Ten Thousand Hawken Beta Keys, Just Here

By Jim Rossignol on November 20th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Hello, you. The Hawken beta gets into full swing today, and I think you might want a key, because it’s looking rather good. Fortunately for us, Meteor have provided an RPS “superkey” with ten thousand uses. That means the first ten thousand of you to enter it into the Hawken site will get your eager paws on the controls of a robot today. Get going!

The key, instructions, and a trailer, are below.

- Go to www.playhawken.com
- Enter the Superkey code “HAWKEN_RPS” into the Redeem section
- Download the client
- Follow onscreen instructions

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Andrew Tsai says:

Thanks for the key RPS!

• Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

Yeah fanx.

Apparently I am “not authorised to access this version”.

Why don’t time-locked betas allow pre-downloading like wot Steam does?

Why don’t time-locked betas include a world-time clock so us filthy foreigners don’t have to google what the heck “12pm Pacific” is supposed to mean?

• Vjaas says:

You cant see me but at this moment, Im raising my glass of milk to you, already ate the cookies, but then again, you dont raise a cookie.. Anyhoo, CHEERS!

• DeVadder says:

Thank you RPS, now i just have to wait for this 20th of November, a day that apparently is in the future.

2. BobbyDylan says:

cool.

3. Theory says:

The Redeem Code link is in the top-right corner. I didn’t even spot it when I searched the page!

4. CameO73 says:

Ok, I have registered and redeemed the code. But where can I download the client? Or do I have to wait till the beta starts?

5. SuperNashwanPower says:

Anyone get this to work on mobile? I want to register then download client later when I get home. Help!

There’s no redeem link anywhere

6. Hunchback says:

Thanks guys, can’t wait to try this one out!

7. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Key #9994 is now taken :).
    Thanks!

8. bit.bat says:

thank you RPS!

9. Xzi says:

Hmm, this looks better than MWO, I feel. They ended up doing pretty well where mech variation is concerned, but the map and mode variation is practically non-existent in MWO.

More importantly, I prefer a more action-oriented approach to mechs. Otherwise you just end up with a ton of LRM boats blowing you up from halfway across the map, with very little twitch skill required.

• Taidan says:

Apart from the themes and settings, MWO and Hawken are both very different games. Most players will probably gravitate towards one or the other based on their own preference for the type of gameplay each offers over any other factors.

I personally much prefer the gameplay of MWO over Hawken’s offering, but objectively speaking, Hawken appears to be in the hands of much more competent developers than MWO. As a result, I’ll probably spend very little time with either.

• PoulWrist says:

They’re very, very different games, gameplaywise. Hawken doesn’t do the advanced gear setup that you have in MWO, you don’t have internal systems that can break, critical hits, armor systems and the like. Hawken is Call of Duty, but in a mech. It’s fast, it’s entertaining, and it requires that high level of constant awareness, movement and twitch that a good arena shooter should. But, that’s about all it is so far, a good arena shooter.. and from what I can tell, it’s all it’s going to remain in future? Unless there are plans to include more than they have now.

At least with MWO you have a ridiculously ambitious project, that looks to be in the hands of perfectly capable developers. The impatience and demands of speed fromt he community there is just silly.

• Taidan says:

If by “perfectly capable” you mean “perfectly capable of catastrophically and repeatedly missing their own deadlines, failing to fix critical systems and bugs that have been around for months, while creating more problems every patch, and failing to address many longstanding balance issues, despite forum-goers repeatedly detailing said issues with mathematical certainty and freely offering up excellent and elegant solutions”, then yes, I entirely agree with you.

I wasn’t going to reply to your initial hyperbolic posting, due to it being patch day again, and still having the weakest sliver of hope in my heart… But the patch just hit, and surprising nobody it’s a disaster, with critical scheduled fixes yet again slipping away into the ether, all with no communication from PGI. So basically, same as every other patch.

It’s all very well having admirable levels of ambition for your game, but let’s face it, if things carry on the way they have for the last few months, the game isn’t going to live long enough to see those ambitions come to life, especially given the terrible payment model they’ve chosen. I don’t know what’s going on inside that studio, but MWO is clearly suffering from epic levels of mismanagement at the moment. It’s a diabolical shame, as the mechs themselves and their core combat mechanics, netcode not withstanding, are excellent.

