XP-Loaded Explosions: Borderlands 2′s Torgue DLC Out

By Nathan Grayson on November 21st, 2012 at 11:00 am.

ARTSY IMAGE FILTER.

BORDERLANDS 2 TORGUE DLC TORGUE EXPLOSION TORGUE BADASS CRATER TORGUE OUT NOW YEAH. I apologize for the all-caps barrage, but Borderlands 2′s new DLC is very loud, and I felt that my words would be woefully unable to capture its essence in a minuscule, easily-stepped-on state. So right then, TORGUE TORGUE TORGUE TRAILER BOOM POCKET ROCKET DRAGON CAR GIRAFFE RAINBOW WAFFLE.

So many sounds and colors and angry men shouting. But in a very silly, unhinged way, of course. Borderlands 2 isn’t quite Saints Row: The Third, but it’s only a notch or two down on the crazy scale – and climbing fast. Which I’m pretty OK with, honestly. There’s an inherent silliness to action games, but I’m always surprised by how few – in the grand scheme of things – opt to fully embrace it. I mean, I’m not asking for everyone to trade in their honorable medals and grandly thieved autos for big honking clown shoes, but a little laughter never hurt anyone. Well, except that one guy who’s dead now. But honestly, no one really liked him anyway.

As for the content itself, it seems fairly robust – boasting multiple new locations, character cameos, enemies, and 2840384213858392 guns. But is it worth the $9.99 entry fee? Hm. Maybe we should investigate that. For now, though, are you interested? Is that interest perhaps piqued? Are things like explosions and overuse of the word “badass” still funny if you just SAY THEM REALLY, REALLY LOUDLY?

(Note: this in-character Reddit AMA would seem to suggest so, but only when paired with lines like “NOBODY’S PERFECT AND FLAWS ARE INHERENTLY BEAUTIFUL SO THAT’S COOL I GUESS.”)

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Narzhul says:

..looks like a beefcake Walter White.

2. Commander Gun says:

See ya in the christmas sales :)
    It will probably be only be between 25-33% though. However, when it reaches 50%, i defintely buy it (if not during x-mas, than during easter)!

3. Allenomura says:

“400 percent more awesome! Also, Torgue doesn’t make their guns out of freakin’ wood!” :D

4. McDan says:

That in character Reddit AQA is one of the best things I have ever read. Personal favourite:
    –]SayWhatAgainNigga 393 points 1 day ago
    How do you feel about Gaige and her buddy’s ‘Explosive Clap’? Does it compare to your own explosive clap?
    [–]MISTERTORGUE[S] 1126 points 1 day ago
    I FEEL LIKE I COULD MAKE A JOKE ABOUT SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES HERE BUT I WON’T BECAUSE I’M A CLASSY MOTHERF*CKER
    [–]joeyjo0 731 points 1 day ago
    EXPLOSIVE STDS. LIKE BLAMYDIA.
    [–]Midasalexander 209 points 1 day ago
    PROJECTILE DYSFUNCTION
    [–]cbmlmz 48 points 1 day ago
    HEPATITIS C-4

• mondomau says:

Ha, I didn’t see the rest of that conversation. that is brilliant. My personal favourite was:

[–]alloftheproblems 423 points 14 hours ago*
      WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO BLOW SHIT UP MR. TORGUE?
      [–]MISTERTORGUE[S] 1291 points 13 hours ago
      THAT QUESTION IMPLIES I HAVE A LEAST FAVORITE WAY TO BLOW THINGS UP WHICH IS F*CKING QUITTER TALK

5. Revolving Ocelot says:

EXPLOSIONS!?

6. mr.ioes says:

Character reminded me very strongly of President Camacho from Idiocracy. Weird coincidence someone even asked a question about Old Spice on the great AMA (same actor — terry crews).

7. Roz says:

Level cap raised?

8. N says:

Yo’ let’s complain about Mad Moxxi’s design being sexist.

Begin.

• Roz says:

The fact she needed her own walking animation because her tits were so big.

Probably a bit sexist.

• Outsider says:

Ellie needed her own walking animation too because she’s morbidly obese. Tiny Tina had her own walking animation as well because she’s a clutzy teen. If anything, the variety of bodies of both sexes is actually kind of nice.

• maninahat says:

Yeah, I’d go as far to say that the Borderlands series is actually one of the better examples of female character design. I would happily accept one voluptuous female if she is offset by a scrawny girl, a fatso, a demented scientist and a few reasonably dressed vault hunters.

Most games don’t even have plural female characters, let alone characters as diverse as this.

• Xocrates says:

Frankly, I always thought of Moxxi as a good example on how to do that kind of look.

And you know why? Because there are actual reasons for why she looks like that, and she’s never in a situation where that look feels out of place.
      (Also: comedy – it’s easier to get away with a stupid look if we’re not supposed to take it seriously)

If the female vault hunters looked like that, THEN it would feel sexist.

• The_B says:

Funnily enough, at one point there’s a related comment related to that from Torgue in the DLC itself. And it’s friggin’ hilarious. I don’t want to spoil it here myself.

• Jupiah says:

Her outfit isn’t sexist because it makes sense for her career (former arena announcer and current bartender) and also because it’s unique to her, every other female in the game is sensibly dressed. Despite what you may think, people that don’t like sexism in games aren’t against having sexy female characters in games, they just get sick of having 90% of female characters in games being like that.

But beyond that I found Moxxi to be a surprisingly positive female character. Merely the fact that she’s been married 4 times, has 4 kids, has slept around with at least half a dozen male npcs and not once does the game call her a slut or try to shame her or make sexist jokes at her expense kind of shocked me. Plus she used to be a badass fighter and has a bunch of awesome unique guns you can acquire from her, and a fleshed out backstory with personal drama and whatnot. She’s a well-rounded character – much more than just eyecandy.

• CantankerousDave says:

After you sign on with Roxxi to be your promoter, Torgue has a pretty hilarious comment on that subject. (Paraphrasing here) “You should be nice to Moxxi, ‘CAUSE NOTHIN’S MORE BADASS THAN TREATIN’ A WOMAN WITH RESPECT!”

9. Whosi says:

RIP Randy “Macho Man” Savage. Snap into an explosion.

10. MacTheGeek says:

This guy doesn’t look anything like Torgo. He doesn’t take care of the place or anything.

Comment on this story