An Eyeful Of Far Cry 3’s Multiplayer

By Nathan Grayson on November 21st, 2012 at 9:00 am.

I wish all mind-melting nerve gases made everything look this cool.

In a fashion not entirely dissimilar from real-life games like croquet and sex, first-person shooters have recently started adding “multiple players” modes. Far Cry 3 – in spite of its focus on “singular players” and the islands who love them – is no different. But how does it even work? I mean, we know that its servers are of a fickle, wayward nature, but will it be worth the possible hassle in spite of that? Let’s investigate. Machete your way through the break’s overgrown jungles to see some footage. Oh, but do keep an eye out for wildlife. We don’t have any tigers roaming these parts, but Alec is startled by sudden movements and has been known to attack.

That was a lot of running and gunning. Oh, but apparently teamwork’s also a major focus – you know, in the same way it is in every other multiplayer shooter. Revive people, capture points together, etc. It remains to be seen, however, if that’ll be enough to keep people from succumbing to wander/murder lust and Rambo-ing their way through the wide-open jungles.

I am, however, quite optimistic about Firestorm mode, because it’s rife with potential for multi-layered moral quandaries and revealing peeks into mankind’s skeleton-ridden closet. No wait, the other thing: fire. But Far Cry’s fire tech is quite spectacular, and some of my favorite Far Cry 2 moments came when everything was ablaze, the entire battlefield erupting into a final, smoky scream. So even if that part’s not quite so spontaneous in this mode, I’m still expecting some excellent moments.

And then there’s that whole final move thing. With actual tea-bagging. That looks really, really dumb. Yep.

Overall, though, Far Cry 3’s multiplayer looks like it’ll be a nice enough distraction from the main event. There’s no telling yet whether it’ll have legs or not, but it seems like Ubisoft at least put some thought into it, so here’s hoping.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Caiman says:

People shooting at each other with weapons. How quaint. I’d rather be able to play a bear and run up to people and tear their arms off. But no, it’s another manshoot.

• gravity_spoon says:

Might wanna try A: CM multiplayer then. While not exactly a bear, being a xeno is much better IMO.

• Bennus says:

Why not hug them?

• Rhuhuhuhu says:

Natural Selection 2 is yours. It has two teams, Colonial Space Marines and aliens trying to murder each other in a gentleman’s fashion, with base building, team play and the occasional flame-thrower.

Far Cry 3 seems oke. But compared to how Far Cry 2 looked and how it turned out, I wish to play save and I would not bet any money on it for now. It might be epic, but if so, I can always buy it later.

Gap Gen says:

I guess you have a constitutional right to bear arms.

Sorry, someone had to go there.

2. philbot says:

Looks like it brings some pretty interesting stuff to the multiplayer FPS… the nerve gas and fires sounds awesome. The MP is really just icing on the cake though…This game is coming with enough content already. Let’s just hope the p2p hosting doesn’t ruin it :/

3. Cuban Pete says:

No capture the flag and no vehicles? Well there goes any interest I had in the games multiplayer mode. Nice to see the editor back at least, some nice improvements to it too.

4. Furius says:

FC2 had multiplayer. And a pretty god map editor too (not that I ever used it).

• Strangineer says:

Didn’t FC1 have multiplayer too?

• SystemiK says:

Da fuck? I played through Far Cry 2 twice and never noticed an MP mode. How is this even possible?

I am so ashamed right now…

• defunkt says:

“Pretty good” is a something of an understatement; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt_Up8ZPB5w

The fire mechanic was great too.

Don’t remember its name but there was a multiplayer mode where each team had a leader who was the only member that could capture points, the goal being to capture all the points after which you had to kill the enemy leader to win. I thought this was nicely evocative of a lot of conflict in Africa.

I didn’t pick it up (cheap) until well after the multiplayer had died but I thought it probably deserved to do well. Had an annoying fatigue system but it was possible to mod this out.

5. Pryde says:

First Far Cry had a surprisingly cool multiplayer mode. Don’t know what hooked me there exactly, but I still remember those tons of fun. And this new one… meh, looks like another generic Call of Cry, sadly.

6. SandmanXC says:

I’m sorry but I can’t trust trailers with this fucking stupid “blockbuster” voice. I simply cannot.

7. Avish says:

That trailer actually put me off buying FC3 for the single player.
    Official humiliation (tea bagging and stuff like that) of your opponent? Is this game aimed at people older than 11?

• vasek45 says:

What an elitist you are!
      I’m 18 and it’s still fun to teabag your opponent (or a friend, while talking to him on skype).
      It’s not like doing silly things stops being fun once you hit a certain age, or is it? It’s like saying that people who are mature can’t enjoy Saint’s Row (hint: even my father who’s 57 does enjoy it).
      The only good point about MP is that it’s most likely going to be inferior to what other games offer and may have come at a cost of better SP campaign. However, it’s not like FC3’s a game which tries to be as serious as say Spec Ops:The Line.

• Pryde says:

Errm, well, SR3 is a grotesque farce in the first place and it never feels shy for it. For me personally there is nothing wrong with the teabagging when it doesn’t feel out of place. Teabagging in SR3 multiplayer – omg, lol, AT YOU FACE!!!11 And that’s perfectly fine and suits this crazy illogical atmosphere that reigns there. But in FC3 teabagging just feels out of place. Like a cheap attempt to appeal to a certain crowd, which I personally try to avoid to play with. It’s like if a new Silent Hill would feature “licensed incredible boobs mechanic of Team Ninja’s games!!!11″.

• The Random One says:

And that’s about the time they perma banned me
        Nobody likes it when you’re twenty-three
        And you’re still amused by tea-bagging kills
        What the hell you mean by GG
        I’m never gonna act my age
        What’s my age again
        What’s my age again

Gap Gen says:

That psyche gas effect does look mighty cool. I want enemies that look like that all the time. If only to stop me sleeping quite so much at night.

9. SuicideKing says:

“burn your enemies alive”

I’m not quite sure but…isn’t gloating over this feature a bit…i dunno. Kind of find it excessively violent. Not that the rest of it isn’t, but…doesn’t make me feel great about it.

I’ll probably just let people go, the tea-bagging thing looks sort of stupid IMO.

• sabasNL says:

The humilitation of your opponents is something that fits perfectly with the single player story. Sick? Yes. Intended? Yes.

10. max pain says:

A little too hard on the SSAO, no? You can see thick black shadows around everything.

11. goatmonkey says:

Does anyone know why this and other recent Ubisoft games (Assassins Creed 3) are not available on the UK Steam store when they are everywhere else?

12. The Random One says:

Multi-player sex? That’ll never catch on. I only play sex for the story.

13. sabasNL says:

I was quite skeptical but this looks like a fun addition. Let’s hope it turns out as great as they want.