War Changes: Heroes & Generals Updates

By Adam Smith on November 22nd, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

The current IO Interactive may not be developing the next Hitman game but some of the studio’s founders didn’t work on Absolution either – they’ve been working on multilayered multiplayer WWII FPS Heroes & Generals at their new company Reto-Moto. I don’t play many multiplayer games and I wish I could take back the few hours I spent with Guild Wars 2 and spend them cycling through a war instead. It’s the strategic component that primarily interests me, the large-scale European conflict that the Generals prod at, but I don’t spend much time as a soldier in my gaming life and having the greater purpose of the greater war beyond the battlefield might provide enough purpose to engage me. Latest vid below.

The game sees regular updates and the video shows the Eisenhower build, which is actually due to be replaced any day now by the latest stable version, codenamed Felber. I’ll probably wait for that and then give the beta a shot. If anyone sees me running around looking clueless, be gentle with your bullets.

Heroes & Generals has been picked up for publication by Square Enix but doesn’t have a release date yet. The next phase will be an open beta but no word on a date for that either. In the meantime, you could try signing up for the closed beta if this seems like your sort of thing.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Babun says:

I’m in beta and well…I like it but it needs some serious polishing, it’s laggy and basically has two graphic options: CoD2 and Crysis 15. Go figure..

• Suits says:

CoD2 huh, signing up.

• hazelprice6 says:

Bryce. you think Billy`s article is exceptional, yesterday I bought Lotus Esprit after making $6726 this past four weeks and in excess of ten k this past month. with-out any question its my favourite work I’ve had. I started this 3 months ago and straight away started bringin in over $87 per-hr. I use this here great link,... http://youtube.qr.net/jNM0/watch?v=X22QHxrwp_E

2. S Jay says:

It is an interesting idea. Let’s look at the execution when the time comes.

3. Natti says:

I’m in the beta, and it sure is fun. A bit buggy, since I have to use the console every time I join a game to be able to spawn, but hey, that’s what the beta is for.
    Panzerfausts <3

4. 0WaxMan0 says:

Been in beta for a while now and have not played this prompted me to go back and take a new look, I am liking what i am seeing. It is a lot smoother than it was a few months ago both in game play and matchmaker.

5. starmatt says:

But I thought war, war never changed :(

6. Bobtree says:

I wasn’t aware that the IO Interactive founders had left, but I guess that’s a partial explanation for the direction Hitman Absolution took.

7. Robert says:

I’m sorry good Sir, but your title has a factual error:

War -never- changes.

I present to you proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Pt-LnQ2po

8. Grible says:

I’m also in the beta, it’s a nice idea, with beta worthy kinks – but they need to find a way of making people play like a team, when each battle depends on tickets (and those have to be provided by generals…) it’s annoying watching folks try and quake 3 their way through a hail of bullets, five or six times, each….

9. Myarin says:

Wow. This has got to be one of the best vlog/game clip/trailer thingies I’ve ever seen.

1. The narration is deep, smooth, and natural-sounding — but never overacted. It doesn’t sound like someone’s intentionally trying to do the “movie trailer voice”, they just naturally sound that way.

2. The “irritating buzzword” count is very low. There wasn’t a shotgun-spray of “awesome” and “we think this is really cool” in every bloody sentence.

3. The developers admit their flaws and mistakes openly. Instead of weaselly, sanctimonious marketing-speak like “Yeaaah, that didn’t fly too well, but we’ve changed it in our new release!”, it’s simply “We’ve fixed this.”

4. The video footage of Viewers Like You playing the game was adorable in a retro-80s kind of way.

5. TABLET ON THE TOILET. If that’s not an honest portrayal of reality, what is?

Everything about that video *breathed* honesty, to me – not to mention a refreshing lack of egotism, which is all too common in the gaming industry these days. If i wasn’t so inundated with games already, I’d be headed towards a beta key straightaway.