to trade your beta invite key, for lets say a bunch of consmetics, or TF2 items, or even for a cheap indie game. It’s not against the rules. If Valve didn’t want people to trade the invites, they could just make them untradable. What is against the rules is selling Dota invites for real money outside of Steam.

Anyway, if you are still looking for an invite to Dota 2, it’s pretty easy to get one, look how many people are giving them away in this comment section alone.

• Eschatos says:

For whatever reason I got a new gift version of Dota 2 every day over the last week. No idea why.

5. Salt says:

Is there a specific lens or something that’s used to make documentaries these days?
    There’s a common shot where a subject is shown in focus while computer screens just a few feet further away are quite intensely out of focus with pronounced “bokeh” effects from the blurring of the bright light.

• Fazer says:

Any semiprofessional and professional lenses can do that, they have low appearture numbers (can open a large hole for light that also produces small depth of field).

Durkonkell says:

It’s common to shoot with Digital SLRs now too, which have huge sensors compared with traditional camcorders. Larger sensors contribute to a shallower depth of field (more background blur) especially when combined with a low-aperture lens.

EDIT: Relatively inexpensive too. A £500 EOS 600D with a £95 EF 50mm 1.8 will give you incredibly shallow DoF and excellent quality while costing less than a top end consumer camcorder let alone professional kit. When I worked in pro-video you’d routinely spend £4000 on a portable non-interchangeable lens camcorder. Mental.

6. zeroskill says:

This is wierd. Why was I in the believe Valve was based in Seattle. Confusing.

• arioch says:

They are just across the lake from Seattle.. both are in Washington :]

• Jahkaivah says:

I was under a similar impression at one point. I think it was because Valve had said that one of the reasons they liked employing Ellen McClain for voice acting was because she lived in Seattle which was local to them. Which gave the impression that they were located in Seattle themselves.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Washington state, not DC.

• dragonfliet says:

It’s essentially a suburb of Seattle. People call it Seattle because, you know, the greater Seattle (or Peugeot Sound) area is simply too much of a mouthful

7. Beelzebud says:

Never heard of this “Valve” company. Once I get access to what the kids call the “internet”, I’ll have to look in to this.

8. dmoe says:

This game is so ridiculously infectious. A PLAGUE! Speaking of plagues, have you guys seen the cool live Dota 2 map?

9. Solskin says:

one million dollars? srsly?

• dmoe says:

Valve was only kidding to lure the teams there. The real prize was a Dota 2 t-shirt…from last year.

• Kakkoii says:

Yuuuup! And it was $1m a year ago for the first International as well. It’s what pushed Riot to start giving actual significant amounts of money for their big yearly competition

10. eueisdfb says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

11. sbs says:

Just came to say I got two Dota 2′s in my steam inventory, if anybody wants them add somebodyshootme.

12. bananaeater says: