Hexcellent: Super Hexagon PC-Bound Next Week

By Nathan Grayson on November 21st, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Never look up videos of people beating this game. It will break you.

After a fair deal of ugliness concerning its sort-of-evil clone, Super Hexagon is finally, definitely, mark-it-in-your-calendar-ably twisting and turning its way onto PC. Which is great, because the, um, third-person hexagoner – a diabolical product of the evilest brain trapped inside a very nice person – is a masochistically compulsive good time. But creator Terry Cavanagh declared it as little as two weeks out from launch back in September. So what exactly took so long? Well, have you ever re-coded an entire game before?

Cavanagh explained the situation in a blog post announcing Super Hexagon’s November 27th Steam release date:

“I’m sorry this has taken so long. I appreciate your patience with me! I wanted to launch much sooner than this, but ultimately I just wasn’t happy with the performance of the Flash version. So, I knuckled down and rewrote everything in C++ – this new version of the game runs at a higher resolution than the iOS version, and runs fast and silky smooth on every machine I’ve been able to get my hands on – a very important thing for a game like this.”

I’ve spent a little time with an early build, and sure enough, it feels excellent. It’s also reaffirmed my belief that I’m the worst Super Hexagon player on Earth, but that’s neither here nor there. Except maybe it is. This version’s feature set is pretty much identical to the mobile version’s, so even the easiest mode will still demolish most new players in seconds. And sure, a trial-by-fire makes eventual victory all the sweeter, but I can’t help but think Open Hexagon might’ve had the right idea with a plethora of customization options. Admittedly, I’m sure Cavanagh can add those as he pleases, but right now, it’s Super Hexagon in its purest form.

That said, it’s going for $2.99, which seems pretty fair. So then, are you ready to twist a triangle in directions and your brain into some form of extremely strained pretzel?

, .

1. HexagonalBolts says:

This game was MADE for me

2. Ian says:

This looks quite hexciting.

3. Premium User Badge FunkyB says:

I know this game looks awful, but I really can’t stress enough how satisfying it is. Just like VVVVVV it starts out looking like it will be largely impossible and frustrating as a result. However I found it to be anything but.

It’s gaming distilled to its most raw elements. You start out almost incapable of playing it, scoring no better than 10 seconds over and over again on the easiest level and yet after the fiftieth “just one more go” you find yourself really rather competent at it but with no idea how you improved so much.

That said, all of the above is for the iOS version, so I’m not sure how it will be on the PC. It should be largely the same I’d guess.

4. Sinkytown says:

It’s the perfect mobile game because there’s so little time committed. Finishing an entire mode takes about 80 seconds. Of course, you’re more likely to die after 12.

5. SuperNashwanPower says:

Sort of evil. Quasi-evil. Semi-evil. The margarine of evil. The Diet Coke of evil. Just 1 calorie. Not evil enough

6. DickSocrates says:

I just wonder what state humanity is in when people would rather play this for 5 seconds while waiting in line than look around them and take in the world they live in. It’s like people can’t go any length of time without having their brain buzzed by pure nonsense.

7. Alextended says:

Looks like an Open Hexagon rip off, why would I be eager to pay for something that duplicates a free game which even seemingly has more features to boot?

8. Premium User Badge Hypocee says:

Actually PC-bound, or platform-that-runs-on-PC-bound?