From On High: Molyneux Launches God Game Kickstarter

By Jim Rossignol on November 21st, 2012 at 6:25 pm.

Molyneux’s new company, 22Cans, has launched a £450,000 Kickstarter called Project GODUS. Behold: “It’s an innovative reinvention of Populous, the original god game and delivers exciting global co-operation, competition, creation and destruction to a whole new generation.”

Video below. Watch.

Honestly, I am not quite sure what to think. On the one hand I thought the Curiosity “experiments” might have been leading up to something genuinely weird and new, and on the other, if he goes all in on making the ultimate god game… Not that Curiosity was a particularly promising first step, either.

But then, if we’re going to get a load of space games like it’s the mid-90s again, why not god games, too? I just don’t know if this is the right way to do it.

Yeah, it’s an interesting one. I can’t wait to see what happens here. And September next year suddenly looks a lot more intriguing.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Pathetic Phallacy says:

What bullshit! Maybe Microsoft will use Kickstarter to help fun its next operating system.

2. luukdeman111 says:

This name is sillier then GODFACE!

3. Ed says:

Just wondering if anyone’s mentioned Maia yet. They have, you say?

So yeah, if you want a Bullfrog-spirited game by people who still have some passion and hunger, please do back Maia

(I did, probably going to up my bid too)

Echoing what someone said waaay above, Molyneux and Kickstarter seems like an especially problematic combination. Add this one to the pile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_%28video_game%29

4. MOKKA says:

As much as I like the Idea of the game itself, I have to say I’m a bit dissapointed that Mr. Molyneux and his new Studio couldn’t come up with something more creative.

5. Arcanon says:

I never played Populous or Black & White, but I loved Populous: The Beginning on the PS1….the one every Populous fan hates xD

Anyway, gameplay video or gtfo Molyneux!

6. buzzmong says:

£450k? That’s rather cheap considering it states on the KS page they have a team of 22 people. At an assumed average salary of £20k pa that’s £440k right there, and if you’ve ever looked at costs, salary is only part of the cost of an employee.

Methinks he’s doing something similar to what Chris Roberts has done with Star Citizen, and has a deal with private investors that’ll only go ahead if the KS campaign is successful.

Still, I’ll probably put some money on this. Maybe without publisher pressure he and his team might be able to make a rather interesting game.

7. Hulk Handsome says:

Speaking of God games, how is From Dust? I liked the demo but never bought it. Did they get rid of all the DRM? Is that DLC they talked about ever going to come about?

I wonder if it’s on sale on steam…

• Spoon Of Doom says:

I liked the game, playing with the terrain and altering the flow of lava and water is fun. It has some issues (control is not the always the best), but if you can get it on a sale, it’s definitely worth it.

8. SkittleDiddler says:

Mr. Molyneux needs to eat a bit of humble pie. I hope this kickstarter fails and he is forced to go through traditional channels to make his next shitty game.

9. terry says:

Co-op? If I’m going to play god, I dont want no stinking pantheon ruining my castles :P

10. nickylee says:

At first I was like “WHAT?!” because Molyneux was saying he wanted to do 22 experiments and then cap it off with the game that would define his career and when I read the story above I thought we’d skipped several steps. After reading the Kickstarter pitch, though, I realize that this is basically experiment 2. It certainly could have been clearer.

11. Hematite says:

Article should be titled Waiting for Godus. I gift this pun to you, RPS, use it wisely.

12. mwoody says:

I’ve yet to see mention of the weirdest part of this kikcstarter: unless I’m misreading this, there’s a limit to the number of people who can support the simple “buy the game” tier. Very weird decision.

Oh, and supportr Maia. And From Dust was very good, if a little linear.

• Mctittles says:

In my opinion anyone who donates any amount of money to a kickstarter project should get a copy of the game. If I borrowed money from my friends to make a game, I’d at least give them a free copy when I was done.

13. BruceFnLee says:

Only a fool would believe a word out of Peter Molyneux’s mouth. The man consistently lies about his products.

14. Ratchet says:

Was I the only one looking for 22 cans of something while watching the video?

15. MiloticMaster says:

…There’s nothing here.
    He didnt explain the game or anything- no protoype- no ‘this is what we want to achieve-’
    He just talked about Populous and dreams and stuff.
    How the heck does he expect me to kickstart something so vague?
    (The kickstarter itself as more info though, but still…)

16. Frank says:

If Peter Molyneux, armed with only nostalgia and his usual penchant for hype, cannot destroy KS (as Walker and others have been predicting all year), nothing can.

This is pure nostalgia, right? They’re going to go back to Molyneux’s old ideas and reimagine them, trying to get to the core of the enigma that is his genius, eh? Why couldn’t his original teams succeed in doing that?

• b0rsuk says:

His “Why Kickstarter” paragraph is actually self-contradicting. It mentions being more open about the development and having some freedom, yet is so vague it reads almost like marketingspeak. He doesn’t really mention why this time it would be different.

I almost hope that his Kickstarter fails. He certainly deserves it if he fails to come up with more information and working prototypes.

17. b0rsuk says:

This thread doesn’t mention Maia enough. It’s a god game in hard SF setting. Inspired by games like Dungeon Keeper, Dwarf Fortress, Theme Hospital.

Their Kickstarter page shows actual in-game footage and a lot more concept art than Godus.

18. c-Row says:

I would rather kickstart this than read yet another comment about Maia. YES, WE GOT YOUR FUCKING POINT!

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Except that doing one won’t save you from the other and in fact you can (attempt to) do neither.

I’m not that big on this genre, but with Molyneux.. regardless of genre I’m going to be interested in seeing what will come of it, but I’m certainly not going to pledge towards it.

19. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Can’t help but notice that this is a backwards-looking kickstarter too. “Let’s go back to the glory days! It’ll be brand new and exciting!”

I’m also touched by the graph at the end that essentially says 1. Form a team 2. Make games 3. ???? 4. Change gaming as we know it.

20. MadMatty says:

Im hoping for a original populous style game, NOT “populous the beginning” which was very dissapointing for me.
    Or a Black & White-ish game without the giant retarded schizophrenic monkey.

21. Suits says:

“we learned from Curiosity” Yeah, I’m sure you have it all analyzed already.

22. Lemming says:

At first I was all ‘Yay!’

but then… “Wait..wasn’t Black and White supposed to be his interpretation of a modern Populous? And doesn’t he stand by that game as being good, when it is, in fact, a pile of overreaching shit?”

And now “Good luck Molyneux! ” while waving from the sidelines

EDIT: But I just backed Maia. That shit looks brilliant.

23. lamontagne says:

Congrats on making the BBC, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20444159. Ding!

24. Charles de Goal says:

I hope this will be innovative enough to have a Linux version.

Comment on this story