Medium, Well Done: Clairvoyance Beta

By Adam Smith on November 22nd, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Clairvoyance convinced me that I’d like to sample its asynchronous multiplayer charms by means of an illustrated video of admiration and affection between strangers, interspersed with footage of the game and funky nightclub dancing. Players have control of four boxy robots and, before each round, both must submit their orders. The board, made up of cubes at different heights, can be destroyed by lobbed grenades as the robots attempt to destroy one another. Because turns play out simultaneously, the trick is to predict the opponent’s tactics by knowing their innermost fears and desires. Two videos below and the beta is available now if you spend $5 on a pre-purchase.

Weird digital boardgame romance makes for a good trailer. But do you understand how the game works? It’s not as complex as you might think and the next video, along with these words, should make everything clear.

The beta has only just been made available so I’m interested to see how many players are actually available at any one time. Apparently there are 114 players signed up, which might not be too bad because presumably most of them will take their turns fairly regularly, at least for now. It looks like a smart game and was designed by Erik Svedäng, creator of Blueberry Garden.

, , , , .

1. sneetch says:

Is that Quinns and Reference Pear?

• Synesthesia says:

Oh my, it is!

• hazelprice6 says:

Aaron. even though Edna`s blurb is cool… on wednesday I bought a gorgeous BMW M3 from making $9851 recently and also ten-k last-month. without a doubt it is the most-comfortable work Ive had. I actually started nine months/ago and right away was bringin in over $75 per-hour. I use the details on this website,... http://youtube.qr.net/jNM0/watch?v=X22QHxrwp_E

2. Lu-Tze says:

Title should’ve been “Rare: A medium, well done”. Opportunity for more puns missed.

• The Random One says:

“Well Done, Medium” would have made a lot more sense.

Adam should’ve spent more time cooking that pun, it’d have more raw power that way.

3. NathanH says:

Read that as “four foxy robots”. Reality turned out to be disappointing.

4. DrGonzo says:

I really like the song in the trailer on their site, anyone know who it is?

• hello_mr.Trout says:

el huervo, the same guy who contributed musics to hotline miami (the track with the final boss battle) – he also did the cartoon artworks for the trailer – a very talented fellow

5. SuffixTreeMonkey says:

Ha! Mr. Smith, you thought you could get away with theft, huh? You thought we have forgotten which puns have been used before, didn’t you? We have not, sir!

Medium Well Done: The Blackwell Deception by Mr. Cobbett stands as proof that you have NOT in fact spent the entire afternoon thinking about a pun for your title.

You’ve spent your afternoon playing video games, haven’t you? I can tell! I’m psychic, you know. And I have a good memory. I won’t forget this.

• Ba5 says:

I demand Adam Smith be fired over this.

In case he’s looking for a new job, I heard there’s an opening at MCV.

Museli says:

If I remember correctly, the folks at Wadjet Eye Games liked Mr. Cobbett’s title so much they used it as the name of an achievement in one of the Blackwell games. At least Mr. Smith is only pinching the very best of titles.

• dsi1 says:

Scandal!

6. Tiax says:

The music and the art of the first trailer is made by the guy who created the song you hear after completing a mission in Hotline: Miami (when you’re given a free pizze/video/whatever), ElHuervo.

It’s a really beautiful trailer, liked it a lot.

7. cjlr says:

Simultaneously executing turns is a thing I wish a lot more games did.

My friends and I used to have a Risk variant where that happened, Diplomacy style. That was fun.

And of course, much of my mis-spent youth was occupied by games of Scorched Earth at the back of the classroom. Another case where simultaneous turns made things AWESOME.

• Baines says:

For board games, you can look at Robo Rally. Which was the first thing I thought of when I saw Clairvoyance.

• The First Door says:

It is very Robo Rally-esque… but with grenades and such.

• DJ Madeira says:

Frozen Synapse has this (simultaneous turns). It’s also awesome. This game looks pretty neat too.

8. Yglorba says:

Reminds me a bit of Faselei!, that old Neo-Geo Pocket Color mecha strategy-RPG where both sides had to program lists of commands like this.

9. Roz says:

“Clairvoyance is a multi-player online board game about robots, lasers and perceiving the future.”

Had me at board game, the rest is just gravy.

• Temple says:

At the risk of seeming like a bot, it is well worth clicking on the link in Roz’s name

Anyone seeking similar boardgames would do looking at Robo Rally.
      Co-op versions of similutaneous movement awesome fun would be Space Alert and Red November.