• Vorphalack says:

I can’t even play MWO at the moment. I had to remove it a few months ago, it didn’t uninstall properly, and now Windows still thinks its on my hard drive. Now the client refuses to install and I can’t remove the bad program data without a format : | Sounds like it’s gotten slightly worse than when I last played it.

10. Joeliiyy says:

Very nice! Thanks for this RPS :)

11. Ninja Foodstuff says:

For once we get the drop on the colonials! Yeehaa!

12. Stardog says:

Nice. Got one.

13. GuffnStuff says:

Maybe it’s just me with the soft brain, but it took me a while to figure out how to redeem the code… For others with similar afflictions:

“How do I redeem my code?
    Got your hands on a Closed Beta code? Congrats! Log into your account (or create one!) on the PlayHawken.com website. See on the upper right side of the navigation bar there? That little section that says “Redeem Code”? Click that and put your code in!”

14. Fitzmogwai says:

Rock on. With this and MWO, I’m in giant stompy robot heaven. Thank you RPS!

15. wagner-felix says:

Thanks for a key.

16. Davie says:

Well, bugger, this on the same day PS2 is released. And I’m still enjoying Chivalry. Spoilt for multiplayer, I am.

17. GameCat says:

0/10 for website design. I clicked “playhawken” link and it takes me to the discussion board. Where the fuck is client download link? Am I supposed to search some topics for it? There should be shiny huge button “CLIENT DOWNLOAD IS HERE GODDAMN”.

18. westyfield says:

Any idea how long this beta lasts? I.e., is it worth my redeeming a key when I won’t be able to play before early December?

19. Lokik says:

Thank you for the key! Almost makes me sad I will be spending 2½ months in Brazil instead of freezing back home and playing Hawken.

20. ElElegante says:

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!

21. znisses says:

Thank you RPS! You already made my day (and the show has to start still :)) Looking forward to playing!

22. Armante says:

thank you! :)

(also – same day as PS2?? I’ll be downloading that first! ;)

23. SuperNashwanPower says:

After 30 minutes of trying to get this to work, the REDEEM link just loops constantly back to the homepage. Shit webpage of the year award.

Wouldn’t mind but am doing this from work before the keys run out.

• Xzi says:

I wouldn’t worry about the key running out of uses any time soon.

• Mattressi says:

You might be missing or have an outdated plugin (Java? Flash?). When I clicked “redeem code” a little box popped up from that button, rather than opening a new window or taking you to a different page. I assume it used some kind of Flash/Java thingy.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I was doing it on my galaxy s3 using dolphin browser. Also tried chrome. Pretty sure dolphin has java and defo has flash. At lunch my employer de-restricts internet so I finally got in and redeemed using a pc

WAS EIN HASSLES JA?

• hjd_uk says:

Adblock / NoScript / Etc blocking it?

24. commanderW says:

your the best RPS

25. smiddy says:

Thanks guys!

26. f69 says:

Yay. Thanks guys.

27. mondomau says:

Cheers RPS!

28. DrScuttles says:

Grabbed one earlier but forgot to say thanks, like the free cheese on the counter at the back of Morrisons. I’m going to skip the first seven and just go to step 8 and apologise. Sorry cheese lady and RPS. Thanks cheese lady and RPS!

29. Real Horrorshow says:

This is the first time in my life that I haven’t been too late for something like this.

30. hjd_uk says:

Awesome, thanks RPS! > Registerd as __H__

31. Rhodri2311 says:

Cheers RPS! Been looking forward to this.

32. Tizoc says:

Yes! Thanks!

33. Dyrwen says:

Thanks for the keys, RPS!

34. mesic says:

anybody else is getting the “you are not authorized to acces this version” error when logging into the game?

35. Ricochet64 says:

Thanks, RPS! I’ll have fun blasting you people to flaming pieces of metal scrap on the battlefield! :D because war is SO cheery!

36. namad says:

i can’t find the redeem button, did the offer end?

37. durns says:

Thanks gents!

38. lumpeh says:

Those ‘Vanguard Offers’ remind me far too much of WarZ. Kinda lost my appetite for now :(

39. terrence says:

hey dudes, you just have to be logged in to see the redeem code button.

As long as you’re logged inthe REDEEM CODE link is right up on the top of the page

Comment on this story